AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-21, 16:55   Link #1
daimond

Location: Im at the University of Pittsburgh, hopefully not for much longer
Counting up the Mysteries[manga spoilers]

One Piece is a looooong series of books and movies. But unlike some others like Inuyasha or Dragonball, One Piece is the only long series that still has development and mystery. It's not just the same old same old even after all this time. Still feels to me like the episodes are under the hundreds. But yeah, I was thinking why and I think it has to be all the mysteries. The big ones, not just the obvious ones. So I thought a count of all the things we still need to know before the series end would be interesting. A lot of them are probably related.

* What the heck is one piece
* What's the "lost history" that Robin's always talking about. We know it's what ten or a hundred years with no record but that's about it.
* WHO THE HELL IS MONKEY D. LUFFY!!!!??? the guy drifts by in a barrel and there the story starts. Where's he come from, why does he aim for a pirate. It took forever to find out he had a brother.
* More about the Shichibukai, the marines, those five elders, etc.
* WHO SAVED LUFFY WHEN HE WAS ABOUT TO GET DECAPITATED??? I'd almost forgotten before I started counting. But it was some guy that could control the weather, not just lightning because we've met the lightning fruit eater. Smoker asks though, why did whoever save Luffy when Buggy was about to cut his head off. I mite be wrong about this but it was made pretty clear that it was someone, not destiny or wutever.
* Of course there's Grand Blue and Gol D. Roger's past. And then lots of little stuff like what's Blackbeard doing now, who'll replace Crocodile, not to mention "what will happen in the next issue." But that's the most important things that I BETTER know by the end of the manga and anime. I'm sure there's more.
Old 2004-11-21, 19:00   Link #2
defunct
Expendable Hero

Quote:
* What the heck is one piece
Gold Roger's Treasure? If we knew this mystery, then the OP would be over :P

Quote:
* What's the "lost history" that Robin's always talking about. We know it's what ten or a hundred years with no record but that's about it.
I'd say remnants of the lost history would be among Skypiea, but for the "True History" that Robin is always talking about, if I'd guess it would have to do with the ancient weapons.
Quote:
* WHO THE HELL IS MONKEY D. LUFFY!!!!??? the guy drifts by in a barrel and there the story starts. Where's he come from, why does he aim for a pirate.
Answered in the first few chapters. I'm guessing he became a pirate as his dream after he met Shanks. He probably went on with the whole thing to prove Shanks wrong about Luffy not having "what it took to be a pirate" thus started the whole pirate king situation.

Quote:
WHO SAVED LUFFY WHEN HE WAS ABOUT TO GET DECAPITATED???
The guy named Dragon, he hasn't been mentioned in the manga yet since.

Yeah I know, this reply is four months late. So what? :P

Another speculation of mine, has anyone ever thought of the idea of Shanks being part of the Shichibukai? I mean, he seems to have that whole mysterious hidden strength look around him, and in the anime episode 45 (not sure if he agrees to in the manga) or so when Luffy gets his first bounty Shanks is seen drinking with Mihawk, a Shichibukai. (Read edit below signature)

Last edited by defunct; 2004-11-21 at 22:06. Reason: Upon inspection from research, Mihawk found the handicap more of a turn-off reducing any strength acknowledgment
Old 2004-11-21, 20:31   Link #3
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Milhawk didn't fight shanks because 1) he didn't want to, 2) he didn't feel like fighting, and 3) he was just there to deliver a message. If milhawk was there to defeat shanks, he would have jumped him without hesitation. But since he had no intention of fighting shanks he didn't bother picking a fight that to him had no meaning. I've noticed that about milhawk. He won't pick meaningless fights for no reason, but once he's in a fight, he'll sure as he** win it.
Old 2004-11-21, 21:11   Link #4
defunct
Expendable Hero

Did you even read my post? My question was based on a speculation (a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence )concerning Shichibukai relations with Shanks. Nowhere did I ask "Why didn't Mihawk and Shanks fight?" It was pretty much answered in the manga already. Mihawk said he wasn't interested in fighting the handicapped. I never said Mihawk was there to pick a fight, I said they were merely having a drink. As in socializing, I was implying that birds of a feather flock together. The "message" that Mihawk delivered was Luffy's bounty (Chapter 96)

EDIT: Nevermind, noticed some things to make it safe to assume that Shanks is pretty much an unlikely candidate.

Last edited by defunct; 2004-11-22 at 02:34. Reason: eye'm a perfekshoonust.
Old 2004-11-21, 22:04   Link #5
RedEyes
Beware of the Red

Send a message via ICQ to RedEyes Send a message via MSN to RedEyes
The mysteries I'm really concern are...

WTH happened when Shanks and WhiteBeard met, and......

Where are the BlackBeards now?

Of course also all the mysteries thats happening right now. Including both Ultimate weapons in Alabasta and Water 7.

Pluton and the other one with the name I can't get my mind on right now..
Old 2004-11-21, 22:12   Link #6
defunct
Expendable Hero

If I can remember, wasn't Blackbeard last mentioned on Drum Island? or was that Jaya..? Correct me if I'm wrong :P
Old 2004-11-21, 22:16   Link #7
hi no ken Jebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by defunct
If I can remember, wasn't Blackbeard last mentioned on Drum Island? or was that Jaya..? Correct me if I'm wrong :P
jaya was the last you see of blackbeard as he was floating and watching luffy and co fly up to skypiea. i had to recheck but the event of lafayette the crazy excop from the blackbeard gang being the only one who meets with the 5 stars and he nominated his captain as a candidate to replace crocodile happened before blackbeard failed to catch luffy.

Last edited by hi no ken Jebus; 2004-11-21 at 22:32.
Old 2004-11-21, 22:20   Link #8
defunct
Expendable Hero

Was he in the meeting with the 5 elders at any point, or am I thinking of a completely different situation altogether?

or was it 3 elders? bah

Last edited by defunct; 2004-11-22 at 00:57.
Old 2004-11-21, 22:42   Link #9
UserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by defunct
Was he in the meeting with the 5 elders at any point, or am I thinking of a completely different situation altogether?
I don't think so. He had a representative, Lapahlm or something like that go to a meeting where the shichibukai were present.
Old 2004-11-21, 23:17   Link #10
RedEyes
Beware of the Red

Yup Black Beard was in Jaya last and they just watch Straw Hats fly up into the sky. Afterwards they said, something like "Don't worry, GrandLine is where all the strong people get together in a place and meet" Or something with like almost the same meaning as that. I want to know where they went after because their crew is like the exact same as Luffy's except the doctor was a "Death" doctor and the sharpshooter was brave(I think). I can't wait to see a deathmatch between them and Strawhats. I can see it now.....
Old 2004-12-01, 09:23   Link #11
Neophos
I´m from Sweden ^_^

Send a message via AIM to Neophos Send a message via MSN to Neophos
I thought of something..

Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-01, 10:49   Link #12
Yoska
フランキー

Crocodile's weakness isn't just water but all kinds of liquids. Luffy used his own blood to beat Croc. All Devil Fruit users are weak to the sea stone (it drowns their strenght), a mineral that exist in the seas of One Piece world (hence the weakness to sea water) and also in some other forms. And perhaps for example there isn't any sea stone in vaporized water.
Old 2004-12-01, 18:26   Link #13
Neophos
I´m from Sweden ^_^

Send a message via AIM to Neophos Send a message via MSN to Neophos
but why is only Croc. vulnerable to liquids, and not all the others?

I know that sand turns into mud when it gets wet, but the water should be some kind of generic weakness...

Also, i been thinking, what kind of extreme powers must Whitebeard have? I have probles seeing anyone being stronger then Ace, Eneru and Aokiji..
Old 2004-12-02, 08:29   Link #14
Yoska
フランキー

Croc is sand, when sand is dipped with liquid it will solidify. That's for Croc wasn't able to turn into sand while Luffy was punching him. Logia fruits are the most powerfull of them all but apparently all of them have a weakness of some kind, like Ener's weakness is all conducting materials.

By the way chapter 347 "Six methods" is out.
Old 2004-12-03, 01:13   Link #15
RedEyes
Beware of the Red

Omg you know what I just realize.... Shanks is strong WITHOUT a devil fruit because remember in the first chapter. He was in the ocean saving Luffy. I highly doubt he ate somedevil fruit something in the middle of the process of Luffy growing up.

But seriously I would really love to see Shanks fight. Anytime now...
Old 2004-12-06, 21:04   Link #16
Maskedstranger

I don't know if I skipped it, but who was it that fixed their boat when they were in the god's forest?
Old 2004-12-06, 21:30   Link #17
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimond
* WHO THE HELL IS MONKEY D. LUFFY!!!!??? the guy drifts by in a barrel and there the story starts. Where's he come from, why does he aim for a pirate. It took forever to find out he had a brother.
* Of course there's Grand Blue and Gol D. Roger's past.
If Gold D. Roger turns out to be Luffy's Father/Grandfather like Ao Kiji was suggesting, I'm going to be very unhappy.
Old 2004-12-06, 21:52   Link #18
UserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
If Gold D. Roger turns out to be Luffy's Father/Grandfather like Ao Kiji was suggesting, I'm going to be very unhappy.
Aokiji suggest Gol D Roger was Luffy's grandfather? If anything it kind of made it seem a lot less likely...
Old 2005-12-19, 16:42   Link #19
kljs
Codename : Dreams

Send a message via ICQ to kljs Send a message via MSN to kljs Send a message via Yahoo to kljs
Actually, we have not seen Shanks fighting at all. Don't even know how strong he is. However, if the World Goverment is having a close eye on Shanks and his crew, that means, he is one hell of a pirate in the Grand Line. And his relationship with Whitebeard suggests that he is up there among the strongest pirates or something like that. I would love to see Shanks fight though.

and isn't the pirate king's name Gol D. Roger(Skypie Arc's confirmed)(people probably mistook the name and call him GolD Roger).
Old 2005-12-19, 17:27   Link #20
LastDuaL
Drunken Samurai

One Piece has a TON of mysteries. A few more:

What exactly is the relation between those that have a "D." in their names and carry on the "will of D"? That D had to come from somewhere...

Who exactly is Dragon and what is this coming "revolution"? (I take it there's more to it than Bellamy's little ideals)

Who is Pandaman and how does he show up everywhere??
Closed Thread