AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-11-02, 21:08   Link #321
Peanutbutter

If there's anything that mentioned about the production of the performance by the actual group, I'm interested to know.

As usual, sasuga Kyoani.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-02, 21:12   Link #322
Dharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingUranium View Post
One other thing, it was nice to hear from Azusa, and I'm not surprised Rikka isn't going to the Nationals (from a storytelling perspective), but I really hope we actually see her properly before the end of the season. So far we have a flashback, a phone call, and a mostly-out-of-frame shot; I'd like her (and Aoi, and Mamiko?) to visit Kumiko before the performance, or even go watch it.
Did you missed it? Rikka got silver! They were supposed to be good! There has to be something. Probably with Azusa.
Old 2016-11-02, 22:11   Link #323
larethian

Rikka has not gone to Nationals previously as well if I remember right.There were 3 strong schools who were regulars to the Nationals and Rikka wasn't one of them from this region, iirc. You can get gold at one level and bronze at the next level. It's nothing strange.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-02, 23:39   Link #324
night_sentinel

Wow! Good episode!

I was wondering how they would make playing the same songs for the competition work but they did! I don't have much to say except I really like it.

Also, kudos on Asuka making a genuine motivational speech! Though bewildering as heck, that is probably up there on things that I've never expected Asuka to do. Is there something wrong with her ? Or did she have character development when Kumiko isn't looking? ^^
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-02, 23:56   Link #325
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

Kyo-ani has done such a great job with this show in general and this episode in particular.

The subtle and realistic expressions and interactions of this large and unexceptional cast of characters strongly conveys the passion and intensity of these young people searching for meaning and trying to find themselves in their devotion to this project.

It draws me in so much that I felt the same gamut of emotions that they all did for this performance.

I worried and sweated pre-show right along with them.
I too saw the floating dots of focus during the playing.
I also dared not think that someone would mess up and ruin the dream (Please don't let it be me!).
I held my breath waiting with them for the announcement.
I cried with them at the result.

Kyo-ani made a great (and probably expensive) choice in going with the full performance, but the gamble worked (for me) completely.

The ED, being so similar to a K-ON ending really contrasts and compares the two shows. As popular as that one was, this one, to me, far exceeds the maturity and quality of that one. It feels like they stood on the shoulders of that show to reach new heights with this one.

Bravo!
Old 2016-11-03, 03:53   Link #326
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
You know Kumiko... if you ask someone who just won if they like competitions, of course they're probably going to say yes
I thought the same, the question felt a bit meaningless. On the matter I had a similar thought, about Reina stance about it. I mean, it's easy to be passionate if you are very talented as Reina is. Despite in Reina case, from her perspective it is perfectly legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Also, kudos on Asuka making a genuine motivational speech! Though bewildering as heck, that is probably up there on things that I've never expected Asuka to do. Is there something wrong with her ? Or did she have character development when Kumiko isn't looking? ^^
Really? that's something I'd expect by her. Btw, didn't she already give a speech in Season One too?
Also, her and the president dynamics has always been like that, the president is not very good as a president after all. I wonder if Asuka was the president the year before and given the events she refuted the role this time.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-03, 04:20   Link #327
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

If KA decided suddenly to finish the season here I wouldn't bat an eyelash as this would have been one of fhe best season finales I've seen in years.

Since this is just midseason I'll just say that this is one of the best episodes I've seen in years and one of the best KA has ever produced.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-03, 04:26   Link #328
Kamieichi

Crescent moon dance
Movie and S2 comparison
NicoNico
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-11-03, 04:57   Link #329
Bordix

Despite watching and listening to crescent moon dance like a billion times already, it was still nice to see the added animations and hearing the new rerecorded parts of it. Yes, they did reuse scenes from S1 but I honestly thought they would just skip it all together and jump into the Oboe solo and show how much Mizore improved. So good for them it just wont feel right if they rush it anways. Oh and then you have the occasional Shuuichi shots to remind the audience he is still a thing, I won't even be surprised if Kumiko forgot that he existed because she sure acts that way. Why still bother Kyoani?

Overall, it was an okay first half. I wasn't really invested on the Mizore drama but tid bits like Reina interacting with Yuuko, Kumiko to Mizore, and Yuuko being an absolute bro were the highlights of this arc for me.
Old 2016-11-03, 06:02   Link #330
Kazu-kun

Quote:

Also, kudos on Asuka making a genuine motivational speech!
It sounded genuine, but considering Asuka's character, I wouldn't assume it was actually genuine just yet.
Old 2016-11-03, 06:50   Link #331
Wandering Soul

I was worried that something would go wrong , but luckily everything went smoothly. That was a wonderful performance.
Old 2016-11-03, 06:51   Link #332
Sixth
Hu Tao

I don't know a jack shit about the music piece that they are playing in this episode, so I don't know whether it is actually a good piece or well played piece, but it is impressive that the anime didn't skip or fast-forward the entire play segment. And it was nice to have the results of the competition announced after the ending song. Thought that we need to wait for the next episode for the result. And silly Kumiko, please tell me which winner or champion that will hate competition, because I would like to see one with my own eyes.

It was kinda sad that Yuko was now completely erased from Mizore's brain. She doesn't care about Yuko anymore. Only Nozomi and more Nozomi. Sad reality.

Apparently, Kumiko had completely stopped talking with Shuichi now before the competition. Can't tell whether it was Kumiko's intention or Kyoani. As for Reina and Kumiko, they should just start dating now. They were clearly inseparable now. "I will play for you, Kumiko" just sealed this whole yuri deal.

The salute scenes at the train station were cute, and Asuka's motivation speech was amazing. The only question is whether it is her honest feeling or just a front to pleases the crowd.

The only thing that bothering me was Azusa. Why is the anime doesn't show her face as I am completely forgot who was she when she called Kumiko. Forced me to google it to find out who was she in the end.

Over all, episode 5 is great. Can't wait for episode 6. Maybe it is time to learn more about Asuka or Kumiko's sister issue?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-03, 06:54   Link #333
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It sounded genuine, but considering Asuka's character, I wouldn't assume it was actually genuine just yet.
I think it was pretty genuine, though I agree Asuka's shady. Asuka prioritizes music above everything, which is the real reason I suspect she declined to be club president, and not that the club was a mess.
As for what happened with Nozomi, I also suspect the real reason she rejected Nozomi was more personal. Nozomi prioritized a feud over music, and Asuka wasn't willing to respect or even forgive that.
Her speech was probably one of the closest genuine things we've heard from Asuka.
Old 2016-11-03, 07:02   Link #334
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth
It was kinda sad that Yuko was now completely erased from Mizore's brain. She doesn't care about Yuko anymore. Only Nozomi and more Nozomi. Sad reality.
It's not that they completely stop being friend you know, Yuuko just know that Mizore want to spend her time with Nozomi ,so she lets them stay together. At least she still has Kaori, Natsuki and that heart hair pin girls to hang out with for now.

BTW, Do you guys remember that what Yuuko said to Kaori was similar to what Kumiko said to Asuka in S1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth
The only thing that bothering me was Azusa. Why is the anime doesn't show her face as I am completely forgot who was she when she called Kumiko. Forced me to google it to find out who was she in the end.
We need to read Rikka spin-off novel or hope that it will get anime adaptation in the future in order to learn more about Azusa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya
Also, her and the president dynamics has always been like that, the president is not very good as a president after all. I wonder if Asuka was the president the year before and given the events she refuted the role this time.
This year is Asuka and Haruka's first and only year as president and vice-president as only the 3rd year member can be the band president/vice president. When deciding on next president and vice president, current third year members will select next president and vice president from the group of second year members by voting.

Haruka, while being incompetent, she at least takes her job seriously. I'm more wondering why Asuka become vice-president if she doesn't want to take the responsibility for being it.

Last edited by Marina2; 2016-11-03 at 07:22.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-03, 07:20   Link #335
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTerror View Post
I think it was pretty genuine [...] Her speech was probably one of the closest genuine things we've heard from Asuka.
Again, I think it's too early to tell.

The thing about Asuka is that we're just guessing her characterization, since we only get to see Asuka from Kumiko's point of view, and Asuka doesn't really talk about herself to Kumiko (compare to Mizore or Nozomi, who outright talked about themselves to Kumiko). Kumiko assumes what Asuka is really like, and we makes our own assumptions based on Kumiko's assumptions. It's a mess.

Besides Kumiko sucks at reading people. She thought that Reina hated her before they actually had a chance to talk, and Reina wasn't even mad at her, let alone hating her.

Nah, we'll be able to tell if Asuka is being genuine only after her character has been explored. That's probably what's coming next.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2016-11-03 at 07:33.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-03, 08:48   Link #336
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
That's just the usual Asuka though. We saw her character from others but from our own eyes as well.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-03, 08:49   Link #337
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 5:
I'm at the edge on my seat when watching this episode. But hey, Kitauji got into the nationals!

As always, kudos to KyoAni for the stunning animation!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-03, 09:02   Link #338
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
It's not that they completely stop being friend you know, Yuuko just know that Mizore want to spend her time with Nozomi ,so she lets them stay together. At least she still has Kaori, Natsuki and that heart hair pin girls to hang out with for now.
You are right about this but somehow I still get bothered by Mizore's treatment towards her.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-03, 11:26   Link #339
Arya

^ mmm, I'd be more dubious about Nozomi will to stay with Mizore. I mean, she completely forgot about her and now she is hanging out with her, but for how long? but well I dont' think they put much thought into that, they just wanted to give them a closure on an high note, but I agree it would be more meaningful to have her to be with Yuuko instead of Nozomi. Like to say she finally moved on. And for Yuuko herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
This year is Asuka and Haruka's first and only year as president and vice-president as only the 3rd year member can be the band president/vice president. When deciding on next president and vice president, current third year members will select next president and vice president from the group of second year members by voting.

Haruka, while being incompetent, she at least takes her job seriously. I'm more wondering why Asuka become vice-president if she doesn't want to take the responsibility for being it.
Thanks for the clarification!

Since everything about Asuka has been leaving in the air I can only guess, and I'm not even sure what the vice president tasks are supposed to be. In any case the way I see it so far is that she is de facto the president, this episode made it pretty clear. She makes speeches, she also gets invested of the responsibilities like let in or leave out a member, but I'm not sure if those are her responsibilities to begin with.
From a certain perspective she has the rights, on paper, to act in a certain way. That if she asked to not have the responsibility but then still having to take it.
On the other hand I'm under the impression she acts like an observer who will intervene only if strictly necessary (see Mizore's oboe).
But in the end whatever the reason, her attitude is flawed.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-03, 11:38   Link #340
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
^ mmm, I'd be more dubious about Nozomi will to stay with Mizore. I mean, she completely forgot about her and now she is hanging out with her, but for how long? but well I dont' think they put much thought into that, they just wanted to give them a closure on an high note, but I agree it would be more meaningful to have her to be with Yuuko instead of Nozomi. Like to say she finally moved on
Mizore would need a whole new arc to grow enough to move on. This isn't what her arc was about.