AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2014-09-20, 15:37   Link #6901
JaDe In NighT
Lolis are JUSTICE

True most of them are for MikotoxKuroko , ToumaxMikoto there was one for Frenda but its dead
JaDe In NighT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 15:45   Link #6902
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaDe In NighT View Post
True most of them are for MikotoxKuroko , ToumaxMikoto there was one for Frenda but its dead
to be honest, i dont even see many index (the char) fanfics anymore

it seems like:
lack of screen time for [put char into this field] => lack of fanfictions with said char

thor is such a example
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 15:55   Link #6903
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
to be honest, i dont even see many index (the char) fanfics anymore

it seems like:
lack of screen time for [put char into this field] => lack of fanfictions with said char

thor is such a example
Not really. Usually the character not used most of the time in the main series are the one being developed. Look at others fic. Because its easier to mold characters that was done that way. You can mold them and you can say its character development and the readers would just flame you but your action can be justified because the canon story doesn't expand that character to make your character out of character.

Look at narutards fic and potty fics.

Its just that index's fan fiction writers are pretty one dimensional or just plain shippers that doesn't really expand the story. Comrade ferret is one of the few exceptions.

I can only name 3 authors in index fan fiction that I actually liked and 2 of them are cross overs stories.
Old 2014-09-20, 16:29   Link #6904
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Its just that index's fan fiction writers are pretty one dimensional or just plain shippers that doesn't really expand the story. Comrade ferret is one of the few exceptions.
Hey, what can I say, I'ma trend setter.

I've made a few ripples in the Index section of FF.net with Darkness before. It got me chuckling too and kinda made me sad all the same.

Personally, when it came to writing Naruto fics (good god, bad times) I was dead set on doin' Naruto / Yugito because of how underdeveloped the latter was in the series. I like doing things differently than other people; going for options that many won't shoot at for the same reasons you addressed.

It's saddening, but expected no matter where you go. I'm just hoping I can eventually make enough ripples in this side of FF.net to eventually make a tidal-wave. It'll happen, you watch, I'll make it happen.

Mugino is Love.

Mugino is Life.

Shizuri's my Dove.

Shizuri's my Wife.
SmokinFerret88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 18:35   Link #6905
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

I feel like the best fics for me are the fics that explore what would have happened in the story if A or B hadn't happened (or had happened like with the Frenda fanfic) in a certain character's backstory, and as a result the character becomes different and can be seen in a new light.

Kamachi actually gives us a lot of details about the characters and if followed straight like Ferret does which is allowed to draw on a lot of the information from the actual verse, it makes it a lot more fun to read and it gets the added benefit of being set in To aru verse. If a fic screws with personalities without giving reasons or just changes things to be out of character, then it is just wish-fulfillment.

The fics that explore character development that could happen are much more fun for me since they're believable, but they just didn't happen in the main story because of certain events that did or didn't happen.

It's also very hard to come out with good fic ideas because it takes a lot of work. I normally never read any fanfiction, but some of the people here mark exceptions to that trend for me, because it not only relates to To aru verse, but is something I really enjoy reading, since I feel like it's done well.

I have no experience writing fan-fics (well very little...) so I can't really say much else about it.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 20:32   Link #6906
silverexorcist
Tropes/cliché expert

New Chapter of a Certain Collection of Events is out. I'm starting to look for a balance between humor and actual seriousness. I like what I had back in chapter 2, but I can't seem to reach that equilibrium again, no matter how hard I try...

Reading through what you guys mentioned, I realize that people should seriously put more focus on the minor characters who are ignored, or at least situations that are given no love in the series. Which would you prefer; a scene with the many Christian girls (plus a washing machine) in their room, or Laura Stuart trolling Electra, the Jeans Shop Owner, the tour guide, and various other Necessarius members?

silverexorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 21:34   Link #6907
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverexorcist View Post
New Chapter of a Certain Collection of Events is out. I'm starting to look for a balance between humor and actual seriousness. I like what I had back in chapter 2, but I can't seem to reach that equilibrium again, no matter how hard I try...

Reading through what you guys mentioned, I realize that people should seriously put more focus on the minor characters who are ignored, or at least situations that are given no love in the series. Which would you prefer; a scene with the many Christian girls (plus a washing machine) in their room, or Laura Stuart trolling Electra, the Jeans Shop Owner, the tour guide, and various other Necessarius members?
Both of those scenarios sound awesome. Oh wait... you said Laura doing it instead of Kanzaki... the second one.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 23:13   Link #6908
FlyingCow65

How does a "Daily life with a monster girl x To aru" crossover sounds? The monster girl are replaced with the Index characters, for example:

Suu a slime who eats almost everything with Index?

Last edited by FlyingCow65; 2014-09-20 at 23:14. Reason: grammar
FlyingCow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 01:03   Link #6909
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinFerret88 View Post
I've broken off three finger nails, jammed up both my middle fingers, and the tips of my other fingers are now all red and swelling up. Worst of all, the screen on my monitor and the keys on my keyboard have blood on them.
ill kiss your hurt away baby, and maybe later you'll strangle me and whisper your true feeeeelingssss~

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Mr.Kyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 01:16   Link #6910
LevelSeven

I suddenly recognized something interesting

Im not sure if others "saw" it too but only one (or so) week after i posted my idea with" otakus into toaru" (the ones who helped be developing this idea should remember it (i hope))

i saw two new fanfics created with a similar idea "real world human into toaru (into mikoto)"
Im not implying anything, but i cant stop smiling, exspecially because i didnt saw any toaru-ff with this kind of plot

Maybe it is just a coincidence

EDIT:

Btw, guys, could you imagine a emo #1? someone with zero confidence and only depressing thoughts despite his power to destroy the world?

why am i writing this ideas?
Well, i have so many ideas, most of them are boring BUT some are really good, like "back to the past" and "to aru no switch"...
And i hope i will read FF's with a idea i posted here :-)

Last edited by LevelSeven; 2014-09-21 at 04:54.
Old 2014-09-21, 11:10   Link #6911
JaDe In NighT
Lolis are JUSTICE

I'll root for you Ferret
Old 2014-09-21, 11:15   Link #6912
JaDe In NighT
Lolis are JUSTICE

The entire series will be how he is sulking in dark roads
Old 2014-09-21, 11:43   Link #6913
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaDe In NighT View Post
The entire series will be how he is sulking in dark roads
at least it is different than the sadistic laughing and tsundere-BS
Old 2014-09-23, 12:07   Link #6914
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Would the ability to distort somebody's standards be considered dangerous? And by standards I mean all standards. They still see the same thing but they can't quantify it, neither can they judge quality based on their standards. For example, someone affected by the power is given a weight of 1kilo to carry and that should be the standard of weight. But when confronted with a metric ton weight, they can't concieve that a metric ton is 1000kg or more like they can't conceive what 1kg is.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 12:29   Link #6915
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
Would the ability to distort somebody's standards be considered dangerous? And by standards I mean all standards. They still see the same thing but they can't quantify it, neither can they judge quality based on their standards. For example, someone affected by the power is given a weight of 1kilo to carry and that should be the standard of weight. But when confronted with a metric ton weight, they can't concieve that a metric ton is 1000kg or more like they can't conceive what 1kg is.
really dangerous,

i guess it is telepathy right?
well, it could change the standard of "danger" that means that the affected person wouldnt recognize a bullet or fire as dangerous...
it would allow you to change the standard of "enemy" and bring it to a low point so that the affected person sees you as enemy but what "enemy" means is now (for him) "someone which can have everything from me"

it isnt OP and i would rank it as level 3, but certainly it would be really dangerous
Old 2014-09-23, 12:48   Link #6916
silverexorcist
Tropes/cliché expert

I agree with level three. The ability sounds like something that should be reproductable by Mental Out. It's most limited by the fact that the user can change standards, but how this affects the target depends on surroundings. But like Mental Out, it should have self-imposed boundaries, like the user having to have a firm grasp on their own standards so they don't ever accidently mess themselves up with their own power. Maybe they create a preset (like creating a general scale for standards ranging from 1-10 or something) and they then use telepathy to superimpose this change in standards over the target's own, rewriting them.

Old 2014-09-23, 14:26   Link #6917
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverexorcist View Post
I agree with level three. The ability sounds like something that should be reproductable by Mental Out. It's most limited by the fact that the user can change standards, but how this affects the target depends on surroundings. But like Mental Out, it should have self-imposed boundaries, like the user having to have a firm grasp on their own standards so they don't ever accidently mess themselves up with their own power. Maybe they create a preset (like creating a general scale for standards ranging from 1-10 or something) and they then use telepathy to superimpose this change in standards over the target's own, rewriting them.
this idea if from inception but what would be if the OC has a simple figure which only he knows and he can only use his power while touching the small object...

it helps his mind to focus on the mind of others and not his own...

because standarts are mostly similar, like that of "danger", "stupid", "useless" "necessary"...

and therefore he needs to be careful not to change his own mind...

btw, this "change" is it temporary or does it even work after a person, like accel, acivated its protection?
because i think the latter case would make his powers different from mental out...
Old 2014-09-23, 19:08   Link #6918
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I haven't thought so far ahead as pressing the details and limitations of the ability. But the initial idea is that it completely removes the frame of reference from the decision making process of the target. It could be done without contact but I haven't decided how to know which standard is being affected.
Old 2014-09-23, 19:26   Link #6919
silverexorcist
Tropes/cliché expert

This all goes back to how little we know about telepathy in this series. Kamachi-dono seriously needs to address it at some point...like volume 11, damn it, I just realized that it's the perfect opportunity.

Basically, the idea is reasonable, but I can't see it going higher than level 3 if all it affects is standards. I can't see it working as anything but telepathy, since making it psychokinesis implies something completely different. So I don't really think contact really works, unless the user transmits information through the skin, or something.

Speaking of esper powers, what do you think of an esper that can manipulate Euclidean Space? I've been thinking this through and it requires a lot. Basically, the user perceives the world around them in a three-dimensional coordinate grid (to them, space can literally be defined by three coordinates for the x, y, and z access). They bend space by changing the 'viewing window' of the grid and altering the values of each coordinate, so they can literally redirect attacks without actually effecting the values of real space, since distance won't change. Other abilities might include something similar to teleportation by directly changing coordinates (or 'glitching', as I've taken to calling it, though that involves a plot point) and even manipulating scalar quantities, though I'm having trouble rationalizing this after my initially inspiration.

Basically, I'm reexamining calculus because this power seems really interesting and viable to me, but the details really tax my knowledge of math.

Old 2014-09-23, 22:39   Link #6920
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I had a similar idea once about bending space. Basically you view the 3 dimensional space as a kind of 2 dimensional cloth. The power allows you to twist and turn it without affecting how things would interact in that space if it passed through. It's like being able to twist a bottle that can go back to its original shape while the way water flows in is not affected. If your twist the bottle then the water enters in a twisted manner as well. It's okay for water and air because they don't mind. but the problem is with solid mass. If the container which is indestructible is twisted with a solid mass inside, shouldn't the solid matter follow the change in shape of the container?

Is it something like that?

What if the ability to make someone lose or change their standards of things is arbitrary and remote? how badly would that end up for anybody? Also, the ability skews the subconsciousness and not calculative thought. It's like losing a reference point instead of being unable to calculate at all. Would that affect accelerator even with his defense up? I actually vote yes.

Tags
character, crack, crossover ideas, discussion, fanfiction