AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-06-16, 10:08   Link #101
HasuMasu
*Artist

^

"And he shall burn all his fat upon the altar, as the fat of the sacrifice of peace offerings: and the priest shall make an atonement for him as concerning his sin, and it shall be forgiven him." -Leviticus Chapter 4 Verse 26
Old 2012-06-16, 11:11   Link #102
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
"The 1979 Alien is a much more cerebral movie than its sequels, with the characters (and the audience) genuinely engaged in curiosity about this weirdest of lifeforms...Unfortunately, the films it influenced studied its thrills but not its thinking. – Roger Ebert"

Thus to the casual audience, it's a mindless horror action film. With Prometheus, Scott should have done away with his agenda and look back at what made Alien great.
Uhhh, so to prove that casual audiences perceive Alien as a mindless action horror flick...you post a quote of Robert Ebert saying Alien wasn't a mindless action horror flick?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 14:59   Link #103
antediluvian
Before the Deluge

I personally enjoyed Prometheus a great deal. We're looking for too much sometimes and maybe we set our standards too high. There is a great deal of thought that goes into even the most shitty movies, and Prometheus, in my humble opinion, gets a 10 just due to the fact that I had fun while watching it with my little brother. I could knit all the pieces of the movie together and the side stories came together well. What more can I ask of Ridley Scott?

I also wait in anticipation for the sequel.
antediluvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 18:38   Link #104
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Uhhh, so to prove that casual audiences perceive Alien as a mindless action horror flick...you post a quote of Robert Ebert saying Alien wasn't a mindless action horror flick?
Thought I lift the words from the God Emperor of film critics himself.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 06:55   Link #105
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Thought I lift the words from the God Emperor of film critics himself.
I just read Eberts Alien reviews, and I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion at all.

I don't quite get how we go from Ebert praising Alien as a smart, slow paced sci-fi movie, calling back to the golden age of written scifi, with the idea that the general public thinks of it as a mindless action film.
Old 2012-06-17, 07:16   Link #106
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
I don't quite get how we go from Ebert praising Alien as a smart, slow paced sci-fi movie, calling back to the golden age of written scifi, with the idea that the general public thinks of it as a mindless action film.
In a sense that if we go by how the words of Ebert, of how the film Alien influenced having the thrills but not the philosophy, it can only meant what the general public percieved it as.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2012-06-17 at 07:49.
Old 2012-06-17, 10:34   Link #107
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
In a sense that if we go by how the words of Ebert, of how the film Alien influenced having the thrills but not the philosophy, it can only meant what the general public percieved it as.
But the general public didn't make the follow up alien movies after Aliens, or the various cheap knockoffs. Those films were less popular with the general public.
Old 2012-06-17, 15:49   Link #108
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
But the general public didn't make the follow up alien movies after Aliens, or the various cheap knockoffs. Those films were less popular with the general public.
They were still profitable if you look at the earnings. Also, the fact that the whole Alien brand turns into cheap thrillers such as AvP just only strengthen the belief.
Old 2012-06-17, 16:03   Link #109
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Aliens did well from what I recall. It was a decent action film. Also had a fair soundtrack by James Horner.
Old 2012-06-17, 18:57   Link #110
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Aliens did well from what I recall. It was a decent action film. Also had a fair soundtrack by James Horner.
Most people who are critical of the later alien films for being mindless stupid action tend to praise Aliens for being an example of an intelligent action movie.

Really. Has ANY movie since Aliens been able to match Sigourney Weaver playing Ripley as a heroic empowered heroine in an action film?

I hate modern female action heroines. And in a way, I don't think Ridley Scott has a good a grasp of them as James Cameron does.
Old 2012-06-19, 19:40   Link #111
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Spoiler for The "Engineers made us theory" is bullshit: