AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2019-03-02, 03:05   Link #1
Ingenuity
Professional lurker

Why do people hate CGI so much?

Anime is going to have SOME cgi in it. It lessens teh workload of the animators (i'd assume) and when done right it looks pretty awesome.

You peeps aren't doing anyone any favors by being purists. It just slows progress within society.
Old 2019-03-02, 03:49   Link #2
Vegard Aune

"When done right it looks pretty awesome"

...Because that. It's hardly ever "done right". It always sticks out like a sore thumb. Or at least, all the instances people notice stick out like a sore thumb, which colors people's perception of it. Oh sure, I hear that Land of the Lustrous was considered to be pretty remarkable... but the sheer fact that people had to go "No seriously, it looks good! I know it's CGI and all, but just look at it!" gives a pretty clear indicator that, yeah, there's a pretty strong stigma by now of CGI in anime being ugly.
Old 2019-03-02, 14:48   Link #3
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenuity View Post
Anime is going to have SOME cgi in it. It lessens teh workload of the animators (i'd assume) and when done right it looks pretty awesome.

You peeps aren't doing anyone any favors by being purists. It just slows progress within society.
Anime artstyle just don't translated that well to 3D CGI unless animated with a massive budget allow to match the 2d style and animation, is make of the ground for 3D(like soe videogames) or make compromise, that is why is hard, for ever land of lustrous we got massive berserk 3d or fisth of azue sky too
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-03, 18:03   Link #4
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Because when done right, it's invisible and when done wrong, it's CGI. Hence it will only ever be noticed when done wrong. Take Ghibli's Mononoke-hime for example. That movie has lots of CGI and most people don't even realize it.

CGI done wrong is comparable to stop-motion, imho, with all it's drawbacks and none of the charm. The problem is probably that CGI done right is way more costly than just not using CGI at all. Meaning to benefit from CGI, it has to be done wrong. At that point I find it preferable to reduce the workload some other way. Shaft proved with the Monogatari series, that this is possible without feeling cheap.
Old 2019-04-02, 22:15   Link #5
Ryan Dave Jimenez

I think it's because it looks artificial.

Because it was made by a computer and not a human being. (The tweens were generated by a machine and not done by hand)

It also doesn't help that fans have been used to handmade animation for years. And some want to keep it that way.

Of course how will the medium progress if we don't take chances? Personally, I think it's fine for scenes or things that are tough to do by hand. Like huge armies or crowds.
Ryan Dave Jimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-03, 08:17   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I was amused to see how much the badly-rendered CGI bear dominated the discussion of Golden Kamuy. It distracted from appreciation of what is a truly excellent series.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-03, 15:42   Link #7
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

If it is purely CG, then that is fine (like Revisions, Kemurikusa). But when it is added inside a drawn anime for the sake of saving budget, it stands out.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-06, 13:22   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I just watched The Magnificent KOTOBUKI by Mizushima Tsutomu and thought it makes good use of 3-D modelling for the aircraft. I never found them annoying.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-13, 12:18   Link #9
dragon1412

Like 0cean said, because when it done right most people won't probably realized it, Truth to be told, scene using CGI is a lot more common than most people think, but the CGI that we are talking specifically about is that they are trying to cut the budget, so It hard to actually make the CGi conform to the animations, that is why they are sticking out. It less extreme when you watch an anime made purely of CGI but it stand out a lot when use with normal anime due to differences in continuity and art style. Good CGI is plenty, for recent anime : Fate zero, Fate UBW is an impressive use of CGI, for less impressive but still good nonetheless, attack on titan. and there is also pure CGi art like Rakuen tsuihou.

Again, what people don't like is that the CGI is more used as budget cutting and cheap low quality option rather than hating CGI itself. CGI done right is amazing. But most of the time, they don't reach that level
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-15, 13:13   Link #10
ArrowSmith

Because it's usually done badly.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-15, 13:31   Link #11
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
Because it's usually done badly.
And looks so jarring, even in good show, example Tanjiro water dragon attack looks so dissonant the whole anime
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote