AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-06-14, 03:39   Link #21
HasuMasu
*Artist

How does that not make them gay, or at least bi?
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 04:05   Link #22
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcscasio View Post
Greeks weren't gay, it's even more simple than that, kids are annoying, sex with women made kids. So they had sex between men so that doesn't happen. They didn't see things like we do, any hole is a hole to put in...
Sex with women made kids... Sex with gays uhm.... extinction?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 08:35   Link #23
jvcscasio
Lord of Lurkervile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
Exactly my point, they weren't gay, they were bi...

And the guy who said extinction, remember they DID have sex with women, so no extinction for you...
jvcscasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 09:38   Link #24
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

a whole year till it gets released....oh well not a movie to get worked up about i guess
Old 2013-06-14, 09:53   Link #25
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
a whole year till it gets released....oh well not a movie to get worked up about i guess
Oh no no, they announced it now so that people have a year to work out before they go cosplay as a well-oiled topless Greek deathmachine to watch the movie.

Cheers.
Old 2013-06-14, 10:46   Link #26
jvcscasio
Lord of Lurkervile

I don't care about the infantry, I want to see badass water battles...
Old 2013-06-14, 10:53   Link #27
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
Oh my earlier comment was in response of the last 300 film where they make fun of Athenians for being "boys and book lovers" and a general negative depiction of homosexuality. So I was wondering what those macho man think when they were beaten by a certified homo lovers.
Old 2013-06-15, 01:09   Link #28
Theo

None of the 300 fans I talked to ever wanted to address the huge elephant in the room regarding the scene where a baby is explicitly left on a mountain to die of exposure and starvation or the Spartans owning slaves (Helots).

But we got FREEDOOOOOM and SPARTAAAAAAAAA to override that cognitive dissonance to protect this baby-killing, slave-owning society and fight off those nasty, evil, freedom-hating Persians, right?
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 02:55   Link #29
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
None of the 300 fans I talked to ever wanted to address the huge elephant in the room regarding the scene where a baby is explicitly left on a mountain to die of exposure and starvation or the Spartans owning slaves (Helots).

But we got FREEDOOOOOM and SPARTAAAAAAAAA to override that cognitive dissonance to protect this baby-killing, slave-owning society and fight off those nasty, evil, freedom-hating Persians, right?
Well from my way of looking it, the "Spartan" in this movie basically glorify the army in modern society, not only the US, Greek, or Western army in general. But any army, insurgent groups can by glorified with the similar light. Well of course the movie itself sparked on the East vs West conflict, and try to draw between a good peace loving, democratic, freedom West and the barbaric, uncivilized, slave owning East. And of course it is Western-made, so there will always be divide in opinion about how we should look at it for its artistic rather than political implication.

But let just say if the Taliban making a similar movie trying to glorify their extremist action (and i choose them since they are not perceived well in the West, you can put whatever you hate here, Neo-Nazi, fascists, USSR). They probably can make a very similar movies. Starting with screen of (extremist) Islam 'peaceful' society where men are loyal to God with occasionally some stoned to death and public executed for betrayal to their belief. And then Western enterprise CEO came in to offer building, let say, a beer company, whore house, massive Buddhist statue or whatever in their land, while threatening with the back-up of Western military or whatever. Of course that guy will be kicked out of the window into his death with "This is Spartaaaa" style, just arfer joking about Muslism women asses and going through "This is madness" conversation. Then the next part will be on how the Western army comes in slaughtering the Islamic populations with drones or bombers. Then we have the screen of the Taliban meeting up with bunches of warlord and Muslim state representative (UAE, Saudi,etc), trying to defend their final holy ground. But was rejected and die heroically against waves and waves of Western baby-eating monsters (literally or not). The movie will ends with a monologue about how that heroic last stand making Muslisms around the world signs up for suicide bomb coats, and blow up Israel bus, and demoralise Zionish governments. And instead of Battle of Plataea, they will ends the movie with screen of Muslism around the regions banded up, despite outnumbered by Western forces, march back to retake Jerusalem.

Oh and it will have super artistic effects, super well-directed and emotional build-up also. Mindless entertainment value right? Nah, it probably will still be banned in most countries, while we talking about in disgusts. But that's why i can't stand the first 300, and probably not the next too.

I think it was from extra credits where they talked about how a good story is one that still be good no matter what is the set-up. In a far far universe, modern age, or fantasy land with orcs, trolls and what not. In that aspect, 300 fails badly.

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2013-06-15 at 03:08.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 03:01   Link #30
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post

You know what? I've seen that movie more than once and didn't even notice.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 04:07   Link #31
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Which is ironic because the Athenian fleet (which was one of the largest Greek fleets at the time iirc) was what allowed the Spartans to not get outflanked by the massive army at Thermopylae. But everyone tends to forget that there were naval battles at all.

Then again, it's all glorified dramatization, so getting nitpicky over actual historical details is just likely to kill kittens. Poor kittens.
Old 2013-06-15, 05:00   Link #32
jvcscasio
Lord of Lurkervile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Which is ironic because the Athenian fleet (which was one of the largest Greek fleets at the time iirc) was what allowed the Spartans to not get outflanked by the massive army at Thermopylae. But everyone tends to forget that there were naval battles at all.

Then again, it's all glorified dramatization, so getting nitpicky over actual historical details is just likely to kill kittens. Poor kittens.
People normally don't even remember there was a battle after 300, most of my friend are like "was there more?".

and I have to explain history for everyone again and again. My guess is that people don't pay attention to history classes...
Old 2013-06-15, 05:38   Link #33
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
People normally don't even remember there was a battle after 300, most of my friend are like "was there more?".

and I have to explain history for everyone again and again. My guess is that people don't pay attention to history classes...
You teacher?

Anyway, in the movie, that's Salamis or Plataea?

If I remembered well (not in history class), the ending of 300 shows the start of the Battle of Plataea.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 07:34   Link #34
jvcscasio
Lord of Lurkervile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
You teacher?

Anyway, in the movie, that's Salamis or Plataea?

If I remembered well (not in history class), the ending of 300 shows the start of the Battle of Plataea.
The teacher is my father, but he always make me correct test and exercises from his students... Best way to study...
Old 2013-06-15, 08:24   Link #35
Xagzan

Quote:
Same here. That was always one of my favorite parts of Herodotus, and so far what we saw of it in the trailer looks strikingly similar to how it looked in my imagination.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 13:43   Link #36
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

We have everything for everyone's tastes from the looks of it: Themistocles involved 10 years earlier as an Athenian general in the Battle of Marathon (land assault), then leading the Athenian navy 10 years later against a badass female admiral leading the Persian fleet.

And besides, the decisive Greek counterattack at Plataea was made possible after the battle of Salamis.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 15:01   Link #37
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well, if you guys read Gates of Hell (which i guess is somewhat historically accurate) the epilogue has them talking about how the Athenian navy smashes the persian one. and ever since i read that book, i wanted it to be a movie..

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote