3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.48%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.48%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.95%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-20, 19:25   Link #41
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I hope the ending isn't really depressing, a happy ending would be ideal. If I put up with more of what happened in this episode only to have it end badly, then I'll probably be really depressed after watching it.

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 19:27   Link #42
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
The "with no return" was the important part of that. Descent into hell WITH a return into the light is entirely different from descending into hell and ending there.

So long as everyone important gets brought back, I can live with that.
You don't like characters dying do you?
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 19:29   Link #43
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Did anyone notice how nearing the end of the ED animation, the Madoka changes from short-haired to long-haired?
Suggestion of a timeskip?
Old 2011-01-20, 19:50   Link #44
Fishbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Did anyone notice how nearing the end of the ED animation, the Madoka changes from short-haired to long-haired?
I thought her hair is always fairly long, but just tied in ribbons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
As for Mami's body, we didn't actually see it, but we see a broken teacup spilling a red liquid next to the grief seed. And it's pretty obvious what that's symbolic of.
Hmm, you should rewatch the scene again. (Oh and we're not using spoilers now...?)

After the witch is defeated, a pile of black stuff roughly the size of a torso falls out of the witch and lands on a table further away. Homura looks at it then looks away, tells Sayaka and Madoka this is what it means to be a magical girl. THEN we see the seed falling on a closer table with the broken teacup.
Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 19:53   Link #45
Clarste
Human

I saw that stuff, but you're just assuming that it's the remains. Well, to be fair I'm pretty sure that they wanted you to think that. In terms of "proving" that the character is dead though I think the teacup is the strongest evidence.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 19:55   Link #46
Mentar
Banned

Let's not be fooling ourselves, Mami is dead. Homura warned her before the fight. We saw her surprise and fear when Mami's finishing move failed. We saw how the witch bit off her head and then jumped after the falling headless corpse to devour it. And in the end, the defeated witch dropped Mami's cup - broken.

Does that mean that she's gone forever? Well, not necessarily. A miracle might get her back. The main reason why I don't see it happening in the next episode is rather on the meta-level: Mami's role in the show has been fulfilled. She gave us insight in the life of MGs, and boy, does it suck. She also showed that this is no fun game for girls, but a lifethreatening quandary. Bringing her back now would only lessen the impact of her death. The soonest miracle roll I could see the storywriter give her would be ep12.

Just a side-remark: Did you guys notice that the dead Mami didn't leave behind a soul gem, but a grief seed? (Assuming that the seed isn't from the witch - at least, Homura didn't object to Sayaka's "That's Mami's..." complaint) You're aware what that means? What witches most likely are, in the end?

This blood grinder is a truly nefarious racket... this is Mai HiME all over.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 19:56   Link #47
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

More than one person have stated that wishing a person to be bought back to life is a taboo that wish fulfilling genre will not normally cross. The premise of many anime revolve around just this, while others, such as Fullmetal Alchemist and even Nanoha use this as a significant plot element.

It remains to be seen what Gen wishes to here.

By the way, the grief seed belongs to Charlotte. Look at 21:50.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 19:56   Link #48
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Excellent, the witch this time is completely different stylistically and doesn't move at 3 FPS. That's a good sign for the rest of the enemies to come.

As for the story progression I think it's all been said by now, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Just a side-remark: Did you guys notice that the dead Mami didn't leave behind a soul gem, but a grief seed? (Assuming that the seed isn't from the witch - at least, Homura didn't object to Sayaka's "That's Mami's..." complaint) You're aware what that means? What witches most likely are, in the end?

I interpreted it that way at first, but the icon on top is different. Maybe it mutates when you die, though? I'd believe that.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 20:01   Link #49
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
I interpreted it that way at first, but the icon on top is different. Maybe it mutates when you die, though? I'd believe that.
This is absolutely 100% a grief seed. I rechecked from ep2 and 3.
Old 2011-01-20, 20:02   Link #50
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
The "with no return" was the important part of that. Descent into hell WITH a return into the light is entirely different from descending into hell and ending there.

So long as everyone important gets brought back, I can live with that.
The Mephisto (1981) from which that ED pic came from is prob not reassuring.

Madoka is crying in the OP and in a pic of Mephisto in the ED. Good ending is not what this is foreshadowing.
Old 2011-01-20, 20:05   Link #51
Clarste
Human

Faust has a happy ending. In Goethe's version anyway, which is the one referenced by the show.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 20:05   Link #52
Fishbait

Quote:
Let's not be fooling ourselves, Mami is dead. Homura warned her before the fight. We saw her surprise and fear when Mami's finishing move failed. We saw how the witch bit off her head and then jumped after the falling headless corpse to devour it. And in the end, the defeated witch dropped Mami's cup - broken.

Does that mean that she's gone forever? Well, not necessarily. A miracle might get her back. The main reason why I don't see it happening in the next episode is rather on the meta-level: Mami's role in the show has been fulfilled. She gave us insight in the life of MGs, and boy, does it suck. She also showed that this is no fun game for girls, but a lifethreatening quandary. Bringing her back now would only lessen the impact of her death. The soonest miracle roll I could see the storywriter give her would be ep12.

I think Sayaka yelled that because she felt that witch should have been defeated by Mami and therefore the seed belongs to her.

People in great emotional pain tend to have not the most rational logical thought process.
Old 2011-01-20, 20:06   Link #53
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Now I feel bad for thinking Mami's smile was hiding some evil psycho girl.

Kind of knew something bad was going to happen with all the flags being thrown throughout the episode.

Good to know that this is definitely not going to be a typical magical girl show. I mean, we were all 99% sure, but now it's confirmed.

So...one has to wonder...without Mami just being there as inspiration, what's going to push Madoka into making a contract.

Also, until it turned out Mami wasn't really an evil psycho, I really thought it was awfully coincidental for that grief seed to show up where it did. It seemed like it was all orchestrated on purpose to pressure Sayako into making a contract. Now, I'm not sure.

I still think Kyubei is not what he seems, but who knows at this point. For someone who isn't allowed to pressure the choice, he sure seems awfully eager to get the girls to sign contracts.

I'm still in the dark about Homura's motives. She doesn't seem to want Madoka to become a magical girl. The insinuation is due to her potential. Compounded by her ambivalence towards Sayako. But, it makes no sense, since she could easily just kill Madoka if she really was some power-hungry magical girl on a power-trip. There's something there, which I think is going to be central to the story as we move forward.

Mami's warning about making wishes for others. I assume at some point Sayako is going to make a wish concerning her crush stuck in the hospital, and it'll end up biting her in the butt. But, I have to wonder. Will Madoka make the same mistake? Wish for Mami to return to life or something along those lines?
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 20:07   Link #54
fukarming

My opinion of this show will drop dramatically if they bring people back from dead. I hate shows doing that just to make a good ending (Mai Hime comes to mind). If you don't want people dead then don't kill them in the first place!
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 20:07   Link #55
Mentar
Banned

Mmmh. Urobuchi Gen is no blind cruel slaughtermaster, he did write several "good" endings for his games, too. I do give the show a realistic chance for a "good" ending, but it will be bittersweet at best, no sugar bomb. And anything until then will get from bad to worse.
Old 2011-01-20, 20:08   Link #56
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Faust has a happy ending. In Goethe's version anyway, which is the one referenced by the show.
That's the thing with contracts. There's always a loophole. And if someone is willing to go Daniel Webster on Kyubey (a man who keeps his wit about him is a respectable man indeed), then things just may turn out alright. That is what I'm optimistic for.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 20:10   Link #57
Fishbait

Let's not forget about the other main theory behind this episode - Mami did it on purpose to trick Madoka/Sayaka into forming the contract and wishing her back. Should always stay open to possibilities

Oh and here's a gif about the *body* topic that has been menioned

Spoiler for witch's defeat in gif:

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-01-20 at 20:24. Reason: Put image in thumbnail because it is too large to post in plain IMG tags.
Old 2011-01-20, 20:11   Link #58
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Mmmh. Urobuchi Gen is no blind cruel slaughtermaster, he did write several "good" endings for his games, too. I do give the show a realistic chance for a "good" ending, but it will be bittersweet at best, no sugar bomb. And anything until then will get from bad to worse.
It doesn't have to be all sugar and sweetness and puffy clouds and fields of flowers and what-not, but I do insist that all the girls be alive for the ending.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 20:12   Link #59
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Spoiler for Faust:
Old 2011-01-20, 20:13   Link #60
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Mami's warning about making wishes for others. I assume at some point Sayako is going to make a wish concerning her crush stuck in the hospital, and it'll end up biting her in the butt. But, I have to wonder. Will Madoka make the same mistake? Wish for Mami to return to life or something along those lines?
I maintain what I wrote after ep2: My speculation (which I will herewith upgrade to even money bet level) is that the prior example for a "wish for someone else's sake" that Kyubey talked about comes from Homura, who wished that Madoka ceased being a Magical Girl. And at the moment, Kyubey is screwing over Homura by first granting the wish (Madoka now lives as a normal girl), but slowly snaring her to lure her back into the blood grinder.