AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-04-20, 14:01   Link #1
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Discovering Anime!

I always remember the first time I came across anime which happened whilst I was flicking through channels and sneakily staying up late on a saturday night and flicking onto the sci fi channel to find Akria on and at 9 years of age you can imagine how much this movie blew my mind and I knew from that moment plus the countless amount of times i rushed home from school to catch DBZ, Tenchi Muyo &Mobile Gundam suit on toonami that I was and always will be an anime fan.

So my question to you is what was your first memory of anime, what was the first manga/anime that introduced you to the japanese animation phenomenon tht we on this forum all clearly love.
Old 2012-04-20, 14:09   Link #2
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I discovered anime through AXN. I was 10 then. I still remember till this day. I was casually flipping through channels when I came across this anime......Fushigi Yuugi! Tamahome was so hot I thought I would melt on the spot. 10 was a very impressionable age, and I was very awestruck by bishounens. I wasn't sure about following the show because it seemed to me to be pretty intense, but more and more bishounens appeared, and at last I resigned myself to it. Then after Fushigi Yuugi, I was tempted to watch Sakura Wars, and the list goes on, and on, and on, and on......till now.

Sad to say, bishounens no longer affect me the way they once did. These days, I even prefer characters with flawed looks.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 14:10   Link #3
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Before being introduced to the anime world, I barely remembers some episodes of Pokémon and Digimon. My first animes (when I was 6) that I can enjoy are Cardcaptor Sakura and Yu-Gi-Oh!, which I discovered them on M6 and thanks to Mirumo! (which blew my mind to go enter anime world), I entered the whole anime universe. I became a full-time anime fan since Naruto.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 14:13   Link #4
Kyuu
=^^=

Macross II.

1994. I came across this series, with a collection of others at a Blockbuster video. Being a general fan of animation to begin with... well... of course, I rented it.

And I'll admit this: Anime does look "different" than Western counterparts. But when it comes down to it, animation is animation.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 14:20   Link #5
zarqu
Stüldt Håjt!

Well. When I was a kid I didn't have my own TV (until I was 13 years old, or something). I remember being allowed to stay up just long enough when I was 10-11 to catch glimpses of Neon Genesis Evangelion. That was the first time I kind of knew that this "cartoon" wasn't exactly for kids. I was very much enticed by the imagery.

After that I kept casually watching Dragon Ball Z for a rather long time. We didn't have a channel that broadcast only cartoons at that time, so it was pretty much the only anime available besides Pokemon/Digimon.

The first time I watched something that I *knew* was anime, specifically, was when a friend of mine showed me his Naruto DVD back in 2009. I have watched anime ever since.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 14:26   Link #6
Eragon
Still Alive

I watched Dragon Ball Z, on CN without the knowledge that it was called "anime". So, I'm not counting it.
My first encounter with anime was when I was surfing the T.V. and stumbled upon the Animax channel. The show that was going on it was Jigoku Shoujo(Hell Girl). The show immediately caught my attention it was so starkly different from what I was seeing till then on CN. I was 13 years old and the serious theme of Hell Girl was enough to get me addicted. Also, I had taken quite a liking to Ai Enma(she looked cute and her lines were so cool in english dub). The other shows that I watched on Animax also had a dark theme as having watched nothing but happy-go-lucky cartoons for so long I was addicted to the dark themes of anime. I think I watched Blood+ alongside Hell Girl. Well after that I was watching nothing but Animax The shows I watched on Animax constitute a major part of anime shows I have watched till now(which is over 130, not much, I know, but still.)
Old 2012-04-20, 14:31   Link #7
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

I remember when the card game yu-gi-oh was the shit back in the day I would always collect the rarest most powerful card.I'm mexican but my japanese cousin would let me borrow his yu yu hakusho and baki the grappler DVDs and I remember getting hooked with anime after that.
Old 2012-04-20, 14:53   Link #8
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
Before being introduced to the anime world, I barely remembers some episodes of Pokémon and Digimon. My first animes (when I was 6) that I can enjoy are Cardcaptor Sakura and Yu-Gi-Oh!, which I discovered them on M6 and thanks to Mirumo! (which blew my mind to go enter anime world), I entered the whole anime universe. I became a full-time anime fan since Naruto.
woah blast from the past I remember getting pokemon for my chunky gameboy when they were first available in the UK and watching the show along side...I never liked pidgey much.
Old 2012-04-20, 15:44   Link #9
Haladflire65
*Artist

Not counting Pokemon, when I first went to live in Tokyo in 2008 and couldn't find anything to watch on TV but anime at the time (it was probably after-school prime time with Jump Tuesdays and whatnot). At first I had zero interest and found it annoying but soon started watching bits of Bleach and Gintama and Soul Eater, Natsume Yuujinchou and those other afternoon shows... I saw bits of Gundam 00 on Sundays too. SE really got me into anime, then I started reading Fullmetal Alchemist at the bookstore which progressed into an obsession with it and Brotherhood

It's really hard not to get into anime when it's constantly in your face!
Old 2012-04-20, 16:24   Link #10
Rahan

I have fond memories of my childhood animes (Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball and later DBZ, Captain Tsubasa), but this was nothing more than "liking the cartoons airing on TV at the time". I was not specially a fan and when they stopped being broadcasted in the middle of the 90es, I left the anime world totally.
In 99, I entered college and quickly made an "otaku" friend who loaned me his tapes of Evangelion and Escaflowne and joined the Pen & Paper RPG club in which I found copies of Record of Lodoss OVA. Toward the end of the first semester, Mononoke Hime hit the french theaters.
Resistance was futile, I was assimilated.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 16:59   Link #11
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

WGN TV in Chicago, maybe 630 AM (before school, anyway) watching dubbed Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato) with my older sister.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 17:15   Link #12
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Doraemon in Chinese when I was really little - didn't really care for it.

Pokemon on American Television, along with Yugioh, DragonBall series, Yu Yu Hakusho, most of what was in the Toonami lineup. Stopped watching for a long time, and then one of my friends showed me an episode of Case Closed, which I recalled back on Toonami/Adult Swim.

Got hooked on that, and saw 500+ episodes and like over 20 cumulative OVAs/Movies. Detective Conan was my gateway towards other series, which leads me to where I am now.
Old 2012-04-20, 17:17   Link #13
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Kanon (2002). My parents could finally afford a cheap computer and basic internet when I was 14 and up until then we had nothing. I remember sifting through YouTube videos about this "Pokemon" show everyone was going crazy about but my eye caught a Kanon video instead.

Opened it up, and from that point on, I don't remember anything other than pure spectacle and wonderment. Western television was so boring to me when my friends and I watched stuff at their places, so seeing all the colours, dynamic voice acting and cutesy characters I was hooked. To this day, I still prefer the 2002 version over the 2006 KyoAni version, and I think I'm one of the only ones who does.
Old 2012-04-20, 18:28   Link #14
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Pokemon, digimon, yugioh, and stuff at 10. Haruhi and fan by 18.
Old 2012-04-20, 19:25   Link #15
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

The first anime that was introduced to me was Chibi Maruko chan, and Sailor Moon at around 2-5 years old since I lived in Japan back then so I got hooked on anime quite easily.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 20:54   Link #16
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Detective Conan was my true gateway. After that, I discovered Youtube. And then everything spoke for itself.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 21:12   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My first exposure to anime was in the 1960s and I had no idea it was called anime - Speed Racer, Gigantor, Astroboy (and the live-action Ultraman). After that was a long dark period til my sons latched onto Pokemon in the 90s when they were young. My main impression of anime during those decades were "bang, boobs, and shouting" (young boy action shounen) - meh.
I started reading Megatokyo back when it started and Fred sort of introduced me to this world of OTHER THINGS done in anime - romance, comedy, relationship drama, supernatural, etc. So I took a look at the first Kanon series, Love Hina, and off we went. It helped that I had started to learn Japanese about the same time (I'd always been interested in the rest of Japanese culture).
Old 2012-04-21, 03:24   Link #18
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I discovered anime in a television channel, dubbed in Filipino... it was... it was... Sailor Moon!!!
I love Usagi!!! Then came the Gundams.... and the rest is history...!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 03:58   Link #19
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I have grown up with watching french tv shows called "Vitamines" and "Récré A2". Most of the anime of that time period was aired on Récré A2, UFO Grendizer, Harlock, Candy Candy, Space Adventure Cobra, Rose of Versailles. then came La 5 with "Youpi l'Ecole est Finie", it aired King Arthur which made me a crazy about middle ages, Little Princess which introduced me to the earliest example of moé I can think of (so yeah, here you go anti-moé crowd), Macross, actually Robotech that was one of the few mecha anime I will still check out once in a while, because Macross merged three of the big things I have been digging when I was a kid, space, robots and cool plane. Youpi also aired my favorite magical girls shows, Magical Emi, Persia and Creamy Mami, and finally it aired Kimagure Orange Road. Also the all-time classic in sport anime for those as old as me, Captain Tsubasa.

However, La 5 was in concurrence with TF1, and its famous or infamous "Club Dorothée". Club Dorothée aired many of the classics for those in my age range, Maison Ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura, Saint Seiya, that was my favourite shounen, Dragon Ball, then Z, Samurai Troopers, Hokuto no Ken (butchered with a gag dub because it was targeted at the wrong audience). Also, Ranma 1/2, Shurato, Sailor Moon, City Hunter and many sentai shows. However, it was when I listened an anime themed radio show and heard Get Wild, the original opening of City Hunter (ours was awful) that I WANTED to know more about the actual japanese in my anime. Not the fail frenchized names they picked for Ranma 1/2 and Sailor Moon (funny enough, Saint Seiya was spared from this localization, which may explain why I can watch a rerun of its french version if they do it).

The VHS market, especially the OVA provided such opportunity. First with a english sub of Bubblegum Crisis. Then, THE anime that have ignited the flame of the anime fan inside me, Record of Lodoss War. It thanks to Bubblegum Crisis and Lodoss, also Akira that showed me that anime can mean SRS Business, that I sought MORE than what french mainstream TV offered. With them, I could watch Macross Plus, AD Police, Yoshiaki Kawajiri's OAVs and movies, Grave of the Fireflies, Totoro, at one time, a friend even lent me a VHS where there was a raw of the last OVA of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I dismissed it as "gay". It's only in 2002 that I found out how much of a foolish judgement it was.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 05:44   Link #20
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I saw various animes on T.V., but I don't feel a really "discovered" as media I was interested til a friend on an MMO got me interested in Juuni Kokuki/The Twelve Kingdoms as that series marked my gradually snowballing interest in anime's beginning. Which hit critical mass years later when I saw The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote