AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-04-29, 02:47   Link #3381
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

I'm glad Newcastle stunningly lost. While it would be refreshing to see them in the CL, there's no way I want them catching Arsenal.
Old 2012-04-29, 05:28   Link #3382
Bri

I didn't know that Chelsea would get the 4th PL spot for next year's CL if they win it this year. Rules seem to have changed since 2005 when Everton did get the slot. Guess if Newcastle/Spurs end up fourth they will be hoping for a Bayern win.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 16:08   Link #3383
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Well played & well deserved city, that match really reminded me of last years FA cup match between city and utd as in it was probably boring for neutrals but tense as hell for either teams supporters like me ugh think I have grown a full head of grey hair and bit off all my finger nails after that match...STILL theres 2 games left and anything can happen. UNITED UNITED UNITED!!!
Old 2012-04-30, 17:42   Link #3384
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Yeah, the match itself was pretty boring but City deserves the win, MU played pretty badly there. Congrats to Kompany as well. The title decider is when City goes against Newcastle though, though this is a significant push for City. Really, you can even say that all this goal difference is the result of the 6-1 thumping earlier in the season.
Old 2012-04-30, 19:29   Link #3385
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Now I am torn. I want Newcastle to grab a CL spot (at expense of Chelsea and Tottenham). I also don't want Man Utd to win the league (because MU won it so many times already). Here is hoping both Manchester teams lose their next game.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 10:22   Link #3386
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i would rather United win than Citeh. doesn't sit right with me that they can buy trophies.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 17:51   Link #3387
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i would rather United win than Citeh. doesn't sit right with me that they can buy trophies.
Chelsea have been doing it since Abramovich got there. To an extent, most of the big clubs do it.
Old 2012-05-01, 17:55   Link #3388
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

United has a debt the size of Argentina's foreign debt, but no one criticizes them that they pay 8 for a random portuguese from the 2nd division.

But City go and buy Silva for 28M and the whole world goes insane.

City deserve the title, United is a bunch of bollockery that was popular for winning titles. Since they won titles, no one argued against them paying sick numbers for players, of course when people started to do the same ( Chelsea and Man City, who have lower debt levels ) they start pointing at them.

Get your facts straight.

Niker

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 19:12   Link #3389
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niker117 View Post
United has a debt the size of Argentina's foreign debt, but no one criticizes them that they pay 8 for a random portuguese from the 2nd division.

But City go and buy Silva for 28M and the whole world goes insane.

City deserve the title, United is a bunch of bollockery that was popular for winning titles. Since they won titles, no one argued against them paying sick numbers for players, of course when people started to do the same ( Chelsea and Man City, who have lower debt levels ) they start pointing at them.

Get your facts straight.

Niker
Afaik the facts are a tad different:

United's large debt has been caused by the Glazer take-over, not by paying ridiculous transfer fees. While United has been changed in to a soulless husk of a club aka a popular brand that lives of selling crap to (overseas) fans, they didn't wreck the transfer market. Though they share in the blame of paying ridiculous wages for star players.

City on the other hand spend more money on transfer fees in the last 5 years than United did in it's entire history. They are just the latest example of a club turned into a billionaire plaything. It's sad that this is the only way now to catch up with the top teams.
Old 2012-05-01, 19:43   Link #3390
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I'm not saying that Utd are boob deep in debt just because they pay extraordinary fees, but if they are in debt, they SHOULDN'T be able to buy players.

Yet they do. City, PSG, Chelsea, Anzhi, etc, don't have debt, it's the owners money they are wasting.

If I create a club and I want to grow I want to spend money (if I have it)

Barcelona, Real Madrid, etc, are teams that are bollocks deep in debt yet they go around buying players like Fabregas, Alexis Sanchez, Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo, etc, for insane fees.

True fans of the game support smaller teams.

US Citta Di Palermo, <3.

Niker

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 23:03   Link #3391
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

needs faster enactment of fair play rules. watch all the clubs burn except Zenit, PSG, Ajax and Arsenal...

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 23:09   Link #3392
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
needs faster enactment of fair play rules. watch all the clubs burn except Zenit, PSG, Ajax and Arsenal...
I thought Arsenal was in pretty bad debt situation of their own?

As for the clubs in good financial situation would be most of the clubs in Bundesliga.
Old 2012-05-02, 06:12   Link #3393
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niker117 View Post
I'm not saying that Utd are boob deep in debt just because they pay extraordinary fees, but if they are in debt, they SHOULDN'T be able to buy players.

Yet they do. City, PSG, Chelsea, Anzhi, etc, don't have debt, it's the owners money they are wasting.

If I create a club and I want to grow I want to spend money (if I have it)

Barcelona, Real Madrid, etc, are teams that are bollocks deep in debt yet they go around buying players like Fabregas, Alexis Sanchez, Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo, etc, for insane fees.
Debt is not necessarily a bad thing as it provides tax shielding, allows for the construction of new stadiums, etc.

Debt is a problem when it's high in relation to club revenue and when a team makes an operating loss. The clubs that are most in trouble are the ones that have a wage bill that exceeds their revenue. FFP will only be a constraint for the latter.

For example while Barcelona and Real Madrid have around €500m debt each, but given that they have the largest revenues in football due to their exclusive TV-deals they are financially healthy. Unlike most of the other clubs in La Liga.

FFP particularly targets clubs that can only exist by the grace of their rich owner, who covers for loss making operations. For example if Abramovich were to suddenly die, Chelsea would be essentially bankrupt the same day. UEFA wants more continuity for clubs and lower wage to revenue bills. FFP is only set to reduce the spending capability of clubs like City, Chelsea, PSG, Anzi, Malaga although they are already looking for loopholes like fake sponsorship deals.

My own view is that a club should be part of a community, have a connection with it's supporters. If a club simply buys their success through some outside investor with no relationship to the crowd or the town/community, what value is there to support such a team?

The owner might just as well play SEGA Football manager with fans cheering him on. It's just his money at work that makes the difference, so the success is his' alone only. One could admire the type of football such a club plays or some of the individual players. But that would make you a fan rather than a supporter. A fan admires, a supporter contributes. (not that being a fan is a bad thing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I thought Arsenal was in pretty bad debt situation of their own?

As for the clubs in good financial situation would be most of the clubs in Bundesliga.
Not at all. Arsenal has a total debt off around €534m. Most of it was used to finance the construction of the Emirates. Arsenal has a annual revenue of around €378m and one of the healthiest wage structures in football, so they turn a profit. They have no trouble servicing and repaying their debt.

Last edited by Bri; 2012-05-02 at 06:28.
Old 2012-05-03, 02:30   Link #3394
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

Incredible brace from Papiss Cissé who has to go down as the signing of the season. Both were jaw-dropping strikes but the second has to be Goal of the Season. That all but ended Chelsea's hopes for a top-four finish. Now it's a three-way race for third and fourth. Arsenal should comfortably finish third, if they win both the Norwich and the Albion fixtures.

The Cissé brace may breathe hope into United fans, who'll be hoping he turns up against City. Even a draw against Newcastle would end City's hopes for the title, so it's all up to United themselves now.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 06:56   Link #3395
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidPotential View Post
Incredible brace from Papiss Cissé who has to go down as the signing of the season. Both were jaw-dropping strikes but the second has to be Goal of the Season. That all but ended Chelsea's hopes for a top-four finish. Now it's a three-way race for third and fourth. Arsenal should comfortably finish third, if they win both the Norwich and the Albion fixtures.

The Cissé brace may breathe hope into United fans, who'll be hoping he turns up against City. Even a draw against Newcastle would end City's hopes for the title, so it's all up to United themselves now.
I agree, that goal is simply amazing. Congrats to Newcastle, they played better than Chelsea yesterday and deserve the win. It seems Chelsea is playing some of their bench players though, so it seems they're really gunning for the FA Cup and CL finals more than securing a top 4 position, I wonder if it'll backfire on them.

Tottenham also win a 4-1 against Bolton, as you said the race for 3rd and 4th is intense, only one point apart. Those fixtures seems pretty easy for Arsenal (especially as those two doesn't have much to fight for) so considering the tough fixture for Newcastle (against City desperate for a title and away to Everton) on paper it should be Arsenal on 3rd and Tottenham for 4th.

Of course, I think if Chelsea wins the CL Tottenham will get the boot anyway (or maybe there's some extra qualification matches?), so it's not really over until 19th of May. It will be hilarious to watch if Newcastle and Tottenham can somehow leapfrog Arsenal though.

Btw, here's that amazing Cisse's second goal we're raving about, forget goal of the week, this one is a contender for goal of the season.

Spoiler for Wonder goal:
Old 2012-05-03, 07:22   Link #3396
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

I am a hardcore Chelsea fan myself, but still hats off to that wonder goal. Though some people will say that goal is just pure luck. Luck or not, a goal is a goal, and fine goals are meant to be appreciated, even if its against your team.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 07:55   Link #3397
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

wow cisse just wow...what a goal, what a performance please put on a performance like that against city this sunday please cisse please!
Old 2012-05-03, 08:28   Link #3398
Bri

Ajax secured the Eredivisie title this week after an amazing catch up race by winning the last 13 league matches in a row. After an injury spree youth players were fast tracked to the first squad and by the end of the season 10 of the first 11 are homegrown.

Eriksen has confirmed he will stay at least one more season. Vertonghen and Van der Wiel will leave, which is a loss. Viktor Fisher a left winger/striker, the biggest talent from the Academy since Wesley Sneijder, will join the main squad next year.

Vertonghen is a left footed CB, a better version of Vermaelen and EPL bound to cash in. Spurs, Newcastle and Arsenal have been aiming for him. He'll probably go the whichever London based side that makes it to the CL. Denswill will replace him in the future at Ajax.

Van der Wiel's transfer to Valencia seems to have fallen trough, they can't afford it. He hasn't signed an extension so will be shipped off to the highest bidder. Van Rhijn is ready to replace him and he is better defensively.

If we can get another experienced CB and winger in, we should be set for a title defense and a decent performance in the CL.
Old 2012-05-03, 09:32   Link #3399
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

It will be a disater for Spur to get in top 4 and Chelsea win. I means they literally was in tittle challenge at some point during the season. On the other hand, Chelsea will end this season in a terrible feeling if they lose against Bayern, since getting in CL final will then becomes meaningless if they don't qualify for next season.

I mean world class players who want to join Chelsea after they get into final this year will feels really contradict when Chelsea is not in the competition next year
Old 2012-05-03, 16:55   Link #3400
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

^^^ that is my biggest worry right now. that if we don't win the CL we won't be able to recruit. we got Marin who is good and will provide Mata with some relief as well as De Bruyne which will provide much relief as we can now get some good width. and hopefully Piazon and Lukaku will be given more matches along with Romeu, Kakuta and McEachran.

with Didier, Bosingwa and Kalou all contracts ending in july it's a good time to start thinking about the future. rebuilding doesn't have to be instant. players who come in will take time to get settled.
and with some big contracts ending next season it's good to start now. far as i know, Malouda and Ferreira are ending next season along with some heavyweights.
Cech, Cole, Lampard and i think Sturridge are all 2013. hope we can keep them though. Cole and Sturridge we can not lose.

we do need a new DC to help out if Luiz, Cahill or terry get injured. Bruma and Kalas can be given oppertunities. and a new RB, my choice would be Sime Vrsaljko. i don't think he'll be too expensive and we can develop him while giving him game time.

it does show what kind of a team we want to be with Marin and De Bruyne being brought into the squad.

with the crazy that's gonna happen in the summmer for Hazard we need to be in the mix for him.

final of the FA Cup and CL and it will be meaningless if we don't win both.

though it does sicken me to think that we will HAVE to win the CL to get in next season. such a stupid rule. the whole point of the Champions League is that the Champions of thair respective Leagues should be in the compatation. i understand that the team that won it should be in the mix but if you are not able to do well in your own league and are not able to qualifie than you don't really deserve a place. just because you win should not give you automatic qualification.

Last edited by kayote; 2012-05-03 at 17:10.
kayote is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer