AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-08, 21:35   Link #1141
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wait, wait...."think like father/childish"

Head = O
Chest = R
Stomach = A
Knee = N
Leg = L

Or if not using all capital letters

Head = o
Chest = r
Stomach = a
Knee = n
Leg = l

It isn't quite working...but my imagination is saying that these five letters are to be arranged as a stick figure. The "O" would seem like an obvious head. The a though depends on how it is drawn Most typesets have it like this "a", but most of the time I see it written is looks like an o with a line on the right side. That also depends on if the figure is a man or a woman. As the typeset "a" might be a man's belly, while the other a might be a woman's chest (Beatrice comes to mind). Of course I'm thinking from the head down...it might be from the head sideways (sort of like orz)

Once in this figure it should say something...perhaps give a general direction to go. It could be as simple as the figure pointing the way from that place one is standing, but that doesn't help someone that can't stand there (like the players).

Last edited by Ithekro; 2009-10-08 at 21:47.
Old 2009-10-08, 21:49   Link #1142
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Spoiler for Ithekros epitapth theory:

Clearly, there is a mutant living on the Island who doesn't count as human, and they point the way to the gold. I THINK IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.
Old 2009-10-08, 21:55   Link #1143
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfarmer View Post

Clearly, there is a mutant living on the Island who doesn't count as human, and they point the way to the gold. I THINK IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.
This.

Old 2009-10-08, 21:56   Link #1144
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfarmer View Post

Best. Epitaph. Analysis. Theory. Of all time.
Old 2009-10-08, 23:09   Link #1145
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

LORAN is a radio navigation system that has since been replaced by GPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LORAN

There were transmitters in Japan at the time this was suppose to be written.
Old 2009-10-09, 07:24   Link #1146
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Wow... I must admit that "mutant" was never excluded by Eva red text. I wonder if that can be excluded by the knox rules.

LORAN is interesting but I wonder how Battler Erika and Eva were supposed to know about this.

The only way to save this theory I see right now is that there was some guesswork involved. In ep5 it does look like Erika is trying different combinations, she is still tinkering on that mechanism even so the signpost has already moved. Maybe this is a hint that even at that point she was still testing different possibilities.

Old 2009-10-09, 17:58   Link #1147
OBrasilo
Uyimbube!

Send a message via ICQ to OBrasilo Send a message via AIM to OBrasilo Send a message via MSN to OBrasilo Send a message via Yahoo to OBrasilo
Well, the Russian system, counterpart to LORAN, is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHAYKA . Now, chayka is the Russian word for seagull, which is the English word for umineko. Coincidence, or something more?
Old 2009-10-10, 12:32   Link #1148
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Wow... I must admit that "mutant" was never excluded by Eva red text. I wonder if that can be excluded by the knox rules.
Any "mutant" which could exist in 1986 terms would be a human being, just misshapen or ill. Even if Kinzo had him a misshapen flipper-baby, it'd be a human.

Knox would exclude weird genetic mutants, radioactive monsters with human intelligence, etc. Those sorts of things are on the level of the other science fiction exclusions made by Knox like teleporters and such.

EDIT: On the other hand, corpses don't appear to count as human for Beatrice's categorization purposes, so I suppose it's not unimaginable that a "person" could physically point the way without being alive. Corpses or skeletons is a little too "pirate treasure" for Kinzo, but you never know I guess.
Old 2009-10-10, 19:19   Link #1149
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

LORAN could give a coordinate...or a location via one of the towers...since there are some around both the island chain involved in the series, and the much larger northern Japanese Home Island where your rail station method starts. Tokachibuto

As for the idea of a stick figure...that was basically an attempt to find a word using a "childish method" to arrange the letters. I was hoping it would spell something usable...a name, a thing/object to head towards, or a general compass direction in some language.
Old 2009-10-11, 12:09   Link #1150
Serpit

My head is running hot on weird theories again. I believe that in one interview, Ryukishi stated that "finding out Lambdadelta's identity is a big step towards solving the mystery" or something along those lines. This kind of fits with my somewhat philosophic speculation. Please excuse it's crackpotty-ness, but I need to get this out of my head.

Spoiler for Lambda's identity:

Spoiler for tl;dr:

Last edited by Serpit; 2009-10-19 at 23:19.
Old 2009-10-11, 12:14   Link #1151
Workworkwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpit View Post
My head is running hot on weird theories again. I need someone to confirm one thing for me: I heard that in one interview, Ryukishi stated that "finding out Lambdadelta's identity is a big step towards solving the mystery" or something along those lines. Is that true? Because it kind of fits with my somewhat philosophic speculation. Please excuse it's crackpotty-ness, but I need to get this out of my head.

Spoiler for Lambda's identity:

Spoiler for tl;dr:
It was just a Higurashi joke. You know who Lambda looks like in that, right?
Old 2009-10-11, 12:24   Link #1152
Serpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workworkwork View Post
It was just a Higurashi joke. You know who Lambda looks like in that, right?
I know who Lambda resembles. I also know she is NOT that Higurashi character, but, according to "Lambda's diary", just gave her the power to succeed.
Old 2009-10-11, 12:53   Link #1153
June 1983

Jan-Poo's epitaph theory = amazing. I haven't read EP 5 yet so some of it was confusing to me, but you MUST be on the right track.
Old 2009-10-11, 14:52   Link #1154
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I just hope it wont' end up being completely false after all these positive comments XD
Do not be angry at me if that happens, okay? °° I said it from the beginning there are many parts do not convince me. ^^,

Anyway the things that I like the most is the fact you can use train stations as clue to reach the gold. Now if the real solution just stops at the word play and the signpost just indicates the "golden land" directly, that would e a major let down.

In other words if my theory is wrong, I hope the right one won't be less cool than mine XD

What really doesn't satisfy me is the word play itself. That "quadrillion-liquid" thing is kinda farfetched, and I don't get what the "honorable name" should be. Even if it is "LORAN" as someone suggested, what's so honorable about that?

There is also the mechanism thing that doesn't sound very right. If it is some sort of very strange mechanism then why Ryukishi said that the epitaph is solvable? Unless we know what kind of mechanism it is, it would be impossible.
Then again maybe it is something that we are supposed to know well? Like a standard padlock or something? But I can't really get this...

Old 2009-10-11, 16:52   Link #1155
June 1983

One thing that struck me about the LORAN/LORNA/RONAL thing is just how close it is Ronald/Dlanor, all it lacks is the D.

As for the mechanism, again, since I haven't read EP 5 yet, I don't know a lot about it, but I kind of wonder if maybe the family crest might not be connected to it somehow. From the beginning I've been sure that there was something more significant to the crest than what seems obvious. The eagle's wing is depicted with five feathers, one for each letter.
Old 2009-10-11, 20:32   Link #1156
Used Can

The answer is Ronald McDonald's. Kinzo invested all of his money in McD's.
Now you see why they have those Golden Arches, right?

Without love it cannot be seen?
I'm lovin' it
Old 2009-10-11, 20:46   Link #1157
Isekaijin

Ran Ran Ruu

But seriously, if that's the case I would die from laughter.
Old 2009-10-11, 20:54   Link #1158
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wouldn't that be like trolling a troll with another troll?
Old 2009-10-11, 21:53   Link #1159
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
When was the epitaph made? Did Kinzo come up with it a long time ago, like before any of his children were born?

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Old 2009-10-11, 21:57   Link #1160
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang View Post
When was the epitaph made? Did Kinzo come up with it a long time ago, like before any of his children were born?
It's unsure. It was only put up in 1984, along with the Beatrice portrait. Around a year later he dies.
Closed Thread