AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2016-08-10, 19:38   Link #2021
AB079
Banned

I don't want to be the bad guy here, but I really don't like the idea behind this new series with Coll (lawrence 2.0) and Myuri, seems like a remake of the entire original LN just to milk it even more.

Still if the new series maintains the essence of the original story then it can't go bad.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-10, 21:45   Link #2022
AP24

What if they decide to adapt the rest of the original LN series into anime to attract new readers. They could just adapt the most important volumes from Vol 6 to Vol 16. Vol 7, 11 & 13 are side story volumes and Vol 10 & 12 don't seem to be important since they are skipped in the manga. They can make 2-cours with the first cour covering Vol 6, 8 & 9 and the second cour covering Vol 14-16. The epilogue chapter in Vol 17 can be adapted into OVA.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-10, 21:46   Link #2023
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulelembo View Post

Coll decides to become cleric and thus leave Lawrence's shop. But Myuri hiddes in his baggages and follows him. New series will tell story of their travels.
Relationship between Coll and Myuri is described to be "siblings-like".
But the text there also makes a point to say that that relationship is starting to change, with Coll starting to see Myuri differently because of her coming to look like Holo, and Myuri "mastering a woman's arsenal like her mother and [doing something] to Coll." This series could be very much Spice and Wolf 2.0, if you know what I mean.
I'm just wondering how worried sick Lawrence and Holo will be when they realize Myuri is gone, though I can see Holo actually helping her........
Old 2016-08-10, 21:48   Link #2024
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
I don't want to be the bad guy here, but I really don't like the idea behind this new series with Coll (lawrence 2.0) and Myuri, seems like a remake of the entire original LN just to milk it even more.

Still if the new series maintains the essence of the original story then it can't go bad.
Nothing to do except see what happens then. ^^

And nothing wrong with using a formula that has been shown to work in and of itself. It is whether or no the formula is done well or not that is the issue ... at least for me.

And hey ... who knows what else could come about? Maybe more world building in the present, maybe more delving into events from the past, etc., etc.

I feel like the author is plenty skilled and could pull it off quite nicely, so for the moment I will stick with the "innocent until proven guilty" approach.
Old 2016-08-10, 21:53   Link #2025
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post
What if they decide to adapt the rest of the original LN series into anime to attract new readers. They could just adapt the most important volumes from Vol 6 to Vol 16. Vol 7, 11 & 13 are side story volumes and Vol 10 & 12 don't seem to be important since they are skipped in the manga. They can make 2-cours with the first cour covering Vol 6, 8 & 9 and the second cour covering Vol 14-16. The epilogue chapter in Vol 17 can be adapted into OVA.
The possibility to get another season of S&W is the same as Horizon getting season 3, or Index getting S3.... or another season of Mai-Hime...

As the fans of Kawakami said (me included) Just believe!

@Flower I agree on your post basically because the author deserves the credit, maybe we can see something at the same level but personally I don't really like when any author use the exact same formula again and that's my fear with this new LN.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-11, 18:09   Link #2026
Blueknight78

Quote:
Official site updated!

So there will be two new novels:

Spice and Wolf Volume 18: Spring Log (Cover on Left)
and
Spice And Wolf New Theory: Wolf and Parchment (Cover on Right)
Volume 18 will be compilation of currently released stories, that will tell "after story" for original novel series.
And New Theory will start completely new series.
Protagonists of new series will be Myuri and ........ Coll. Yes THAT Coll.
Here is their picture:

Coll decides to become cleric and thus leave Lawrence's shop. But Myuri hiddes in his baggages and follows him. New series will tell story of their travels.

Also previously posted picture in full quality:
omg, omg why we still don't have a third and fourth season lol and that desgines, she really look more like a "mini horo".

well one funny note, now really we have a "lolicon" since the mc must be around 20+ and she is like what 12??? or 14????, new male mc is really a lolicon .

now being serious what is the currently age of both??, how much he is more old than her?
Old 2016-08-29, 08:37   Link #2027
Sacredus

http://yenpress.com/2016/08/spice-an...-announcement/
Quote:
Yen Press is very excited to announce Isuna Hasekura, author of SPICE AND WOLF, will be
appearing at New York Comic Con! In honor of the Tenth Anniversary of SPICE AND WOLF, Yen Press is also thrilled to inform fans that we are producing a special, high-end, numbered collector’s omnibus to commemorate this special event! This very limited print run collector’s edition will gather all 17 original volumes of SPICE AND WOLF, in one beautifully lavish tome which comes out in
October. Please stay tuned for more exciting details.
Spoiler for example from YP Twitter:

Give me Spring Logs and new S&W series not some limited omnibus! It look great etc. but they should focus on new books. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
omg, omg why we still don't have a third and fourth season lol and that desgines, she really look more like a "mini horo".

well one funny note, now really we have a "lolicon" since the mc must be around 20+ and she is like what 12??? or 14????, new male mc is really a lolicon .

now being serious what is the currently age of both??, how much he is more old than her?
Quote:
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-29, 08:50   Link #2028
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I... want that omnibus.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-30, 01:52   Link #2029
sparhawk1610
Asura

Just pre-ordered that Anniversary edition, I hope that this novel is so good as people say : )
sparhawk1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-30, 03:17   Link #2030
BPD Renegade

*I haven't read the other posts on this thread or reviews for the series in case of spoilers, so apologies if this has been answered.

Honest opinion needed here guys. I read the first LN a while ago, and while I thought it was a decent read, it wasn't pressing enough to warrant an immediate purchase of the next volume. Now with Yen Press doing this, I'm considering buying the compilation edition coming out, but if I'm going to drop $150+tax on the collector's edition, I'd rather it be on something with reread value that I enjoy from start to finish. I've heard a lot of talk praising the series, but my opinions often don't mesh with those of the general public, so I'm going to need a bit more to work with.

My questions: Is the first volume indicative of how the rest of the series will go in terms of tone, characterization, and literary style? What is the reread value? Does it ever fall into the trap of having too much melodrama or clichés, or does it remain somewhat mature? Would someone who is not into anime or manga find value in reading it? Most importantly, does it ever devolve into generic, fanboy wet-dreams trash like some LNs? (There is an attractive, naked wolf-girl.) Because that would be an automatic dismissal.

In general, the non-manga titles on my shelves are actual novels -- mostly Classics, historical fiction, high fantasy, and such. Harry Potter and the first Spice and Wolf volume are pretty much the only exceptions. So with that info, do you guys think this would be something I'd want on my shelf?

PM or message is fine, and please avoid spoilers.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-30, 03:23   Link #2031
Breimn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
http://yenpress.com/2016/08/spice-an...-announcement/

Spoiler for example from YP Twitter:

Give me Spring Logs and new S&W series not some limited omnibus! It look great etc. but they should focus on new books. :/
Do want but no money
Breimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-30, 04:29   Link #2032
sparhawk1610
Asura

You can find it on Amazon.de now. So if someone who is from Europe don´t want wait so long for US delivery, go there. And yes, it is cheaper.

Last edited by sparhawk1610; 2016-08-30 at 04:45.
sparhawk1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-30, 16:27   Link #2033
BPD Renegade

It's up on Rightstuf now. As almost always, much cheaper than Amazon at $112.49 total. That's about 6.62/volume! Even less if anyone else has been saving a promo code.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-31, 08:07   Link #2034
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post

My questions: Is the first volume indicative of how the rest of the series will go in terms of tone, characterization, and literary style? What is the reread value? Does it ever fall into the trap of having too much melodrama or clichés, or does it remain somewhat mature? Would someone who is not into anime or manga find value in reading it? Most importantly, does it ever devolve into generic, fanboy wet-dreams trash like some LNs? (There is an attractive, naked wolf-girl.) Because that would be an automatic dismissal.

In general, the non-manga titles on my shelves are actual novels -- mostly Classics, historical fiction, high fantasy, and such. Harry Potter and the first Spice and Wolf volume are pretty much the only exceptions. So with that info, do you guys think this would be something I'd want on my shelf?

PM or message is fine, and please avoid spoilers.
Yes, first volume is definitely indicative enough, Craft and Horo run into various ploys and try make profit sometime financial sometime not so much. Craft doesn't become filthy rich harem lord or anything simililar either, so you don't have to worry about that.

I am no sure about rereading value though, I gradually buying that myself and I will most likely will read it again in future. That said unlike Hatamou or IntelVilla it's not something you could read every three months and have fun doing so.
Old 2016-09-10, 09:33   Link #2035
Wipe

Lolicon Priest haha
Wipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-19, 11:09   Link #2036
s07195
However,

Aww, cute picture of Col and Myuri snuggling. Poor Lawrence

I have nothing but excitement for the new books. Mainly because I am not only sold on the characters, but the worldview as well.
Old 2016-09-22, 08:59   Link #2037
lucasdeis

Spring log

what is spring log about and how does the new novel starts?
lucasdeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-22, 09:32   Link #2038
lucasdeis

Current state of them

Hello there!

I have a question! after we knew Holo isn't dead (yay)

She is indeed the wife of Lawrence and she lives with him in the bath restore right?

As i can see Their daughter lives with them but seems she will have an adventure with the new novel

And last question. when Lawrence dies, do you think Holo will find a new man for her or because the fact she has a daughter now is enough for her to not feel alone?
Fin de la conversación
lucasdeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-22, 11:25   Link #2039
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasdeis View Post
Hello there!

I have a question! after we knew Holo isn't dead (yay)

She is indeed the wife of Lawrence and she lives with him in the bath restore right?

As i can see Their daughter lives with them but seems she will have an adventure with the new novel

And last question. when Lawrence dies, do you think Holo will find a new man for her or because the fact she has a daughter now is enough for her to not feel alone?
Fin de la conversación
well to be honest if what holo said is really true, while laurence not was her first man he actually was the first one able to give her a children and this must be a big feat since she is alive for so many "decades or centures", this already show which for her find another suitable male human could really take a lot of more years and we really don't know how much of years she have left, cuz for what i understood while she can have a really long lifespan she is not really immortal and gonna die at one point even if her not age physically.
Old 2016-09-22, 11:50   Link #2040
Zefyris
図書館狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
well to be honest if what holo said is really true, while laurence not was her first man he actually was the first one able to give her a children and this must be a big feat since she is alive for so many "decades or centures", this already show which for her find another suitable male human could really take a lot of more years.

Well if we try to find other cases similar to Holo's case in other LNs to see what is required, let's see. Holo is kind of spirit of nature, a wolf that can take a human form, and has a beneficial influence on the nature around her as well. She did a child with a human and that wasn't easy.

Closest I can think off is Turenne from Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon. Queen of the werewolf and therefore a greater nature spirit (closest to godhood that a spirit can be) , able to take human form, beneficial influence on the forest she lives in, have a hard time getting a child with a human but managed to get one (Mitotsudaira).
Well, if that's anything close I'd say you can have a lot of respect for Lawrence .
What was required for Conde to successfully impregnate Turenne :
Spoiler for KyouHora vol 3-B IIRC:

Lawrence doesn't have the protection that Turenne gives to her partner, too~

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen