AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-06, 15:41   Link #2201
Kyuu
=^^=

I voted.

And I feel damn lucky to watch Joe Biden's motorcade drive by on the expressway (as it was blocked to clear a pathway for the motorcade).

In addition, watch this:

Old 2012-11-06, 15:46   Link #2202
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Voted and took my 95 year old grandmother to vote as well.
Old 2012-11-06, 15:53   Link #2203
willx
Nyaaan~~

As a Canadian bystander, I want to encourage all my U.S. neighbours regardless of political affiliation to vote, and let's all celebrate democracy in action!

The outlook is positive
Old 2012-11-06, 16:01   Link #2204
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
As a Canadian bystander, I want to encourage all my U.S. neighbours regardless of political affiliation to vote, and let's all celebrate democracy in action!

The outlook is positive
You should encourage them to read, too. I hear the bridge question is worded such that a "yes" vote is actually voting against the bridge. Granted that's more Michigan than the US as a whole, but still.
Old 2012-11-06, 16:07   Link #2205
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sort of like one of our Propositions here. (Prop 34) It says "Death Penalty. Initiative Statute" However it is to Repeal the death penality and replace it with life imprisonment without possibility of parole, including retroactively changing currently sentanced criminals for the death penalty to Life. (tagged onto it are funding of $100 million for local law enforment into investigates of homicide and rape cases.)
Old 2012-11-06, 16:11   Link #2206
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
As for the subject of electoral college, I actually would like to see proportional voting. If the result of the voting in a state is 60-40 then the electoral college splits 60-40.
I think each state should be electorally decided. Then that states full points go to who won. Seems strange to have the states dediced differently than the country.

I'm from MN so we have same problem, as my illustration below, where 75% of the population is condensed in the twin cities/metro area. We have 87 counties and basically only 4 of them matter.

Practically the rest of the counties don't matter at all vote wise.

I would like to see each county get an electoral count. Then depending on who wins that wins the state. Have both State and Country be electorally decided.

Just look at this Illinois map

The vote ended up being like 48%-46% so roughly 50% and was total difference 100,000 votes, so close race.

But seriously look at the spread of the votes. The blue won 3, ONLY 3 counties. I don't know who won, don't even know who these guys are or what they running for (guessing govorner) didn't read this too carefully. But seriously it looks like the state would want Kirk to be their (governer?) There is 102 counties and Giannoulias only won 3 of them.
Old 2012-11-06, 16:12   Link #2207
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh... our state's initiative process has a judicial committee whose sole purpose is to rewrite misleading propositions and get rid of double negatives, etc. It can also deny "omnibus" initiatives (that should be split up, like e.g. "legalize weed, stop abortion" would get zapped).

It doesn't stop stupidity from reaching the ballot, but it does make it pretty clear when its a stupid initiative.

@Simonsy - its a mistake to look at a map and go by "Square mileage" - the results are by population density. Try to see if you can find a map that redefines a county's graphic size by population density. They have them for the U.S. but not sure about individual states.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2008/

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-11-06 at 16:17. Reason: actual source
Old 2012-11-06, 16:14   Link #2208
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Stupid question time: What is "ME2" in the upper right next to Maine? Also the numbers for Vermont and New Hampshire or not listed.
Old 2012-11-06, 16:17   Link #2209
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

So on california proposition 37 to label GMO's.

Does this actually incur any significant bureaucracy costs?

It's the only thing making me hesitant on this about, otherwise I'm all for transparency on our food labels.
Old 2012-11-06, 16:17   Link #2210
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Oh please... don't let Bush vs Gore happen again.
Old 2012-11-06, 16:19   Link #2211
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post

It's the only thing making me hesitant on this about, otherwise I'm all for transparency on our food labels.
Supporters said No
Opponent said Additional $400 annually on the grocery bill of a family of 4.
Old 2012-11-06, 16:21   Link #2212
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:

I try to figure, "why bother". On a real level, nearly all our food has been genetical engineered, just over time via selective breeding. (Chicken with larger breasts...plants with either higher yield, or specific colors...those have been done for generations since the they started breeding roses, or domesticated animals for specific traits.
Old 2012-11-06, 16:21   Link #2213
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Supporters said No
Opponents mainly being large corporations not wanting to pay the money. I voted Yes on it because well before those large corps started pushing ads it had something like a 70% support among voters, then they poured in 6 times as much money as the people supporting the measure and all of sudden now it's less than 50% support.

So damn stupid how easily controlled by media we are as a nation.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2012-11-06, 16:22   Link #2214
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

The food companies already have to label their food this way in most of the rest of the world. If CA Prop 37 passes, they're likely to just change the labels nationally.

Seriously, the opposition to putting basic information on food so the *free market* can work is just whining.

Heck, I'd like to see cattle tracked from farm to table individually as well (cue more whining, sorry my family runs cattle and they think its insane not to track cattle)
Old 2012-11-06, 16:25   Link #2215
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Here is something to lighten the mood.

Old 2012-11-06, 16:25   Link #2216
Green²
It's bacon!

It took me around ten minutes to get through the voting, but at least the lines were short this time around during the morning start. No "I Voted" sticker this time, since they probably ran out due to the fairly good turnout. The only thing that I felt uncomfortable with again, was how the paper ballot scanner machine looked and functioned remarkably similar to a Fellowes Powershred. (No joke. It actually looks similar to one of those. )
Old 2012-11-06, 16:31   Link #2217
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Stupid question time: What is "ME2" in the upper right next to Maine? Also the numbers for Vermont and New Hampshire or not listed.
Maine and Nebraska use alternate methods for distributing their electoral votes (called the Congressional District Method). That is why there is an ME 1 and ME 2.

That being said, New Hampshire is almost definitely going Blue (so 4 more votes for Obama), which would make Flying's map a dead heat (269 to 269). Sadly, that is unlikely (especially since quite a few of the states on the map that are red are more likely to be blue).
Old 2012-11-06, 16:31   Link #2218
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Stupid question time: What is "ME2" in the upper right next to Maine?
Maine uses the "Congressional District Method", selecting one elector within each congressional district by popular vote and selecting the remaining two electors by the statewide popular vote. Basically, it's to show that at least one congressional district will go to the Republicans. For your information, Maine has four electoral votes.
Old 2012-11-06, 16:31   Link #2219
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The food companies already have to label their food this way in most of the rest of the world. If CA Prop 37 passes, they're likely to just change the labels nationally.

Seriously, the opposition to putting basic information on food so the *free market* can work is just whining.

Heck, I'd like to see cattle tracked from farm to table individually as well (cue more whining, sorry my family runs cattle and they think its insane not to track cattle)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Opponents mainly being large corporations not wanting to pay the money. I voted Yes on it because well before those large corps started pushing ads it had something like a 70% support among voters, then they poured in 6 times as much money as the people supporting the measure and all of sudden now it's less than 50% support.

So damn stupid how easily controlled by media we are as a nation.
Quote:
I try to figure, "why bother". On a real level, nearly all our food has been genetical engineered, just over time via selective breeding. (Chicken with larger breasts...plants with either higher yield, or specific colors...those have been done for generations since the they started breeding roses, or domesticated animals for specific traits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Supporters said No
Thanks for the answers.

The last nagging issue bout this is that they exempted meat and diary from the labels, but I suppose some labels are better than no labels.
Old 2012-11-06, 16:34   Link #2220
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh... our state's initiative process has a judicial committee whose sole purpose is to rewrite misleading propositions and get rid of double negatives, etc. It can also deny "omnibus" initiatives (that should be split up, like e.g. "legalize weed, stop abortion" would get zapped).

It doesn't stop stupidity from reaching the ballot, but it does make it pretty clear when its a stupid initiative.

@Simonsy - its a mistake to look at a map and go by "Square mileage" - the results are by population density. Try to see if you can find a map that redefines a county's graphic size by population density. They have them for the U.S. but not sure about individual states.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2008/
Don't want square milleage. I want same as the country's electoral. Make each county worth so many electoral votes, which is loosely based on population. Say make it based on # of mayers or something. Like how electoral is based on senators/house in the state.

Mayers wouldn't work cause a big city has one, and 10 small cities that same size combined equal that big city have 10 total. But just tossing in an idea.

I just feel its dumb to have one be population and another electoral. Be the same in both. Whether its population or electoral.

Someone mentions Gore/Bush. Don't forget Kerry/Bush. Bush beat Kerry by like 3,000,000 votes population. Very wide margin. Yet Kerry was only like 50,000 votes away in one state from winning.

At least its not as stupid as the College Football Bowls selection process.
Closed Thread