Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-05-15, 15:28   Link #461
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Var View Post
The problem arises in using the sakuradite as her trigger, which is what she was doing. It is an unstable explosive, therein cannot be used as a trigger for a little-boyesc atomic bomb. Hence why I said she made an an incomplete fat man, since the sakuradite's explosion is quite powerful and uncontrollable. Even with Little Boy being simpler, the trigger mechanism and the U-235 compartment are also very special in design and require special machinery to make the actual chain reaction possible. So while it is simpler, in relative terms, its really no simpler than the fat man to anyone who's never seen an atomic bomb before.
My main point here, is that a little boy is precisely the first type that would be imagined by somebody having enriched uranium and explosives, the concept being simpler.

Quote:
Lithium? First I've heard of that, seeing as how the most effective fusion reaction occurs from Hydrogen isotopes. There are also other problems with just listing theoreticals, laser technology cannot and probably will not for a good many years be able to make feasible helium or higher fusion reactions. They are heavier molecules and therein require more energy put in for less to come out. This is the main reasons suns die, as they go from helium to carbon fusion, they begin entering endothermic fusin reactions. Hydrogen has always been and will always be the best source for fusion power.
I was talking about Lithium and Helium as they are mentionned in all the lists of nuclear fusion reaction I have encountered so far. And for 3He, the advantage of the reaction isn't energetic on a theorical point of view, but unlike the other reactions involving only 2H and 3H, it doesn't produce radioactive byproducts, the reaction producing protons and not neutrons.

Quote:
Tokomaks emplore the use of high-powered short pulse lasers to generate their fields and to also heat the fusion plasma contained within. The only method that does not require lasers is the bomb method, which doesn't actually do all that much fusion and is grotesquely innefficient.

Efficiency wise:
1.) Peta-Watt Fast Ignition Pin-Point Laser Fusion.
2.) Tokomak.
100.) Nuclear Fission Driven.
Laser is not the only way explored in modern research to produce plasma efficiently: radioelectric waves such as microwaves are used in Tokamaks and VASIMR engines (but that's outside the field of fusion ).

Quote:
There is enough antimatter available on our planet to light a light bulb for less than a second. You'd be able to fire off... three missles. Also, who would want to miniaturize Hydrogen Bombs? Its the fission reaction which does the brunt of the destruction. With the fusion simply cleaning up everything else.

Also, returning this to the point, the fission trigger again requires plutonium.

Sakuradite, based on how it explodes, would be aweful for a trigger. The little boy trigger mechanism is very delicate. Its pin point precision to start the nuclear reaction in the U-235 tip. Sakuradite is anything but pin-poin when exploding.
My comparison of antimatter and sakuradite is that both are very powerfull explosives altough highly unstables, and CG being an anime, there's a small step to making sakuradite into a bomb trigger.
JMvS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 15:36   Link #462
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
My main point here, is that a little boy is precisely the first type that would be imagined by somebody having enriched uranium and explosives, the concept being simpler.
I understood that, but my point is sakuradite doesn't appear to work as what would be neccessary for a U-235 only reaction. As such, I see it as a more feasible trigger for a plutonium core, implosion reaction.

Quote:
I was talking about Lithium and Helium as they are mentionned in all the lists of nuclear fusion reaction I have encountered so far. And for 3He, the advantage of the reaction isn't energetic on a theorical point of view, but unlike the other reactions involving only 2H and 3H, it doesn't produce radioactive byproducts, the reaction producing protons and not neutrons.
Ahh, I understand where you're going with this. It is true that 3He will not produce a radioactive nuetrons, but the energy loss is, in my opinion, not worth it the trade off since the energetic nuetron released isn't exactly threatening if handled correctly. And, my point still stands that such a reaction will remain a dream until 2H and 3H fusion are mastered, they are 'simpler', for lack of a better word, and are what we are testing our lasers on atm. Once we surpass the break-even point for Hydrogen fusion then we can start talking about 3He fusion.

Quote:
Laser is not the only way explored in modern research to produce plasma efficiently: radioelectric waves such as microwaves are used in Tokamaks and VASIMR engines (but that's outside the field of fusion ).
Last I read, Lasers were the most effective way to super-heat the plasma. This going beyond the point that Fast Ignition Fusion is far superior to Tokamak reactions. (Personal opinion )

Quote:
My comparison of antimatter and sakuradite is that both are very powerfull explosives altough highly unstables, and CG being an anime, there's a small step to making sakuradite into a bomb trigger.
I still don't understand your comparison of antimatter to sakuradite. You're comapring a form of matter to a superconductor/unstable compound. Antimatter isn't unstable, it just reacts poorly when it contacts matter.
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 15:59   Link #463
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Back to CG technological speculations, but still on the field of nuclear energy.

So far, I've been thinking that energy generation research rather than nukes would a more applicable and less hazardous thing Schneizel would be funding.

During R1, it was emphasized that the KMF, especially the 7th generations ones, with all their power-guzzling gadgets, were prone to quickly run out of power: Lancelot in Kyushu, Gawain during the Black Rebellion. And it still seems to be the case in R2, as in Turn 6 Guren had most of his resources depleted by the end of the episode.

If you add the dialogue between Millay and Suzaku during Turn 5 about Nina: of her working on completing Ganymedes, a generator-less KMF built by her grandfather (Albert?) Einstein.

All of this scream for a future Gundam...erm KMF, with a nuclear generator to power all it's new gadgets.

Now if we reconsider the matter of fusion, we know they have a super efficient supraconductor (Sakuradite), quite a nice mastery of magnetic and force fields (all their guns are railguns, MASER shields, etc...), and high energy radiation seems to be at least applied to weaponry by one faction (Radiation Wave); so if we add all of this, a fusion drive may be not so far in the future.
Old 2008-05-15, 16:03   Link #464
Var
Banned

Quote:
Now if we reconsider the matter of fusion, we know they have a super efficient supraconductor (Sakuradite), quite a nice mastery of magnetic and force fields (all their guns are railguns, MASER shields, etc...), and high energy radiation seems to be at least applied to weaponry by one faction (Radiation Wave); so if we add all of this, a fusion drive may be not so far in the future.
Wouldn't a fission drive be better for the faster yield of energy? From a military stand point, fission's more 'instant' energy is probably better than fusion. Unless they want to intergrate every KMF with very large capacitors... at which point all you'd have to do is shoot them there.
Old 2008-05-15, 16:04   Link #465
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Hmm, that could potentially be possible, though I think Britannia would be the most likely to first have a KMF with such a thing. I wonder how and if Lelouch could get such a thing if it happened.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 16:06   Link #466
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Hmm, that could potentially be possible, though I think Britannia would be the most likely to first have a KMF with such a thing. I wonder how and if Lelouch could get such a thing if it happened.
I don't think such things will be happening within Lelouch's Rebellion's lifetime.
Old 2008-05-15, 16:13   Link #467
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Yeah, we may be thinking too much about all these advances since everything we've seen so far was likely in development for years.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 2008-05-15, 16:18   Link #468
JMvS
Rawrrr!

But still, even if not fusion but fission powered, I think there are like 50% chances that by the end of the show Lelouch is gonna highjack a KMF with a nuclear drive and a lot of shiny gadgets from Nina's lab.

The other 50% odds being that her work is geared toward nukes, but I don't like this outcome...
Old 2008-05-15, 16:30   Link #469
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

I don't know, another mech hijacking? Once is okay, but I'd rather they not pull the same thing twice.

Nukes aren't good for anyone.

Old 2008-05-15, 16:33   Link #470
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
The other 50% odds being that her work is geared toward nukes, but I don't like this outcome...
Quote:
Nukes aren't good for anyone.
I want nukes, but in the hands of some other group besides Britannia and OoBK.

And I want them used on a military formation (like an entire fleet).
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 16:36   Link #471
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
I want nukes, but in the hands of some other group besides Britannia and OoBK.

And I want them used on a military formation (like an entire fleet).
Well I don't think the outcome of this show is geared toward this kind of Ragnarok...or so I hope!
Old 2008-05-15, 16:43   Link #472
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Well I don't think the outcome of this show is geared toward this kind of Ragnarok...or so I hope!
Why would it be a Ragnarok? Nukes are just another kind of weapon.

That is, unless you unleash a few thousand on a large country.
Old 2008-05-15, 16:49   Link #473
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Why would it be a Ragnarok? Nukes are just another kind of weapon.

That is, unless you unleash a few thousand on a large country.
Well it appeared you were talking about an entire fleet of nuke...so the outcome for that would be most likely world anihilation...
Old 2008-05-15, 16:52   Link #474
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Well it appeared you were talking about an entire fleet of nuke...so the outcome for that would be most likely world anihilation...
I was talking about taking out an entire fleet of SHIPS (like the Pacific Fleet of Britannia).
Old 2008-05-15, 17:05   Link #475
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

All the info about Ragnarok doesn't seem to be referring to it as an event. In any case, I'd rather we not have the whole world get nuked in the end.

Old 2008-05-15, 17:07   Link #476
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
In any case, I'd rather we not have the whole world get nuked in the end.
Agreed - no nuclear warfare in CG, please >_<.
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 17:08   Link #477
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Yeah, though for all we know something amazing could happen to make everything right like the Gods interfering or something.

Old 2008-05-15, 17:33   Link #478
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Yeah, though for all we know something amazing could happen to make everything right like the Gods interfering or something.
That might go a bit overboard. If they first destroy the world in the end (sorta), but it's restored by some thrown-in DEM event, then I'm seriously going to lol . I suppose it might fit though, since Ragnarok (as the original legend/tale/story, that's it) is partly about the old world being destroyed and a new world rising from the ashes of it.
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 17:34   Link #479
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Well, these Gods need to do something in the end or they aren't worth saving from V.V.. The whole Ragnarok thing here seem more of a name for a thing than an event though.

Old 2008-05-15, 17:37   Link #480
KrimzonStriker

Anyone get Loki vibes from V.V a little bit? >_>

Tags
mecha