AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-12, 19:11   Link #141
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Funimation has also announced that they will stream the first four episodes of the dub tomorrow (the 13th) so anyone in the R1 viewing area should be able to draw their own conclusions after this.
Old 2009-11-12, 20:41   Link #142
Kotobasuu
OCD Cowgirl

Send a message via AIM to Kotobasuu Send a message via MSN to Kotobasuu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamden View Post
Watching the cosplay sketch, I think Kid and Black*Star's voices sound better there than in the preview clips, so I hope the actors go back to that.
I think its because they probably did the skit long after they began dubbing the episodes. They'll probably sound like that later on in the series, wheras in the beginning they were just getting adjusted to their roles.
Old 2009-11-15, 22:16   Link #143
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

So did anyone else watch those first four episodes? Mixed reactions to a big cast although I thought that Blair's voice was perfect for her, the right mix of cute and sexy.
Old 2009-11-17, 18:52   Link #144
lmd_84

I would have except I'm not in the US! Have managed to see some clips, though, and am fairly happy so fair. I even don't mind Black Star, because I think the VA's delivery is fine, it's just the fact she sounds like a little girl that is the problem.

Kid is wonderfully bratty in the episode 3 clip I saw, though I wonder how the actor will do his more serious moments.

Maka I actually think sounds too old for 13, and too serious when compared to the original, who sounded more like a child which I thought was fitting, at least for the earliest episodes.

Stein seems good, though his bored tone in the episode 4 clip did stray into "reading lines from a script" territory, which is naturally disappointing. But the test will be his madness, without a doubt. Hopefully the rest of that episode should give us a clue as to how the VA will play the sadist. And on the subject, I wonder if the actors have watched original, or much far ahead to see what their characters do later on?
Old 2010-01-23, 23:17   Link #145
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

A few more clips have been posted and someone on the LJ comm tracked down this one of Chrona and Ragnarok on Amazon.
Dang, even Chrona sounds more like a guy than Black Star. Then again, they were also clearly using male pronouns here...
Old 2010-01-24, 16:16   Link #146
lmd_84

Well, they had to decide on something, although having the dub refer to Crona as male will throw me a bit because I've got it into my head that they're female. I like the sound of Crona, though. While the voice does lean towards 'male', there's still some ambiguity about it, particularly because they sound young. Ragnarok sounds much older, though, which actually is a little creepy...

Hearing Stein doing this bit makes me wonder how the VA's really going to do. The flat delivery can work in places, because it fits Stein's manner in a way, but if it continues he's just not going to get the madness right.
Old 2010-01-27, 12:34   Link #147
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

@lmd_84: There are other ways of watching the Soul Eater dubs. I really hope funi removed them from their channel so that they can redub them.

Since I belive the VA's can preform, but they just aren't right now. Maka's voice was the best out of the VA's in that clip and since I had a lot of comments on her that's not a good sign.

STEIN SHOULD NOT SOUND LIKE THAT!

I mean Stein was all like:
I think I'd like to dissect you now.
And I was all like:
I think I'd like you to STFU now.

Well, at least Crona's voice was pretty good.
Old 2010-03-10, 21:55   Link #148
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repelsteeltju View Post
@lmd_84: There are other ways of watching the Soul Eater dubs. I really hope funi removed them from their channel so that they can redub them.

Since I belive the VA's can preform, but they just aren't right now. Maka's voice was the best out of the VA's in that clip and since I had a lot of comments on her that's not a good sign.

STEIN SHOULD NOT SOUND LIKE THAT!

I mean Stein was all like:
I think I'd like to dissect you now.
And I was all like:
I think I'd like you to STFU now.

Well, at least Crona's voice was pretty good.
Lest we forget, Chuck Huber was in Fullmetal Alchemist as Shou Tucker, another mad scientist. He just recently reprised that role in Funi's dub of FMA: Brotherhood, and I find him even more fitting as Stein now than ever before.

I just know what you should be doing.
Old 2010-04-12, 02:11   Link #149
aishaelizabeth

Soul Eater

I dont know. I own the first 7 episodes of the dub and I have to say that it is pretty good. Well except for Black Star, they should have had a guy do him. I LOVE Laura Bailey as Maka though. But she is always great in what she does
Old 2010-04-12, 15:55   Link #150
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

Chuck Huber's role in FMA made me think he's the right man for the job. He just doesn't put enough emotion into it...
Old 2010-04-12, 17:29   Link #151
Haladflire65
*Artist

I just watched episode 23, to see how the voices sounded... UGH... Stein makes me nauseous, half the time he sounds like he's reading from a piece of paper during English class >.< It's not just him, though - Spirit and Medusa both sound awfully wooden, too. This dub is a bit of a fail, at least for these three characters. Now excuse me while I go listen to the Japanese version again.

Uchida Yuuya FTW, no one can beat him at being Stein.
Old 2010-04-13, 14:50   Link #152
qwertyuiopz

maka is the only one i like better than the original
why did they make black star like justin beiber
Old 2010-04-15, 22:00   Link #153
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
I just watched episode 23, to see how the voices sounded... UGH... Stein makes me nauseous, half the time he sounds like he's reading from a piece of paper during English class >.< It's not just him, though - Spirit and Medusa both sound awfully wooden, too. This dub is a bit of a fail, at least for these three characters. Now excuse me while I go listen to the Japanese version again.

Uchida Yuuya FTW, no one can beat him at being Stein.
Oddly enough, I did the same thing (watched 23) and came to the same conclusions. However, then I watched a few other episodes, and I don't think they're that bad. They just sucked for that episode, which is disappointing since it's an awesome episode. Spirit is okay, if a bit less interesting, and Medusa actually kind of grew on me. Stein is pretty one-note though. He's decent at deadpan comedy, pretty bad at deadpan seriousness, and terrible at the crazy. Given the character, that makes him terrible overall, but he sometimes fits, if only in the sense that a broken clock is right twice a day. I really miss the Japanese Stein.

The kids are much better than the adults overall, with the exception of Black*Star who sounds far too much like a girl. It makes him even more annoying while simultaneously diminishing his cool moments. Tsubaki sounds very different, but it seems to work out okay, maybe? I haven't heard her much, but I could see it going either way. Same with Eruka. A very different voice, but it's decent in its own way.
Old 2010-08-29, 00:20   Link #154
xXCronaXx
An Appetizing Soul

umm sorry Wandering_Dreamer but umm it's spelled CRONA no H there!! and yea i mean they should have the guy who does naruto play him! i mean really!! Who is he, JUSTIN BEIBER?!
Closed Thread