AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

Old 2012-03-05, 22:30   Link #1081
Jimmy C

Quote:
25. 水野 猛 Mizuno Takeru sister died by head trauma
I can't remember, which episode did this happen?
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 22:34   Link #1082
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I can't remember, which episode did this happen?
That's the nurse in episode 4
Old 2012-03-05, 23:23   Link #1083
Jimmy C

Ah, her. Totally forgot her brother's name. That's why I didn't connect it with her.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 08:44   Link #1084
sa547
*Author

Okay, I'm in need of expiration dates for those two (July 21 or 22 might be plausible, as there's no date displayed on this episode).

綾野 綾 Ayano Akane X car accident, parents died in car accident
小椋 由美 Ogura Yumi brother died in home incident

Edit: nvm.

Gonna have to figure out how to organize and tidy up the whole roster.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-03-07 at 10:33.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 10:25   Link #1085
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Okay, I'm in need of expiration dates for those two (July 21 or 22 might be plausible, as there's no date displayed on this episode).

綾野 綾 Ayano Akane X car accident, parents died in car accident
小椋 由美 Ogura Yumi brother died in home incident
I read it up in the novel and there Ogura Atsushi (小椋 敦志) died on July 30th (the same day that the protagonists went into the school)...but of course I can't prove that the anime is using the exact same dates as the novel did. But considering that the school trip was announced as starting on August 8th in the anime as well, at least as far as I remember, it would make it likely that we have already advanced to the end of July.
There is also the point that it had to have been a few days between them returning from their trip and the autopsy results being passed over to Chibiki. That plus 2 or 3 days makes it likely.

Oh yes, one other thing. You should probably decide whether you would want to use the surname or given name on that chart. You used Mizuno Sanae, Sakuragi Yukari (btw. her mothers name is Mieko) and Ayano Aya (yes, it's Aya I...overlooked her name in the novel before), but then again Fujioka Misaki, Nakao Junta and Takabayashi Ikuo. Though I think that was because the anime never gave us their full names

I added the class roster a little to make it a little more informational and corrected some names that I missed while searching through the novel
Spoiler for class roster 1998:

EDIT:
Quote:
Thanks for the added info, am doing corrections right now. Didn't want to bother reading the manga or the book unless I first finish watching the whole show.
No problem at all. Just make sure you use the corrected list...I apparently skipped some of the names yesterday.

Last edited by haguruma; 2012-03-06 at 10:38.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 10:34   Link #1086
sa547
*Author

Thanks for the added info, am doing corrections right now. Didn't want to bother reading the manga or the book unless I first finish watching the whole show.

Edit: need to revise completely.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-03-06 at 11:06.
Old 2012-03-06, 10:59   Link #1087
Hakuromatsu

Nakao should be "death by cerebral contusion" not "death by dismemberment."
Hakuromatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 11:01   Link #1088
sa547
*Author

Damn, bad brain! Brainfart! Going back at it again.

Spoiler for EP 09 final?:

*now firing up InDesign CS5 to create a more cleaner roster layout*

Last edited by sa547; 2012-03-07 at 10:32.
Old 2012-03-06, 12:03   Link #1089
Ray
Garnet

sa547, this might help you in cleaning up the scoreboard. Or well, the top part anyway. I would've done it, but I've been busy as of late.

Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 12:41   Link #1090
Arya

Quote:
*now firing up InDesign CS5 to create a more cleaner roster layout*
If you are going to redesign it all, an idea could be to lengthen the disposition desk section to space out a desk from the next below, enough to let all the data fit between two desks. It would be a tedious work, I know. Just an idea.
If I could be helpful, let me know.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 15:07   Link #1091
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
"EP 09 final?"
Probably there's not much room, but Akane's parents aren't listed. In addition, if I've understood correctly her name's not Akane, but Aya (Ayano Aya), so that needs to be fixed as well.

I may also add haguruma's class roster as addition to the sticky, if it's troublesome to implement it in the chart.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2012-03-07 at 04:39. Reason: added a bit
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 17:07   Link #1092
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
Oh yes, one other thing. You should probably decide whether you would want to use the surname or given name on that chart. You used Mizuno Sanae, Sakuragi Yukari (btw. her mothers name is Mieko) and Ayano Aya (yes, it's Aya I...overlooked her name in the novel before), but then again Fujioka Misaki, Nakao Junta and Takabayashi Ikuo. Though I think that was because the anime never gave us their full names
Wait a minute here, it's Fujioka (last name) Misaki (first name)? I thought it was the opposite until now... mind = blown.

That means her given name is her cousin's last name. Ok. At least that explains why the kanjis are different.
Old 2012-03-06, 17:23   Link #1093
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I may also add haguruma's class roster as addition to the sticky, if it's troublesome to implement it in the chart.
Cool, do that. It's not much but I think people might find it interesting to get to know their complete names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Wait a minute here, it's Fujioka (last name) Misaki (first name)? I thought it was the opposite until now... mind = blown.

That means her given name is her cousin's last name. Ok. At least that explains why the kanjis are different.
Yepp, if she were closer related she'd be Misaki Misaki (見崎 未咲)
I think Japanese name order is still confusing, especially went sub-groups don't really agree on one way to write the names. While I prefer the use of translation I normally leave the "surname - given name" order intact because it creates less confusion...especially because even in Japan you wouldn't write a Western name backwards, you'd still write John Smith and not suddenly Smith John.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 04:55   Link #1094
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Cool, do that. It's not much but I think people might find it interesting to get to know their complete names.
Just one thing, in which order did you write them, perhaps the class registry? Anyway, I think the names' order should at least mach the seats they are (to make a visual confrontation with the chart much easier; not all names are visible there, let alone the fact most people are not at ease with kanji).

So I believe that in our case it would be better if we sort them out by rows. Something like this (just including some "famous" romanized names for simplicity, the layout you designed with name in kanji, name in romaji and "happenings" is ok):

1st Row (left):

1. Akazawa
3. Ogura
6. Misaki

2nd Row:

8. Nakao
10. Mizuno

3d Row:

13. Sakuragi
15. Ayano

and so on.
Old 2012-03-07, 07:52   Link #1095
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Yepp, if she were closer related she'd be Misaki Misaki (見崎 未咲)
I think Japanese name order is still confusing, especially went sub-groups don't really agree on one way to write the names. While I prefer the use of translation I normally leave the "surname - given name" order intact because it creates less confusion...especially because even in Japan you wouldn't write a Western name backwards, you'd still write John Smith and not suddenly Smith John.
I've pondered for a long time which order to use, and I eventually decided it was better to write them in the western order after I noticed Japanese themselves adopt the given name-surname order when they write their name in romaji (at least that's what they do in seiyuu/idol magazines ). I think it's less confusing that way.
Old 2012-03-07, 10:34   Link #1096
sa547
*Author

Here's the fixed version:
Spoiler for revision 5, poss. final.:

Been having too much to work on lately, so being plagued with much brain fart in the last two days. :P
Old 2012-03-07, 12:09   Link #1097
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
A quick question: The official English title of Ep10 is "Glass Eye". I don't think it's a direct translation of the Japanese title, 漆黑, is it? The kanji literally mean "pitch black".

I ask because "Body Paint" doesn't seem to be a direct translation of 連鎖 either. The kanji literally mean "connected locks".

Similarly, the title for Ep8, "Hair Stand", doesn't correspond with its Japanese version, 紺碧 ("dark blue-jade green").
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecrow View Post
I think someone mentioned they have a different Japanese and English title so they can have 2 different titles for the same episode.
Quote:
Reminds me of those episode titles used in Eva, in which there are two completely different titles, one in English and another in kanji.
Quote:
In Another's case, I think it's more due to the challenge of finding approximate terms in both languages than simply trying to be "cool". It's interesting that the English titles build on the dolls motif, while the Japanese titles tend to be more "poetic", for lack of better description.
On reflection, I realised that Squarecrow and sa547 were right after all. The two sets of titles are very likely meant to serve different purposes. It's easier to show what I mean:

EpKanjiLiteralOfficialKey events
0因果cause and effectthe OtherLife and death of Misaki Fujioka.
1素描rough sketchsameIntroduction to Kouichi, Yomiyama and Mei.
2思惑speculationblueprintIs Mei a ghost?
3骨組skeletal frameworkbone workHints of a curse. First death.
4輪郭silhouetteput fleshCurse's effects outlined. Death at the hospital.
5拡散scatterbuild limbsStudents start avoiding Kouichi.
6二人two peopleface-to-faceKouichi and Mei become a non-existent couple.
7変調change of tonesphere jointOstracism abandoned. Active effort to probe phenomenon.
8紺碧deep bluehair standDeath at sea.
9連鎖chain linksbody paintPast deaths unfold in parallel to those in the present.
10漆黑pitch blackglass eyetbd

So, it seems that the English titles conform to the doll/doll-making motif, while the Japanese titles allude to significant plot developments, sometimes in oblique ways. The official titles for Ep0 seem particularly noteworthy. The "other" who was the "karmic cause and effect"... of the phenomenon?

Makes you wonder about Misaki Fujioka, doesn't it?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 17:19   Link #1098
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
On reflection, I realised that Squarecrow and sa547 were right after all. The two sets of titles are very likely meant to serve different purposes. It's easier to show what I mean:

EpKanjiLiteralOfficialKey events
0因果cause and effectthe OtherLife and death of Misaki Fujioka.
1素描rough sketchsameIntroduction to Kouichi, Yomiyama and Mei.
2思惑speculationblueprintIs Mei a ghost?
3骨組skeletal frameworkbone workHints of a curse. First death.
4輪郭silhouetteput fleshCurse's effects outlined. Death at the hospital.
5拡散scatterbuild limbsStudents start avoiding Kouichi.
6二人two peopleface-to-faceKouichi and Mei become a non-existent couple.
7変調change of tonesphere jointOstracism abandoned. Active effort to probe phenomenon.
8紺碧deep bluehair standDeath at sea.
9連鎖chain linksbody paintPast deaths unfold in parallel to those in the present.
10漆黑pitch blackglass eyetbd

So, it seems that the English titles conform to the doll/doll-making motif, while the Japanese titles allude to significant plot developments, sometimes in oblique ways. The official titles for Ep0 seem particularly noteworthy. The "other" who was the "karmic cause and effect"... of the phenomenon?

Makes you wonder about Misaki Fujioka, doesn't it?
The other probably refers to them looking alike.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 00:46   Link #1099
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

I just wonder why the school doesn't shut down class 3-3 altogether? If there are no students to ever enter class 3-3, there wouldn't be these incidents or possible incidents each year. Aside from not having a show to watch , wouldn't it be the easiest solution?

Also, what factors in as to whom from a previous class returns as an Another? Are we given any clues about that?

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 01:36   Link #1100
sa547
*Author

Perhaps they want to keep 3-3 to appease the spirit of the dead student, and at the same time try to give a semblance of continuity and normalcy, except most of the countermeasures are flawed and could not prevent deaths from occurring.

Tags
horror, seinen