AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-02-14, 03:48   Link #4661
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
This probably belongs in the "silly questions" thread, which is actually more serious than silly, really.

To answer your question, that's a surprise to me, too. I've never heard of "unidiomatic expressions" but, going by the examples thrown up by Google, it would appear that such expressions are ungrammatical simply by definition. They are "unidiomatic" in the sense that certain words are being used in ways that native speakers of the language normally wouldn't.

For example, many people incorrectly say "neck to neck" when the correct expression is neck and neck. One passes the baton to the next generation; one does not "pass on the baton". If one is in trouble, we could say that one is in hot water; one is not "in hot soup".

Other mistakes I've come across as recently as yesterday while editing news copy:
Between...and, not between...to; in the latter case, we usually mean to say that something ranges from...to.

Comprises does not require a preposition. For example, the team comprises three members. Alternatively, you can also say: The team consists of three members.

Similarly, juggle does not require a preposition. For example, "I find it hard to juggle career and family", not "I find it hard to juggle between career and family".
Bleh. Thanks for the in-depth clarification. That's basically what I got from Google too, what you said at the beginning. There really is no way to learn this though, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Alright, in 3 months time I will finish my base courses and start taking my majors, which will lead to my degree in Econs and Finance.

The problem is, I have two choices to get my degree from, one of them which is a direct honours which is more prestigious but pure mugging (read : waste of time drilling for exams), whereas the other is very project-oriented.

Which one should I go for? I don't think I have the patience to mug for another 1.5 years of text, but the lack of recognition in the project-oriented one is made up by project work, which is a better learning experience IMO.
Projects.

Good Experience > Prestige
Mr. Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-14, 04:28   Link #4662
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bushido View Post
Bleh. Thanks for the in-depth clarification. That's basically what I got from Google too, what you said at the beginning. There really is no way to learn this though, right?
Nope. There is no shortcut. You have to read widely and intensively to truly master any language, after all. And, when in doubt, always check a good dictionary.

If it's any consolation, even native speakers (of English) get it "wrong" all the time. I say "wrong" because we have to keep in mind that a language is a "living thing" — it is constantly evolving, and the meaning and use of expressions do change over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bushido View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Which one should I go for? I don't think I have the patience to mug for another 1.5 years of text, but the lack of recognition in the project-oriented one is made up by project work, which is a better learning experience IMO.
Projects.

Good Experience > Prestige
To be perfectly cynical, prestige > good experience.

But it's down to personal expectations: If learning experience is what you wish to gain, then no amount of persuasion would make you think otherwise.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-14, 06:06   Link #4663
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
To be perfectly cynical, prestige > good experience.

But it's down to personal expectations: If learning experience is what you wish to gain, then no amount of persuasion would make you think otherwise.
Hmm guess you are right. I don't think I can endure another two years of text and formulae. Thanks.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-14, 08:43   Link #4664
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Does AnimeSuki have an IRC? o.o"
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-14, 12:35   Link #4665
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

#AnimeSuki on irc.synirc.net
Old 2011-02-17, 20:35   Link #4666
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
How much would it cost to repair a car that has been leased? (damage: minor, a fewcscratches and a dent)
Old 2011-02-18, 00:31   Link #4667
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
How much would it cost to repair a car that has been leased? (damage: minor, a fewcscratches and a dent)
Depends on how bad the dent is. The scratches can be easily covered up with paint.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-02-18, 19:24   Link #4668
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
There are certain profiles that refuses to give me permission to view them when clicked upon. What does this imply? Is it the privacy profile forum function that block stranger from viewing your profile or something? Why is there weird tags such as mothra and godzilla on the tags to this thread?
Old 2011-02-18, 19:55   Link #4669
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izayoi View Post
There are certain profiles that refuses to give me permission to view them when clicked upon. What does this imply? Is it the privacy profile forum function that block stranger from viewing your profile or something? Why is there weird tags such as mothra and godzilla on the tags to this thread?
This means that they have their only friends or contacts may view it depending on setting instead of the default everyone, or it's possible they selected "registered user" in which case if you are that person's Ignore List you will not be able to view the person's profile as well.

And tags are just kind of random <_<.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 22:09   Link #4670
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Random question simply do to curious why to torrents that I have seeding[and thus completed Download on] sometimes randomly download small bytes of data despite being finished?

I don't really expect an answer, just wondering .

P.S. I am lurking on your IRC :3.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 22:26   Link #4671
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Random question simply do to curious why to torrents that I have seeding[and thus completed Download on] sometimes randomly download small bytes of data despite being finished?
It's probably downloading data from the tracker(s) on peers, etc.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 22:32   Link #4672
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Question:
I plan to watch Bungaku Shoujo. It have a movie and 2 set of OVA. And while i can check their release date, one of the set of the OVA seems to be the prelude of the movies...

In another word, i need someone who already watched all of the Bungaku Shoujo's anime medium, and tell me which one should i watch first and then the order to maximise the entertainment value of this series
Old 2011-02-21, 01:10   Link #4673
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

You could say than all 3 OAV are prelude to the movie, each focusing on the situation of one girl ( Tooko, Miu and Nanase ) before the movie. If you want to watch the movie knowing most of the starting situation, it might be best to watch the OAV beforehand.
Old 2011-02-21, 04:51   Link #4674
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Question:
I plan to watch Bungaku Shoujo. It have a movie and 2 set of OVA. And while i can check their release date, one of the set of the OVA seems to be the prelude of the movies...

In another word, i need someone who already watched all of the Bungaku Shoujo's anime medium, and tell me which one should i watch first and then the order to maximise the entertainment value of this series
I made a post about this before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I would recommend watching the first (Touko) and third (Nanase) memoire's before moving on to the film. And then watch the second memoire last. (Kanon's right. It does spoil a lot of the film's revelations)

I think if i watched it in that order, I would've enjoyed it a lot more.
I also want to add that you can watch the 'Today's Snack' OVA between Touko and Nanase's memoires but you don't have to. It's mostly a pointless side story anyway.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 00:39   Link #4675
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Is there any way to get some text directly next to my signature? I can't seem to get the text in such a way that it isn't above or below the actual image.
Old 2011-02-22, 04:54   Link #4676
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Method #1

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse potenti.
Donec at enim massa, nec pretium sem. Ut eros tortor, rutrum in aliquam eu, pharetra vitae eros.
Etiam eget faucibus mauris. Donec semper diam nec lectus varius auctor.

Method #1 (variant 2)

Donec at enim massa, nec pretium sem. Ut eros tortor, rutrum in aliquam eu, pharetra vitae eros.

Method #2

Old 2011-02-22, 10:32   Link #4677
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Thank you kindly.
Old 2011-02-24, 11:30   Link #4678
Solafighter
Hige

Google maps (maps.google.jp, as example) -

If i click on photos, video or webcam, to see those on the map, i dont see them. Its like, they are invisible, because if i drag and drop the "street view" symbol, i can see all those blue dots, where the photos should show up. Are there any plugins left to see them? I use the newest version of Firefox.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2011-02-24, 11:31   Link #4679
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Google maps (maps.google.jp, as example) -

If i click on photos, video or webcam, to see those on the map, i dont see them. Its like, they are invisible, because if i drag and drop the "street view" symbol, i can see all those blue dots, where the photos should show up. Are there any plugins left to see them? I use the newest version of Firefox.

Thanks in advance.
I think it is Java.

Old 2011-02-24, 11:49   Link #4680
Solafighter
Hige

Thanks for the hint. It wasnt it, sadly. But in the google help forum, i found out, that my Addblocker blocks google maps images. I switched Addblocker off and now, it works fine.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious