AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Pumpkin Scissors

Notices

Old 2006-10-29, 20:09   Link #421
ryaken

Send a message via MSN to ryaken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Has any figuered out why Oland is sleeping under a bridge? Seems odd to me since he's an enlisted soldier.
He seems kinda shy at times. Even during the war, he may not have slept around other soldiers, but I could see the violent nightmare thing a problem. I wonder if the other PSs know that he sleeps there?
ryaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 11:25   Link #422
Greenē
It's bacon!

I take back that Alice couldn't follow orders, being that her rank and break in two-way contact with the upper CO's also likely has it that she has to do some things on her own discretion, be if they have the powers to be allowed to do so.

Sure, she's not completely without skill. She does care for her subordinates. And in most cases she gets the job done and more. And in all cases, fearless. But when her emotions run high with on the right buttons pushed, just about everything goes right out the window. Which is probably why we've seen the missions go from gathering data as to provide relief, to go send a message to some folks that what they are doing is wrong, to go dig a hole in the ground. Although the hole dig project going great, they probably figured it would be cheaper to put her back on data gathering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Again, lack of precision. Alice tilted not because the Viscount called her a propaganda unit, but because he was butchering his subjects in sadistic "games". You'll see that Oreld and Machs were already readying their rifles before Alice had even said a word (which again indicates that it indeed _is_ PS's mission and authority to act in situations like these).
Cannon fodder drew and thrusted her sword right through the table in front of her before her subordinates drew their weapons. (Granted only by seconds.) And at that point, that's almost a go that things are going to get ugly. But his admission to the human hunt games appeared to be good enough reason for them to decide to remove him, be if they have the power to do so. (I'm guessing, to some extent this is within her powers in rank.) ...but at least she wasn't staring down the barrel of a tank this time around.
Greenē is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 12:50   Link #423
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Ep 5 has aired, here's some screenshots. Spoilers are possible.
Spoiler:

Looks like a fun episode.

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-10-30 at 14:17. Reason: added a couple more screens
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 13:10   Link #424
Greenē
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Ep 5 has aired, here's some screenshots. Spoilers are possible.
Spoiler:

Spoiler for ep. 5:
Old 2006-10-30, 13:12   Link #425
Lost

Btw, those are giant crutches he use. He could take someone out with one of those.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 15:32   Link #426
Kensuke

Quote:
Spoiler:

Looks funny indeed, and that screenshot, errr... what? Heh, I can't wait too see it.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 19:21   Link #427
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenē View Post
Spoiler for ep. 5:
LOL...but look at the second screen shot...something about orland's "belows" has definatly spooked her *play dramatic music*

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 19:28   Link #428
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaken View Post
He seems kinda shy at times. Even during the war, he may not have slept around other soldiers, but I could see the violent nightmare thing a problem. I wonder if the other PSs know that he sleeps there?
Good point i could see how Oland would want to avoid some people he looked like he was a loaner till he met Alice and the rest of the scissors. I dont think they know he sleeps there if they did im sure Alice would make a huge fuss over it but give it time he cant keep it a secret forever. As for the violant nightmares i think i would do the same as well after all the blood and death that man has seen it makes sense for him to have nightmares
Old 2006-10-30, 19:55   Link #429
dxgarten

Episode 05 screencaps and summary

Spoiler:
dxgarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 20:38   Link #430
Greenē
It's bacon!

Some of those episode 5 screens are just evil.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-31, 01:30   Link #431
kauldron26
Med Student

do we know how many eps this is supposed to be??

nevermind, just announced it will be 24 eps
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 12:21   Link #432
Cyz
"Show it to me"

These screenshots are from Random Curiosity. It's from ep. 5 btw.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 12:41   Link #433
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Not correct. As we learn right in episode 2, Pumpkin Scissors was created as a propaganda unit, so that the likelihood of an order to stay covert is next to nil. Simply because Machs and Oreld don't want to confront the enemy single-handedly (for good reason) does not mean that they're supposed to stay undercover. In fact, it's unlikely.
For what it's worth, in the Eclipse sub of episode 1, Machs did mention that that particular mission was supposed to be "undercover". (Subs: "We're doing an undercover investigation, so it's better if we do this in a more clandestine manner..." Timestamp 5:25 on the h264 version.) I read that as an actual order to keep it undercover.

I see it more as Alice has a very idealistic view of what a soldier should be and do, and if any order contradicts that, she's more likely to conveniently ignore it. Answering to a higher ideal than her CO, maybe.

Now, it's also possible that the Powers That Be know that Alice is exactly the sort to go around loudly proclaiming her role and position, so they told her (and her unit) to stay undercover anyway, in the expectation that she would disobey it.

EDIT: Never mind the above, I'm stupid and didn't read.

Last edited by dkellis; 2006-10-31 at 12:48. Reason: Retracting statements.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 14:16   Link #434
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
For what it's worth, in the Eclipse sub of episode 1, Machs did mention that that particular mission was supposed to be "undercover". (Subs: "We're doing an undercover investigation, so it's better if we do this in a more clandestine manner..." Timestamp 5:25 on the h264 version.) I read that as an actual order to keep it undercover.
I'd say the exact opposite. "It's better" indicates that it's optional, otherwise it's a must-do and not open to debate. Ask yourself, can you see Alice openly disobeying orders even after she's REMINDED by a subordinate? Not really, hm...

Quote:
I see it more as Alice has a very idealistic view of what a soldier should be and do, and if any order contradicts that, she's more likely to conveniently ignore it. Answering to a higher ideal than her CO, maybe.
dkellis, she's saluting a picture of her (dead, I assume) mother in the morning. She's EXTREMELY proud of being an "honorable" soldier in ep1. She's taking each mission order with extreme enthusiasm. People with her character profile are ESPECIALLY formal in orbeying orders.

Quote:
Now, it's also possible that the Powers That Be know that Alice is exactly the sort to go around loudly proclaiming her role and position, so they told her (and her unit) to stay undercover anyway, in the expectation that she would disobey it.
Pumpkin Scissors is SUPPOSED to be a propaganda unit for war relief, not a covert reconnaissance unit for combat. What the fish makes you think that she wouldn't try to execute orders to the best of her abilities?!?

*puzzled*
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 16:15   Link #435
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Wow, I'm looking forward to Alice's weapons upgrade...

Spoiler:

What is the correct translation of 'Mähne'? Crest, shield?

The official site is a mine of information, but you really have to look for it ^^;;
Old 2006-10-31, 16:28   Link #436
Mentar
Banned

Heh. "Mähne" is German for "mane".

And yes, there's gonna be some spectacular Alice action down the road.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 16:41   Link #437
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Heh. "Mähne" is German for "mane".
Odd name for a weapon. 'Crest' I thought would sort of make more sense considering the sword and the noble affiliation.

Quote:
And yes, there's gonna be some spectacular Alice action down the road.
Yay for more Alice action and less penis jokes.
Old 2006-10-31, 16:49   Link #438
Greenē
It's bacon!

Quote:
Yay for more Alice action and less penis jokes.
Don't say Alice action and penis jokes in the same sentence, else we be talking about a whole different kind of action here.
Old 2006-10-31, 18:05   Link #439
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Perhaps you guys could make use of a Pumpkin Scissors Weapons & Military discussion thread?
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 21:09   Link #440
Forever
Revealing the truth

oMG pumkin scissors actually has its own sub-forum!