AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-08-05, 05:55   Link #21
Lost Cause

From the advertisements I've seen, this movie reminds me of the old anime OAV Battle Angel Alita, and the manga series by the same name or Gunm(sp?).
This I do want to see!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 08:41   Link #22
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Actually watched the trailer just now, no wonder my friend called the movie "Slumdog Ironman"

The plot seems quite straightforward through, but so was District 9. And that one was amazing
Old 2013-08-07, 02:13   Link #23
killer3000ad

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
We got a runner!
Old 2013-08-09, 20:24   Link #24
Alchemist007
*Author

Just saw it. The visuals and acting are alright (though the bad guy with the NZ accent was a bit hard to understand at times). The story is pretty stupid though, just full of plot holes.

Overall 7/10.
Old 2013-08-09, 21:46   Link #25
Soverence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Just saw it. The visuals and acting are alright (though the bad guy with the NZ accent was a bit hard to understand at times). The story is pretty stupid though, just full of plot holes.

Overall 7/10.
I agree with you on all points. The story is basically he wants to not die, so get to elysium, that is about it. Honestly, other then the visuals and action i felt the movie was weak in all other aspects. I couldn't connect with any of the characters which made me care very little about what happened to them, the characters motives were all very weak and never that well explained, even the world wasn't set up all that well in my opinion. It all comes off as a very generic action movie experience when the premise made it seem like it could be so much more, but alas, in my opinion it is not.

Overall 5/10
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 03:04   Link #26
HasuMasu
*Artist

How have you all seen this? I just went to the movies yesterday and it was 'Coming Soon'.
Old 2013-08-10, 05:54   Link #27
killer3000ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masuzu View Post
How have you all seen this? I just went to the movies yesterday and it was 'Coming Soon'.
It's just opened in the US.
Old 2013-08-17, 21:04   Link #28
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

No wonder the movie got mixed reception. It basically throw in all American political debate and pan it out into the movie..... It almost feel like a semi- documentary movie set up in sci-fi setting, so you will be disappointed if total action is what you were looking for. can't quite explain it to be honest.

I actually like it a fair bit. It's main weakness is how many themes it was trying to push on. Should really focus on just one
Old 2013-08-28, 20:20   Link #29
El Guapo
Dave's not here, man

I disliked this for pretty much the same reason I disliked Avatar (the James Cameron movie from a few years back; not the cartoon about airbenders). It has a good premise, and in terms of visuals it's quite nice (much like Avatar, they did a really good job making the technology look like machines that might actually exist in 100 years, instead of just sci-fi gadgets). Unfortunately, the story is a just a completely heavy-handed piece of social commentary that is too cartoonishly polarized to deserve being taken seriously. If the Earth was really as messed up and overpopulated as its supposed to be in this movie, it would be an all-out war for survival, and people would be fighting for basic necessities. Luxury probably wouldn't even exist at all anymore. A situation where there's only enough food and medicine for maybe 1/3 of the Earth's population to barely keep themselves alive, and the morally ambiguous world this would create could make an interesting movie; this, however, was just silly. If missing your own point were an Olympic event, Neil Blomkamp would not only take home the gold, he would flaunt that very gold in the faces of the starving masses populating his dystopian world. It's a shame, because I loved District 9.

Also, the ending had me and my friend cracking up:

Spoiler for ending:

http://www.therealmuffin.net

http://music.therealmuffin.net</plug>
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 05:01   Link #30
Bri

Saw Elysium last weekend. I think it was rather refreshing to see a true sci-fi movie that explores social issues in a future setting rather than the all to common summer block buster action types.

Basic premiss is simple: third world individual tries to make it to the first world to receive medical care while his injuries are caused by poor working conditions in a factory of a first world multinational.

The setting seems exaggerated but to illustrate the income disparity between the world's poorest and richest people it's closer than comfortable. The Med-pod being a symbol for western medication and treatments.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 11:02   Link #31
james0246

I'm not sure what to say about this film.

I did like Matt Damon. While his character was never as complex or interesting as it should have been (and his end was so cliche and boring as to have been written by a 13 year old), still Damon did as much as he could with the character. The same is also true of Sharlto Copely and Jodie Foster, who at least seemed to have fun with their characters. Sadly, everyone else is ridiculously ill-defined (or just plain boring) as to be nothing more than cardboard cutouts of ideas the writer never attempted to flesh out. (William Fichtner was an unexpected surprise, but then again he often is.)

I did like the very lived in world that Blomkamp created. Sadly we never see enough of it to warrant the insane budget for such a simplistic film (how this move cost 90-110 million is beyond me, especially since Blomkamp made a similar scale film in 'District 9' with a budget only 1/4 the size of 'Elysiums'.

The action sequences were sub-par to non-existent (with none of the spontaneity or freshness of 'District 9'), making the whole premise of the super suit fundamentally meaningless (though the scene in which the suit is strapped to Matt Damon was quite horrifyingly beautiful).

The dialogue was quite terrible at times.

The overarching themes were so in my face as to cause my eyes to cross.

Overall, the visual quality of this picture is one of its only real redeeming qualities. I know sophomore efforts are often a great struggle, especially for such a visual director, but Elysium was a complete misstep. 60/100.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote