AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Who are your favorite characters?
Alto Saotome 202 36.59%
Sheryl Nome 388 70.29%
Ranka Lee 159 28.80%
Brera Sterne 75 13.59%
Ozma Lee 127 23.01%
Cathy Glass 62 11.23%
Klan Klan 203 36.78%
Mikhail Blanc (aka Michel) 156 28.26%
Luca Angeloni 24 4.35%
Nanase Matsuura 23 4.17%
Canaria Berstein 18 3.26%
Leon Mishima 13 2.36%
Howard Glass 6 1.09%
Grace O'Connor 41 7.43%
Bobby Margot 61 11.05%
Nene Rora 14 2.54%
Raramia Rerenia 13 2.36%
Jeffrey Wilder 18 3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-27, 14:17   Link #501
MaiHikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
I was wondering about that myself. I'm more used to girls getting wild over shipping wars, so when it comes to series like Macross, it's always interesting to see guys join in the fray.

Was there a stigma amongst women against Sheryl in the beginning because she was the full figured, pushy type? Dunno. I just know I fell in love with her the second I saw the remixed version of the first ep, when she yelled at Alto to keep on flying after he knocked her over. Professionalism is a wonderful thing~
I'm a woman and I have love Sheryl. I think it's more of a division between age group or maturity level.
Old 2008-08-27, 14:21   Link #502
magnuskn

I´m a guy, but "Strawberry pie" about killed me. And she only has gotten better...
Old 2008-08-27, 14:33   Link #503
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
I'm a woman and I have love Sheryl. I think it's more of a division between age group or maturity level.
Hahaha, I'm a woman too. When I say "fall in love", I mean with her as a character. It's just LJ tends to skew female and slightly older, so it's an interesting difference.
Old 2008-08-27, 14:53   Link #504
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
*woot*

#1 Sheryl
#2 Klan Klan
#3 Saotome Alto
#11 Ranka Lee

DAMN STRAIGHT, except michael and ozma before saotome
Old 2008-08-27, 16:50   Link #505
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
I was wondering about that myself. I'm more used to girls getting wild over shipping wars, so when it comes to series like Macross, it's always interesting to see guys join in the fray.

Was there a stigma amongst women against Sheryl in the beginning because she was the full figured, pushy type? Dunno. I just know I fell in love with her the second I saw the remixed version of the first ep, when she yelled at Alto to keep on flying after he knocked her over. Professionalism is a wonderful thing~

Well, I'm a woman, and I absolutely adore Sheryl. It's her feistyness that is very attractive. But I think MaiHikari is correct in her assesment. Most of my female coworkers who are in my age range (28-37) really lean towards Sheryl.

I suppose it's the younger females who oppose Sheryl. I could be wrong but it's just an observation. I DO know of a couple females my age who actually side with Ranka but then again, they are part of the minority.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-08-27, 18:55   Link #506
aneeshadc

Quote:

I'm a woman & 19 to boot & absolutely love Sheryl, the whole package, her professionalism, adaptability to people & situations, spontaneity, enthusiasm for life, empathy for all people, genuine moments of compassion, stubborn hardheaded ignorance of her own limitations, pretending to be strong in the face of vulnerability, her interactions with alto-so compelling to watch........I could go on & on ...really. She's awesome!
I think it has more to do with maturity level & odd taste than age

Last edited by aneeshadc; 2008-08-27 at 19:13.
Old 2008-08-27, 19:05   Link #507
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
oioioi, how come only women here that are explaining their love for sheryl?!
Old 2008-08-27, 19:08   Link #508
aneeshadc

Quote:
Originally Posted by indr0008 View Post
Maybe cos most men fail to see anything more beyond Sheryl's gorgeous self?
Old 2008-08-27, 19:10   Link #509
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

I simply had a difficult time disobeying or simply refusing her. At the end, I just gave up.

Wait, actually I didn't even try, I volunteered as of Episode 1.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-27, 19:16   Link #510
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeshadc View Post
Maybe cos most men fail to see anything more beyond Sheryl's gorgeous self?
so that makes me a phailure?

no, wait that's not right........
Old 2008-08-27, 19:27   Link #511
OSAMU41
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
Some of the comments are pretty funny when translated to Japanese. I wonder how mike_s_6 feels about being mistaken for a guy again. Not only that but she now uses "ore".
Sorry mike_s_6,I felt sure that you are a boy

I corrected it just now:-D
Old 2008-08-27, 19:38   Link #512
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSAMU41 View Post
Sorry mike_s_6,I felt sure that you are a boy

I corrected it just now:-D
Don't worry, I made the same mistake until I learned she was a girl . Btw I loved the 俺もNanaseに投票したぜ!おっぱい最高!! comment . Nice way of translating "Another one for Nanase! BOo8!3s FTW!!1" .
Old 2008-08-27, 19:48   Link #513
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
For me it was the Strawberry Pie comment as well. And she never disappointed me. Sheryl's entire character is win win for me. I was never into the cutesy moe types. Give me a more mature, sexy, confident, hard worker, who's tender in the inside, anyday of the week please.
Old 2008-08-27, 19:53   Link #514
SymphonicRain

And a pair of jugs large enough to hold my personal hopes and dreams
Old 2008-08-27, 19:54   Link #515
aneeshadc

Quote:
so that makes me a phailure?

no, wait that's not right........
Nope, just makes u a blind fool
Old 2008-08-27, 19:55   Link #516
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Welcome, OSAMU41! You'll find that Animesuki has a large following of Sheryl fans; what are the results over there in Japan?
Old 2008-08-27, 20:00   Link #517
zalem

Quote:
Hahaha, I'm a woman too. When I say "fall in love", I mean with her as a character. It's just LJ tends to skew female and slightly older, so it's an interesting difference.
LJ skews older? I think the opposite about LJ...many females but all very young. Like I said in another post, take a look at those friending memes in communities. I was hard pressed to find anyone my age. Mostly teens and some people in their early 20s.

I find older people here than on LJ. Another reason why I prefer it here. There are many more guys here too.
Old 2008-08-27, 20:03   Link #518
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

But the simplest reason why I like Sheryl?

Spoiler for Duh:

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-27, 20:10   Link #519
musouka

Hello, OSAMU41! I love reading comments from our message boards translated into Japanese; it's always interesting. Keep up the good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
LJ skews older? I think the opposite about LJ...many females but all very young. Like I said in another post, take a look at those friending memes in communities. I was hard pressed to find anyone my age. Mostly teens and some people in their early 20s.

I find older people here than on LJ. Another reason why I prefer it here. There are many more guys here too.
Maybe I'm thinking "older" in comparison to "Gaia Online", but I think the average age of women on LJ is early twenties, which I think is a little "old" to be identifying with the "shy, inwardly focused girl".

I don't think it's as simple as "girls like Ranka" and "boys like Sheryl", just I seemed to notice a lot of Ranka's most passionate fans were female, and the reverse for Sheryl. But there are obviously a lot of female Sheryl fans in this thread alone. I love Ranka too, though. Just...not with Alto.
Old 2008-08-27, 20:19   Link #520
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Quote:
Because, as a man , we doesn't have to explain anything about our love for the queen

Tags
characters, favorite