AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-07, 21:28   Link #2261
Echoes

Well... I wouldn't say Darker Than Black is purely character driven. Of course that is a large part of it, but the series had, whether you enjoyed it or not, an intricate plot.
Old 2007-10-07, 21:46   Link #2262
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Well... I wouldn't say Darker Than Black is purely character driven. Of course that is a large part of it, but the series had, whether you enjoyed it or not, an intricate plot.
A plot so intricate that only 1% of the fanbase could tell you every detail about the plot, while 99% can tell you whether or not Hei has a harem or how uber-cute Amber is ...

I guess I exist in the limbo between 99 and a hundred^^...
Old 2007-10-07, 21:54   Link #2263
hipeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselfir View Post
Shows like this are character driven. I basically watch it for misaki and yin, maybe a little CC oh wait amber.
But Yin doesn't have much character development at all. The most well developed characters are Huang, Mao, and Misaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
A plot so intricate that only 1% of the fanbase could tell you every detail about the plot, while 99% can tell you whether or not Hei has a harem or how uber-cute Amber is ...
I guess that's at least partly because we don't even know around 99% of the whole plot even to the end ╮( ̄▽ ̄)╭
Old 2007-10-07, 21:58   Link #2264
anselfir
Style Über Alles

Development is really sculpting, as in, revealing complexity etc, the overall fundamentals is still the plus points. A character with many plus points does not have to be developed to win.
Old 2007-10-07, 22:11   Link #2265
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

In my opinion when all the details are taken down it boils down to prejudice. I felt that the premise was that even if people are different, it doesn't make them better or worse than others. That everyone should try and live and work togethe rin harmony. This show showed that while some different people 'contractors' are bad, not all different people are. Just like some of the normal people ar bad, not all are.

But that is just my opinion.
Old 2007-10-07, 22:18   Link #2266
hipeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselfir View Post
Development is really sculpting, as in, revealing complexity etc, the overall fundamentals is still the plus points. A character with many plus points does not have to be developed to win.
a character with many pre-designed attributes specifically conceived to appeal to the masses does not have to be developed to attract many fans, but that doesn't mean it contributes much to a character-driven story-telling, or has much importance in a character-driven show.

really, nowadays you can just design a cute loli-ish character with a seemingly emotionless cool face while showing some feelings at times and it will instantly become a win
Old 2007-10-07, 22:48   Link #2267
anselfir
Style Über Alles

hell yes, bring on the manufactured dolls
Old 2007-10-08, 10:30   Link #2268
Seraphis
Seldom Everything

Fiiinally watched the last episode and I must say, I loved this series to bits. Although I knew it was going to happen, it was really sad to see Amber go

And am I the only one that is glad they did not explain fully the whole contractors/fake stars stuff? Let the discussion value and speculations never end I say
Old 2007-10-08, 10:40   Link #2269
capyoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphis View Post
Fiiinally watched the last episode and I must say, I loved this series to bits. Although I knew it was going to happen, it was really sad to see Amber go

And am I the only one that is glad they did not explain fully the whole contractors/fake stars stuff? Let the discussion value and speculations never end I say
just finished a bit ago too.

I'm glad they didn't explain too, but for a different reason.

when I'm presented with stuff like these in series, I usually just take it as a matter-of-fact. can't say I was too curious about why things are the way they are. probably the direction they were going for.

it was a good enough series that I wanted to watch what happens at the end.
Old 2007-10-08, 10:57   Link #2270
Seraphis
Seldom Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by capyoda View Post
just finished a bit ago too.

I'm glad they didn't explain too, but for a different reason.

when I'm presented with stuff like these in series, I usually just take it as a matter-of-fact. can't say I was too curious about why things are the way they are. probably the direction they were going for.

it was a good enough series that I wanted to watch what happens at the end.
Well for me when an anime ends in an ambiguous sort of way, my imagination runs wild, I'll be thinking about it for the next couple of weeks and will always enjoy a discussion about it.
Old 2007-10-09, 19:07   Link #2271
Vanehei
Sousuke rules

Send a message via MSN to Vanehei
Oh yes, its great to imagine the solutions sometimes.
And about character driver, i think that every character in this series, even if was on screen just for a couple of episodes, are great,i enjoy everyone.
Old 2007-10-09, 19:18   Link #2272
Elehayym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphis View Post

I actually agree with you, too.
There are times when I am disappointed when series end without explaining things that bug me - DtB wasn't the case though.

I really enjoyed the series, including the ending, as it is, and I'm ok with the lack of explanations - I didn't feel the need to hear about the details, and an open ending actually fits the story better than being told everything about it imho x_x

Not to mention that at times speculations can be better than what the authors would tell us! Especially when it's something that has been a mystery for the whole series - the chances of finding the actual explanation underwhelming at least, if not a total let down, are pretty high D:
Old 2007-10-10, 00:51   Link #2273
kauldron26
Med Student

i think people are missing the fact that this anime focused more on characters. the characters were the theme of this anime. and i even love more that the anime doesnt explain every single thing. we've become so accustomed to being spoon fed... expecting anime to end in a specific way and have the answers given to us. DTB was about the characters, and how they managed to cope in such a fucked up world.

can we all agree that DTB had the best animation all year?? seriously... i have yet to see anything to top the fluidity and character designs... they were simply marvelous. i'd give second place to terra
Old 2007-10-10, 22:16   Link #2274
bdragonomega

Wooo, OVA, yay!

Hahaha, I watched episodes 1-9 and then stopped because I had to focus on my summer school work. Then this week, I started watching episode 10 and with each new mission/story I was hooked until the end.... and now I'm a week behind in my college work hahahah!

I remember the first 3 or 2 episodes, I finally got attached to that girl they introduced and then bam! I was like "oh..wah?... I knew something was wrong when i didn't see her in the intro sequence.... but man great character development!".

I can't wait for the OVA, yay!

Hmmm anyone have more wallpapers?

Last edited by bdragonomega; 2007-10-10 at 22:37.
Old 2007-10-11, 14:23   Link #2275
Dyslogistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauldron26 View Post
i think people are missing the fact that this anime focused more on characters. the characters were the theme of this anime. and i even love more that the anime doesnt explain every single thing. we've become so accustomed to being spoon fed... expecting anime to end in a specific way and have the answers given to us. DTB was about the characters, and how they managed to cope in such a fucked up world.

can we all agree that DTB had the best animation all year?? seriously... i have yet to see anything to top the fluidity and character designs... they were simply marvelous. i'd give second place to terra
I'd say it's pretty up there with its animation, and the technique rolls very uniquely.
I had a thing for the 3D CGI they used with Misaki's Porsche, maybe because being a fan of Wangan & Initial D.
Old 2007-10-12, 10:54   Link #2276
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

So many posts and can't read them all =]

Personally I think this anime is just great, and i actually love almost every espisode of it.
Give it 9.5 out of 10, my top mark, also found a new candidate for my top 5 animes now. Also Hei is the second male lead that i really (really) like, other than Kenshin in his OVA.
There is some personal reason that make this anime stand out to me than many other anime.

Some thoughts about the ending arcs ( i waited to watched all 3 of them at one)

It was so pitiful seeing Huang, Mao and so many other contractor died during their missions, include those dolls. I found that they didn't die meaningless through. Even with her skill, Amber herself have to stop and reset so many times during the mission till her final limit; so she can guarantee that they will be able to bring Hei to centre of the gates. Remember that she mentioned about how they couldn't come this close in Heaven (or Hell?) gate before?

The part hit me the most is when Hei was given two choices that he can't decide, and Amber sacrificed herself so he can choose both.

This is really a masterpiece anime with a great ending. The death and sacrifice make it great, but also make me feel extremly empty and sad. I will feel mroe happy at a happy ending when no sacrifice been made, but it will not give me this strong and heavy emotion.

Feel like a part of me just ended.
Old 2007-10-12, 23:05   Link #2277
Eviltape

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
The part hit me the most is when Hei was given two choices that he can't decide, and Amber sacrificed herself so he can choose both.
Wait. What?

... oh lawd. That's sad. I've got to check up on that sometime.
Old 2007-10-13, 02:29   Link #2278
arkxkra
全力全開

This anime is just great, awesome, just finish watching last episdoe . Now finally understand why Hei no need pay anything after use his power. But still don't know how Bai inside him(?) ...

Amber power is very strong, but everytime use become smaller and vanish, the payment is just too big, and finally...sad to see Amber dead , and sad to see Huang dead and Mao is dead(maybe ?), but happy to see Yin still alive.
BTW, the recorder inside the Misaki Kirihara pocket is who put back in?I remember before she come into the room this recorder is taken off already.
One of the great anime for this year (for me at least). Love it.

Last edited by arkxkra; 2007-10-13 at 03:50.
Old 2007-10-13, 10:35   Link #2279
obentou
Maximum7/Ossu

Hei does need to pay for his power, he needs to eat like a pig. Correct me if I'm wrong though, lol.
Old 2007-10-13, 10:51   Link #2280
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

I wonder who the lucky contractor was who had to drink alcohol for his/her renumeration was.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, supernatural