AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-07-09, 17:12   Link #2921
Skullchukka
Letter from lost days ~

Hello. I didn't want to make a new topic for this one, so I'll just ask here.

I have a long text file. Very long. I want to delete the lines starting with ";". They are around 11500. So far with 'Windows Grep' I have achieved of selecting them, however not the lines, only the lines starting with ";", but the ";" at the beginning, not the whole line itself..

Any help is much appreciated.

In other words;

^; lets me find the lines starting with ";"
Which commands makes me delete the whole desired line?
Skullchukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 17:15   Link #2922
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
a silly question I was wondering about while packing for my holiday tomorrow D:
its about calling to someone in another country, for example I know the number for Great Britain is 44, but I am a little confused about the international number, if I were to call this person do I have to dial 0044 (followed by the phone number itself)?

(00 is the international number for this country if I am correct)
I think you are getting the Country Code mixed up with the International Direct Dialing code.

The country code (i.e. 44 for the U.K.) is used to dial into a country.
The IDD code (i.e. 00 for the U.K.) is used to dial out of a country.

For example the IDD code (or prefix code) is 00 for most of Europe and 011 for the U.S.

If I was in the U.K. and wanted to phone China, then I would dial 0086 (00 is the U.K. IDD and 86 is the country code for China).

If I was in the U.S. and wanted to phone China, then I would dial 01186 (011 is the U.S. IDD and 86 is the country code for China).

If I was in Japan and wanted to phone China, then I would dial 01086 (010 is the Japanese IDD and 86 is the country code for China).

If I was in China and wanted to phone the U.K. then I would dial 0044 (00 is the Chinese IDD and 44 is the country code for the U.K.).

BTW, from the Wiki page "From a mobile device, one can use a "+" instead of the local IDD code, "+" is universal prefix for all international calls."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
In my experience from calling Shanghai's, I've only needed to dial China's international number, 011, and I think Shanghai's thing, 86. So I'd only have add the 01186 to the beginning of the number. That maybe wrong...
You definately are mixing up the country code and the IDD code. 011 is the IDD for the U.S. and 86 is the country code for China, the 011 allows you to dial out of the U.S. and the 86 allows you to dial into China. 01186 has nothing to do with Shanghai specifically.

BTW, when you dial international numbers you usually drop the leading 0 of the local number.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 21:39   Link #2923
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
Most anime females ( e.g. Lunamaria ) wear some kind of foot garment...

Is that a long sock or tights or a stocking ???

e.g.

Stockings, because they end at the upper thigh region. If they were leggings (tights) then they'd cover that region, but would likely stop somewhere around the calf or lower.

I've never seen socks that go that long, not to mention that socks generally aren't as form-fitting as tights or stockings (and partly as a result, nobody would use them as the sex appeal is lower).
Old 2009-07-10, 02:21   Link #2924
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
I think you are getting the Country Code mixed up with the International Direct Dialing code.

The country code (i.e. 44 for the U.K.) is used to dial into a country.
The IDD code (i.e. 00 for the U.K.) is used to dial out of a country.

For example the IDD code (or prefix code) is 00 for most of Europe and 011 for the U.S.

If I was in the U.K. and wanted to phone China, then I would dial 0086 (00 is the U.K. IDD and 86 is the country code for China).

If I was in the U.S. and wanted to phone China, then I would dial 01186 (011 is the U.S. IDD and 86 is the country code for China).

If I was in Japan and wanted to phone China, then I would dial 01086 (010 is the Japanese IDD and 86 is the country code for China).

If I was in China and wanted to phone the U.K. then I would dial 0044 (00 is the Chinese IDD and 44 is the country code for the U.K.).

BTW, from the Wiki page "From a mobile device, one can use a "+" instead of the local IDD code, "+" is universal prefix for all international calls."

You definately are mixing up the country code and the IDD code. 011 is the IDD for the U.S. and 86 is the country code for China, the 011 allows you to dial out of the U.S. and the 86 allows you to dial into China. 01186 has nothing to do with Shanghai specifically.

BTW, when you dial international numbers you usually drop the leading 0 of the local number.
so basically I would just have to use the 44+ and not the 0044+
I think I get it now =) thank a lot ojisan
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 06:40   Link #2925
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullchukka View Post
Which commands makes me delete the whole desired line?
I've never used grep on Windows, but if it supports the usual command-line switches, you can use the "-v" switch to tell it to output only the lines that don't match the pattern. Something like this:

C:\>grep -v '^;' oldfile > newfile

should put the lines without leading semicolons into newfile. (I think Windows, like most Unix shells, uses ">" to direct output to a file.)
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 12:16   Link #2926
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
so basically I would just have to use the 44+ and not the 0044+
I think I get it now =) thank a lot ojisan
This is totally incorrect and implies you still do not understand the principle

If you wish to dail an International number you always start with the IDD code (i.e. you would start with something like 00 or 010).

Let's make it easier, please tell us where you will be (in what country) and tell us where you want to dial (what country do you want to phone). We can then give you examples of what you should dial. Note: Please don't give us a "real" phone number, use an example like 01234 567890 but give use real examples of what country you will be in and what country you want to dial.

For example, let's say I wanted to call a U.K. number (01234 567 890) while I was in France.

I would therefore phone 00 44 1234 567 890

00 = the local IDD code for France (you need this to dial out of the country).
44 = the country code for the U.K. (you need this do dail into the desired country)
1234 = the area code (please note the leading "0" has been removed on purpose).
567 890 = example phone number.

If you were phoning from a mobile then instead of using 00441234567890, you could dail +4412345678790 (you actually start with the plus sign, "+", when dialing from the mobile). Either method works from a mobile phone. When using the "+" from a mobile you do not need to remember or know what the local IDD code is since the mobile "knows" that it means you want to dial out of the country.

Maybe that's why we are getting confused, you said "I would just have to use the 44+ and not the 0044+". Maybe there is some confusion over the use of the character "+" here. When I use the "+" character, I actually mean you press the "+" key on the phone. You would never start an International call with 44<number> or 44+<number>, you must either use 0044<number> or +44<number> (or at least the correct IDD code followed by the country code followed by the phone number).
Old 2009-07-10, 13:29   Link #2927
Clarste
Human

How do you drink alcohol? It tastes horrible. I've tried beer, wine, sake, etc, and they all taste exactly the same because the bitterness of the alcohol overpowers everything else. I've heard that people drink to get drunk and not for the taste, but I find that its too disgusting to keep drinking. Is it an acquired taste (in that your taste buds eventually die), or is there some genetic factor that causes me to taste it more strongly or something?

Also, I have to raise my eyebrow at the idea of being a wine connoisseur. Alcohol is anything but subtle in my experience.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 13:34   Link #2928
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I would say its a per person thing, just like you have people who like X food and people who hate it same applies for drinks (of any kind; not limited to alcoholic). That said in the case of alcohol you are correct, I can't give you a % but trust me in that a lot of it is not made to be tasted or flavored but rather just your average drug.
Old 2009-07-10, 19:49   Link #2929
Crisis
Rock on ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Stockings, because they end at the upper thigh region. If they were leggings (tights) then they'd cover that region, but would likely stop somewhere around the calf or lower.

I've never seen socks that go that long, not to mention that socks generally aren't as form-fitting as tights or stockings (and partly as a result, nobody would use them as the sex appeal is lower).

Tnx mate. So, most anime females wear stockings for the sex appeal then?

Some people might think Japanese girls like stockings hehe
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 20:06   Link #2930
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
How do you drink alcohol? It tastes horrible.
Agreed - I can't stand the stuff. I also don't find the idea of being drunk appealing, either. Stay awake for two days straight and, from a physiological standpoint, your brain functions as though it were drunk. I've never become drunk off of alcohol but I've certainly suffered through two (once even three) sleepless nights, and if that experience is anything to go by, getting drunk isn't really my idea of fun.

Very few people like it for the taste. There are ways to get around that. A common one is to have something with a strong taste to offset that of the alcohol. I've seen some people take a bite of a pickle (yet another terrible tasting object, in my opinion) and then take a drink (not sure if they swallow the pickle first). Others try to hide the taste by mixing their drink with orange juice; still others use lemons or limes to hide the taste, in a manner similar to the use of the pickle that I mentioned before, I believe. Fancy drinks often have the lip of the glass coated heavily with salt, which I believe is also done in an effort to offset the foul taste.

I've never tried any of those tips - those are just things I've observed. I still don't see the appeal behind alcohol, especially given its cost and relative uselessness. But then, I'm not a partier, nor am I incapable of making conservation outside of telling drunk stories or requiring alcohol in my system to be social.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
Tnx mate. So, most anime females wear stockings for the sex appeal then?

Some people might think Japanese girls like stockings hehe
Why do most anime females wear stockings? I have no idea. Why did the creators draw them that way? Maybe because they think it looks nice; maybe because they have a stocking fetish. I can't tell you for certain what the thinking was behind drawing them that way. All that I can say for certain is that many character designers are male, and that stockings/leggings do have a certain appeal behind them (whether in anime or in real life).
Old 2009-07-10, 23:54   Link #2931
FateAnomaly

Maybe they are just cold with the short skirts they always wear.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 01:53   Link #2932
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Why did the creators draw them that way?
I suspect the main reason there are is such a variety of socks, leggings and stocking drawn in manga / anime is so that it's easier for the viewer to distinguish between the characters. Same reason we have such outlandish hair styles and hair colour.
Old 2009-07-11, 03:45   Link #2933
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Stay awake for two days straight and, from a physiological standpoint, your brain functions as though it were drunk.
No. I periodically have to stay awake for what are periods of 35h - 42h, very rarely more, trust me its not the same thing. The observable symptoms may look the same but otherwise its totally different then when you're drunk.

Quote:
Very few people like it for the taste.
Go to Russia they even drink the medical stuff there =P

Usually you drink it to offset the taste of the food. Alcohol kills some of the taste you build up in your mouth so you can flavor it more (supposedly), its also like liquid spice to some. This applies to wine and flavors of pure alcohol (basically stuff that burn in your trout), though from my experience beer doesn't count since it just makes you drunk faster then any other flavor.

The other common use (as far as people are concern) is to take a sip when its freezing outside so as to keep warm.
I think I should mention by freezing think of snow up to your knee not some cold morning.
Old 2009-07-11, 04:31   Link #2934
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
How do you drink alcohol? It tastes horrible. I've tried beer, wine, sake, etc, and they all taste exactly the same because the bitterness of the alcohol overpowers everything else. I've heard that people drink to get drunk and not for the taste, but I find that its too disgusting to keep drinking. Is it an acquired taste (in that your taste buds eventually die), or is there some genetic factor that causes me to taste it more strongly or something?

Also, I have to raise my eyebrow at the idea of being a wine connoisseur. Alcohol is anything but subtle in my experience.
Its not necessarily an "acquired" taste.. just because *you* find it unlikeable doesn't mean others agree or can't taste the difference. Since you're saying that such wildly different tastes as beer, sake, and wine "all taste alike" --- all I can say is you've saved yourself a lot of money to spend on other things. Those things taste *nothing* alike to many people.

My wife loathes beer because of the hops flavor, but loves sake. She likes unfiltered sake better than filtered. She hates most wines except for chianti, mead, and a few desert wines.

I happen to like scotch.... whereas I can't stand most tequilas. I prefer stout (very dark thick beer) over most other beers but I'm somewhat fond of asian beers (which are extremely thin clear beers).

On the other hand, milk tastes rotted to me no matter how fresh and cold it is.
Old 2009-07-11, 04:53   Link #2935
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh, Same.
Old 2009-07-11, 07:08   Link #2936
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Since you're saying that such wildly different tastes as beer, sake, and wine "all taste alike" --- all I can say is you've saved yourself a lot of money to spend on other things. Those things taste *nothing* alike to many people.
My first experience with "beer" was right after my passing out ceremony from Officer Cadet School. A free flow of Tiger throughout the night. A good number of us, including me, literally "passed out" that night.

But, in truth, I hated the taste of it. That tangy, chemically bitter aftertaste that clung to my palate, tongue, teeth and gums — I strongly disliked it. That nauseating feeling of too much alcohol forcing its way back out my gullet — that wasn't too ejoyable either.

At the time, I couldn't imagine how anyone could enjoy "beer".

But that changed after I started studying in Britain and discovered real ale. And ooooh boooy, did things really change after that. I discovered a country of people who shared my dislike of lager and instead relished a good English pint of Kilkenny (frothy, creamy goodness) or Boddington (full-flavoured hops with a good creamy head).

In short, even among beers — lager or otherwise — there can be great differences in flavours (Stella Artois, for example, is one of the better-tasting lagers out there). Enjoying alcohol is, perhaps, an acquired taste. I definitely prefer ale over lager, because of the stronger, natural flavour of hops. And I'd always love a pint of good Irish stout — it has the flavour of a cup of strong coffee coupled with a satisfying kick. And it's so thick that it's probably more accurate to say that you eat it rather than drink it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
...from my experience beer doesn't count since it just makes you drunk faster then any other flavor.
The alcohol content in beer typically ranges between 4 and 6 per cent. Technically, drinking a lot of beer is more likely to send you to the bathroom (to take a piss) than get you drunk. Those who are in rush to get high tend to prefer vodka instead, which typically has an alcohol content of around 40 per cent. Vodka has the advantage of being almost tasteless and it mixes well with a variety of sodas, making it far more palatable.

Quote:
I happen to like scotch.... whereas I can't stand most tequilas.
Whereas I absolutely abhor hard liquor. The taste of alcohol in most such beverages is simply too overpowering for me. And I'm certainly very glad that I don't have to entertain guests like they do in China or South Korea — Asian liquour (I'm not talking about sake here; sake is child's play compared to, say, maotai) is usually very rough for both the palate and the throat, lacking the redeeming smoothness of scotch or brandy.

Quote:
I love milk. Milk is good. Builds strong bones. Tastes yummy too, especially full-cream milk.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 08:07   Link #2937
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
I suspect the main reason there are is such a variety of socks, leggings and stocking drawn in manga / anime is so that it's easier for the viewer to distinguish between the characters. Same reason we have such outlandish hair styles and hair colour.
Maybe that's true, but it's also an otaku meme, the "zettai ryouiki" or "absolute terror zone." Taken from Evangelion (the "AT" field), the term refers to the area of a girl's thigh above the stocking but below the skirt. A Google search for "zettai ryouiki" turns up a number of pages; this one provides a useful overview (or underview if you prefer).
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 08:34   Link #2938
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Maybe that's true, but it's also an otaku meme, the "zettai ryouiki" or "absolute terror zone." Taken from Evangelion (the "AT" field), the term refers to the area of a girl's thigh above the stocking but below the skirt. A Google search for "zettai ryouiki" turns up a number of pages; this one provides a useful overview (or underview if you prefer).
Except that's a recent phenomenon. I suspect the origins in the use of the different leg wear was simply to help identify characters and it started well before the term otaku has it's current usage, let along the term "zettai ryouiki".
Old 2009-07-11, 09:11   Link #2939
oompa loompa

Quote:

I guess it is an acquired taste, and I cant lie, sometimes liquors can taste so bad that I dont see how its worth getting drunk. On the other hand, (in my opinion at least..) there are plenty of very good tasting alcoholic drinks. Ever tried irish cream? Theres also a great Belgian beer.. err.. whats it called.. Leffe, if I'm not mistaken. Good wine is, really good - if you cant stomach regular wines, maybe you should give sweet wines a taste? As far as hard liquor.. hmm, I guess sherry tastes good?

It really does depend on your taste, I genuinely like the taste of beer - its refreshing, and when chilled really does bring about a nice feeling. On the other hand I have friends who love the taste of harder liquors - for example, a very good friend of mine will only have water with his rum, he cant stand mixing it to dull the taste.

Still, its not like the taste is stellar. I guess beer is an exception, but if you didnt get anything out of it no one would drink it. And its not like anyone has to drink bottles of it, alcohol can be plenty fun even without being 'wasted'

Quote:
Stay awake for two days straight and, from a physiological standpoint, your brain functions as though it were drunk. I've never become drunk off of alcohol but I've certainly suffered through two (once even three) sleepless nights, and if that experience is anything to go by, getting drunk isn't really my idea of fun.
As a sufferer of chronic insomnia, I can testify that the two are very different .

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2009-07-11 at 09:22.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 09:23   Link #2940
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
No. I periodically have to stay awake for what are periods of 35h - 42h, very rarely more, trust me its not the same thing. The observable symptoms may look the same but otherwise its totally different then when you're drunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
As a sufferer of chronic insomnia, I can testify that the two are very different .
What I'm mentioning wasn't based on user experience, but monitoring of brain activity between individuals that were drunk vs. individuals that were sleep deprived for 48 hours. Brain functionality was similar (or perhaps just similarly reduced). If you have the experience then I'll have to take your words for it, but I'm wary of one thing:

There was another interesting study done that examined whether the effects of alcohol were due to the alcohol itself, or something more. Participants in the study were put into a room and given a fake beer that contained no alcohol content - however, they weren't told this. As they drank they began to exhibit behavior of being intoxicated, becoming more social and all. Somewhat humorously, when told that what they'd drank contained no alcohol, their behavior "sobered up" right away.

You can't detect a placebo effect on yourself. I'd just wonder if the experiences you claim are different really because they are different, or because you expect alcohol to make you act and feel one way while you expect sleep deprivation to make you act and feel another.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious