AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Old 2004-10-18, 19:00   Link #21
inu-fma88fan

lol in my chemstry class while half asleep i heard the world alchemy and woke my self up
my teacher went on about saying how it was chemistry on the medeval ages. they called it alchemy or sometimes witchcraf because alchemist did things that normal ppl that age didn't understand.
this made my day^^ i was like cool i learned something from anime
inu-fma88fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 07:31   Link #22
Reticia

Alchemy did exist in our world...some people claimed, from a few hundred years ago to today, that they created a "golem"., which can be compared as the homunculus in FMA. Some people nowadays are claiming that they can transform all they want (who said "transmute"? ) to whatever they want...and some people claim that they created the Stone....even the clonage can be concidered as human alchemy...but nobody has succeed on it yet.
Old 2004-10-19, 08:34   Link #23
Akumabito

If you really want to learn about alchemy and not the new age BS that people try and pull here's a few links.

Chemical Sciences: Intro to Alchemy

Here's a good simple one

Lots of Alchemy stuff here (including the philosophical stuff)

There was a kind of amusing story that I saw on one of those educational channels but I can't remember enough important details to track it down. Anyways it was this one guy who was trying to make an elixir of life and ended up trying out his creation on himself. What he ended up discovering was a blue dye (and a very poisonous one at that).
Akumabito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 15:44   Link #24
wazzup

kool thanks for the info guys..
wazzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 20:00   Link #25
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
Also might want to look into Fulcanelli.
http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/misc/fulcanelli.html
And there is also a lot of interestinf stuff about it at this site.
http://www.sacredmysteries.com/netx1.htm

I read it the other day. Its all interesint but I don't really believe much of it. Still a good read if your into this stuff. (Like me.)
OFFSPRiNGCo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-20, 15:14   Link #26
Neophos
I´m from Sweden ^_^

Send a message via AIM to Neophos Send a message via MSN to Neophos
It is possible to create gold from other materials...

i just read somehwhere that some radiaactive mineral becomes gold after halved around 6 times, around 600.000 years or something...and the cost would be liek, 10 times more then the gold you got...>_>
Neophos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-20, 16:28   Link #27
Shoeshefied

Send a message via AIM to Shoeshefied
2 tlbspn of Some light editable iron, 1/2 cup of diced aged Cucumis sativus, some switch exuded hydroxide, a dash of salt peter, and a bowl of frozen lactose. ANndd wallaaa, eat it and tell me what you made in 23 hours.
Shoeshefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-20, 22:57   Link #28
sakura_wingz

Send a message via ICQ to sakura_wingz Send a message via MSN to sakura_wingz
everyone is so knowledgeable!!

chemistry did spring from alchemy. nothing to do with magic of course, there is transmutation as well...but...different

haven't you read harry potter? there's a lot of history (some fictional) about the philosopher's stone. old chemists/alchemists really did try to find/create it for long life and to turn any material into gold
sakura_wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 02:10   Link #29
Balmung

Send a message via MSN to Balmung
Smile Hahahaha!!

This is such an wonderful place discussing abt Alchemist & Alchemy... I have got hold an information that a Legendary Alchemist from the past named 'Flamel' successfully created the Philosopher's Stone, which during his time, people really believed that Philosopher's Stone can really grant humans eternal life and the ability to make gold... If u people dosen't know abt this can go check on this
person called 'Flamel'.. but i bet u all have already know all there right???
Balmung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 03:24   Link #30
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri

Alchemy, such as lead into gold, is possible. However, THe energy required is of enormous magnitude.

To change a one ounce piece of lead to gold, You have to have something on the order of all the energy in a large star to be able to cause the trasmutation.
?????????? Where did you get that information?????? Could you give me some more datails about it??? That's pretty interesting
Old 2004-10-23, 04:13   Link #31
Sokar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophos
It is possible to create gold from other materials...

i just read somehwhere that some radiaactive mineral becomes gold after halved around 6 times, around 600.000 years or something...and the cost would be liek, 10 times more then the gold you got...>_>
Can you back it up with an actually article? I thought pretty much all the heavy radioactive stuff decayed into lead. Gold, to my knowledge, is impossible to create with fission. The fission process simply would not break down into a heavy yet stable product such as gold. It is only possible through fusion. I think stars are only able to produce heavy elements up to Fe. Then when the stars explode, all the heavy stuff(well, relatively heavy stuff, carbon and oxygen are a lot heavier than He and H), eventually gather together and form a ball, through time becomes earth. And it is through that intense heat and pressure gold that other heavier elements(heavier than Fe) are created. It also makes sense logically that heavier stuff get thrown less far away than the lighter stuff, so all the inner planets have minerals and some form of rocks, while all the outer planets are made of gas.

Also, I'm pretty sure that you don't need all of a star's power to create 1 ounce of gold. Heck, all of Earth's gold were created by the energy released by some large star's explosion billions of years ago. One star can definitely produce tons of gold.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 00:53   Link #32
Umbrae
Generic Human

As an odd note, modern glow sticks, and all other objects that use that fluid are the result of alchemy. A modern alchemest was trying to do the old, turn lead into gold idea. After several failed experiments, as he was closing his lab, he noticed one of the substances was acting as a light source, once the light source was removed.

The idea was marketed. Thus we have glow sticks, glow in the dark paint, hair dye, ect ect.
Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 02:28   Link #33
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
?????????? Where did you get that information?????? Could you give me some more datails about it??? That's pretty interesting

You simply have to knock a few protons out of whatever has more than gold, i think lead has 3 or 4 more protons, not sure, too lazy to get a periodic table :P or add some protons...but I'm not sure if they have sucessfully done that. (but they have been trying to create elements 114 and 116 aren't they?) This is much easier said than than done :P, as it was said, its expensive,1 atom at a time in a particle accelerator.
7hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 07:44   Link #34
zeroboo

can anyone recommend an interesting read in regards to Alchemy?

possibly a link to buying the book?
zeroboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 07:45   Link #35
Faint

It's kinda werid if there is. I could image humans just like us in the first episode when they fix the broken radio.

Any agree with me?
Faint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 08:18   Link #36
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
A link about lead into gold:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/genera.../aa050601a.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The key point
Transmutation of lead into gold isn't just theoretically possible - it has been achieved! There are reports that Glenn Seaborg, 1951 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, succeeded in transmuting a minute quantity of lead (possibly en route from bismuth, in 1980) into gold.

There is an earlier report (1972) in which Soviet physicists at a nuclear research facility near Lake Baikal in Siberia accidentally discovered a reaction for turning lead into gold when they found the lead shielding of an experimental reactor had changed to gold.
I remember hearing about the Seaborg one. Basically it can be done, but the cost of man made gold was astronomically higher than regular gold.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 22:20   Link #37
Anko Plushy

Location: Sometimes LA sometimes the Soul Society sometimes SD sometimes Konoha it all depends on my mood
Send a message via AIM to Anko Plushy Send a message via Yahoo to Anko Plushy
They were scientists that called themselves Alchemists because they wanted a kewl name ( O_O and it is!) they believed they could turn and object (I don't remember what) into gold and believed in an elixer that causes eternal youth.That's just from what I've heard but if Full Metal Alchemist Alchemy was real then that would just be Kick Ass!
Anko Plushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-31, 20:42   Link #38
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Alchemy has been used by several scientist and magicians from the past
The druids ..maybe the fathers of alchemy, well they are known as the fathers of what we know as sorcery ...
Nostradamus (used alchemy to predict the future)
Dante (you might have known him by his book called paradise lost)
witches
rosicrucians (the cross with a rose) known as the forbidden religion
etc ..so many
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-31, 22:41   Link #39
sakura_wingz

Send a message via ICQ to sakura_wingz Send a message via MSN to sakura_wingz
you can certainly create gold by firing a certain number of neutrons at particular other elements. but its too expensive and not economically viable so they don't do it
sakura_wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 01:31   Link #40
physicsgeek
我是 疯之练金术师 和 Physics Geek

Nah! You create gold through nuclear fusion; gold is an element, so it can't be formed from other elements through chemical processes.

By da way, alchemy exist not only in Europe, but in countries all over the world in medieval times. The Chinese Alchemist tried to look for ways to attain immortality and cure illness through alchemy. There's also Indian alchemy, Islam alchemy and Egyptian alchemy.

What so amazing is that these countires developed alchemy independantly without any influence from other countries. People of the past are real wackos.
physicsgeek is offline   Reply With Quote