AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-10-22, 04:04   Link #1
deathsvengeance
Dreams in Fear

Need video card help

The video card I have currently is apparently not good enough to run FFXI. I was wondering what I should be looking for in a video card so that FFXI looks good and runs smoothely?

I also don't have a ton of money heh, but I really need help because I am not very technologically inclined. ^^;

(Sorry if this was already addressed somewhere else on the forum, I did a search but couldn't make heads or tails out of it heh)
deathsvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-22, 05:06   Link #2
Ending

I asked some time ago about a matter that should interest you too: "Could you recommend this computer to your friend?"
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-22, 05:56   Link #3
deathsvengeance
Dreams in Fear

Sadly, I read the first page of that thread, but for me, most of it made no sense.
Old 2004-10-22, 11:09   Link #4
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Sorry, but we need a little more info than you gave. Could you please tell us what processor, memory, motherboard and video card you have now?

For memory/processor: Right click My Computer=> Properties

For video card: Right click My Computer=> Properties=> Hardware=> Device Manager=> +Display Adapter (for 2000/XP)

For motherboard: Hmm, try CPUZ.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-22, 14:18   Link #5
theanimedude

Send a message via AIM to theanimedude Send a message via Yahoo to theanimedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathsvengeance
The video card I have currently is apparently not good enough to run FFXI. I was wondering what I should be looking for in a video card so that FFXI looks good and runs smoothely?

I also don't have a ton of money heh, but I really need help because I am not very technologically inclined. ^^;

(Sorry if this was already addressed somewhere else on the forum, I did a search but couldn't make heads or tails out of it heh)

Ok...assuming ur computer is decent enough and taht u atleast have about....384mb of ram, ddr or normal old school ram, just get an ati radeon 9000. My friend has a 1.6 ghz pentium 4 processor, 384mb of old school ram (sdram) and an ati radeon 9000. he plays FF 11 24/7, and it runs smoothly. So, just get that, it's about 100 if u buy it from best buy but probably cheaper if u buy it from fatwallet.com or just wait for the thanksgiving sale.
theanimedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-22, 15:00   Link #6
deathsvengeance
Dreams in Fear

CPU: AMD Duron 1.30 GHz
Ram: 224 MB
Display Adapter: SiS 650_651_M650_740
Motherboard: PC Chips Mainboard

oh and my current video card is on board and I only have PCI slots, no AGP.

Does that help?

Last edited by deathsvengeance; 2004-10-22 at 15:11.
Old 2004-10-22, 16:38   Link #7
Liddo
wheeeee!~

Send a message via AIM to Liddo Send a message via MSN to Liddo Send a message via Yahoo to Liddo
Quote:
CPU: AMD Duron 1.30 GHz
Ram: 224 MB
Display Adapter: SiS 650_651_M650_740
Motherboard: PC Chips Mainboard

oh and my current video card is on board and I only have PCI slots, no AGP.

Does that help?
OH shnapp.. i just saw the last part of your post... no AGP... uhh.. my friend there are only a few options that u haev here.... scatter all over the world are PCI video cards... now no one really sell them anymore due to their pci interface..... as far as i know.. the highest PCI video card there is a geforce 4 TI4400... that will set you back about 60-80 bucks.. but will give you a very good boost.. so long as u dont have too many other things connected to your PCI slots... this is i think a temporary solution.... the motherboard that u have does not seem to be a very good one.... since it does not have AGP slot there is only so much that u can do.. if u are willing to spend a little time and some extra money u can get much better performace...

if u just go buy a new motherboard.. with a agp card u will be surprised at the performance.. if u want more on where to buy a mobo and stuff of the sort just ask.. but for now PCI video cards are very hard to find
Liddo~
Liddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-22, 17:47   Link #8
Ending

@ deathsvengeance

Just ignore everything after AGP -simple enough.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-22, 18:42   Link #9
deathsvengeance
Dreams in Fear

thanks for all of your help

I found a Conquerer FX 5200plus Video Card, PCI, 128MB DDR /cheer
Old 2004-10-22, 18:54   Link #10
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:34.
hamiko_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-22, 19:33   Link #11
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Yes he did say no AGP
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-22, 21:46   Link #12
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:33.
hamiko_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 01:57   Link #13
deathsvengeance
Dreams in Fear

*cries a river* it would figure that the bloody thing wouldn't install! I have to call the tech support people Monday now ... *sulks in a corner with her teddy bear*
Old 2004-10-23, 02:29   Link #14
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Quote:
*cries a river* it would figure that the bloody thing wouldn't install! I have to call the tech support people Monday now ... *sulks in a corner with her teddy bear*
Do you mean that when you plug in the new video card and hook up the monitor you get no signal? You probably need to disable the onboard video to get the video card to work. You either need to set a jumper on the motherboard or you need to go into the BIOS on startup to set this option. You could google the motherboard manual with the motherboard model (the second item on the cpuz motherboard screen) to find out how to do this. I just googled "pc chips motherboard manual" and came up with this.

As an aside, if you can return that 5200, I would recommend you pick up a 5700LE instead. I found a few at newegg here but it will run you $100 with tax and shipping ($110 for the 256MB version).
Old 2004-10-23, 02:50   Link #15
deathsvengeance
Dreams in Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
Do you mean that when you plug in the new video card and hook up the monitor you get no signal? You probably need to disable the onboard video to get the video card to work. You either need to set a jumper on the motherboard or you need to go into the BIOS on startup to set this option. You could google the motherboard manual with the motherboard model (the second item on the cpuz motherboard screen) to find out how to do this. I just googled "pc chips motherboard manual" and came up with this.

As an aside, if you can return that 5200, I would recommend you pick up a 5700LE instead. I found a few at newegg here but it will run you $100 with tax and shipping ($110 for the 256MB version).
We did disable the onboard video... we are at a loss lol And I don't recall what specific model of motherboard it is so I can't download that manual.

Sadly for me, I can't afford anything over $100 at this time. At least not until I get a job lol.
Old 2004-10-23, 03:35   Link #16
Cichlisuite

Send a message via ICQ to Cichlisuite Send a message via AIM to Cichlisuite
I would SERIOUSlY consider getting a new system, or atleast a new mobo and video card
Cichlisuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 10:19   Link #17
deathsvengeance
Dreams in Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlisuite
I would SERIOUSlY consider getting a new system, or atleast a new mobo and video card
Know where I could get a new system for $100 that wouldn't suck?
Old 2004-10-23, 12:41   Link #18
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Quote:
We did disable the onboard video... we are at a loss lol And I don't recall what specific model of motherboard it is so I can't download that manual.

Sadly for me, I can't afford anything over $100 at this time. At least not until I get a job lol.
It's usually printed on the motherboard itself. In this case it's by the CPU socket, but it might also be around the PCI slots or anywhere.

Spoiler:

(oh, and the vid card is $96.33 with tax shipped (if they tax the 1.99 shipping))
Old 2004-10-23, 13:37   Link #19
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Know where I could get a new system for $100 that wouldn't suck?
I think under 100$ is a bit unrealistic, so here's my not-too-much-over-$100 suggestion.

These prices are from Newegg:

ASRock K7VT6 motherboard - 43.00$ (other decent choices: ASRock K7V88 RAID (46$) and Soltec STK600(46$))
SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9000PRO 64MB - 51$ (Or a FX5200/R9200, though I'm not a particular fan of 64-bit memory)
V-DATA 184 Pin 256M DDR PC-2700 - 38$ (cheapest they have, not really sure about the manufacturer)
Total: 132$

Trying to run FFXI with less than 256MB of RAM is just asking for trouble.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote