AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2019-05-14, 18:38   Link #1
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Bungo Stray Dogs

This is a thread to talk about the manga Bungo Stray Dogs by Kafka Asagiri and Sango Harukawa. The series is monthly and as of May 2019 it has 17 volumes with a two volume adaptation of the movie Dead Apple. There is also a spinoff named Bungo Stray Dogs: Another Story - Yukito Ayatsuji vs. Natsuhiko Kyogoku but it has a different artist. Be wild
Old 2019-05-15, 08:18   Link #2
LKK

The manga series (and some? all? of the novels) is licensed in the US by Yen Press. I updated the thread prefix.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-26, 16:30   Link #3
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Looks like the light novels have been licensed too

The first appears to Dazai's entrance into the agency while others were adapted into season 2 and 3 (Dazai's past with the mafia)

Also, there is a gaiden light novel released with the movie that depicts a world where Atsushi and Dazai are in the mafia while Akutagawa is with the agency
Old 2019-07-28, 18:39   Link #4
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I caught up to the series following the third season's ending.
Spoiler for what the?:
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-01, 09:14   Link #5
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Another tidbit that might make for an awesome plottwist
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2020-01-29, 17:54   Link #6
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

The novel Beast inspired a new spinoff manga. In short it's an alternate universe where Dazai, Atsushi switch sides with Akutagawa and Oda in terms of where do they work for.

The regular manga also introduced a new character whose existence might lead to a big plotwist
Old 2020-02-06, 23:59   Link #7
Akira Theia

Incredibly underrated manga. I picked it up after seeing the three anime seasons and immediately became my favorite monthly manga second to only one.

The characters are all unique and well-developed, both the heroes and the villains. The story is exciting and always leaves me wondering where it will go next. Few manga surprise me like this one.

And of course, I adore works of fiction that maje references to other good works and real people.
Akira Theia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-18, 17:34   Link #8
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

The latest chapters have been quite short but I wonder if the Decay of Angels arc is really ending with the latest event.

Also, the official twitter account of the anime announced something to be revealed tomorrow.
Old 2020-06-18, 22:11   Link #9
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Wanna read but the MC's power is lame
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-19, 13:53   Link #10
dragon1412

The story is pretty good though, What really interesting is that the power of characters are actually very distinct and unique, the main issues is that some part tend to be a little chaotics.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-19, 15:15   Link #11
LevelSeven

I like this series a lot but imo the mix of straight forward punching powers and the powers that have very specific conditions and need to be used with smarts kinda makes the fights appear unbalanced.

If this series was just full of this gimmicky powers like that creation power or hologram ability, than it would make guns also appear like a better thread. The MC, in tiger-mode, is essentially unstoppable, bulletproof and has insane healing while others barely get one power.

But despite that, the series is quite nice, the pacing is really slow though, and if you think about it, this is a monthly manga, so it really feels like its basically only building up stuff.
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-19, 15:22   Link #12
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Looks like there will be a new anime adaptation but based on the spin-off Wan
I wished an adaptation of the novel Beast though

EDIT: Source added https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-anime/.160807

Nobuhiro Arai is returning for this spinoff

Last edited by Mad Pierrot; 2020-06-19 at 17:55.
Old 2020-06-20, 12:25   Link #13
wuhugm
Confused Shark

I started reading

And it's weird

The agency is always in comedy mode

Despite the mafia is actually killing people and always trying to kill the agency

But the agency just deal with them like Team Rocket in Pokemon

Always letting them go after they get knocked unconscious

So weird
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-20, 19:37   Link #14
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
I started reading

And it's weird

The agency is always in comedy mode

Despite the mafia is actually killing people and always trying to kill the agency

But the agency just deal with them like Team Rocket in Pokemon

Always letting them go after they get knocked unconscious

So weird
If I recall well, the reason for this struggle is Atsushi. The government wants the Tiger but Dazai decided to take the kid under his wing and keep it a secret. Both the mafia and agency are forbidden from attacking each other so they aim to avoid causing a war in Yokohama. As to why the mafia wants Atsushi, that's actually explained in the second arc.

Still, something weird is that the light novels are also important to the point the anime started adapting them.
Old 2021-07-07, 03:19   Link #15
Ampalirani

Will I really have someone to discuss this anime with! Among my friends, few people watch anime, so I don't even have anyone to share my impressions with. I started watching this anime about a month ago. And I love it! So many interesting characters with profound experiences and history. I think after I finish watching the anime, it's worth reading the manga. Sometimes on the Internet, I come across different facts about anime; several times, there were even spoilers. And I also somehow found the test on the anime which bungou stray dogs character are you and decided to take it. As a result, I look like Agutagawa, LOL. But I'm happy because this is my favorite character.

Last edited by Ampalirani; 2021-07-08 at 04:36.
Ampalirani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-04, 07:25   Link #16
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

The manga finally caught up with the manga and I guess everybody saw this coming but Fyodor might be alive

Tags
bungo stray dogs, detective, mafia, manga, supernatural