Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-06-10, 20:26   Link #61
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Overall, more than the stupidity of the characters in a survival situation, I think the movies biggest failing is the *profound* and deep stuff they try to push on us.

Could be just a tactic to push the sales of the home video release here.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 23:28   Link #62
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post

Could be just a tactic to push the sales of the home video release here.
Frankly, I don't think Scott deserves more screentime to mess the movie up.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 09:35   Link #63
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Frankly, I don't think Scott deserves more screentime to mess the movie up.
I don't know. With Ridley Scott, some recut and extention of his films on home release might just actually turns out better then the theatrical release. Examples includes Blade Runner, Gladiator and Kingdom Of Heaven.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 13:07   Link #64
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
I don't know. With Ridley Scott, some recut and extention of his films on home release might just actually turns out better then the theatrical release. Examples includes Blade Runner, Gladiator and Kingdom Of Heaven.
The directors cut for Robin Hood was pretty bad though. Also. Gladiator and Blade Runner are old movies.

And the directors cut isn't going to change how stupid most of the characters were.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:01   Link #65
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Gave it a try...and even though there were some alluring ideas with the themes of panspermia and Erick von Daniken-inspired ideas (early civilizations raised/created by ancient astronauts) as well as the creator-creation stormy relationship, I found myself gnashing my teeth a handful of times during the movie.

At several points I was practically balling my fists and exhorting the main character to die already - her overbearing faith ("I chose to believe") grated on my nerves even to the end
Spoiler:

And...behold the future of computer technology. Flute-activated dashboards/PCs!
Has Apple, Motorola or any other well-known patent bully copyrighted this already?

But...yeah, the visuals are great - that's at least one thing you can count Ridley Scott to deliver: great scenes that almost should belong in a glorious painting.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2012-06-13 at 05:43.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 08:49   Link #66
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Gave it a try...and even though there were some alluring ideas with the themes of panspermia and Erick von Daniken-inspired ideas (early civilizations raised/created by ancient astronauts) as well as the creator-creation stormy relationship, I found myself gnashing my teeth a handful of times during the movie.

At several points I was practically balling my fists and exhorting the main character to die already - her overbearing faith ("I chose to believe") grated on my nerves even to the end
Spoiler:

And...behold the future of computer technology. Flute-activated dashboards/PCs!
Has Apple, Motorola or any other well-known patent bully copyrighted this already?

But...yeah, the visuals are great - that's at least one thing you can count Ridley Scott to deliver: great scenes that almost should belong in a glorious painting.
Spoiler for my thoughts:
Old 2012-06-14, 09:21   Link #67
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Neil deGrasse Tyson on "Prometheus" Gaffe
Old 2012-06-14, 11:10   Link #68
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My son's review of the movie: A lot of gloriously pretty pictures pasted onto a juvenile hack story with characters you hated like some schlock horror movie. And then he ranted about the utter stupidity of the main character.

His final remark: "There's some really great science fiction out there... but most of it has never been filmed and I'm thinking it won't be because no one in the business appears to have a clue..."

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-06-14 at 12:06.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 11:43   Link #69
james0246

I'm still not sure what to think of the film. On one hand, there is some truly great images, mixed with an potentially interesting story and characters, and it is all well acted (even if I do not remember more than 3 of the characters names (I spent the first half hour of the film intermittently giggling over the fact that Noomi Rapace went from a character named Lisbeth to a character named Elizabeth)). On the other hand, the characters have no depth (and any depth you think they have comes solely from the actor's acting the hell out of the stupid story (there are sequences with some amazing acting, but the context for the acting makes little to no sense; this odd disparity between acting and sub-par characterization is truly mind boggling, more so than the lackluster story)), and the story never really goes anywhere (except to an inevitable sequel). I can't say I'm really disappointed in the film (since I didn't expect much from Ridley Scott to begin with (when did Ridley's brother Tony Scott become the better director?)), but I can't say I am pleased with the end result. 50/100.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 12:03   Link #70
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

On the one hand, it's cool that the Alien universe just got expanded, with obvious openings for further exploration of the Engineers plot line. On the other hand, the movie just felt pedestrian from beginning to end. There was plenty of eye candy, in the form of shiny gadgetry and a statuesque Charlize Theron, but the film never managed to generate an iota of dramatic tension, just a lot of overblown angst.

Given the expectations and hype surrounding this project, it's a great letdown. Prometheus felt like Ridley Scott trying to channel James Cameron only to fail miserably. You know you've just watched a dud when the most memorable thing about the whole evening was the new Dark Knight trailer...
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 12:05   Link #71
Jaden

'Pretentious' is the word that comes to mind. But there was some good eye candy and a couple badass moments. Thanks to that the film felt very atmospheric and fun to watch. Just kinda fails on the sci-fi department.
Old 2012-06-14, 13:35   Link #72
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
On the one hand, it's cool that the Alien universe just got expanded, with obvious openings for further exploration of the Engineers plot line. On the other hand, the movie just felt pedestrian from beginning to end. There was plenty of eye candy, in the form of shiny gadgetry and a statuesque Charlize Theron, but the film never managed to generate an iota of dramatic tension, just a lot of overblown angst.
I'd really argue against that point. What exactly has Ridley Scott tangibly added to the Alien universe with this film? This film doesn't have any iconic monsters, it doesn't have any iconic scare moments. When you think about it, everything is just an awkward regurgitation of what we've seen in previous Alien movies. All the movie does is tease you that you MIGHT get answers to the questions that were raised before you even stepped into the theater...in the next movie.

Wanna know what this makes this movie? A two hour commercial.

edit: THIS was an interesting read.

5 ways to improve Prometheus.

VERY interesting read.
Spoiler for the article: SPOILERS:

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-06-14 at 14:43.
Old 2012-06-14, 16:22   Link #73
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Spoiler for Think about it:
Spoiler for spoiler:
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 16:41   Link #74
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler for spoiler:
If Ridley Scott thinks that, he's one narcissistic son of a bitch.
Old 2012-06-14, 17:07   Link #75
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Perhaps it is to show us the error of our ways by putting the religious types in such a light?

It would fit with today's views on religion and politics (if what I'm reading is correct).
Old 2012-06-14, 17:25   Link #76
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Perhaps it is to show us the error of our ways by putting the religious types in such a light?

It would fit with today's views on religion and politics (if what I'm reading is correct).
If that was the case, then Shaw shouldn't have her stupid worldview defended so readily by the narrative.

Also, another thought. You all remember the iconic Chest Burster scene in Alien?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I wonder how Ridley scott would handle this timeless scene in a movie today!

Spoiler for If this scene was hypothetically in Prometheus...:
Old 2012-06-14, 17:32   Link #77
james0246

^To be fair, the creature in the Med bay was assumed to be dead after Elizabeth ran the decontamination procedure. That doesn't explain the other crazy shit the characters seem to do or forget about, but in this one instance I felt the film provided enough info for the character to assume an appropriate response.
Old 2012-06-14, 17:37   Link #78
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^To be fair, the creature in the Med bay was assumed to be dead after Elizabeth ran the decontamination procedure.
Because we always use nerve gas rated for killing macro organisms to kill bacteria on the auto doc that we brought along to use on the frail old man whose probably a few days from death.

Spoiler for spoiler:

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-06-14 at 17:48.
Old 2012-06-14, 19:42   Link #79
james0246

Quote:
Because we always use nerve gas rated for killing macro organisms to kill bacteria on the auto doc that we brought along to use on the frail old man whose probably a few days from death.
Actually, I do not know that. In fact, I know nothing about the technology or the organism (decontamination procedures/devices are given almost magical abilities in film, just look at any number of movies about outbreaks/pandemics). Consequently, I, and I assume most of the audience, am more than willing to accept that Elizabeth thought the creature was dead (obviously I (we) knew it was going to come back, but I did not know this because of any scientific explanation, I simply used horror movie logic to determine that the creature would come back).

There are plenty of plot holes, annoyances and discrepancies in the film, but I do not consider this particular scene to be one of those moments, if only because it is a very obvious horror movie moment (a quite wonderful one at that) with very obvious horror movie logic.
Old 2012-06-14, 23:02   Link #80
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
There are plenty of plot holes, annoyances and discrepancies in the film, but I do not consider this particular scene to be one of those moments, if only because it is a very obvious horror movie moment (a quite wonderful one at that) with very obvious horror movie logic.
Spoiler:
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote