AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

View Poll Results: Ore no Imouto - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 15 14.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 10.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 19.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 14.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 14.15%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 10 9.43%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 2.83%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 3.77%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 3.77%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 7.55%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-23, 19:40   Link #181
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
The anime says she does all these things, but we get no indication of it. There's never any hint of scheduling conflict and the long hours needed to be a top student, model, successful athlete in addition to having a hobby that takes up a long period of time. But more than time--I'm sure there's someone in the world that's done all those things at once--it's about how these so-called disparate aspects of Kirino's character are just window-dressing shortcuts instead of actual attributes.

This is what I mean by a lack of awareness with Kirino.

For one, Kirino's brand of physical attractiveness allows itself certain liberties that a less attractive girl would be unable to partake in. One of these things is having a hobby that would be considered otherwise unsavory. The imoutocon thing is taking things a bit far, but liking cute anime in general is not the deathtoll the anime wants you to believe it is for someone of Kirino's popularity level.

Secondly, there is no crossover whatsoever in her life. She's a successful model that's appeared on many well known magazines, but this is kept completely separate from her debut as a teenage novelist? It seems much more realistic to me that the people around Kirino would channel that popularity into other aspects of her life. A successful model has an easier time getting a book contract than a complete unknown, for example.

Instead of modeling having a realistic impact on her life and time, it's used as a way to bolster Kirino's worth in the eyes of the viewer. And it's like that for everything about her. The anime wants us to believe that she "works hard" in every aspect of her life individually, when it makes more sense from what we've shown that her life is a mixture of passion and luck.
This show is little more then window dressing anyway, but I agree with you 100%.

Actually more than that.

Let's get married <3~

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2010-11-23, 20:58   Link #182
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
The anime says she does all these things, but we get no indication of it. There's never any hint of scheduling conflict and the long hours needed to be a top student, model, successful athlete in addition to having a hobby that takes up a long period of time. But more than time--I'm sure there's someone in the world that's done all those things at once--it's about how these so-called disparate aspects of Kirino's character are just window-dressing shortcuts instead of actual attributes.

This is what I mean by a lack of awareness with Kirino.

For one, Kirino's brand of physical attractiveness allows itself certain liberties that a less attractive girl would be unable to partake in. One of these things is having a hobby that would be considered otherwise unsavory. The imoutocon thing is taking things a bit far, but liking cute anime in general is not the deathtoll the anime wants you to believe it is for someone of Kirino's popularity level.

Secondly, there is no crossover whatsoever in her life. She's a successful model that's appeared on many well known magazines, but this is kept completely separate from her debut as a teenage novelist? It seems much more realistic to me that the people around Kirino would channel that popularity into other aspects of her life. A successful model has an easier time getting a book contract than a complete unknown, for example.

Instead of modeling having a realistic impact on her life and time, it's used as a way to bolster Kirino's worth in the eyes of the viewer. And it's like that for everything about her. The anime wants us to believe that she "works hard" in every aspect of her life individually, when it makes more sense from what we've shown that her life is a mixture of passion and luck.
False because her popularity with the novel is completely separate, she's an "unknown" author. The novels success is completely irrelevant to her modeling. Rewatch the episode when it was mentioned that people are wondering who this unknown middle school author is.
Old 2010-11-23, 21:17   Link #183
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST View Post
However, I'm not quite sure he's "paying ammends" to her or it's just guilt-driven, relentless.
Yeah, when I said "paying amends", I actually intended it in the guilt-driven sense. It's like he's trying to make up for something, and that's why he keeps helping her out even though, at least on the surface, he doesn't seem to get much out of it. I don't think it's something he's doing consciously, but by the same token (unlike a lot of viewers) I don't think he is necessarily expecting her to reciprocate.

As for the "I hate her" bit... I think the more sensible way of interpreting that line in context is more like "I hated the fact that she was so successful" or "She made me feel incompetent and I hated her for that"; it was a jealous statement, not an angry statement. He definitely doesn't hate her in the way one might hate "their enemy" or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST View Post
As for the cliffhanger, it makes me wonder if she's going to be put on a bus and they'll have to figure out what to do before then, to fix their relationship.
Yup, that's pretty much exactly what I think as well. Though the image I have in my head (I'm not a Troper, so I don't know which one this would be) is more like the old airplane trope (at the end of a lot of romance movies and romantic comedies). Rather than figuring it out before, I think he'll have to chase after her.

And yes, I'm glad to see you're back to posting again.
Old 2010-11-23, 21:26   Link #184
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I don't get it, this anime is sending so many mixed signal....

I will admit that it bugged me a lots seeing how after previous episode, Oreimo (anime) was treated by many as God, even when i found it's nonsense and illogical in many degrees. But then after watching this episode and thinking that "maybe the characters and storyline are not so bad after all", it surprised me how the majority of us speak like this is an absolute failure...

Similar to Kyousuke and Kirino relationship. Last episode it bugged me out how no one mentioned that their relationship suddenly became unnecessarily close (Kirino behave like a brat while Kyousuke failed to knock some sense onto her). And then after this episode, i thought Kyousuke finally treated his sister in the right ( or not so over-dramatic) way. But then the majority of us complain about how he should let Kirino doomed with the anime adaptation

Weird , isn't it?

Btw, can someone send me a message summarising about what was cut out during the adaptation of this episode?

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-11-23 at 21:58.
Old 2010-11-23, 21:50   Link #185
Bri

Wonder if the animation team at AIC kind of uses this episode to poke fun at themselves for having to do popular manga and LN adaptation like Imouto instead of making original anime. Maybe that Super robot hommage was some ones pet project that was shot down . Still, it would be rather insulting to Tsukasa Fushimi if they mean it that way.
Old 2010-11-23, 22:36   Link #186
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
this episode was seriously annoying.
she's one in a thousand fan writers who gets their crappy novel made into an anime, and she can't handle a little artistic license.
brothers emotional speech aside, changing the lead into a male character probably would increase the ratings, and she wouldn't be complaining when royalties start pouring in.

ok, now having said all that...I do understand her feelings. I often get incensed when an amazing book is ruined by some directer somewhere.

loved that scene somewhere around 20 min where brother is begging on his knees, but it looks like he's looking up goth girls skirt.

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
Old 2010-11-23, 22:45   Link #187
GundamZZ
残念美人

The story coming from the writer whose novel R.O.D. animated in OVA and TV is not convincing at all.
Old 2010-11-23, 23:30   Link #188
Falkor

^ oh I was thinking the same thing; no wonder why he looked so familiar. The person on the left (Hideyuki KURATA) is credited for the series composition and screenplay of this show. now, who might be the outspoken person next to him?... Yamakan, maybe. :P
Old 2010-11-24, 00:05   Link #189
Cream

Dissapointed , Kirino is always acting like a complete bitch. I really hate her sometimes , I'm not sure if she just doesn't notice that he has been doing a lot for her or maybe its because he didn't do shit for her until finding out her secret. But its really getting on my nerve.
I felt really weird and embarrassed (why?) when he started begging , very bad scene for me but i guess it got through !
Kuroneko really stood out to me in this episode. Much respect for giving her full and complete honest opinion. love you ! : D .
Old 2010-11-24, 00:22   Link #190
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

I'd say Kuroneko is on par with Keima Katsuragi for best anime heroine/hero this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
False because her popularity with the novel is completely separate, she's an "unknown" author. The novels success is completely irrelevant to her modeling. Rewatch the episode when it was mentioned that people are wondering who this unknown middle school author is.
That might have been what was said. But that indicates that the middle school author was unknown because the novel wasn't marketed as having been authored by a certain successful teen model. It should have been part of the book's marketing strategy with the idea of capitalizing upon every bit of momentum it can gain, and there's every reason to believe that the author of a book having such a background can better propel the title towards success. So it's the writers' lapse in judgement that such a comment about Kirino was made.
Old 2010-11-24, 01:09   Link #191
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Dissapointed , Kirino is always acting like a complete bitch. I really hate her sometimes , I'm not sure if she just doesn't notice that he has been doing a lot for her or maybe its because he didn't do shit for her until finding out her secret. But its really getting on my nerve.
I felt really weird and embarrassed (why?) when he started begging , very bad scene for me but i guess it got through !
Kuroneko really stood out to me in this episode. Much respect for giving her full and complete honest opinion. love you ! : D .
Well, it will be good once this "final life-counseling" thing Kirino promised will probably end it all.
Old 2010-11-24, 02:30   Link #192
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Well, it will be good once this "final life-counseling" thing Kirino promised will probably end it all.
Since we are talking about that, is the next chapter's name really "there's no way my sister play eroge games like that" ?!?!

Are we crossing into 'sex education' border? Because if it's so, i need to stay away from people to watch it
I'm joking, they are not gonna cross the line that much, right? Right?
Old 2010-11-24, 02:48   Link #193
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Since we are talking about that, is the next chapter's name really "there's no way my sister play eroge games like that" ?!?!

Are we crossing into 'sex education' border? Because if it's so, i need to stay away from people to watch it
I'm joking, they are not gonna cross the line that much, right? Right?
The next episode really does seem to be named that... So the possibilities of it crossing that border are about 72% sure for my calculations of the title alone...
Old 2010-11-24, 07:47   Link #194
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Yup, that's pretty much exactly what I think as well. Though the image I have in my head (I'm not a Troper, so I don't know which one this would be) is more like the old airplane trope (at the end of a lot of romance movies and romantic comedies). Rather than figuring it out before, I think he'll have to chase after her.

And yes, I'm glad to see you're back to posting again.
Mm, that's also a possibility. I guess the important factor here is putting a time limit or some other sort of pressure on them to get things working.

And thanks for the welcome. I hadn't been watching a lot due to limited time, but this season I am, so that's mainly why I came back.
Old 2010-11-24, 10:31   Link #195
klare

Kuroneko again showed her sensitive side as well as she really care for her friend, at this point i like her more than Kirino

will next eps move into the route i expect it the series to be? i am guessing not so fast...
Old 2010-11-24, 12:17   Link #196
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
Also, what are the parents doing through all this? One day Kirino is gonna get some fat check in the mail and the dads gonna be like "wtf is this?". I find it hard to believe she can write a novel/get it turned into a t.v. show at the age of 14 or whatever without her parents knowing anything about it. Hell, is that even legal? You would think the studio would have to get consent from the parents or something, and I doubt her dad would be cool with this.
It would be most disturbing if you needed your parent's permit to have your novel turned into an anime, or even to write and have it published in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
The parents should have been sitting at the negotiating table at all times.
Absolutely not!
Her parents had *no* part whatsoever in the writing of the novel, so they have *no* right whatsoever to sit at the negotiating table!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
If Kyosuke asked Dad he certainly would have helped.
Most certainly not. Kyousuke's father regards him as a completely hopeless failure. Remember episode 3, where he calls him "You worthless son!". He just did the research on the article that one time because he hoped to prove how right the article is, and how "worthless" and even dangerous anime as a hobby is. To his dismay, the article turned out as being porrly written and researched, meaning a loss of face for him because had fully subscribe to the article's opinion about how worthless and dangerous anime is.

Thus, his father is the last one he can expect help from. First, he's not inclined to help Kyousuke because he regards him as worthless. Second, if the father helped him, he might incur another loss of face, which he certainly would want to avoid. Third, the father still regards anime as "worthless", so helping that Kirino's novel gets turned into an anime would be the very last thing he would want to do.
Old 2010-11-24, 12:52   Link #197
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
It would be most disturbing if you needed your parent's permit to have your novel turned into an anime, or even to write and have it published in the first place

Absolutely not!
Her parents had *no* part whatsoever in the writing of the novel, so they have *no* right whatsoever to sit at the negotiating table!

Why are Soconfused and Hypernova's statements disturbing and shocking you so much?

There's all sorts of laws and regulations that treat adults differently from 14 year olds. There's all sorts of things that 14 year olds are not legally allowed to do that adults are. These can vary from country to country (and even between different provinces or states within the same country), of course, but it's hardly rare or uncommon for the law to treat 14 year olds differently from adults.

Personally, I don't see a problem with a 14 year old having her novel published, and having it adapted into an anime, with out parental involvement (although, in such cases, I would like for the 14 year old to have some sort of adult legal counsel provided to her). However, it's hardly shocking for a person to think otherwise.

I also disagree with you that Kirino's parents should actually be barred from sitting in on negotiations pertaining to her business ventures. As her parents and legal guardians they absolutely should have a right to sit in on major business ventures pertaining to their adolescent daughter. I don't think that they have to be there, but they certainly should have the choice to be there if they want to be.

Edit: Upon reading over all of Hypernova's post (the one that Himeji quoted), I may be mistaken. Legally, Kirino's parents may have had to be there. I don't know what the age of consent is in Japan for signing legally binding contracts, but if it's over 14, then yes, Kirino's parents had to be there.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2010-11-24 at 13:36.
Old 2010-11-24, 14:28   Link #198
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
That's exactly my point. Not only is she successful in everything she sets out to do, but she supposedly does it without using any of the advantages she's gained through her previous equally successful experiences. Nor does having her fingers in so many pies ever act as a detriment to any of the other things she likes to do.

The beginning of the series has her compartmentalizing all these differing aspects of her hobbies, but without forcing her to make occasional choices between them. I'm not talking about things like Ayase and her father's judgment, I'm talking about things like scheduling conflicts, or being overworked, or suffering from stress.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2010-11-24, 14:32   Link #199
Dr. Casey

You can't sign a contract in Japan until you're 20 years old, far as I know, and that might not change for quite some time since according to this poll from July 2008, almost 80 percent of those surveyed disagreed with even 18 and 19 year olds being granted the privilege.

So as for Kirino being able to enter into a contract by herself... yeah... maybe the anime producers were more desperate to have an anime made to replace that one than we realized. That would actually make the premise somewhat more believable for me, in a way (Kirino getting her own anime made from just one Light Novel at age 14, that is), to think that this was just a really shady, desperate group that was so desperate for a replacement anime they behaved in really weird ways. Because yeah, unless there's some exceptions to the rule that I'm unaware of, 14 year olds entering contracts is pretty horribly illegal.
Old 2010-11-24, 15:16   Link #200
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
That's exactly my point. Not only is she successful in everything she sets out to do, but she supposedly does it without using any of the advantages she's gained through her previous equally successful experiences. Nor does having her fingers in so many pies ever act as a detriment to any of the other things she likes to do.

The beginning of the series has her compartmentalizing all these differing aspects of her hobbies, but without forcing her to make occasional choices between them. I'm not talking about things like Ayase and her father's judgment, I'm talking about things like scheduling conflicts, or being overworked, or suffering from stress.
There are simply people out there that are freaking amazing as hell at organizing their time, I know I met one back in college she was like some machine in terms of doing the insane amount of work done way ahead of time.

They've just shown her collapsing in exhaustion this episode. That wasn't from sadness of the series getting butchered. Although it was most likely the straw that broke the camels back.
Closed Thread