AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-12-28, 18:43   Link #21
???
Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
Pfeh, when WTC went down they said there would be over 10.000 dead. In the end there was less than half of that so I would guess the same applies here: 5.000 dead. And this time there isn't Bin Laden to blame... or is there?
The news always ALWAYS exaggerate just like they did on 9/11 when they mentioned (the pentagon attacked by terrorists)

I mean, they love to scare peoples or maybe to keep peoples giving more charity. I know ther games
??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 19:00   Link #22
Thelastguardian

Normally I would join in the discussion, but this time unforturnately one of my boss is(was) taking a vacation on an island in Thailand. I am currently trying to contact him but as you can probably guess, I can't find him. Either the waves knocked out the phoneline or....
Old 2004-12-28, 19:19   Link #23
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Send a message via MSN to Reaver4k
Wow. If it wernt for Forums and people who cared I would never know this stuff happens.

Edit: On a note. 3rd world countrys dont spend enough on earth quake reforced Buildings or upgraded buildings. So when one hits alot of people die.
Reaver4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 19:41   Link #24
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

You'd better change the topic to 50.000+ fatalities.

Personally I think we can expect around 100.000, and that's not even counting the deaths that will follow through the diseases of the floating bodies and the lack of food in the disaster areas.

I did a random search on disaster since I was so shocked by the recent events and found out that this one is relatively not so bad.

I was shocked to see that the highest earthquake death toll in modern times
was caused by one that hit Tangshan, China, on July 28,1 976. The official figure of 655,237 deaths.

And 500 years ago, An earthquake that struck the Shaanxi, Shanxi, and Henan Provinces of China on February 2, 1556, is believed to have killed approximately 830,000

and that's just for EQs, the hurricane in bangladesh in 1970 killed around a million people.

Im not saying this one isn't bad since it has "few" fatalities in comparison to previous disasters. I basically learned that all kinds of terrible disasters happend that no mortal hand can stop. Certainly in these times it's almost akward that we have nobody to point fingers at. Only mother Nature.
Old 2004-12-28, 19:53   Link #25
snoopy007
Opethhhhh

Send a message via AIM to snoopy007 Send a message via MSN to snoopy007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animizzle
You'd better change the topic to 50.000+ fatalities.

Personally I think we can expect around 100.000, and that's not even counting the deaths that will follow through the diseases of the floating bodies and the lack of food in the disaster areas.

I did a random search on disaster since I was so shocked by the recent events and found out that this one is relatively not so bad.

I was shocked to see that the highest earthquake death toll in modern times
was caused by one that hit Tangshan, China, on July 28,1 976. The official figure of 655,237 deaths.

And 500 years ago, An earthquake that struck the Shaanxi, Shanxi, and Henan Provinces of China on February 2, 1556, is believed to have killed approximately 830,000

and that's just for EQs, the hurricane in bangladesh in 1970 killed around a million people.

Im not saying this one isn't bad since it has "few" fatalities in comparison to previous disasters. I basically learned that all kinds of terrible disasters happend that no mortal hand can stop. Certainly in these times it's almost akward that we have nobody to point fingers at. Only mother Nature.
I read on Yahoo! news that this was likely the most costly disaster ever, though I'm not so sure about the credibility of that.
snoopy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 20:10   Link #26
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
The news always ALWAYS exaggerate just like they did on 9/11 when they mentioned (the pentagon attacked by terrorists)

I mean, they love to scare peoples or maybe to keep peoples giving more charity. I know ther games
Pentagon was attacked by terrorists. I had to go into the Pentagon and recover files from my dead friends desks. Yes, I worked at the Pentagon and I did see the dead bodies or what were left of my friends. It's nice to talk about things when you do not see it. the news does not even come close to showing the devistation of the Pentagon or the people who were killed this week.

When the UN criticizes the US (and company) of being stingy, it's all crock and political grandstanding on the backs of dead and suffering people. Instead of criticizing aid and the inflated number, people should go and help. When you have to pick up friends and put them in body bags, let me know how it feels. (Trust me, I didn't eat for a few days).

BTW, yes, I lost a few more friends (3 known, and a few more unaccounted for). I was lucky. I was on a plane from Sri Lanka heading back to the US when it hit.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 20:20   Link #27
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Great, I smell a Flame war. I will be staying away from this thread.
Old 2004-12-28, 20:52   Link #28
naantje
Annoyance :)

Please have some respect, stay on-topic... its already 55k plus now... R.I.P.
Old 2004-12-28, 21:21   Link #29
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Tis a sad holiday for one of my friends here in Canada. He (lo and behold) is from Sri Lanka, one the cities largest hit by the earthquake. He has some family over there, and for him it has been extremely painful to watch his people being flooded over and dying, and he can do nothing about it. Apparently one of his family member (brother) over there is dead...ouch.

Personally I've been in an earthquake, albeit not as big as this one. It was the LA earthquake of 1994 (early January? I forgot), when I was in 2nd grade. Only a "paltry" 6.7 magnitude. That's...another experience I'll discuss in an more appropriate thread .
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 22:17   Link #30
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver4k
Wow. If it wernt for Forums and people who cared I would never know this stuff happens.

Edit: On a note. 3rd world countrys dont spend enough on earth quake reforced Buildings or upgraded buildings. So when one hits alot of people die.
Well this time they were hit by tsunami's so even EQ reinforced buildings wouldn't have helped alot
Actually I'm more afraid about the aftershocks, those are known to cause alot more deaths, not to mention flooding in this scenario. There will most likely be a massive amount of death to due to diseases that follow, lack of hygiene, clean water, non-contaminated food etc.

But you know what I find the worst, on tv around here they are more concerned about the few vacation places in Thailand that got hit (and are now off limits to tourists) than the drama taking place in Sri Lanka, India and Indonesia. They are talking more about rebuilding hotels than actually sending aid. Hell they even invite more tour operators to talk about the consequences for their business than to talk about the human drama. Goes to show how some people really are....
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 22:29   Link #31
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Excuse my Bluntness..

But Natural Disasters are nothing more then the Earths way of culling the overpopulated human herd.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 22:38   Link #32
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
But you know what I find the worst, on tv around here they are more concerned about the few vacation places in Thailand that got hit (and are now off limits to tourists) than the drama taking place in Sri Lanka, India and Indonesia. They are talking more about rebuilding hotels than actually sending aid. Hell they even invite more tour operators to talk about the consequences for their business than to talk about the human drama. Goes to show how some people really are....
Thats how the world works. They hotels are worth more then their own people.
Old 2004-12-28, 22:44   Link #33
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???

Probubly true, but I think they're getting bored with the war in iraq and this is fresh meat for the fire. Most recent number I heard was 65,000+ which is interesting because when this started out just a day ago it was just around 1000 and not expected to go much higher.

Gotta love our news media.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 22:59   Link #34
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

They are using a Random Number program.
Something like this.

var killed = randint(1000:1000000)
Old 2004-12-28, 23:48   Link #35
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Actually, I think it's more like they're using an exponential generator.

1 dead = 1000 dead. Or something like that. Kinda like the body count generator they had in Vietnam.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 00:02   Link #36
Entropy
Flame warrior

Reports are now coming in of over 60,000 dead,over 50,000 from Sri Lanka and Indonesia alone.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 00:09   Link #37
wao
OK.

I wonder if you ever considered the fact that for once, they might not be exaggerating as much as they did for the 911 incident? A lot of the places that were hit were rural and were completely unaware - it was Sunday and such huge tsunamis are rare in those places. I think the reason why the number of people who died skyrocketed was that at first, there was simply nobody to report who was dead because entire communities died. That is why Indonesia's death toll jumped from a few hundred to a few thousand very fast. That is also why nobody knew what the heck happened to Mauritius because for a while there was simply nobody to call.

BUt of course they probably have been exaggerating some parts a bit. Always helps to yank up the tear factor. It's true that lot of those places need a helluva lot of goodwill and charity, though.

I think the best attitude to adopt is to just get over it, though. The most practical option would be to be levelheaded and start working through the problems that happen. Crying and feeling sorrowful may be inevitable but unfortunately don't help in the least bit. It's contagious, in fact. Ironic that I should be arguing over it...
Old 2004-12-29, 00:56   Link #38
Ero-Sannin

Send a message via MSN to Ero-Sannin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
Excuse my Bluntness..

But Natural Disasters are nothing more then the Earths way of culling the overpopulated human herd.
excuse my bluntness, but human herd ?

if someone you knew died there, would you still think that " Natural Disasters are nothing more then the Earths way of culling the overpopulated human herd".
Ero-Sannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 01:00   Link #39
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
Excuse my Bluntness..

Dammit u took the words right from my mou... i mean keybord
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 01:10   Link #40
AzureSky

Well it's sad but you can't entirely blame people who worry about hotel/tourist resorts because from what i heard if i'm not mistaken tourism provides roughly 40% of Thailand's GDP. I can imagine now that the country's economic condition is a little disturbed since a lot of hotels, resorts, tourist destinations, etc were suddenly destroyed in a day. More people will suffer in the long run if no rebuilding plans start to be made.

I'm not saying they are right, but they are not wrong either. The victims should be the first priority.
AzureSky is offline   Reply With Quote