AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-05, 10:47   Link #101
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
I actually thought the first episode was nothing special. It wasn't too bad to get through, and wasn't wow can't wait until next episode.
Old 2013-04-05, 11:01   Link #102
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was your standard Light Novel fare. Decent enough, I suppose. The verbal exchanges between the MC and Yukino were pretty entertaining, and by far the highlight of this first episode. It could have been even better if the directing was more inspired.

Hayamin's performance was excellent. It's not often I get to hear her play an aloof, arrogant, and frank character like Yukino.
Old 2013-04-05, 13:02   Link #103
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The verbal exchanges between the MC and Yukino were pretty entertaining, and by far the highlight of this first episode.
That was expected if you watched all those previews, hehe.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 13:31   Link #104
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yeah verbal exchanges were good, but lacks a certain something. The anime doesn't give off the impression that Hiki and Yukinon are of two diametrically opposite way of thinking despite both of them being 'lonely'.

But hey, this might just me reading the manga version beforehand, so I'm a bit biased. If I had gone into this without knowing anything, I bet it would've been good in my eyes.

Finally, I love Hayamin in these roles, and much prefer it to the spineless ojousama in RDG, or the likes of yamato nadeshiko in Bakuman. No, it's the sharp tongued, blunt characters like Tsuruko in Anohana that IMO where she excels at.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 13:52   Link #105
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I think Hayami Saori has one of the most "beautiful" singing voices in the world. Her ED here shows it off. But her performance as a seiyuu in this show is also great. Awardable. She really makes this character live. From her radio show with Yuuki Aoi, we know that she is (a) a college student and (b) capable and mature (especially by contrast with the wonderfully flaky Ao-chan).

The MC is a little much for me, but the slowness of his transformation is nothing if not realistic. It's our heroine who steals the show, however.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 14:08   Link #106
ookamigirl

Lots of awkward moments.
The story isn't very impressive.
The animation is good, but the story lacks that something.
Looks like this one is just not my thing.
Will be skipping it.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 15:46   Link #107
AzureWrath

Call me crazy, but I'm getting a strange Yuno (Mirai Nikki) vibe from Yukino. Must the the small ribbons in her hair and her strange outlook on life.

Hiki is obviously Araragi from Bakemonogatari. Yukino even called him out as M in the very first episode. Going to that club, taking abuse from everyone around him, and eating that cookie makes me think he is a closet masochist. That hair antennae also solidifies him in the Arararararagi camp.

Anyway, the episode itself.....was mediocre. Mediocre art. Mediocre animation. Mediocre direction. It might have been the subs I watched (or my slow reading), but I had a hard time digesting what the characters were saying before it shifted to the next line. I'll give it another watch to determine if fault lies with me, the subs, or the direction.

As for the story, I think I can pretty much map out how it will go from this one episode alone. I don't expect anything new, but I'm willing to give it a few more episodes. Not much out this season yet anyway. Maybe I'll be surprised and see this show deconstruct the whole Rom Com trope.
Old 2013-04-05, 16:20   Link #108
Tenzen12

to be fair to him, he tried avoid club, but Sensei caught him, punched him and promised that he will not leave school in mere three years if he try it again.

It just didn't get animated...

Btw why not try guess what happen in next episode then?
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 16:33   Link #109
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Like the exchanges between Hachimon and Yukino.
Old 2013-04-05, 16:56   Link #110
ChampDream
Alive

like it so far, but the pace did feel a little fast at the beginning
Old 2013-04-05, 17:21   Link #111
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Out of all the alternative titles this series has, "My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU" is probably my fave lol.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 18:51   Link #112
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Actually, this episode was exactly what I had envisioned it to be Some improvements could be made to better the timing and impact of the banter between the two main characters, but I like how both of them give as good as they get, which is important for an 'antagonistic' relationship

Before the start of the season, I had bet on "Haganai, but better." so I'm looking forward to see if it's true or even excel expectations.

It did won 8th place in last year's Light Novel ranking after all.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 19:05   Link #113
Midonin
Last Engage

One thing I can't help but notice about this show is the color palette. It's very black and white with some red to it. That Yui's hair is red instead of black like a whole lot of the cast only serves to make her stand out even more. The design of the uniforms, of the school, everything. A series' color palette can set the mood most of the time, and it stood out very clearly here. It made everything feel kind of... detached, I'd say. Compare this to PhotoKano, which, while it also uses a "realistic" color palette, opts more for browns and blues, and softer lighting, and that makes a very noticeable difference in both the characters and the environment.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 19:14   Link #114
YourIdeas

Was expecting quite a bit more from the first episode, though I think that various first impressions from others just gave me overly high expectations. There wasn't a lot of cynical impact in the dialogue as I was hoping for. Still, the exchanges between Hikki and Yukino are decent enough to keep me watching, so hopefully, the series will pick up from there.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 19:28   Link #115
takai
Easy Muffin

Good stuff, this was the one I was looking forward to too. I'm calling love triangle by episode 5.

Main guy is a BOSS.

Last edited by takai; 2013-04-05 at 19:51.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 19:32   Link #116
Somnus
Eh?

It's not like they were breaking new ground with the conversations that took place, but that had no impact on the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed them nonetheless. I also like how Hikki approached the cookie thing. Couldn't agree more.

All in all, I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. Will continue to watch with anticipation.
Old 2013-04-05, 20:23   Link #117
Shadow5YA

The animation seemed pretty sub-par to me. The seiyuu did a great job with the dialogue, but with the mediocre visuals I felt like I could have listened to an audio only drama CD and missed out on little of anything.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 20:25   Link #118
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 20:28   Link #119
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Wasn't expecting a lot from the first episode, but mostly turned out to be ok. It wasn't outstanding, but seemed solid enough to keep on following on.

That was certainly a good spin on the cookie solution. On that note, actually did like the episode.
Old 2013-04-05, 20:38   Link #120
Elestia

Was kind of reminded of OreShura. It had a really good first episode with some smart dialogue between the main male and female leads of the show. Hopefully, it doesn't quickly devolve into a romcom. One thing that turned me off in OreShura was how cliched it became and how dull the conversations became.

If they manage to keep the dialogue sharp enough I'll keep watching it.

Tags
drama, romantic comedy, school life, shounen