AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 24 (FINAL) Rating
Perfect 10 210 67.09%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 61 19.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 9.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 2.24%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.32%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.32%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.32%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.64%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-20, 11:07   Link #261
Calawain
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Same here... the odors in a high school can get.... overwhelming (unwashed teens doused in nose-burning French cathouse odors from their perfume/deodorant/musk-crud)

Take a damn shower after gym, people....... (bunch of prudes)

@Kenny: well... in the last two years, I've gone from mostly black/brown/red hair to almost silver-white .... very annoying. I tried a dye last year but it seems my skin just soaks up the dye like crazy so I'm stewing on just coloring the whole thing silver and to hell with it. The dye was kind of interesting though as it left a lot of red/brown/silver that everyone said made me look like some sort of kitsune in disguise <snort laugh> ... so whatever my self-image is, unfortunately, -jiji may be appropriate though I often feel younger than many of the stick-in-the-mud parents 20 years younger than me O.o

Okay, we're off-topic >>> discussing ep 24 final again.

I'm trying to remember the lag time between the end of Haruhi and its R1 release and wondering if we'll ..... hmmm, still no sign of a Kanon 2006 R1 release either, is there?
Well, in this instance the Haruhi connections may help L*S get a release in the US ...... so it goes.
According to wikipedia, the final Haruhi episode was aired 7/2/06, the license was announced 12/22/06, and I know I bought my volume one of the show at the end of May 07, so it was about 10 months afterwards for it to be released. That's about an average turnaround for a popular series, although these days shows are getting licensed a lot faster as companies realize that if you license and release fast people are less likely to get fansubs and more likely to just wait and buy your DVDs.

And Kanon has been licensed by ADV, while I don't know if they have made a super official announcement, they did show trailers online.

Optimistically I would hope for an LS licensing within a couple of months, I don't know of any big cons coming up for them to wait on. Then if they are quick about it you could guess a 8 month lag time from now until release. One can only hope.
Old 2007-09-20, 11:14   Link #262
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickal555 View Post
loli: Small child- female
lolicon: someone attracted to a loli

Actually loli is sorta an english word, it comes from a book writen about 100 years ago: lolita.
It's about a older mans obsession with a 12 year old who he perceives as a "nymphet", (the book is also the source of that word).
It's written from his perspective and is sympathetic to his feelings, it sorta makes you empathise with him, which is part of the masterful writing as he's quite the sicko. Kinda psychological things going on there.

The word is the nick name given to the child "dolouris", it's regarded as a classic piece of literature these days.

There's also been two movies produced.
I'm more about Gothic Lolita, the non-sexual and Japanese fashion of which I have many outfits.
Old 2007-09-20, 11:38   Link #263
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
... so whatever my self-image is, unfortunately, -jiji may be appropriate though I often feel younger than many of the stick-in-the-mud parents 20 years younger than me O.o
Just to go off-topic for a bit more, if it will make you feel better, I'm perfectly amenable to using the -sensei honorific instead. As in Izumi Soujirou, the Otaku/Lolicon-Sensei.
Old 2007-09-20, 13:04   Link #264
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

AFK released Lucky Star 1-24!

There's a prelude? O_O;;; What the?!! 4.18GiB of torrent ACK!!! XD

Hope there are alot of seeders like me.

My bad it's Kannon XD [a.f.k.] Kanon - 01-24 & Prelude
Old 2007-09-20, 14:16   Link #265
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Wait, whaat? You mean Vexx *doesn't* actually have spiky bluish-black hair?? I'm totally slow in the uptake! D:

Working on memorizing the entire cheerleading dance... Well, it's not too bad. I already had some parts memorized from watching the OP over and over.
Old 2007-09-20, 15:46   Link #266
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
O.o.... I don't know any girls who don't shave their pits, at least to my knowledge. I think you should hit the swimming pool and observe.
There are a couple of girls in that dance group who probably won't ever need to shave anything off their bodies...

Quote:
and she's Konata-sized but Kagamin-tempered...
@seijisensei
You're wife's not that chibi, Vexx-dono... she looked like a real women, just a bit short The chibi's I know... well, one of them still pay child fair for bus rides.

Wow, you've posted the photo of your wife, Vexx-dono? My wife will throw me out of the house if I do anything like that. Only thing I can say about my Tsundere wife is that she looked pretty much like Kagami interm of body-type, but her hair and face, well, since we're in Azudai mode, looked very similar to Osaka, minus the dojiko and the kansai-ben part. She does do a great imitation of Osaka's "pon pon ya!" after eating. No twin drills for her, although I did ask nicely. Then a sailor suit, and.. okay, better stop now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembr View Post
Ikahodo, to the best of my knowledge, is a phrase originating in Lucky Star. While it is a pretty clever new form of the word, I doubt it'll be replacing dondake. Unless its origin is elsewhere.
No, Ikahodo is a real slang. It's listed on several Japanese slang dictionaries. Not sure where it got started; the only info I can find is that girls (and maybe gays) have been slowly saying ikahodo instead of dondake. The meaning is the same, which is similar to "WTF".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempis Curious View Post
What was Patty demoing on her cell phone?
It's obviously the Lucky Star OP.

Quote:
Working on memorizing the entire cheerleading dance... Well, it's not too bad. I already had some parts memorized from watching the OP over and over.
Make sure you youtube that dance there.
Old 2007-09-20, 15:52   Link #267
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
The chibi's I know... well, one of them still pay child fair for bus rides.
I'm still growing, I swear. o_o (Whaat? It's cheaper..)

Yesterday my mom and I went to pick up my sister at her middle school. We were both stopped - the guard asked why my mom was walking around without a visitor's pass, and I was asked why I wasn't in uniform, in class. It's not that I'm short, but rather that middle school students are getting so tall.

Quote:
Make sure you youtube that dance there.
Eto, I believe it's already been posted in the videos thread ne?
Old 2007-09-20, 16:10   Link #268
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Eto, I believe it's already been posted in the videos thread ne?
Eto, video of Rissa-chan doing the cheer dance? Where?
Old 2007-09-20, 17:11   Link #269
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Wait, whaat? You mean Vexx *doesn't* actually have spiky bluish-black hair?? I'm totally slow in the uptake! D:.
bah... upstarts stole my online moniker. The names comes from a D&D NPC dragon I dreamed up in the mid-80s and I've been using the nick since 1987 on the Internet (yes, pre-Web). I figure on outlasting them...

oooh, video.
Old 2007-09-20, 17:17   Link #270
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
It's obviously the Lucky Star OP.
You know, i'm still surprised Kyoani didn't have the SHnY cast doing the dance on her phone or something.
Old 2007-09-20, 17:51   Link #271
archanfels

The first thing I want to say after the post-last-episode-emoness is that in the part where Kona "convinced" Kagamin into doing the dance, that's your tsundereness at its best, so typical it should be in the moe text book if there ever is one. Kagamin is so damn cute it's criminal ><
Old 2007-09-20, 19:37   Link #272
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

EP24: Reference Post #1

Just for the Last Episode I'm going to post my references one at a time, since I'm no longer time-crunched to get everything out before the next episode. Hopefully this will encourage people to keep visiting the forum and keep talking about this episode. When I'm done I'll post it all in one big post format in the ref thread.

====

The Real Cultural Festival
The Cultural Festival is one of the two big events in a Japanese school year (the other being the Sports Festival of course). It was supposed to be a showcase of the culture of the school and the locale, but it became a way to foster relationship with the outsiders like parents, alumni, and local officials, and to show off the accomplishment and the talents of the students. In spirit it's a way to installing team-work by having the entire class and school (everyone MUST be involved) pulling off a massively complex project in a short amount of time. In reality is a time for some students to goof-off as much as possible while eating as much crap as possible.

Every class pick a "theme" of what they would want to SHOW OFF as a class, and invariably the theme became a contest to see which class can attract the most visitors. Thus, although Miyuki's idea of doing a display on the history and the use of 桐箪笥 (Kiritansu, a traditional chest made from Paulownia wood) is what the Cultural Festival SHUOLD be about, the old standard of a fortune telling place was chosen instead. Even her mom laughed at her for sticking to the true meaning of cultural festival, as the Kiritansu made in Kasukabe (春日部桐箪笥) is a nationally recognized traditional art form and a wonderful topic for a cultural festival display.

Since as we know Konata's school isn't really called 春日部共栄 (Kasukabe KyoEi) but 陵桜学園 (RyouOu Gakuen) instead, the name of the Kasukabe KyoEi Cultural Festival, 藤桐祭 (TouTouSai), was also changed to a similar 桜藤祭 (OuTouSai). One also glaring difference is that The Kasukabe version happens in the summer (this year is June 3rd), while the Lucky Star version is in mid-autumn; it's a very strange time to have a cultural festival. The Real TouTouSai is hosted together by the Middle and High school. The Festival is two days long, and only the second day is open to visitors; the Miyakawa Sisters visited on the wrong day. Over 5,500 people visited this year's TouTouSai during the Open House day, and even the K.K. Alumni Association had a booth.

The list of the Cultural Festival Themes voted on by the 3-Nen B-Gumi:
  • バザー (Bazaar, or food booth, at least 12 votes)
  • 迷路 (Maze, at least 6 votes)
  • 占いの館 (Fortune-teller's House, at least 21 votes)
  • ハミガキ体操 (Toothbrushing Exercise, 7 votes) <-- this is a joke, since everyone learned this since kindergarten
  • 桐箪笥の歴史と作り方 (History and construction of Kiritansu, 1 Miyuki Vote)
  • おばけ屋敷 (Haunted House, 6 votes)

Some photos of this year's Kasukabe KyoEi's TouTouSai:

Spoiler for Unhide to Join the Cultural Festival:

===
More to come....

EDIT: congradulation to the Kasukabe KyoEi H.S. Girl's Swimming Team for winning their first National Championship! Swimming Dynasty Indeed. The 2-time defending champs, the Boy's Team, was 4th this year. It's the girl's time to shine! The Lucky Girls can do their cheer dance for them neh! (The Swim Team do have a Cheer Squad). BTW, this coming weekend is the actually the Sports Festival for KK High School.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-09-22 at 00:26.
Old 2007-09-20, 23:22   Link #273
kim8268

ASSking

Is there go to be a second season or a special episode (hopefully at least 5) of lucky star? and are there going to be a second season of melacholy?

Playing Magic to kill the waiting of new releases
Old 2007-09-21, 01:28   Link #274
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

AVPlaya, just where did all the intel of Katsukabe Kyoei High come from? Their official website? Is it really that comprehensive? Since it's been ages since I last visited my own secondary school's website, and the info there is seriously outdated (we're talking about months, not weeks or days). Though I understand different schools have different standards concerning their websites.

And Vess-ossan, for the umpteenth time, stop misspelling my name. It's Kinny with an I. I didn't go through the trouble to make sure my username is recognizable enough by picking a generic name like Kenny.
Old 2007-09-21, 01:44   Link #275
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
AVPlaya, just where did all the intel of Katsukabe Kyoei High come from? Their official website? Is it really that comprehensive? Since it's been ages since I last visited my own secondary school's website, and the info there is seriously outdated (we're talking about months, not weeks or days). Though I understand different schools have different standards concerning their websites.
Where you in a Japanese HS, Kinny-sama? Lucky... No wonder you're so perapera.

I was just doing research on TouTouSai when I visited their news page - they update it pretty frequently. I got the news on their Swimming victory here. There was a news item about how the Sports Festival event order may change due to the possible heat wave tomorrow (or rather today), so that's how I knew about that. Their site, although a bit on the ugly site, is very useful and updated often. It is a one of the best high school in the area, and give the large number of people visiting their cultural festival, quite popular among the locals as well. No wonder Yoshimizu has such love for his alma mater.
Old 2007-09-21, 05:14   Link #276
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Where you in a Japanese HS, Kinny-sama? Lucky... No wonder you're so perapera.
Heh, I wish. I've never even been to Japan. Not yet, anyway. But thanks for flattering me. I live one timezone behind Japan, quite some distance from Akiba, but much nearer than most of the North Americans and Europeans who lurk here.

The high school's here in Asia do have sports days and the occasional open day, but in the end, it's just not as fun as those you see in RL Japan, let alone the wacky premises in tonnes of anime. xD

Spoiler for off-topic useless rant about my school:
Old 2007-09-21, 21:38   Link #277
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

EP 24 References #2

Okay, here's #2..

Spoiler for Long Post - Unhide to Read:

===
I guess not many people will read this since this tread is dying, but they'll keep coming even if no one's reading them.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-09-22 at 00:02.
Old 2007-09-21, 22:02   Link #278
Psycho Power J
Taking in Life's hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Heh, I wish. I've never even been to Japan. Not yet, anyway. But thanks for flattering me. I live one timezone behind Japan, quite some distance from Akiba, but much nearer than most of the North Americans and Europeans who lurk here.

The high school's here in Asia do have sports days and the occasional open day, but in the end, it's just not as fun as those you see in RL Japan, let alone the wacky premises in tonnes of anime. xD

Spoiler for off-topic useless rant about my school:
It depends on the Asian school, I suppose. One school I went to has something similar, but also very different. The classes all picks something to do, and there was some pretty wacky results. You don't pay money, but buy tickets of certain values (50 pt ticket for example) from a school booth which is used to pay for stuff. There was a lot of vending booths set up, and everyone competes to get the most tickets to win a prize. The school administration gets in on the fun as well. I remember stuff like some arcade booths and some rides like a mini Ferris Wheel being rented. It seemed more like a carnival.

One thing I remember is what the Student (Security) Council sets up. They filled the school quadrangle with various symbols and scribbles. If you step on one, you suffer a penalty. Some of the penalties are putting you in a wooden detaining area (kinda like what city police precincts have only it's a lot more flimsy) or getting you soaking wet with a water balloon. It was quite fun, since it wasn't compulsory for the lower grades and I spent the time just hanging around.

On hindsight, it's probably something for the school to get a lot of money. They probably got a lot of income from selling the tickets. One just had to wonder how much.

Another event I remember from that school is more like Sports day, only without the sports. Everyone competes in music and dance exhibition. I remember a couple of classes including mine do a dance to a faux-Hawaiian song. It was open to the public, although I'm not sure if admission was charged (probably was). Everyone gets free tickets to invite family though.
Old 2007-09-21, 22:30   Link #279
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
I guess not many people will read this since this tread is dying, but they'll keep coming even if no one's reading them.
I will follow you in the L*S thread down to the pits of hell, AVPlaya-san! Once again, thanks for the post. Really lots of nice information in there. Who woulda thought Cheerleading had actually become popular in Japan? We don't get many news about that back here.

And as far as Sports events went back where I came from, it pretty much followed the same layout as Kinny Riddle's school for the most part. We were allowed to go around the school during certain times only, and when they were hosting games, you were supposed to go and cheer for your friends. Since me and the people I hung out with pretty much knew no one else out of our own circle, we just used the time to play some D&D Those were fun days, I have to tell you. And Cultural Festivals aren't that different anywhere you go. We had a Cafe and also had a Haunted house, although those aren't usual settings you'd find in most "normal" schools, so...

Quote:
Kagamin is so damn cute it's criminal ><
You f*cking bet she is! Kagamin Shall be remembered as one of the cutest tsunderes ever assmbled by a japanese mangakka! Seriously, she definitely deserves the Saimoe ><

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2007-09-21, 23:13   Link #280
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Spoiler for Long Post - Unhide to Read:
Some people smile sweetly when angry - they have a pretty oni no kao or is that not considered one?

Oo, stormy tonight. x_x
Closed Thread