AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-08-06, 15:32   Link #1
Kankel
Akuma HighClass Commander

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (2009)

Here is the trailer to the 6th movie on the Harry Potter series looks quite promising.In this movie things will happen that will blow people away Enjoy!!

http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/h.../HP6_Large.mov

http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/h...HP6_Medium.mov

http://www.harrypotter.com/

Last edited by Kankel; 2009-07-15 at 09:38. Reason: update
Kankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 16:05   Link #2
james0246

The sixth book is when the series really started to go wrong, so pardon me for being slightly less interested in this movie due to my non-appreciation for the book .

That being said, nicely done trailer. Good Williams score mixed with some fine editing all come together with a trailer focusing, not on Harry, but rather the relationship between Dumbledore and Tom Riddle. Quite Fun. (it does help that the kid playing Tom Riddle is sufficiently creey but innocent enough that we can not unequivically call him "evil".)

btw, is this the book that is split up into two movies? Or was that idea finally tossed to the side.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 16:07   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes

^TUBED

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
btw, is this the book that is split up into two movies? Or was that idea finally tossed to the side.
The last book is going to be split apart and the shooting started as soon as they finished this one
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 16:25   Link #4
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I think the director is the same as the last one. And the last one was a youtube'd version of the book, and the worst one in the series so far. I was shocked to see his name staying there for the last three movies too. In the last movie, there was no connectino between parts, it was really like watching a series of commercials with almost no connection in-between, other than the actors. At one time, I thought maybe he was Rowling's secret lover, but, I guess, even the good ones can go wrong. I would have really preferred a strong director coming for the last two (actually three) books, such as Spielberg, but, Rowling's stubborness to select a Brit made that expectation fail. Now, if we can get a good movie, which I don't think would be a lot more different than what we got for the last one, it should definitely be considered as a miracle. And those kind of things won't happen often.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 16:52   Link #5
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
*harry potter book fangirl*

hmm, saw that last week on the leaky couldron.

And since i know we have pixel whores in this forum:
Quote:
AOL Moivefone now has the trailer online in three glorious HD sizes:
# 480
# 720
# 1080
Choose your poison

The books do it for me as always, but I like seeing it in action, regardless of all the cuts and stupid lame ass 2hr 20mins rule (make it longer, damn you and stop trying to dumb it down for lame ass pg-13 ratings, or at least give us an uncut cert 12 (or 15) version in the UK!!)
*coughs*
But yeah, it's a very subdued trailer this time from the usual action thrils and spills, but it is still early days, it's something like out of a freaky psycho child thriller now, lol.
But this sets up the remainder of the plot for #7 so it's all good ^^

I remember reading this one and going 'woah on the teenage angst here' - but at 16, it's very very much all too common in the UK, technically I'm surprised they didn't start all that at 13/14, but then again what with the magic and learning and voldermort business to deal with

As for the furture movie release dates:
Quote:
David Yates (dir. for #5 and #6) will direct #7.1 and #7.2.

http://www.hpana.com/news.20389.html

It will be two films coming out in Nov 2010 and May 2011.
So just under three more years of HP goodness~~~

btw, Floridians, any news on the HP theme park yet, I hear it's supposed to open next year

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 16:52   Link #6
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I've never read the books but I saw the last 5 movies. So I guess I'm waiting for this one too. One more after this and it's done.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 17:00   Link #7
james0246

I guess the real question is how the film is going to deal with the Harry x Ginny romance.

Honestly, I am all for the film simply cutting out any romantic content. The first 5 films cut out any romance (nothing really about Cho, Fleur disappeared entirely after the 4th movie (and she is not scheduled to ever reappear (poor Bill)), even the married couples never show any romantic leanings), so I see no reason to focus on it now, especially since Ginny has had even less impact in the films than she had in the books (Luna, in the last film, had more lines than Ginny has had in 5 movies). Honestly, I have no desire to see any of Lavender x Ron either. If the film just fouses on Tom Riddle, and the encroaching Voldemort, all will be well.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 17:10   Link #8
Autumn Demon
~

There should be a movie forum on animesuki, mb. Six threads about movies on the first page of General Chat is kind of ridiculous.

Putting that aside... I thought the fifth HP movie was great, much better than the fourth movie. However, I didn't much like the sixth book the first time i read it. Strangely enough, i enjoyed it immensely when i re-read the entire series last summer.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 18:38   Link #9
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
The sixth book is when the series really started to go wrong, so pardon me for being slightly less interested in this movie due to my non-appreciation for the book .
I somewhat agree, though I consider Order of the Pheonix to be where the series started to go downhill. However, Half-Blood Prince is the worst book of the series. I will be interested in this film if they focus mostly on the Voldemort-Dumbledore-Harry scenes as well as the wizarding world vs. Voldemort plotline and downplay all the teenage "soap-opera/hormones" scenes. Perhaps then the film can manage to save the problems that the book had. Relationships and romance should have been left out of the series, this tone was established in the first few books, and even in GoF it was more or less "innocent" and not hormonal. Anyways, most of the directors haven't been too good, but I hope they get Cuaron back for the last one.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 18:40   Link #10
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

It's not really fair to compare the book to the movies as far as sub plots go. They do at least try to get some of it in, but there are really too many time constraints with fitting everything into two and a half hours (the last book is so large they have to make two movies, that should be an indicator). Honestly I think they do a pretty decent job of making sure everything major is covered, it really could be much worse.

This one looks pretty good and I'll probably enjoy it greatly, just like I did the others. I really want to see the duel. ^^

Quote:
There should be a movie forum on animesuki, mb. Six threads about movies on the first page of General Chat is kind of ridiculous.
As opposed to the various thread of news stories, politics, and relationships? These threads don't stay on the front page very long, and only get lots of posts when the movie premieres, at which point they die off again. Hardly worth creating a forum really. /shrug
Old 2008-08-06, 18:40   Link #11
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Finally I Been Waiting Since Last Summer <---Tears of Joy
Old 2008-08-06, 20:02   Link #12
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I wish the new Dumbledore has learned how to play at his age's level. Richard Harris, the initial Dumbledore was the perfect match for the character, from the 1st book, till the last. And, not to look like the first actor to play that character, Michael Gambon just crashed that version, and the version that made up the original character in the book. I wonder if he is aware of such wildness in the character he created. This version is like the Dumbledore that appears in front of Snape behind the door, which is to say not the real Dumbledore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
This one looks pretty good and I'll probably enjoy it greatly, just like I did the others. I really want to see the duel. ^^
Did you really enjoy the last one? It was a painful experience for me, and I cannot understand how can it be enjoyed even if you haven't read the book. There was almost no-stop in the movie, something is happening one moment, the next moment, another thing. And the worst part is, the connection between those parts were omitted as much as possible.

Quote:
It's not really fair to compare the book to the movies as far as sub plots go. They do at least try to get some of it in, but there are really too many time constraints with fitting everything into two and a half hours (the last book is so large they have to make two movies, that should be an indicator). Honestly I think they do a pretty decent job of making sure everything major is covered, it really could be much worse.
I think trying to fit in 2.5 hours is a big mistake. The 5th book, even though the longest one in the series, had dealed with a lot of emotional aspects, and for me, it was one of the best books. And, the movie ignored those parts. I found another example, it is like how the animes are summarized in blogs, captioning some pictures and writing summaries below it. That was exactly what happened in the movie (missing the tension and emotional density), and unfortunately for us, the software that was captioning the scenes had a bug that would let it skip scenes regularly.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 20:16   Link #13
Theowne
耳をすませば

All the movies were like that. They basically just brought individual scenes to the screen and left it at that. Columbus' Chamber of Secrets was the worst. That actually had great potential for emotional scenes but the director just plays out each scene methodically and leaves very little impact. Prisoner of Azkaban was the closest to actually making a film out of the books, but it hurried past some of the finer, clever details of the book. The problem is fitting in every detail that may become more important later.

I really hate Gambon's Dumbledore. He completely butchers the character - Dumbledore is supposed to be calm, wise, intelligent and witty. Gambon basically does the opposite.

Also the duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort at the end of the OotP film was bad. They both used advanced and clever magic but the film basically just reduced it to Ryu and Ken doing prolonged hadoukens on each other. You didn't get a sense that Voldie was immensely powerful but still fearful of Dumbledore, and that Dumbledore was perfectly calm until he possessed Harry.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 21:16   Link #14
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Actually yes, I liked the last one.

I never expect movie adaptations to be anything more than the "essence" of the original. I read books because my imagination allows more freedom than a directors vision does. It allows for more details and explanations that something with a time constraint simply cannot provide. Lord of the Rings tried it. As much as I loved the movies I just can't bring myself to watch them much.

It's not that I want movies to be breakneck speed with no explanation behind the whys or whats, but I do expect that the story will need to omit subplots and small details in favor of more generic over arching story.

I was disappointed with some of the story elements, for instance none of the movies really explain what the deal is with the map and the animus's. You are shown that it's important, but then the next movie rolls around and the subject is mostly dropped. The book covers this much better than the movie does, of course.

They also glossed over some of the Weasly story from the last movie, especially the connection with the Death Eater. That was also bothersome.

But for people who have never read the books, they won't notice these things missing. If they have read the books, then they already have the "superior" version and the movie is just cliffnotes. Perhaps in some cases the imagination is superior to that of the visual interpretation.
Old 2008-08-07, 07:08   Link #15
Amray

I read the first four books and then suddenly stopped. They just kept getting bigger and BIGGER! -__-

I have also seen the movies from 1-4. Why I have not yet watched five I do not know, although we have all of the films in a boxset. Very decent films though, and very quality novels. The Harry Potter series is truely epic and great and I am sure that this 6th movie will be good too.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 12:44   Link #16
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I'm very excited for this movie. The way the trailer portrayed the scene with Tom and Dumbledore is exactly how I pictured it in the book.

In case you guys do not know though, the 7th book will not be one, but two movies.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 12:57   Link #17
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
In case you guys do not know though, the 7th book will not be one, but two movies.
I'm really glad to hear that. I actually enjoyed ( and it seems like im in a minority here... ) the last two books a whole lot. Frankly speaking, I've found all the movies extremely rushed (just personal opinion..). Splitting into two movies is a great way to make sure everythings covered, and give the book the movie it deserves.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 13:34   Link #18
Zoned87
Mr. Awesome

I've read a few of the books and watched all the movies released so far. While im not extatic about it, I will probably watch it.
Zoned87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 21:06   Link #19
Sasuke_Bateman
No

I just hope they include everything from the past about Mr Riddle, they should leave anything out.
Sasuke_Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 21:57   Link #20
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasuke_Bateman View Post
I just hope they include everything from the past about Mr Riddle, they should leave anything out.
Spoiler:
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote