AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-05-10, 10:28   Link #4321
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

A greater question to be posed to United would be: how many plastic fans will there be left, assuming Moyes fails to hit the heights Ferguson has achieved (it would be almost impossible to emulate).
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 22:10   Link #4322
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidPotential View Post
A greater question to be posed to United would be: how many plastic fans will there be left, assuming Moyes fails to hit the heights Ferguson has achieved (it would be almost impossible to emulate).
For me, I'd be more worried if we somehow are unable to reach heights in Europe again considering how other European top dogs keep winning their respective leagues and can also afford to focus more on Europe. That is Moyes' main challenge at this time and the reason why I was not too keen on signing him for the job.

The number of European Cups won is the last thing Liverpool fans have left to rub into our faces, so it's no wonder why I (and probably a large number of fans) want United to focus on knocking Liverpool off their perch on that last top front.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2013-05-11 at 01:34.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 22:17   Link #4323
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I believe Fergie's record in Europe wasn't that great until recently. About 5 or 6 years ago, that was when Utd started to get better result in Europe. So giving Moyes this job isn't bad as domestically he wasn't bad and perhaps he will figure out European football better later on.
Old 2013-05-11, 10:07   Link #4324
RapidPotential

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
For me, I'd be more worried if we somehow are unable to reach heights in Europe again considering how other European top dogs keep winning their respective leagues and can also afford to focus more on Europe. That is Moyes' main challenge at this time and the reason why I was not too keen on signing him for the job.

The number of European Cups won is the last thing Liverpool fans have left to rub into our faces, so it's no wonder why I (and probably a large number of fans) want United to focus on knocking Liverpool off their perch on that last top front.
Liverpool fans have nothing but their history to thrive on. Of course they'd neglect the fact that during Ferguson's 26 years they've only ever had: 2 league titles, 4 League Cups, 4 FA Cups, 2 UEFA Super Cups, 1 UEFA Cup and 1 Champions League title.

Ferguson brought more success in Europe to United than any other manager before him (2 titles to Liverpool's 1). Moreover most of Liverpool's success in the Champions League were in the 80s, before the Heysel disaster. Since the 90s they've failed to record consistent success (even Chelsea have had greater success), but not to take anything away from them, their 2005 CL win was indeed incredible.
Old 2013-05-11, 10:59   Link #4325
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidPotential View Post
Liverpool fans have nothing but their history to thrive on. Of course they'd neglect the fact that during Ferguson's 26 years they've only ever had: 2 league titles, 4 League Cups, 4 FA Cups, 2 UEFA Super Cups, 1 UEFA Cup and 1 Champions League title.

Ferguson brought more success in Europe to United than any other manager before him (2 titles to Liverpool's 1). Moreover most of Liverpool's success in the Champions League were in the 80s, before the Heysel disaster. Since the 90s they've failed to record consistent success (even Chelsea have had greater success), but not to take anything away from them, their 2005 CL win was indeed incredible.
2 league titles, 4 League Cups, 4 FA Cups, 2 UEFA Super Cups, 1 UEFA Cup and 1 Champions League? That is still roughly third in the league in terms of trophies won during that two and half decades. Behind United and Chelsea. The fact that United dominate the domestic league so much, that barely anything left for anyone else.

Liverpool talk was often in the past, because most of their achievements back in the 80s were so great leaving huge contrasts to their situation now. But they still won a few tittles, with the League Cup last year, CL and FA back in 2005-6, and small treble in 2001. Can't say the same thing with Spur, Aston Villa, Newcastle and Everton, especially Arsenal. It's like a curse on them to not top anything for past 8 years after winning the league and all with invincible squad. But have to say it's still a miraculous works for them to continuously finish in top 4 every season instead of actual decline
Old 2013-05-11, 13:45   Link #4326
Bri

United catching up with Liverpool in CL titles seems just a matter of time, assuming the current situation in European football endures.

Since 2005 the top earning teams have dominated the latter stages of the CL. If inexperienced coaches like Rijkaard or Di Matteo can win the thing, there is no reason Moyes can't do the same.

I can't see Liverpool break in to the EPL top 4 on a permanent basis any time soon without an external source of finance.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 17:34   Link #4327
justavisitor

Talking about Liverpool, the worst scenario for Man. United after Moyes takes over is that Man United could become what Liverpool is right now. It is still a good team, but not consistent enough to do anything important. Sometimes they are good enough to challenge the fourth spot but they are also happy to get the sixth place.

and actually imo the possibility is quite high.

I still like Moyes over Mourinho tho. Mourinho is a great coach and he will get more from the squad than Moyes, but at the same time Mourinho creates chaos every where he goes and he just can't stay long in the same place
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 17:44   Link #4328
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Almost everyone agrees about Mourinho's approach on how it leaves chaos wherever he goes. The trump card that Moyes has on his side (bar his knowledge of the English league) is the fact that Fergie still remains around the team, the same way Sir Matt Busby and Sir Bobby Charlton were around when Fergie began his spell at Old Trafford.

On a different topic, what do you think of Wigan beating Manchester City 1-0 in the FA Cup final today? That was awesome giantkilling for a rare time in such a final. City and Roberto Mancini this season...
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 21:15   Link #4329
justavisitor

well, as a causal Man United fan, simply can't ask for a better result in the FA cup final today But on the other hand, I guess every top team wants Mancini to stay so that loss may not be good news for the other teams actually...

I think Moyes is willing to obey other's command (or let's say, advice XD) for one or two seasons, but I still have some doubts about him. If he is a great coach then I am sure other good teams would have gotten him already. You just know a good coach is very rare to find when you see Benítez still got employed here and there
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 07:44   Link #4330
Bri

Mancini should be commended for frustrating billionaire attempts at buying up football. He got a bit carried away at the end of the season last year, but now he is following the script much better.

Hope he can hang on for a while until FFP is in full swing.
Old 2013-05-12, 08:59   Link #4331
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

One more hour. Fergie's last game.

Cheers to all the Man U fans out there.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 09:12   Link #4332
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
United catching up with Liverpool in CL titles seems just a matter of time, assuming the current situation in European football endures.

Since 2005 the top earning teams have dominated the latter stages of the CL. If inexperienced coaches like Rijkaard or Di Matteo can win the thing, there is no reason Moyes can't do the same.

I can't see Liverpool break in to the EPL top 4 on a permanent basis any time soon without an external source of finance.
With the decline of EPL comparing to other leagues, unless United massively improve under Moyes, it will need some upsets for United to win another two within a decade or two.

I mean since last winning with a great squad of Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney.... United has been lost in CL every time they have to face an European power house such as Barcelona, Real and Bayern. Now we can throw Dortmund and Juventus (back) into the mix, and winning CL will require outstanding form or miracle more than ever
Old 2013-05-12, 10:41   Link #4333
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Man U scored at 38', courtesy of Hernandez. Woot!

Swansea scored at 48', courtesy of Michu. 1-1 now.

Scholes out at 60'. Nicely played for the last game old man. 20 years for the Red Devils well served.

Michu out, Rangel in at 74'. Nice one-goal man.

Hernandez off, Giggs on at 75'. Everyone seems to be getting a chance to play today!

Flores tripped Van Persie at 76'. Free kick.

Flores shoved Van Persie at 82'. Free kick. Cmon man this is a gentleman's game! Make it a clean one!

Van Persie off-target at 85'.

FERDINAND SCORED AT 86'! 1ST GOAL OF THE SEASON AND A NICE ONE!

Anderson missed at 89'.

+3 minutes. MAKE IT COUNT MAN U!

VICTORY SEALED!

MANCHESTER UNITED v SWANSEA CITY - 2-1!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2013-05-12 at 11:52.
Old 2013-05-12, 11:44   Link #4334
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Great finish from Ferdinand.
Old 2013-05-12, 11:50   Link #4335
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Match over 2-1 Man Utd and end of the legend.
Old 2013-05-12, 11:56   Link #4336
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Lol he highlighted that Scholes was retiring with him.

Old 2013-05-12, 14:13   Link #4337
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
With the decline of EPL comparing to other leagues, unless United massively improve under Moyes, it will need some upsets for United to win another two within a decade or two.

I mean since last winning with a great squad of Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney.... United has been lost in CL every time they have to face an European power house such as Barcelona, Real and Bayern. Now we can throw Dortmund and Juventus (back) into the mix, and winning CL will require outstanding form or miracle more than ever
Barcelona, Real, Bayern and United are the four highest earning teams regardless of league status and imo the only realistic regular contenders for the CL final stages in the foreseeable future. I don't think that is very competitive environment.

Juventus and Dortmund have impressed this year but can they remain competitive over time on half the budget of the other four? Milan, Inter, Liverpool and Arsenal have faded away. Chelsea, City and PSG might catch up, but only time will tell.

Currently Barcelona is in rapid decline. This Bayern side is on the upswing and due for a title soon. Real and United are in transition. That balance is continuously shifting over time. I'd be surprised if all of them haven't won another CL by the end of this decade.
Old 2013-05-12, 20:21   Link #4338
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i hope FFP makes big changes, but i'm not holding my breath.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 02:45   Link #4339
RapidPotential

Us Arsenal fans can only look to the Invincibles season as our crowning moment. Domestically we've been more successful (if you exclude the League Cup as a "major" trophy) than even Liverpool (3 titles, 4 FA Cups, during Wenger's tenure). Sir Alex Ferguson ends his tenure on a high but I'll say the most shocking result was Norwich winning 4-0 against Albion, who are clearly faring much better in the table.
Old 2013-05-13, 05:38   Link #4340
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Barcelona, Real, Bayern and United are the four highest earning teams regardless of league status and imo the only realistic regular contenders for the CL final stages in the foreseeable future. I don't think that is very competitive environment.

Juventus and Dortmund have impressed this year but can they remain competitive over time on half the budget of the other four? Milan, Inter, Liverpool and Arsenal have faded away. Chelsea, City and PSG might catch up, but only time will tell.

Currently Barcelona is in rapid decline. This Bayern side is on the upswing and due for a title soon. Real and United are in transition. That balance is continuously shifting over time. I'd be surprised if all of them haven't won another CL by the end of this decade.
But then how often the realistic contender win the CL?

I means if you look back in the past decade (10 years), the 4 teams you mentioned make the final 8 times (8/20) and won 4 times (4/20), three was to Barcelona. In fact only one to two team each decade won more than once . Barcelona around 201x, Milan mid 200x, Real late 199x, Milan eary 199x, and Liverpool early 1980x. Within 20 years, the powerhouse changed also around Juventus, Real, Valencia, Ajax, MU. All makes CL final several times in consecutive years, but none could do more than once each decade.

That's why i said MU will need massive improvement under Moyes, or at least two decade to get another 2 CL. Because teams in decline now, will be favour in competing CL within 3-5 years. Dortmund was facing bankrupt a few years ago, and Juventus was still playing 2nd league. Now they could even win it next season

If financial power was the key, you will expect to see Real more often, and the like Man City or PSG to make CL final within the next few years rather than anyone.

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2013-05-13 at 05:48.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer