AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-05-07, 10:35   Link #1081
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Implying there's such a thing as a smart delinquent...
I know the Japanese expect teenagers to be straightedge, but is smoking really enough to qualify him as a delinquent?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 10:59   Link #1082
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I know the Japanese expect teenagers to be straightedge, but is smoking really enough to qualify him as a delinquent?
Yes. There are private schools in the US where being caught smoking on campus could result in an expulsion. In a Japanese private high school, not only would he suffer the consequences, but it would be considered a stain on the reputation of his whole family.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 12:05   Link #1083
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well , wait for more episodes , atm things aren't interesting even Chi's jii-san mysteries.
And Houtaru who looks so lazy with his "cool attitude" pisses me off... like if everythings are pieces of cake for him...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 12:18   Link #1084
ookamigirl

A case of a missing uncle..
This is a lot harder case for our laid back Oreki ^^
Getting back to anthologies thing..
The senpai's weird behavior was clue enough.
Guess Oreki read him pretty well to figure out where he's hiding the anthologies.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 12:24   Link #1085
Qilin
Romanticist

Okay, let's see.

Spoiler for episode 3:
Old 2012-05-07, 12:24   Link #1086
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
still a bit confused on the uncle mystery part, gonna have to re-watch it at some point this week before the next episode. The animation was just amazing though.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 12:27   Link #1087
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
episode 5
OMG! You're watching episodes that haven't aired yet! You must be from the future! Quick, give me some winning lottery numbers!
Old 2012-05-07, 12:32   Link #1088
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
OMG! You're watching episodes that haven't aired yet! You must be from the future! Quick, give me some winning lottery numbers!
Edited.

Give me a break, I also just finished watching the new season of Saki (which is at episode 5).
Old 2012-05-07, 12:38   Link #1089
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I quite like that the issue was about smoking. It's realistic (at least from my point of view) and it's easy to see as an issue, especially when you take his background into account. It gives me hope that the series can deal with slightly more serious matters in context of a school life without going overboard into things like death or some other fantastic plot element.

Ibara is really the most interesting character for me aside from Oreki. She treats everyone in the show slightly differently. She's nice to both Satoshi and Chitanda, but the way she's supportive of Chitanda and the way she followed along Satoshi (kinda like an affectionate puppy ) are slightly different. And then there's her with Oreki, which is always interesting.

The tone was definitely a bit more serious this episode. I can't say I didn't like it, but I feel like some of Chitanda's reactions were a little overblown. Well, it wasn't too bad. The standoff between Oreki and the other guy was really cool though .
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 12:39   Link #1090
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

No worse than that time I kept talking about anime happening around 1906 (rather than 2006) as I'd been working on a paper where I was simulating newsprint headlines from around 1910 for three hours straight.
Old 2012-05-07, 12:43   Link #1091
Jarmel

Quote:
Yes. There are private schools in the US where being caught smoking on campus could result in an expulsion. In a Japanese private high school, not only would he suffer the consequences, but it would be considered a stain on the reputation of his whole family.
So is there any reason he can't find some random spot to smoke in compared to doing it on school grounds?
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 13:01   Link #1092
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
So is there any reason he can't find some random spot to smoke in compared to doing it on school grounds?
A better question is: Why not?

The room is easily accessible from class. Plus, he would have higher chance of being spotted if he smoked in public, as opposed to a locked classroom after school. Take note that if someone spots him smoking, his family's image would be dirtied.

It's not like he was expecting anyone to come by in the first place.
Old 2012-05-07, 13:32   Link #1093
com_gwp

Wow, I just can't get over how much I'm loving the camera work+lighting in Hyou-ka. Kyoani managed to achieve a really film-like quality with it and their continued experimentation with art styles and animation. That picture book sequence in episode 3 was amazing.

And lo and behold, the story and pacing is coming into its own after the rather weak premiere.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 13:49   Link #1094
alarmadadna hadi

I wonder if Eru's uncle had to do with the formation of the classics club (Or was it older? Cannot remember...) given the way the forward to issue#2 speaks of him, makes you also suspect if it was "just" a classics club, it appears either its formation or its activities meant a lot to whoever was involved.

And I only noticed this week's lil' mystery by the time it was done...Yeah, I'm not really smart...
Old 2012-05-07, 16:20   Link #1095
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
A better question is: Why not?

The room is easily accessible from class. Plus, he would have higher chance of being spotted if he smoked in public, as opposed to a locked classroom after school. Take note that if someone spots him smoking, his family's image would be dirtied.

It's not like he was expecting anyone to come by in the first place.
If you have remote sensors and living in a rural area, better to do it someplace secluded instead of a classroom where anyone could go by or a teacher might need access to in a hurry. Also unless he has a filtration system someone might smell something outside depending on the height of the room compared to the ground floor. I mean most people, such as a teacher, would have thought something was up if they had to go in the room to pick up papers.
Old 2012-05-07, 16:36   Link #1096
Random Wanderer

Quote:
If you have remote sensors and living in a rural area, better to do it someplace secluded instead of a classroom where anyone could go by or a teacher might need access to in a hurry. Also unless he has a filtration system someone might smell something outside depending on the height of the room compared to the ground floor. I mean most people, such as a teacher, would have thought something was up if they had to go in the room to pick up papers.
This logic never stopped people from smoking at any of the schools I went to, despite the threat of expulsion for anyone caught. Don't fall into the trap of assuming that people won't do something just because it's stupid.
Old 2012-05-07, 17:25   Link #1097
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Yeah, but we wouldn't call the smoker a delinquent.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 17:40   Link #1098
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
I was under the impression that the classroom was a relatively unused one given by how cluttered it was. Anyway, it's probably unproductive to speculate on the things he could have done when we don't even have the entire picture in perspective.
Old 2012-05-07, 17:46   Link #1099
hyl
reading #hikaributts

So is anyone else listening to the hyouka radio show hosted by Satou Satomi and Sakaguchi Daisuke? Satou Satomi is quite genki in the show
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 17:49   Link #1100
Jarmel

Quote:
This logic never stopped people from smoking at any of the schools I went to, despite the threat of expulsion for anyone caught. Don't fall into the trap of assuming that people won't do something just because it's stupid.
When you put up motion sensors, you kinda put yourself a step above everyone else.

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life