AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-02-02, 03:08   Link #321
Smeckledorf
Intellectual Rapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
My notes have Eva leaving the library at 9:37 and arriving at the gold at 10:00. 2 km in ~20 min == 6 km / hr == 3.7 mi/hr. That's walking speed.
I don't know about that, back in high school I had to power walk a mile and 10-12 minutes was pretty good time, so I think 5mi/hr is technically power walking. My point being I think Eva would be more careful trying to slink around and pay close attention to every turn or movement she had to make to reach her destination.
I also doubt that the gold is at Kuwadorian.
Smeckledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 15:03   Link #322
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeckledorf View Post
I don't know about that, back in high school I had to power walk a mile and 10-12 minutes was pretty good time, so I think 5mi/hr is technically power walking. My point being I think Eva would be more careful trying to slink around and pay close attention to every turn or movement she had to make to reach her destination.
I also doubt that the gold is at Kuwadorian.
But she was also fairly confident about her solution to the epitaph, so she might've been a little eager to find it.
Think about it. You're on the verge of finding 20 billion yen worth of gold. How many people would be able to keep a calm sense about them with that amount of money so close to them?

Let's see here... I can't remember the specific conversion, but I think it's about 1.2 km to a mile... so in about twenty minutes, she could cover maybe 1.2-1.6 km if she was hurrying, less if she wasn't. So unless Ryukishi is ignoring the laws of physics, there's no way she could reach the Kuwadorian.

Just a random thought. What if the underground pathway to the Kuwadorian had a divergence in it, and that led to the gold? Because in Episode 4, Goldsmith says solving the epitaph is forbidden, and the well is completely sealed off.
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 00:02   Link #323
Kakera of Fate
Great Equalizer

Send a message via MSN to Kakera of Fate
Just throwing this out here; I know we might've gone over it in the past, but what about the chapel?

These last points fit it... it doesn't seem so far that Eva couldn't reach it fast, it has this whole Quadrillion thing about it and everything. I don't know, I haven't made much of a theory yet but I'm working on that side... And I can't understand japanese so chapel for me is 6 characters and even if it's a red herring I'd follow it for a bit just for kicks. I'm also believing that EP2 has some hints too, first twilight took place in the very same chapel. On the table there was a jack-o-lantern... with a little part of the gold inside of it. It might look too simple, but I'm trying to dumb it down as much as I can, after all, it's a childish riddle... isn't it?

The gold could had come from anywhere, but it's just a feeling I got about the chapel.
Kakera of Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 04:16   Link #324
TheWatcher

the chapel was brought up before. but
Quote:
These last points fit it... it doesn't seem so far that Eva couldn't reach it fast, it has this whole Quadrillion thing about it and everything. I don't know, I haven't made much of a theory yet but I'm working on that side... And I can't understand japanese so chapel for me is 6 characters and even if it's a red herring I'd follow it for a bit just for kicks. I'm also believing that EP2 has some hints too, first twilight took place in the very same chapel. On the table there was a jack-o-lantern... with a little part of the gold inside of it. It might look too simple, but I'm trying to dumb it down as much as I can, after all, it's a childish riddle... isn't it?
Spoiler for EP1:
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 04:26   Link #325
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I think Ryukishi made it so there were 3 ingots in the chapel to made it clear that they were from the mountain of gold. If it was just one you could say it's Krauss' ingot, but there's three of them.

According to what we know and what Krauss said himself there is only one ingot that ever left the mountain of gold and that's the one that Kinzo gave to a Bank representative so he could analyze it and confirm its worth. That's the very same ingot that Krauss managed to get back.

Of course you could still say that there were other ingots around despite what everyone knows, but it was never said and it is easier to think they just come from the mountain of gold.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-12, 08:19   Link #326
Dlanor A. Knox
Crazy but OK xP

This is kinda random:
but why is there even a chapel at the island? and about Goldsmith saying that it is forbidden to solve the etitaph: why would he place the riddle where everybody can see it?
doesn't make real sense....
I kinda missed this forum...YAY I'm back
Dlanor A. Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-12, 08:24   Link #327
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Eeeeh? When Kinzo said it's forbidden to solve the epitaph? XD

What Kinzo forbid was to go near to the chapel, but that was a lot of time before when the adults were still children.

As to why there is a chapel, well that's anyone's guess. It doesn't look like there is anyone who is christian among the Ushiromiya... Maybe the original Beatrice was? If she was italian that's a quite probable, but in that case the chapel should have been built near the kuwadorian.

Old 2010-02-12, 08:27   Link #328
Dlanor A. Knox
Crazy but OK xP

Ah well you get my point right xD
kinda have to type quick since im in class so i mae mistakes...
and wouldnt Beato be more Katholiek (did i type it right?)
Dlanor A. Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-12, 09:16   Link #329
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Catholic, yeah... italians especially from the first years of 20th century were almost all catholic, but then again a woman claiming to be a witch wasn't probably a strict believer. And it is still a mere conjecture that Beatrice was italian.

Old 2010-02-12, 15:15   Link #330
matteas
Member Member

I suppose it's quite plausible that the chapel was built for the original Beatrice. As for the question why it wasn't built near Kuwadorian, chapel is a huge, huge building. It would be too high of a risk to build it somewhere by Kuwadorian, since it could be easily spotted from somewhere. For example from a passing plane, or even from a boat. It's much more prudent to build it near the mansion, so that everyone knows about it. That way, there's nothing hidden to be revealed. No risk for Kinzo, or maybe just a tiny bit of risk, incomparable with the aforementioned one.
matteas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 05:40   Link #331
goldenlove27
Tortured Pet

Okay I have little to no understanding of the Japanese language but I think I know what the 11/13 character word is. I may be wrong but it might start some ideas...

Spoiler for 11/13:
goldenlove27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 08:15   Link #332
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Heh it's actually a viable option. It appears that the original japanese sentence can be also read as:

from "first twilight" lift up as a sacrifice the six chosen by the key.

of course it is actually "第一の晩" and it might be subjected to different translations. "first twilight" is 13 letters but so is "the first night". The problem with both of them is that it's quite hard to find a "name" using those characters.

Old 2010-02-13, 09:34   Link #333
matteas
Member Member

In case 第一の晩 was the starting phrase, "DAIICHI NO BAN" might work as well. It may look like 12 characters, but for example in my native language, it would be 11 characters, because we have a special character "CH" which stands between H and I in alphabet.
Old 2010-02-13, 11:05   Link #334
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well in italian the "CH" sound in front of "i" and "e" is written just "C", so that would be "daiicinoban"

but you don't even need to look for strange languages, if you use the kunrei system you write it: "daiiti no ban"

Old 2010-02-13, 13:26   Link #335
matteas
Member Member

Oh, of course, kunrei shiki. It has completely slipped off my mind. So we could use "t" or "c" or possibly "ch". But "ch" is the least likely because the letter "ch" isn't pronounced as "tʃ" but as "kh", like in German "ich".

So, where would we get with "daiiti no ban"?
Old 2010-02-15, 13:53   Link #336
Solachinx
is a myth

So, how funny would it be if the fortune was hidden somewhere simple like behind the potrait or in Kinzo's Study? That'd be an epic troll IMO
Old 2010-02-16, 05:21   Link #337
ChibiBear
Aim's Stalker ^_~

Send a message via MSN to ChibiBear
But Ryukishi likes trolling right
Old 2010-02-17, 02:30   Link #338
TheWatcher

Quote:
This is kinda random:
but why is there even a chapel at the island?
I think they said a monk built it before it Kinzo bought it.

It is highly unlikely for the gold to be behind to portrait as when Eva found it how would she get it down without getting it damaged. You can see later that it is not.

Also the Epitaph cannot be solved by people who don't know Japanese, even with translations. So no English
Old 2010-02-17, 02:31   Link #339
TheWatcher

Also where is every1 getting EP5 i can't find it.
Old 2010-02-17, 04:57   Link #340
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
I think they said a monk built it before it Kinzo bought it.

It is highly unlikely for the gold to be behind to portrait as when Eva found it how would she get it down without getting it damaged. You can see later that it is not.

Also the Epitaph cannot be solved by people who don't know Japanese, even with translations. So no English
No no, the "torii" was built by a monk. that one is gone after supposedly being struck by a lightning. The chapel is another thing, 'though now that you mention it, it was never said when it was built.

And I wouldn't say "No english". Certainly it is very probable that there are some double entendre in the epitaph that can't reallly be translated, or that you need to have in mind the kanji to get to the solution.
But it's also quite probable that the initial sentence and the characters elimination is in english.