AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-16, 23:46   Link #901
sergel02

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Which is a damn good thing, trust me!!! I decided to sign up here after leaving a dying forum and I cant seem to get enough of the high level discussions.
lol i agree. I was worried when i got into this show that the forum would be dead because i need good ppl to talk to, but I'm glad its not =)

But question, how many manga chapters does Chihayafuru have?
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 15:38   Link #902
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for episode 15:
Old 2012-01-17, 16:45   Link #903
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
lol i agree. I was worried when i got into this show that the forum would be dead because i need good ppl to talk to, but I'm glad its not =)

But question, how many manga chapters does Chihayafuru have?

Chapter 86 is the newest as of 2 weeks ago. Currently at end of episode 14 it's at chapter 26. If you are following manga or doesn't mind spoiler, there is also a manga discussion thread.
Old 2012-01-17, 16:53   Link #904
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 15:
Old 2012-01-17, 17:57   Link #905
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Sometimes Chihayafuru treads the line of melodrama a little much like it did this episode. Wasn't necessary to have the whole team cry over his loss.

Still reasonably decent episode, but a little sloppier than usual. 7/10.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 18:31   Link #906
Undertaker

Why? it wasn't just that Taichi lost, it also meant that their national campaign as Karuta club also ended for that year.

Even profession athletes cries at the end of campaign all the time especially after losing in the championship games.

That's fairly natural in competitive world, especially they are all just 15.
Old 2012-01-17, 18:40   Link #907
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I played in junior tournaments all the time as a tennis player, I am quite aware of how some people act like after they lose in sports. Some people are just pure melodramas, yes. But that's the thing, like in real life, it's something that I believe is thrown out of proportion completely and I never liked. Seeing it in anime form isn't exactly entertaining for me either. I always respect the athletes more who were all about business, while still displaying a love for their sport/hobby.

It's not a flaw in realism I'm trying to point out. It's seeing the characters in the show portrayed in a light I don't really like that much.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 19:37   Link #908
Undertaker

I play football and baseball myself, I guess it really comes down to how you view things. Some people thinks that being calm/business like all the time means that they don't care about the sport of they don't love the sport. Others thinks being emotional is being disrespect to the sport or showing weakness. Well, to each their own.
Old 2012-01-17, 20:52   Link #909
Kirarakim

I definitely think there is a bit too much crying in this series...that being said I was still emotionally affected at that scene...I think I just love these kids too much.

And Taichi is just gosh such a great character, the best of a fantastic lot. I love that he came to the realization that its sad to lose but he can keep trying and improve himself. It's great that he fighting to be play against Arata. In some ways its his rivalry with Arata that makes me think of Hikaru & Akira from Hikaru no Go a little bit.

Although I guess we also have something similar with Chihaya and the Queen.
Old 2012-01-17, 21:05   Link #910
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I definitely think there is a bit too much crying in this series...
Yes I very much agree in some cases it loses impact because Chihaya cries almost every single episode. But I still really do enjoy the show. I like Shinobu, don't know why I think part of it i how she dresses.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 22:46   Link #911
GundamZZ
残念美人

I think the interpretation should be this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Spoiler for episode 15:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler for episode 15:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler for episode 15:
Spoiler:
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust

Last edited by GundamZZ; 2012-01-17 at 23:05.
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 22:53   Link #912
Aesthetic Shampoo

I don't get why Shinobu was so worked up over Chihaya even though Sudou was better than her. But I liked her bipolarness.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 23:08   Link #913
Undertaker

It's the same reason Arata was shocked when Chihaya first took a card in his area. There are cards that are harder to get than others, ie the cards that are furthermost away from you, if you lose those cards, not a big deal, in fact you usually are expect to lost those cards.

However, due to Chihaya's extraordinary hearing, she was able to react faster then others and launch and took almost any card at any range. That was what set Chihaya apart, her potential of recognizing a card before everyone else.

Basically the cards that Chihaya was getting included a few of those cards that she wasn't supposed to or expected to get.
Old 2012-01-17, 23:16   Link #914
Sol Falling

Shinobu in episode 14: "Soon enough, it's like I'm back to playing karuta by myself again".
Random commentator in ep. 15: "She never joined a karuta society".

We see Shinobu practising alone with tapes like Arata used to near the end. Is the implication that Shinobu got where she is today by mostly just playing by herself?

Sudou came in second, and took 13 cards off Shinobu. I guess when Hakuou's advisor said he could be a future Meijin, they were serious. This also makes Chihaya's win against Sudou back in the team preliminaries more interesting in itself.

Not sure how to interpret Chihaya's "that's why I call her Shinobu-chan". It followed Kana's "she sure is scary", so I suppose logically we could assume that Chihaya's addressing her familiarly/diminutively in order to reduce the sense that she is a powerful obstacle. However, I would rather take it as an extension from Chihaya's earlier statement that she "sees her in [her] dreams" implying that, through meeting Shinobu in her dreams, Chihaya already feels familiar enough with her to address her that way.

I feel that there were probably two key points to this episode. The first is/was that accepting defeat, not matter how painful, is something that people must do--Miyauchi-sensei's line being key here, that despite having struggled, the Mizusawa karuta club members do not comfort each other. The other was properly establishing this show's rivalries, in Chihaya-Shinobu, Taichi-Arata, and Nishida-Taichi. The show was pretty blatant in establishing that Arata's role is not (any longer?) Chihaya's opponent. Beyond reuniting, then, I wonder where that particular relationship is intended to go.

On the "melodrama". Nishida's lines, and Taichi's initial reaction to it, did feel like a bit much to me. One thing that is a bit of an emotional turnoff for me is when a person engages in pity or sympathy based on projection rather than the actual feelings of the subject themselves. The scene sort of reads that way, like Nishida is crying out of exaggerated selfless empathy for Taichi. However, I think the intention might simply be to reinforce Nishida's character as someone who knows the pain of being second place, and his tears can be read not so much as sympathy for Taichi but rather a sublimation of his intense engagement in Taichi's match such that he felt like he was playing himself. That is to say, perhaps Nishida was crying from his own pain, because in comparison to Taichi (who said to himself, "I haven't put in the time") who just became passionate about karuta today, the one who most experienced the bitterness of failure this time might in fact have been Nishida.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 23:24   Link #915
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnythesun View Post
I don't get why Shinobu was so worked up over Chihaya even though Sudou was better than her. But I liked her bipolarness.
There is a large gap in skill between Sudou and Chihaiya. I'm pretty certain Sudou established himself early on against Shinobou, but when Chiahaiya was playing Shinobu, she was being decimated systematically. With Sudou, Shinobou had an idea about her opponent. Chihaiya was someone who showed all the characteristic of amaeture who would eventually give up as she was being crushed. And then she revolts, tries to fight the inevitable and even rallies to take a few cards, five in all. At one point, she was actually playing to win. Considering the set of skill Shinobou possesses and how she has outplayed Chihaiya up until near the end, it must have been infuriating to see Chihaiya's self belief that she can actually win against Shinobu. How dare she!

Shinobu is extremely cute!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 02:42   Link #916
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

So did Chihaya really do track and field? How can she be run into exhaustion by Porky of all people?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 02:48   Link #917
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think way too much focus here is on Taichi's declaration that he was aiming to beat Arata in Karuta. He is, but he was really talking about in something much more important. Fact is, Taichi has always been living under his mother's "don't play if you can't win" admonition, and taken it to the extreme of letting it govern his emotional risk-taking too. As much as he loves Chihaya he knows the odds are against him, so he doesn't put his heart on the line by acting on it. Until now, that is - and I think that's what "today is the day" and all the rest of it were really about. Yes, he cried because he lost, and he'd finally let himself care enough about something to cry - but also because he's about to take the biggest risk he's ever taken.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 05:17   Link #918
Hikari no Clover

just a warm reminder, the ending theme is out, found it on youtube......
Old 2012-01-18, 05:22   Link #919
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
I think the interpretation should be this way.

Spoiler:
That's what I thought until now (I even defended using that same argument last week). However, the look on her face after the match when she was looking up Chihaya's name made me change my mind. That was no "serious business" face anymore, there was anger and hatred on it. You could feel it in her voice too (I'm very impressed with her voice actress by the way). Then when Chihaya showed up, she immediately put on a fake innocent smile to hide it. She did so very naturally, hence why I say she's two-faced.

As for the reason Chihaya infuriated her so much, I agree with Monir's interpretation. I would even go as far as to say she actually enjoys crushing her opponents (and mocking them as we've seen with Sudou). The S in Shinobu stands for Sadist! (and Sexy)

In any case, I'm sure she won't be your average friendly rival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
Spoiler:
Interesting. I thought Taichi would be a bit happy to learn Chihaya doesn't dream about Arata.

I agree romance isn't the focal point. Now that Taichi has a goal of his own and has decided be serious about Karuta, even he might put romance on hold.
Old 2012-01-18, 06:13   Link #920
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I definitely think there is a bit too much crying in this series...that being said I was still emotionally affected at that scene...I think I just love these kids too much.
I'm a sucker for this type of drama, so i don't have a problem with the amount of tears in this episode. Actually, i found it spot on for Taichi's development/decision he was creating for himself.

Tags
josei, karuta, madhouse