AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-03-04, 17:37   Link #1
sangofe

Most stable timing program with lead-in-out + import keyframes function?

Hey.
Sabbu would've been my clear #1 if it wasn't for all the crashes it's had
(must've been at least 50 times on an ep now, and lately it's crashed every second line).
Basicly, what I'd need, is a program simular to Sabbu, but stable.
If you know any, don't hesitate to post suggestions!

By the way...
The error I got in sabbu was:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6...message4xd.jpg

Hope anyone can give me good tip on either what to do with Sabbu, or wich other programs to get!

*Edited link for error message that should work*

Last edited by sangofe; 2006-03-05 at 02:42.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 17:43   Link #2
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

The obvious suggestion would be Aegisub. http://aegisub.cellosoft.com
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 17:52   Link #3
Draders
... :D

I'd recomend audio timing in medusa and scenetiming in aegisub, as aegisubs audio timing it wack.
Draders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 17:55   Link #4
xat
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff
The obvious suggestion would be Aegisub. http://aegisub.cellosoft.com
I also recommend this. Ideal for timing, typesetting, and oodles of more ftw-like stuff.
xat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 18:02   Link #5
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draders
I'd recomend audio timing in medusa and scenetiming in aegisub, as aegisubs audio timing it wack.
Wack how? There's a bug in 1.09 (fixed in the 1.10 prerelease) that makes it crash if loading audio from video, but other than that, I don't have any serious problems with it...
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-03-04, 18:37   Link #6
iluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe
Hey.
Sabbu would've been my clear #1 if it wasn't for all the crashes it's had
(must've been at least 50 times on an ep now, and lately it's crashed every second line).
Basicly, what I'd need, is a program simular to Sabbu, but stable.
If you know any, don't hesitate to post suggestions!

By the way...
The error I got in sabbu was:
http://d38.yousendit.com/F/3GX859HXI...%20message.JPG

Hope anyone can give me good tip on either what to do with Sabbu, or wich other programs to get!
What version of Sabbu are you using? The last full release (0.3.0) had some bad crashing bugs when using key frames. Current betas, which you can get from the Sabbu channel, fix that though (best is currently 0.3.1 beta9). The 0.3.1 betas have been rock solid for me since 0.3.1 beta 4. If you’re using a beta already, try asking in the channel to see if the problem can be solved.

Quote:
Wack how? There's a bug in 1.09 (fixed in the 1.10 prerelease) that makes it crash if loading audio from video, but other than that, I don't have any serious problems with it...
Last I checked it didn’t even have buttons/keys to move the markers. I remember there being some other interface quirks as well. Also its RAM usage is huge, which is a big problem for some people. I’ve heard aegisub is very nice for typesetting, but it’s seriously lacking for timing imho.
iluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 19:00   Link #7
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

AegiSub splits the time inbetween a gap if you do those. Would not recommend fixing gaps with it until they fix that~
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 19:17   Link #8
el
Slave to the D:

/me recommends using medusa to time, then using medusa's "shift times" function to manually add lead in and lead out time, then to manually go through it, line-by-line in vdub to get the lines how you wish...

... or what koda says D:
el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 19:45   Link #9
nsstrunks
The Dot

Voice timing in Medusa, Scene timing in either Aegisub or VirtualDub :X
nsstrunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 21:05   Link #10
TheFluff

Aegisub (when not in SSA mode) is more or less identical to Medusa when it comes to timing, so why use Medusa instead? Aegisub has other attractive features like Unicode support and keyframe display on audio...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluid
Last I checked it didn’t even have buttons/keys to move the markers.
Uh, you mean like a keyboard hotkey for moving the line start/end markers back and forth? It does, but only in karaoke mode, which is the only place it makes sense (IMHO) - everywhere else you'd just do it with the mouse. Also, every release of Aegisub so far has had rather major changes, so it might be worth it to check it out again.

Personally I use Aegisub to time at least one episode every week, and I like it a lot. I haven't tried Sabbu much though, so I can't really say anything about how good it is when compared to Aegisub, but I REALLY think that Aegisub beats Medusa by miles.

Old 2006-03-04, 21:09   Link #11
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Substation Alpha 4.08, adjust titles using Notepad.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 21:12   Link #12
el
Slave to the D:

. . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by el; 2006-03-04 at 21:20. Reason: Point moot.
el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 21:39   Link #13
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

My motto is "if it works, no need to fix it" and SSA is the easiest program I've seen that let's me time Otome in a reasonable amount of time.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 21:39   Link #14
icealchemist
troll4hire
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to icealchemist Send a message via MSN to icealchemist
Hey Fluff just plz stfu. NO ONE CARES FOR YOUR BIASED FLAMES/OPINIONS. it seems that very project you are involved in, you are on some quest to prove its the only thing worth while, while everything else is a huge pos.
icealchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 21:52   Link #15
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart
My motto is "if it works, no need to fix it" and SSA is the easiest program I've seen that let's me time Otome in a reasonable amount of time.
I think he was referring to my claim that Aegisub is like Medusa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icealchemist
Hey Fluff just plz stfu. NO ONE CARES FOR YOUR BIASED FLAMES/OPINIONS. it seems that every project you are involved in, you are on some quest to prove its the only thing worth while, while everything else is a huge pos.
Hey icealchemist, always nice talking to you. Your point is noted (you ARE correct, to some degree, and I can only apologize for that), but it also might be worth noting that I didn't say "Medusa sucks ass". I said "I think Aegisub is better than Medusa and don't have any opinion on Sabbu" - if you don't like me stating that opinion, you can just ignore it (or tell me to STFU, which also works, I guess...). I'd also like to know where in THIS thread I flamed (I know I'm certainly not innocent in other threads, some of which I should probably apologize for).

Old 2006-03-04, 22:16   Link #16
ArchMageZeratuL
Aegisub dev
*IT Support

Quote:
Last I checked it didn’t even have buttons/keys to move the markers. I remember there being some other interface quirks as well.
Which buttons would those be? It implements every hotkey in SSA, and the behavior of many of those is customizeable... it didn't before, though, so maybe you've tried a very old version?

Quote:
Also its RAM usage is huge, which is a big problem for some people. I’ve heard aegisub is very nice for typesetting, but it’s seriously lacking for timing imho.
RAM usage was dropped by as much as 10x for 1.10 (measured with a 9.2 MB karaoke file), so now it uses even less than the other programs (I didn't compare to SSA, though, and RAM usage increases with undo, but that can be disabled in config.dat)... as for audio RAM usage, you can always drop it to zero by setting " "audio cache" to "2" in config.dat.

If you have any other issues, do not hesitate to post, as we can only attempt to fix and/or modify them if we're aware that people are bothered by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachrome
AegiSub splits the time inbetween a gap if you do those. Would not recommend fixing gaps with it until they fix that~
Indeed, that has been changed in 1.10 pre-release, though.
ArchMageZeratuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 22:19   Link #17
icealchemist
troll4hire
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to icealchemist Send a message via MSN to icealchemist
Quote:
The obvious suggestion would be Aegisub.
I said biased flames / opinions. There was no reason why to use it, just "THIS ONE IS THE BEST." Even though there are much better timing programs, this one [Aegisub] is good for typesetting.
icealchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 22:35   Link #18
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Truthfully. this is what I use:

Sabbu 3.1 beta 10 for audio-timing and fine timing (done on the fly during initial pass using keyframes)

Medusa for karaoke timing (mainly because I haven't figured out Aegissub yet... I'll try it soon)

Aegissub for timing postprocessing if timing was done by someone else who didn't fine time properly, or when I want to add lead-in/out. Also used for sign typesetting.

I use sabbu because it's the fastest one for me to do basic timing, medusa because it's the best karaoke timing (although aegis might be better, like I said, I haven't tried it yet).

None of these programs are particularly unstable. Just get the latest beta of sabbu and it's solid as a rock.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 02:33   Link #19
sangofe

Quote:
What version of Sabbu are you using? The last full release (0.3.0) had some bad crashing bugs when using key frames. Current betas, which you can get from the Sabbu channel, fix that though (best is currently 0.3.1 beta9). The 0.3.1 betas have been rock solid for me since 0.3.1 beta 4. If you’re using a beta already, try asking in the channel to see if the problem can be solved.
Thank you for this information.
Where is the Sabbu channel?
Edit: Never mind, found it, it's #sabbu@irc.rizon.net
Also edited link for the error message.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 03:05   Link #20
CarrierZ
aka cz

Send a message via MSN to CarrierZ
Quote:
Personally I use Aegisub to time at least one episode every week, and I like it a lot. I haven't tried Sabbu much though, so I can't really say anything about how good it is when compared to Aegisub, but I REALLY think that Aegisub beats Medusa by miles.
I do also use Aegisub to time, roughtiming or finetiming, doesn't matter. It works perfectly, I tried to use sabbu before but like the other guy was pointing out - it crashed like hell. I probably time around 5-8 episodes / week, and with that Aegisub has crashed once, and it was when I were timing karaoke.

And what's the point of all these whining and flaming? Personally I think each program should just work perfectly. If you like SSA, use it. If you like Sabbu, use it. If you like Aegisub use it. That's it.

Discussing all those matters, it looks like you are kids. Honestly, think about it.
CarrierZ is offline   Reply With Quote