AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 86 72.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 12.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 8.40%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.20%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.84%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.84%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-03, 08:55   Link #61
blewin

so Menma finally acts! been expecting it but it didn't give me that "wow" moment as it ought to (in my imagination anyway). It's very down to earth, very real, kind of scary (a ghost after all) but also very emotional and nostalgic... of a friend coming back and friends coming together one more time. The Peace Busters are never complete without Menma.

Maybe Menma's purpose of coming back is to come to terms with herself for leaving this life, just as everyone else has to come to terms with living without her anymore. We keep seeing scenes of Menma looking at Jinta's mum's photo... really, could her lingering feeling be her unwillingness to let go and leave? (or just to say a proper goodbye)

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2011-06-03, 08:56   Link #62
Riou17
Red☆Crystal

In all my years of watching anime, this is the only series that made me cry so much. I cried thrice and wasn't able to concentrate on watching because my tears kept on falling. This episode is so intense and heartbreaking.

The scene of Menmama reminds me of the story of Air TV. Just like how Minagi's mother forgot about her (same reason as Menmama), Menmama kinda forgotten that she still has a son who's wanting for her affection. I also don't blame Menmama for acting like that. Imagine losing your first child who's sweet, thoughtful and full of life in an accident, I'm not surprised that she's still hanged up with Menma.

Baka Jintan for walking out on Anaru's confession. I cried the most here XD Props to Tomatsu Haruka for being such an awesome seiyuu and for delivering the lines so emotionally. I just wish that Jintan turns his attention to Anaru once he's done with Menma's wish.

I was speechless at the last scene. Mostly because I was crying so much. Also, I applaud Menma in this scene because she handled the situation calmly. I thought she was going to cry and shout 'Stop it!', but she just smiles and made her presence known to everyone. As oppose to her being naive and a crybaby, she handled it quite nicely.

Next up is Tsuruko. Can't wait for next week. I hope when I wake up, it's already next week XD
Old 2011-06-03, 09:22   Link #63
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

OMOOOOOOI.... but so goood....
Old 2011-06-03, 09:39   Link #64
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Oh. Wow. This is... wow.

This here, this is good stuff. This is right up there with Maeda Jun's best. This is the kind of thing I've never seen in anime since "because it's the first thing Papa chose and bought for me".

I've missed anime like these for the longest time.
Old 2011-06-03, 09:40   Link #65
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
One area where I have to disagree somewhat with many other posters here is on the topic of Jinta's dad.

Now, Jinta's dad is clearly caring and well-intentioned, to his credit.

But, in my view, a good parent does more to try to stop their child's descent into personal self-destruction than what Jinta's dad did.

Prior to Jinta getting work, he really was in a hikikomori rut, and particularly given his age, that really could have ruined him for life if he didn't turn things around.

It's fine and good to show understanding to why a child does what he does, but even then, some choices shouldn't be calmly accepted. One such choice was Jinta choosing to pretty much opt out of school entirely, and not find work anywhere.
Old 2011-06-03, 10:54   Link #66
User68604
Disabled By Request

zzzzz why do people think this series is even remotely on par with clannad after story? this is an above average anime with high production values at best...

hoping they start to wrap up the story soon...id like to move on from this series more than they want to move on from menma
Old 2011-06-03, 10:59   Link #67
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
zzzzz why do people think this series is even remotely on par with clannad after story? this is an above average anime with high production values at best...

hoping they start to wrap up the story soon...id like to move on from this series more than they want to move on from menma
Weeeeeell do forgive me for thinking this is the closest it's gotten in anime to CLANNAD AS in the couple of years since the latter aired.
Old 2011-06-03, 11:05   Link #68
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Very good episode, I love how sooo much happens in every episode in this show, it leaves me satisfied every week and makes the wait for the next one not so bad. Though I wasn't to keen on Anaru's little confession, why would you let a brief feeling you had when you were a kid cause you so much trouble?

Also, Menma writing in her diary at the end was fantastic, if not a little far fetched. I guess she used all the commotion to find a pencil and start scribbling without anyone noticing, then conveniently drops it on the same page, godlike ghost powers.

Quote:

anime, serious business.
Old 2011-06-03, 11:10   Link #69
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Excellent once again! Anaru is making her move! and Menma is finally making everyone notices her existence! Didn't I say it before? All she had to do was write something! But, it's ok that they waited this long, the series would've ended sooner.

About Jinta's father... What he's doing wrong is that he's trying to be a friend and not a parent. It's the worse way to raise a child, we even see Jinta secretly wanting his father to scold him and set him straight.
Old 2011-06-03, 11:18   Link #70
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

Even as a huge Clannad: After Story fan, I think you're being a little harsh here.

I will say though that nothing touches Clannad: After Story for me. But the difference between that and Anohana isn't huge. This episode comes very close in quality to Clannad: After Story Episode 16, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Excellent once again! Anaru is making her move! and Menma is finally making everyone notices her existence! Didn't I say it before? All she had to do was write something! But, it's ok that they waited this long, the series would've ended sooner.
Totally agree. If anything, it's bold for Okada to make this move with 3 episodes left to go.

Quote:

About Jinta's father... What he's doing wrong is that he's trying to be a friend and not a parent. It's the worse way to raise a child, we even see Jinta secretly wanting his father to scold him and set him straight.
This is pretty much what I meant earlier on.

In fairness, though, if I had to choose between Jinta's dad or Ohana's mom (Ohana from Hanasaku) as a parent, I'm pretty sure I'd pick Jinta's dad, lol.
Old 2011-06-03, 11:19   Link #71
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
One area where I have to disagree somewhat with many other posters here is on the topic of Jinta's dad.

Now, Jinta's dad is clearly caring and well-intentioned, to his credit.

But, in my view, a good parent does more to try to stop their child's descent into personal self-destruction than what Jinta's dad did.

Prior to Jinta getting work, he really was in a hikikomori rut, and particularly given his age, that really could have ruined him for life if he didn't turn things around.

It's fine and good to show understanding to why a child does what he does, but even then, some choices shouldn't be calmly accepted. One such choice was Jinta choosing to pretty much opt out of school entirely, and not find work anywhere.
I made mention of this in my blog post as well. Jintan's Dad is absolutely doing what he thinks is best, but I think he's erred in judgment by giving Jintan too much freedom. One of the reasons his son slipped as far as he did down the emotional rabbit hole was that his father probably never took him aside and had a "Yukiatsu" moment. I think we can all agree that your son becoming a hikikomori is not a good outcome, no matter the reasons.

However, how can you possibly judge him, given the circumstances? When an elementary school boy loses his best friend and his mother in short order, how can he find it in his heart to be harsh with the boy? He's like everyone else in the show - trying his best to do the right thing, and sometimes failing. The mistakes he's made have been mistakes of love, and he tries to hide his own pain behind a facade of perpetual cheerfulness. How can you not love a guy like that? That's why it was so nice to see Jintan appreciate just how lucky he was to have a Dad like that.

I'm not going to knock Jun Maeda (though I admit I'm more of a Naoki Hisaya fan), but to me Mari Okada exceeds him here because she's earning every ounce of sentiment through incredibly subtle character development and interaction. The story here is rife with potential for melodrama, but she's mining the pain and doubt these characters experience in their everyday lives for the power to drive the show. There's very little in terms of histrionics and emotional pandering and sentimental BGM - it's all honest and hard-earned.

Also - I really think Irinu Miyu and Haruka Tomatsu are stamping themselves as one of the great anime couples. They're fantastic independently, but every scene together is just phenomenal.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2011-06-03 at 11:30.
Old 2011-06-03, 11:25   Link #72
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

First episode of AnoHana I rate 10/10, and hopefully not the last. The drama this time around felt incredibly real and tangible. Anaru's confession was wonderful; I've noticed all the best scenes -or at least, my favorite - are Jinta x Anaru scenes. Those two have amazing chemistry. Unfortunately, Jinta doesn't seem to see her in a romantic light. I hope this will change in the coming weeks.

The scene at Menma's house was another powerful one. Menmama seriously needs some help. I felt pretty bad for the little brother, her mother chose to live in the past and closed herself off, which led to him being neglected. As he himself put it, she should remember she still has one child left... By acting the way she does, it's as if she lost her second child.

I was so happy Menma finally did something. See? Writing a message helped a ton. This shoud have happened weeks ago. It was obvious that the others -save for Poppo- all thought he was delusional (why would they believe him the first place anyway?) and only went along with it because they pitied him. I really liked Menma's attitude during that scene. She's a more likable character when she doesn't cry all the time. We finally see the strength she displayed in the flashback we've been shown about a billion times by now.

Speaking of Jinta's dad, I'm surprised not commented on his BALDNESS. I couldn't help but laugh when he took off his hat. I didn't see that coming at all for some reason
Old 2011-06-03, 11:37   Link #73
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

One the best episodes thus far if not the best. I think everything came together very well to bring in all the elements of the story thus far from the hints we were given. Basically it highlighted and emphasized what emotional problem every character who has had a connection to Memma has. Expecially liked the touch coming from Menma's mom, i think this episode brought about the role of parents in a parents life.

I think that all parents have their own methods of parenting, I persoanlly feel that Jintan's dad here adopts a good method to teach his son, taking into account that Jintan has always had a strong will from when he was young. I think for that kind of people, letting them find their way out is the best way for them to learn. It's never to late to start studying I think that's why he is so lax about it.

Yukiatsu finally blows, for a very selfish reason... but that highlights all the feelings he has had since before Menma died... that was bound to happen.

Anaru is such a great character as it is... I think the confession was well placed, leaving alot of space for development.

Overall a great episode. Hoping the level of drama stays for the remaining episodes.
Old 2011-06-03, 11:45   Link #74
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I made mention of this in my blog post as well. Jintan's Dad is absolutely doing what he thinks is best, but I think he's erred in judgment by giving Jintan too much freedom. One of the reasons his son slipped as far as he did down the emotional rabbit hole was that his father probably never took him aside and had a "Yukiatsu" moment. I think we can all agree that your son becoming a hikikomori is not a good outcome, no matter the reasons.
Exactly.

Quote:

However, how can you possibly judge him, given the circumstances? When an elementary school boy loses his best friend and his mother in short order, how can he find it in his heart to be harsh with the boy?
I don't think he should be harsh with the boy. But at least try to gently prod him into going back to school, or, failing that, find employment.

That being said, Jinta's dad is a very good person, and I'm glad that Jinta recognizes and appreciates that.

Quote:

I'm not going to knock Jun Maeda, but to me Mari Okada easily exceeds him here because she's earning every ounce of sentiment through incredibly subtle character development and interaction.
I have to be honest, I pretty strongly disagree.

I find that this anime sometimes tries too hard to make the viewer cry. In some ways, I actually think that Maeda is more subtle, so I firmly disagree with you on your comparison between him and Okada.

The reason why I gave this episode 9/10 instead of 10/10 is because it didn't make me cry (which is probably not good given the content of this episode), and it didn't make me cry because I have been thoroughly desensitized to crying in this anime, due to how Menma was handled earlier.

This episode was excellent in most respects, and would have been perfect with more subtle setup, but I really can't agree with this idea that Anohana is subtle.

Where's the subtlety in having characters cry in pretty much every episode?

Even if one thinks that each instance of crying serves a good and important purpose, it's certainly not subtle to use it that much.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-06-03 at 12:09.
Old 2011-06-03, 12:16   Link #75
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

As much as I agree that this episode was definitely an excellent execution in term of drama department, the ending more or less confirmed that the story was hindering itself by the recurrent plot hole/device, which is solely Menma's existence.

I couldn't help but felt underwhelmed that this solution was used after all, like weeks too late, and only when things were about to get out of hand. I can't help but wonder if the fault lies in Menma, Jinta or both. It is just incredibly difficult to consider the drama catalyst being acceptable when things were resolved this way.

"Better late than never"? Perhaps, although it doesn't really clear the fundamental plot issue the series got starting from the very first episode, leading to a forced drama within the group.

That said, we indeed had an excellent whirlpool of emotions and feelings, realistically portrayed regarding teenagers being stuck by the past, but still growing up after all.
An excellent episode, but the series itself barely make up for its inherent flaw. Now it depends how they are going to wrap everything without pulling us a disney effect.
Old 2011-06-03, 12:19   Link #76
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I find Clannad incredibly emotionally manipulating myself - but to each his own, right? Jun Maeda just tries too hard for me - he doesn't push my buttons, though I did enjoy Clannad a fair amount.

Menma is really the only one who cries every episode (except the last two) and I honestly felt that, given you suspend disbelief and accept her circumstances, it's pretty understandable. The reason I consider this subtle is because of the character development - it's been built pretty deliberately over the course of the series - and without the need to spell out in minute detail why everyone was feeling the pain they were feeling. The situations were allowed to speak for themselves.

Emotional tug is almost as personal a thing as comedy, though. Everyone has different buttons...
Old 2011-06-03, 12:22   Link #77
kitten320

Quote:

I didn't like After story much, at least not as much as 1st season because Nagisa/Tomoya were never that interesting for me despite having good chemistry. The whole drama was sad but that's bascily it. I was pretty boring untill drama had striken, only then things got interesting.

I can't say that this show is aweasome either, it has its minuses.

Besides you can't compare this and Clannad because they are about 2 totally different things with 2 different outcomes and settings. Tomoya never was able to see ghosts and it never was about him and his friends falling out because of someones death.

Anyway about the episode... I must say Jinta was a huge ass for acting like that with Anaru...

The final part made me a bit irritated, Menma could always move things around and knows a lot of stuff about others so why does she never make use out of it? There are so many ways she could convince everyone!
Good thing she finally did something, hope it won't stop there...

Otherwise it was a nice episode
Old 2011-06-03, 12:24   Link #78
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I find Clannad incredibly emotionally manipulating myself - but to each his own, right? Jun Maeda just tries too hard for me - he doesn't push my buttons, though I did enjoy Clannad a fair amount.

Menma is really the only one who cries every episode (except the last two) and I honestly felt that, given you suspend disbelief and accept her circumstances, it's pretty understandable. The reason I consider this subtle is because of the character development - it's been built pretty deliberately over the course of the series - and without the need to spell out in minute detail why everyone was feeling the pain they were feeling. The situations were allowed to speak for themselves.

Emotional tug is almost as personal a thing as comedy, though. Everyone has different buttons...
That's fair.

For what it's worth, I do think that the characters here have been exceptionally well-developed, and the anime is to be credited in making me care about all of them.

I will also say that Anohana is the best drama I've seen in a very, very long time. As a pure drama, this episode is in the top tier, imo.
Old 2011-06-03, 12:31   Link #79
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
As much as I agree that this episode was definitely an excellent execution in term of drama department, the ending more or less confirmed that the story was hindering itself by the recurrent plot hole/device, which is solely Menma's existence.

I couldn't help but felt underwhelmed that this solution was used after all, like weeks too late, and only when things were about to get out of hand. I can't help but wonder if the fault lies in Menma, Jinta or both. It is just incredibly difficult to consider the drama catalyst being acceptable when things were resolved this way.

"Better late than never"? Perhaps, although it doesn't really clear the fundamental plot issue the series got starting from the very first episode, leading to a forced drama within the group.

That said, we indeed had an excellent whirlpool of emotions and feelings, realistically portrayed regarding teenagers being stuck by the past, but still growing up after all.
An excellent episode, but the series itself barely make up for its inherent flaw. Now it depends how they are going to wrap everything without pulling us a disney effect.
I can't say I agree with this. Of course Menma's existence is a conceit. Pretty much every drama, much less a "magical realist" one, begins with a conceit. But I would judge the timing to be just about right. Menma's existence was confirmed not at the end, but at the beginning of the end - giving the characters ample space to sort through the emotional baggage that's still weighing them down. Menma's existence was never the point - it was the catalyst for the living to face up to the past and move past it.

That's why your comment about "things being resolved in this way" isn't one I agree with. Nothing has been resolved at all yet, and I think that's the point. Menma was a necessary conceit because all of these characters - the Busters, the parents, the little brother - were carrying around burdens from her death that could never be lifted unless they were to come together physically once more. In real life, they never would have - they'd likely have nursed their pain for the rest of their lives and found unhappiness through their own individual garden paths. Because this is anime, we get a chance to nudge things in a different direction and move towards closure. That's the point, it seems to me - and I can hardly imagine it could be done better than it has through eight episodes.
Old 2011-06-03, 12:39   Link #80
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

A great part of the drama between the Super Peace Busters was solely centred on Jinta "suddenly" bringing out Menma's existence to everyone else, without much explanations.
I don't need any science/magical explanation about Menma, nor the reason why she appears now and not later (although I would love to know why, still).
However, it is baffling to have the very mean of proving her existence from day 1, yet being denied because both Jinta and Menma weren't doing anything about that.

By itself, Menma's existence being proved doesn't solve everything (I never implied it so), however it -is- a solution (not "the" solution), since it will make everyone in the SPB group moving on at some point.
The solution itself would be okay if it was thought/introduced early on then denied for a "proper" reason. However, so far, color me strongly skeptical for a "proper reason" for any of the two not trying to at least explain things to the rest.

This is even worse with Yukiatsu and his deluded incident, but both Jinta and Menma didn't try anything. Is it too much to expect that bringing out "menma matter" would obviously hurt him?