AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-04-19, 05:23   Link #281
Arturro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Yup, that very much sums it up.
Remember the basis of the Dragon god/Misaki no Miko belief within this story is an ethnological ritual isolated on an island where the people still holds true to that belief system similar to Tibetian Buddhism believing that each Dali Lama is an reincarnating soul of the original.

One thing I notice that is different is that the madiens are offered as servants in which the dragon god selects one or more as his wife since Nagi's mother once selected as the Misaki no Miko later left the island to marry Nagi's father later to give birth to Nagi. Which I do not understand the dynamics of.
I suppose there is "time limit" for each maiden. It's not smart, on a isolated island, "to lose" 3 young women in each generation. So when they mature enought (probably mid twenties) they stop to be a maiden, and can marry ang give birth. As we've seen, there is about 10 girls on whole island, so excluding 1/3 of womens from reproducition is unnacceptable.

I don't understand, why Nagi have to choose one of them as his lover. All 3 girs already are his wives. Human laws do not apply to gods, so why Nagi couldn't have 3 wives?
Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 07:53   Link #282
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
I suppose there is "time limit" for each maiden. It's not smart, on a isolated island, "to lose" 3 young women in each generation. So when they mature enought (probably mid twenties) they stop to be a maiden, and can marry ang give birth. As we've seen, there is about 10 girls on whole island, so excluding 1/3 of womens from reproducition is unnacceptable.

I don't understand, why Nagi have to choose one of them as his lover. All 3 girs already are his wives. Human laws do not apply to gods, so why Nagi couldn't have 3 wives?
As you can see in my post, I never limited to one girl.

As for allowing a maiden to step down creates new complications for as I wrote the dragon god is like the Dalai Lama and is reincarnated the same time the prior dragon dies so the seat of dragon god is in theory always occupied.
If a maiden is allowed to step down then do they offer another maiden to take her place since each maiden represents a vital ritual meaning?

The reproduction theory also holds problem, if the dragon god can possess three girls then he is "hogging" 1/3 of the precious resource so to speak.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 10:52   Link #283
Direwolf18

Personally cause these are the first maidens that actually have a dragon god on hand in a long while, I am going to assume that they are lifers.

I had assumed the maiden thing was something passed down from mother to daughter, cause of the whole grandmothers being former maidens. But there is a missing generation and that has been the recurring question lately.
Direwolf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 11:27   Link #284
Arturro

Quote:
As you can see in my post, I never limited to one girl.

As for allowing a maiden to step down creates new complications for as I wrote the dragon god is like the Dalai Lama and is reincarnated the same time the prior dragon dies so the seat of dragon god is in theory always occupied.
Not exactly. Dalai Lama is reincarnated the same time the prior Dalai Lama dies. dragon god is not. To be a dragon god one must be:
- a boy born from former Maiden;
- a boy born the same day of the year the former Dragon god died. Not the same day! DG before Nagi died long time ago.
I assume it's maidens duty to find a husband and to born as many children as possible, in hope of giving birth to a boy. If I remeber correctly maidens give birth only to girls - with exception of dragon god. BTW - that is, till now, only supernatural thing in that manga.

Quote:
The reproduction theory also holds problem, if the dragon god can possess three girls then he is "hogging" 1/3 of the precious resource so to speak.
Womens are not the "resource", childrens are. Society to survive needs childrens. Number of childrens depens on number of young womens and "technicaly" one male is enought for hundrets of females. "Unlucky" boys will have to find wives on another islands.
Old 2009-04-20, 22:41   Link #285
Racketman

Man, I'm hoping this nice slow-paced harem romance thing isn't just a sneaky set up for nice boats. I'm liking it as is.
Racketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 01:01   Link #286
passin'gass
Cropduster

I'm confused on the timeline of assumption of the 3 current Maidens and Nagi's mom. Did this occur soon after the former Dragon God died @17 years ago? Did he die young? If not, did one of the Maidens die of old age/disease and was replaced by Nagi's mom? If so, she would have started at a VERY young age (pedobear, back off!) And what were the circumstances for her leaving the island?

So many
passin'gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 05:20   Link #287
Wargumm1i
Hentai

I dont think Nagi´s mother served the Dragon god, i think Nagi´s the first Dragon god in over 100 years.
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 07:13   Link #288
Arturro

Chapter 9: "the three maidens":
- Goto Nagi mother (Okitsu Miyako) was Cape Maiden;
- Maidens tends to give birth to girls, boys are a rarity;
- Shisuku, Soyogi and Karin are daughters of previous Maidens (I'm not sure if translation and my understanding of that part is correct - Tri-ring, could you confirm please?, it's on page 7);
- the DG is born the same day the previous DG dies - I'm not sure if it means, DG reincarnates in the exact moment of his death (like Dalai Lama), or it's in the same day of the year, but may happen many year later. It's on pages 8 and 9, page 8 alone suggest first option, but page 9 confirms second. Tri-ring could you confirm translation of that 3 pages for us? Pretty please
Old 2009-04-21, 07:45   Link #289
recursion
running out of stack

Did...did Soyogi slip Nagi some tongue at the end of 38?

Go Soyogi!

(Oh, 38 is out, BTW)
recursion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 08:03   Link #290
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by recursion View Post

Go Soyogi!

(Oh, 38 is out, BTW)
I think she did, she def my fav of the series, I love a long haired megane-chan!!!

I only picked this up the other day, altho I did read first 2 chapters while back never got round to the rest till now.
Old 2009-04-21, 12:03   Link #291
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Somehow, when it comes to the 4th wheel(which is the girl that 1)is outside of the main girls OR 2)is late with liking the main protagonist, that usually only gets a single chance with the male lead), I never expected another Soyagi-based chapter. Well, with this, she's finally caught up to the level of intimacy that Karen and Shizuku, and Kisaragi has. I wonder, did she initiate the kiss, or was it simultaneous? Because all of a sudden, Nagi looks shocked, like he wasn't expecting that. Unless it was the french kiss like recursion pointed out, I can only guess that it wasn't his intention to kiss her, which would make no sense, so I'll go with the french kiss theory =_=.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 12:40   Link #292
Direwolf18

Quote:
Originally Posted by recursion View Post

Go Soyogi!

(Oh, 38 is out, BTW)
Yea I really think she did. Wow go Soyogi.
Direwolf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 16:46   Link #293
cyberdemon

Quote:
- Shisuku, Soyogi and Karin are daughters of previous Maidens (I'm not sure if translation and my understanding of that part is correct - Tri-ring, could you confirm please?, it's on page 7)
I don't think this is right. If the current cape maidens are daughters of the previous cape maidens, judging by their ages it would be the same group Nagi's mother was in. If there is 3 maidensper generation and none of the current ones appear to be related then that would mean that one might be Nagi's sister.

I looked through the chapter and saw what you might have misunderstood. The part where she was talking about the cape maidens giving birth to girls in large numbers and then suddenly saying that was what karin, Shizuku, and Soyogi are. That was just saying what those 3 as Cape Maidens go through not that they are a product of cape maiden birth.
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 19:11   Link #294
Tri-ring

Quote:
Chapter 9: "the three maidens":
- Goto Nagi mother (Okitsu Miyako) was Cape Maiden;
- Maidens tends to give birth to girls, boys are a rarity;
- Shisuku, Soyogi and Karin are daughters of previous Maidens (I'm not sure if translation and my understanding of that part is correct - Tri-ring, could you confirm please?, it's on page 7);
- the DG is born the same day the previous DG dies - I'm not sure if it means, DG reincarnates in the exact moment of his death (like Dalai Lama), or it's in the same day of the year, but may happen many year later. It's on pages 8 and 9, page 8 alone suggest first option, but page 9 confirms second. Tri-ring could you confirm translation of that 3 pages for us? Pretty please
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
I don't think this is right. If the current cape maidens are daughters of the previous cape maidens, judging by their ages it would be the same group Nagi's mother was in. If there is 3 maidensper generation and none of the current ones appear to be related then that would mean that one might be Nagi's sister.

I looked through the chapter and saw what you might have misunderstood. The part where she was talking about the cape maidens giving birth to girls in large numbers and then suddenly saying that was what karin, Shizuku, and Soyogi are. That was just saying what those 3 as Cape Maidens go through not that they are a product of cape maiden birth.
OK Chapter 9 5th page(page199 in volume1) Nagumo Yae the elder, starts that there is a strange thing that most priestess of the Misaki bears a female child like Shizuku, Soyogi and Karin.
On page 200 Yae continues that rarely a male offspring from priestess of the Misaki is born which through oral legend is said to be the reincarnated soul of the dragon god.
Nagi ask out of confusion that just because a boy is born does not automatically means he is the reincarnated soul of the dragon god do it?
Yae continues that she is told that the dragon god's reincarnation occurs the same day the past dragon god passes away.
The prior dragon god past away on September 23rd and asks Nagi his birthday.

Although she did not ask Nagi the year I think she already knows since he is the same age as Karin.
Old 2009-04-21, 20:52   Link #295
recursion
running out of stack

I think it is pretty clear that all 3 current maidens are the offspring of previous maidens. I agree, though, that this raises a bit of a mystery: If there are 3, and only 3, maiden bloodlines, it would imply that Nagi is related to one of the 3.

The most obvious process for succession between maidens is that the eldest daughter of one Maiden fills her place once she is old enough. If this were the only way for a girl to become a Maiden, and there are only ever 3 Maidens, then the fact that Nagi's Mom was a Maiden would guarantee that he is the brother of one of the current Maidens.

There are other possibilities, though. It is certain that the cult would have a mechanism for replacing a Maiden line if it was terminated for some reason. Otherwise, if a maiden died before giving birth, there would be no way to replace the missing Maiden. If Nagi's Mom left the island before giving birth and never came back, then the elders probably selected another woman to fill her place. That woman then gave birth to one of the three current Maidens.

Another possibility is that there are usually 4 maidens, but Nagi's Mom taking off reduced it to 3 in this generation. Perhaps the elders would select 2 daughters from the next generation to be Maidens, or they would elect one.

It's an interesting mystery, though, and one that again highlights how little we know about their parents!
Old 2009-04-22, 00:47   Link #296
cyberdemon

Quote:
OK Chapter 9 5th page(page199 in volume1) Nagumo Yae the elder, starts that there is a strange thing that most priestess of the Misaki bears a female child like Shizuku, Soyogi and Karin.
To me it looks more like she's just pointing out that Shizuku, Karin, and Soyogi were cape maidens to Nagi after describing the cape maidens rather than saying that they were born from cape maidens. The line seems to lean in either direction though. I'd say more information is really needed to determine just how new cape maidens are decided on.

Here's something i noticed while looking back. I wonder if it's just coincidence or if there is some reason that Nagi's mother's last name is that of the island. No one else has the name Okitsu.

Last edited by cyberdemon; 2009-04-22 at 01:03.
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 01:47   Link #297
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
To me it looks more like she's just pointing out that Shizuku, Karin, and Soyogi were cape maidens to Nagi after describing the cape maidens rather than saying that they were born from cape maidens. The line seems to lean in either direction though. I'd say more information is really needed to determine just how new cape maidens are decided on.
Source material

Yae's words in Japanese;

巫女から生まれるものは女子が圧倒的に多い
雫やそよぎ、火凛がそうであるように

The latter part of the second sentence means "like XXX are"
The first sentences states that offsprings from priestess of the Misaki are overwhelming female.

Shizuku, Soyogi and Karin are named as example within the second sentence of Yae's first statment making their mothers priestess of the Misaki.
Old 2009-04-22, 04:22   Link #298
Arturro

Quote:
On page 200 Yae continues that rarely a male offspring from priestess of the Misaki is born which through oral legend is said to be the reincarnated soul of the dragon god.
[...]
Yae continues that she is told that the dragon god's reincarnation occurs the same day the past dragon god passes away.
[...]
Although she did not ask Nagi the year I think she already knows since he is the same age as Karin.
That part is still confusing for me. "oral tradition" and "she is told" indicates, that Yae has never seen dragon god before. "Same day" suggest that last DG died when Nagi was born.

@recursion
There is another option. There are probably 3 maternal family lines of Maidens, and Maidens are born from one of those families, not necessary from a Maiden. In other words Rinne (Karin sister) daughter could be also a Maiden. Co Nagi is a cousin of one, or more of current Maidens.

@cyberdemon
Interesting, Maidens names relates to elements they represent.
Old 2009-04-22, 06:23   Link #299
Tri-ring

Quote:
That part is still confusing for me. "oral tradition" and "she is told" indicates, that Yae has never seen dragon god before. "Same day" suggest that last DG died when Nagi was born.
The oral tradition and what she had been told is about "HOW" the dragon god is reincarnated not who it was.
She probably met the prior dragon god 18 years ago before Nagi was born.
Old 2009-04-22, 07:09   Link #300
recursion
running out of stack

Quote:
The oral tradition and what she had been told is about "HOW" the dragon god is reincarnated not who it was.
She probably met the prior dragon god 18 years ago before Nagi was born.
Gotta disagree with you on this one. We can see in the bottom frame here that it has been "hundreds of years" since there was an incarnation of the dragon god. So unless there is something mysterious in the Japanese source (always possible), there is nobody living on the island who has seen an incarnation before. They just know the day of the year that the previous incarnation died.

Of course, this information is right beside Karin's half-naked ass, and right before a fully naked waist-up shot. One might be forgiven for being distracted.

Tags
ecchi, harem, romance, rural, seinen