Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-05-08, 11:02   Link #6281
selilychidori
Selily Chidori

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris23mk View Post
Actually, I've seen that subject being discussed a few years ago, on another forum I believe. It stems from the fact that Gauron was supposedly dying of pancreatic cancer, and some people believed said cancer was induced by extended use of the Lambda Driver. Since Sousuke also had to use it a lot, some fans feared the same fate would be in store for him. But the novels never explicitly state what caused Gauron's cancer, the only clue that the LD might have something to do with it is Gauron's specific desire for revenge against his former colleagues from Amalgam, and it's made pretty clear that, whatever his actual health problems were, his obsession with Sousuke was, in fact, a much more insidious disease.

A more probable alternative is that the drugs Amalgam gave to its pilots were the cause of the cancer. Some of the side-effects of said drugs were discussed in the novels, and they were indeed very unpleasant, but most were related to the psyche of the individual. I don't remember cancer being one of them. In any case, Sousuke never took them, so he should be safe. Poor kid already has enough problems as it is, what with those half-missing organs and all...
Gauron's cancer was called Sousuke, i dont think he had cancer, he was just blown to shit...

and its a FICTICIOUS world people, Sousuke miraculous survived what was an atomic bomb and technically should be dead. He didnt, he lived. its a fake world, lets forget about chemical reactions shall we? <_<...geez, he lived this long let him make passionate love to Kaname and make a Sousuke Jr without dying,...

~!@!@# *grumbles* T_T....
Old 2011-05-08, 12:02   Link #6282
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by selilychidori View Post
Gauron's cancer was called Sousuke, i dont think he had cancer, he was just blown to shit...
DVMC chapter 5

Quote:
If Mr. Iron-Gauron, hadn't been taken over with a cancer, he probably would have become Commander.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 12:24   Link #6283
selilychidori
Selily Chidori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
DVMC chapter 5
DVMC was after ITB...

So..what cancer? Sousuke blew him up in "Into the Blue", by december in DVMC he was already fish food..
Who ever said that was lied to lol..maybe it was a rumor to placate his real injuries...

If he had cancer am sure its not going to be related to LD or Sousuke but simply
because Karma is a bitch and he was an asshole ^_^...
Old 2011-05-08, 12:36   Link #6284
FeistyDreams

I believe Miles Teg was referencing DVMC and then quoting it, not pinpointing where you were pulling the 'blown to bits' part from. ^^

Gauron truly did have cancer, but it was since well before the start of the series. From the Japanese wiki, it says he had pancreatic cancer, and that was why he was as forceful as he was in his meetings with Sousuke. He didn't care about living or dying, just having fun and screwing with Sousuke's head as much as he could before he did finally get killed. Yes, the Lambda Driver did protect him in each of his 'final' moments due to a will to survive. But if it weren't for the fact that Sousuke is just so much fun for him to mess with, he probably would have let it be the end.
Old 2011-05-08, 13:08   Link #6285
cris23mk

Quote:
The cancer was indeed real. It gets mentioned in the novel "Into the Blue", after the fight at Berildaobu Island. This part didn't make it into the anime, but Kurama was there too. After Gauron was taken away, he comes out from his hiding place and he reflects on the situation. He refers to Gauron's "bad luck", and then there's this:

Spoiler for About Gauron's cancer:

There are some other minor references later in the book.

Spoiler for Gauron's suicide:

Keep in mind that at that time Sousuke was nowhere in sight, and the double-suicide thing was not on Gauron's to-do list yet.

There is also the fact that Mithril did do a medical examination on Gauron, and his tests came back clean. I'm sure they mainly checked to see if he was carrying any viruses, but I'm also pretty sure the cancer would have appeared in there in some way, even if only as an anomaly on the blood analysis sheets or something. But it's apparently never mentioned in their medical reports, and Sousuke definitely was surprised by the news in DVMC. (Even though he did notice at Berildaobu Island that Gauron looked "considerably thinner than had four months ago.")

As for the other members of Amalgam, it seems some of them knew about the cancer, like Kurama, so it could be implied that it was their doctors who found out. In the case of Harris from DVMC, I understand that there is a play on words in the original Japanese text that makes it ambiguous whether he was referring to the actual cancer or Gauron's growing attachment to Sousuke. (Since I do not speak Japanese, I kindly ask those who do to either confirm or deny this. I confess I am curious to know the truth.) The third Amalgam member who speaks to Sousuke about Gauron is Leonard, who only refers to Gauron's "affection" for the boy, and nothing else. Then there are the twins (especially the girl versions), where it could be implied that their despair over losing him could have something to do with the disease, though by that point it was moot anyway.

On the other hand, as I noted in my previous post, the cancer didn't do half as much damage to either Gauron himself or to Amalgam as much as Gauron's attachment for Sousuke did. Whether there was an actual disease or not, it really doesn't matter in the end. The feeling was there, it was quite frighteningly real, and it led to Gauron's ultimate betrayal.

Either way, the metaphor seems appropriate enough to me.

On a related note: do you guys think that this was the lever Leonard tried to use when he talked to Gauron about his plans about changing the time line? Something like, "you'll die anyway in this life, so join me and you can have everything you want in the other one?" We already know Gauron turned him down, so... hmm, you know, I really think that makes him even more of a badass than he was before.
cris23mk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 13:39   Link #6286
FeistyDreams

It was pointed out to me that the girl's bangs look an awful lot like Tessa's. Once someone mentioned Tessa as a possibility for being the girl's mother, I could see it. And it was shaping up to look like Tessa/Lemon, and Lemon's blond with blue eyes. Hmm... Interesting. Very curious to see who it turns out to be... ^^ I'm still thinking Mao/Kurz, mostly 'cause of the face structure/eye shape and the likes, but it'll be interesting to see if that is, indeed, the case.
Old 2011-05-08, 14:11   Link #6287
cris23mk

You're right about the resemblance, I thought about the girl being Tessa and Lemon's daughter too at first, since they were both blonds and had blue(ish) eyes. But her face reminded me too much of Mao, as well as her body posture and general air of self-confidence. Also, I think the hair can also resemble Kurz's, and not just in color...

But, as you say, we'll find out at some point. ^.^
cris23mk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 07:14   Link #6288
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Anyone have an idea about where I could get the novels in English? I've tried Amazon (no way am I paying $100-$200), Angus & Robertson (don't have) and Borders (sold out) and I don't really trust E-Bay.

Is it possible to order the English versions off of the German TokyoPop website? (cause I can't speak/write German and their search engine kicked me in the crotch because of it.)
Old 2011-05-09, 10:22   Link #6289
seiichi-san

Send a message via MSN to seiichi-san
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Anyone have an idea about where I could get the novels in English? I've tried Amazon (no way am I paying $100-$200), Angus & Robertson (don't have) and Borders (sold out) and I don't really trust E-Bay.

Is it possible to order the English versions off of the German TokyoPop website? (cause I can't speak/write German and their search engine kicked me in the crotch because of it.)

I bought the first three novels through Borders. I haven't got them yet because they are on back order. They cost me $10 a piece. It is a pain to have to wait for them, but it will be worth the wait. So check Borders they might have some. Oh I ordered them books off the website.
seiichi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 10:28   Link #6290
Cenit
Linkinball Z

Send a message via ICQ to Cenit Send a message via AIM to Cenit Send a message via MSN to Cenit
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiichi-san View Post
I bought the first three novels through Borders. I haven't got them yet because they are on back order. They cost me $10 a piece. It is a pain to have to wait for them, but it will be worth the wait. So check Borders they might have some. Oh I ordered them books off the website.
You know that if something isn't in the print anymore and not available in stores there is no way, new copys magical appear. Please tell us once you received something cause i kind of doubt it...
Cenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 11:07   Link #6291
seiichi-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenit View Post
You know that if something isn't in the print anymore and not available in stores there is no way, new copys magical appear. Please tell us once you received something cause i kind of doubt it...
I will let you all know once I receive them. I just check their website again and they are still letting people order them online.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...ype=0&simple=1
Old 2011-05-09, 20:42   Link #6292
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Well been far too long since I checked up on this series.
I was keeping with it pretty well few years ago but then lost track and never managed to get back into it but I really want to know how things went, so anyone know of a place where I can read a summary of events, anything after the boat hijacking would be good as that is the part I remember best from before.

I'm also trying to get ahold of the novels but thats been very, very, very, very hard.
In fact it's bloody stupid.
Old 2011-05-09, 21:18   Link #6293
biscotti
Pokemon Master

Send a message via AIM to biscotti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I was keeping with it pretty well few years ago but then lost track and never managed to get back into it but I really want to know how things went, so anyone know of a place where I can read a summary of events, anything after the boat hijacking would be good as that is the part I remember best from before.

I'm also trying to get ahold of the novels but thats been very, very, very, very hard.
You can get Volume 4 for 10 dollars with free shipping on Amazon. All other volumes aren't being sold by Amazon anymore and people are selling them for hundreds of dollars. It's ridiculous. Justmanga.com is selling the older volumes for under 10 dollars but they're on backorder. Borders is also selling them for a decent price but they're on backorder as well...

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Metal-Pan.../dp/1427802467

http://www.justmanga.com/search.cfm?...novel&type=All

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...ype=0&simple=1

You could also try going to an Anime Convention...they sell a bunch of manga. I might look for them when I go to AnimeNEXT

B/W Friend Code: 4169 3825 2087
Follow me on Tumblr
biscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 21:47   Link #6294
seiichi-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post

Oh my!!! That is damned expensive. Sheesh no wonder you are frustrated. I wonder how much it would cost to have the books shipped from the US? Bleh... nevermind I bet it would be a ton of cash.
Old 2011-05-09, 21:51   Link #6295
seiichi-san

You know it might never happen, but I'm Yen press or some publishing company will pickup the rights to publish the remaining novels into English. I know, I know I like to dream big.
Old 2011-05-10, 05:30   Link #6296
<KS11>

I'm quite surprised about the design of the characters in the spin-off...

They boy seem to be a mix of Kaname and Sousuke, the girl of Mao and Kurz...

LOL

Anyway, a 4th season is just a dream i fear..
<KS11> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 11:58   Link #6297
SkoolRumble4Ya

I don't believe she is Tessa and Lemon child because I never read anything about them hooking up. They do not make a good couple.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 19:00   Link #6298
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Wow, I thought I was getting screwed over when I was looking at the US Amazon, that UK one is nuts! I seriously hate price gougers, it disgusts me that sort of greed.

Interesting that the US Borders still has them as being able to be ordered. The AU website won't let you do it, the purchase button has disappeared. Although you can get a second hand version of one of the books I think. I'd be tempted to order from the US borders (I don't mind ordering from overseas, heck I'd happily pay ~$100-120 for all 4 books) and wait and see what happens but I doubt they can magically pull a book out of the ether if its on backorder.

I'm almost sure that the German website would have to sell the English versions as well wouldn't they? Surely they wouldn't expect Europeans to have to order from the US when they have a perfectly good distributor smack bang in the middle of everything.

Hell I'd be happy if an e-book was available at this stage.

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2011-05-10 at 19:16.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 15:27   Link #6299
Kaoru842

This is really good news, waiting for more!
Kaoru842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 15:38   Link #6300
Kaoru842

I am having trouble liking how the new novel is drawn though, not that good compared before
Kaoru842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels, mecha, shounen