Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-03-07, 02:05   Link #41
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Actually, I thought it was brilliant. Really, really funny, with a dry, loopy humor that sets it apart. As unique as Baka to Test or Seitokai no Ichizon, in its own way. Had me laughing out loud.

I had just read some of the comic and found it hilarious. I felt the anime started slowly -- but it hit its stride and started loping along well, after a while. The rhythm of no rhythm, lol. Hard to make it flow, since it comes from a 4-panel comic strip.

Excellent work from Fukuyama Jun as the lead guy. And I enjoyed Asumi Kana as the little senpai more than I've ever enjoyed her before. Ono Daisuke and Kamiya Hiroshi beautifully deadpan in the background.

And I liked the bright look and nice character design and animation. I hope it can keep this up.
Well, that certainly fills me with hope - looking forward to this more than ever.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 02:21   Link #42
karinvampire
Ka Ra Ku Ri

Found the show to be very interesting and funny,managed to keep me interested for the whole episode.
karinvampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 02:36   Link #43
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I thought that was a nice way to start. A few nice jokes that had me laughing. A good point that Taneshima isn't a middle-school student, she's grade school in height . Takanashi is a pretty fun guy as well. Should be a fun series with the group they have there.
Old 2010-03-07, 05:06   Link #44
Sai Feng
Yo-poko! O_O

I loved it, need my daily dose of slice-of-life comedy. Oh goodness Taneshima is even more adorable animated, chicchai! I love it when she tries her best or stretching to look a bit taller, so cute. I enjoyed Takanashi's fetish for all things small and cute, "I don't want to be her boyfriend rather I want to be her father!" Hahaha.

Otokoooo!!!

Trap + Ponytail + Mini-skirt + Stockings = Deadly Combo
Sai Feng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 05:24   Link #45
zarqu
Stüldt Håjt!

The first episode had me smiling here and there; 4-panel comedy appeals to me in small doses. Of course, Taneshima's overt(?) cuteness was irresistible. Hopefully the characters will turn out interesting and funny, as the story no doubt relies on them, apart from the who-falls-for-who-if-anyone-falls-for-someone-in-the-first-place romantic twist.

I don't worry about the rhythm that much. I mean, I survived Lucky Star and Azumanga
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 09:39   Link #46
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'm glad the humor didn't turn out to be hit or miss with me, because i found the jokes to be pretty good, along with sudden reactions from Takanashi which made me laugh the most in this first episode. Looking forward to more.

& yeah, solid voice cast makes this extra enjoyable.
Old 2010-03-07, 09:59   Link #47
Midonin
Last Engage

Good news: I finally have a release date for the OP/ED singles (as I stated earlier, "SOMEONE ELSE" is already strong in the running to be one of my favorite OPs of this year). 4/21, pretty early into the show's run.

? news: It's only packaged with the first DVD. Very clever, Aniplex. Package some character songs like that and I may very well turn my wallet in your direction.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 10:22   Link #48
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Reading the comments on this thread about the first episode, my expectations were raised quite a bit about this show. But I think I'll wait till it officially airs for me to check it out for myself.
Old 2010-03-07, 10:55   Link #49
Joojoobees

I wasn't able to watch the entire episode, but what I saw looked fun. Poor Hokkaido, it looked like the snow was piled over 3 feet high. The fact that the chef looked like Sanji was enough to have me smiling every time he showed up. There's already a comfortable working relationship feel to the interactions of the characters. I'm looking forward to seeing this one.
Old 2010-03-07, 13:25   Link #50
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

It ain't nearly as rotflmao-copter of BakaTest, but then again, I don't know any show that compares in recent memory (last one I remember thats on par was Fumoffu, and that was 7 years ago). At the very least, its as interesting and as humorous as SeiIchi, which at the very least puts it in the Very Good tab of my book.

Now where's that osananajimi character; kinda odd it ain't there with a cast this big...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 15:21   Link #51
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Oh yay look.
A moe-blob.

Thought the episode was pretty boring and dull, then again introduction episodes aren't always so exciting to watch anywayz. I knew I wasn't going to like this series from watching the trailer but I decided to check it out for the seiyuu cast like many others.

I only wish the cast was actually as interesting as its promo image (which caught my eye)
None of the characters left me a good impression. Most of them are just cardboard cut-outs already and the loli girl is the worst out of them.

Then again I don't expect much out of this show.
Oh well.

Last edited by Starry Dust; 2010-03-07 at 16:54.
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 15:34   Link #52
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

There is a kind of humor that I love but that some other people just don't find funny. And that's okay. It's the humor that was in Seitokai no Ichizon and in Ichigo Mashimaro and is now in this: bizarre absurdity, doing repeated riffs on comic memes, setting up expectations and then contradicting them, ridiculing people but not in a nasty way, more as a recognition of our common humanity. Did anyone who disliked this episode like either of those earlier shows? Or Monty Python, which is the archetype of this sort of thing for me?

All the main characters here have strong contradictory aspects to their personalities -- which I consider a good thing, and a wellspring of humor. The little girl is actually the protagonist's senior. The protagonist is a straight-up guy who is also a lolicon. The mature-seeming manageress is actually lazy, violent, and immature. The sweet crew chief carries a katana. The scaredy-cat worker bashes guys on sight. The scary head cook is really a nice guy. This is part of what makes all these characters interesting to me in ways that characters in other comedy shows often aren't. Giving your characters contradictory aspects is a trick of scriptwriting to make characters seem real (since real people are contradictory).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 16:32   Link #53
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
There is a kind of humor that I love but that some other people just don't find funny. And that's okay. It's the humor that was in Seitokai no Ichizon and in Ichigo Mashimaro and is now in this: bizarre absurdity, doing repeated riffs on comic memes, setting up expectations and then contradicting them, ridiculing people but not in a nasty way, more as a recognition of our common humanity. Did anyone who disliked this episode like either of those earlier shows? Or Monty Python, which is the archetype of this sort of thing for me?

All the main characters here have strong contradictory aspects to their personalities -- which I consider a good thing, and a wellspring of humor. The little girl is actually the protagonist's senior. The protagonist is a straight-up guy who is also a lolicon. The mature-seeming manageress is actually lazy, violent, and immature. The sweet crew chief carries a katana. The scaredy-cat worker bashes guys on sight. The scary head cook is really a nice guy. This is part of what makes all these characters interesting to me in ways that characters in other comedy shows often aren't. Giving your characters contradictory aspects is a trick of scriptwriting to make characters seem real (since real people are contradictory).
I kinda get that Monty Python feeling also but maybe somewhere along the lines of Fawlty Towers.
Just kinda reminded of old British sitcom stuff which is weird as I have absolutely no idea what so ever on why.
Just wondering if we would ever see "The Office the anime"(with Brent Dance!)

Guess I'll have a peek at the manga to see how things go.
Old 2010-03-07, 17:52   Link #54
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Actually, I thought it was brilliant. Really, really funny, with a dry, loopy humor that sets it apart. As unique as Baka to Test or Seitokai no Ichizon, in its own way. Had me laughing out loud.

I had just read some of the comic and found it hilarious. I felt the anime started slowly -- but it hit its stride and started loping along well, after a while. The rhythm of no rhythm, lol. Hard to make it flow, since it comes from a 4-panel comic strip.

Excellent work from Fukuyama Jun as the lead guy. And I enjoyed Asumi Kana as the little senpai more than I've ever enjoyed her before. Ono Daisuke and Kamiya Hiroshi beautifully deadpan in the background.

And I liked the bright look and nice character design and animation. I hope it can keep this up.
I completely agree with you. I didn't think I'd love it that much from what I heard about it, but the humor worked perfectly on me, it had that little something that makes me love it. I can't wait for the next ep now (not until april, right?).

The voice cast might also be part of the reason I enjoyed this first episode so much, following Durarara and this at the same time will probably add some fun. Asumi Kana's character reminded me a lot of Yuno, but her character is more "genki" here, I really loved her performance.

I'm also really liking the characters from what we've seen so far. Takanashi is a very likeable lead.
Old 2010-03-07, 17:53   Link #55
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
(not until april, right?)
Indeed, though the first episode has to air first.
Old 2010-03-07, 18:56   Link #56
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
As expected in some ways, this was essentially one of those "get a feel for some of the cast" first episodes. Which is understandable.

In any case, if the first episode is any indication this has potential to be one of my higher level series of Spring.

Keep in mind however as a fan of 4-Koma based anime and cute girls, I've been interested in this for awhile. The second I learned of the existence of Taneshima Popura, the fact she was voiced by Asumi Kana, and this having 4-Koma origins, I felt destined to try this.

Speaking of Taneshima Popura, she was as adorable and wonderful as I hoped she'd be. I could easily watch the series for her alone. So long as the rest of it stays either good or decent enough.

Actually my only real problem might be Mahiru because her character trait if used wrong can end up just being frustrating and forced.

In any case, random avatars of the adorable one. Not much since well the "This is is a blatant preview version text limits things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Good news: I finally have a release date for the OP/ED singles (as I stated earlier, "SOMEONE ELSE" is already strong in the running to be one of my favorite OPs of this year). 4/21, pretty early into the show's run.

? news: It's only packaged with the first DVD. Very clever, Aniplex. Package some character songs like that and I may very well turn my wallet in your direction.
Darn it, I tend to prefer them to be separate. It's probably because it's easier for me to afford import CDs than it is R2 DVDs. Although sometimes I wish I did have the budget for importing R2s. Release method aside, I will say that the song is nice.
Old 2010-03-07, 19:11   Link #57
Midonin
Last Engage

The DVD with the OP/ED seems to go a little cheaper than most, oddly enough. It's only ¥3100, and most DVDs go for more than twice that. It's about the same price as an OST, plus you get a nice encode version of the first episode with it. Most affordable deal I've seen on bonus content in a long time.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 20:20   Link #58
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

A good introduction for this anime. I had set my hopes relatively high because of the trailers, but that pre-episode didn't let me down. The set of characters looks interesting and the humor is just to my liking. The manager and Mahiru-chan made a particularly good impression one me (maybe I've a thing for violent femal-chara').
I'll be waiting for the 04/04 eagerly!
Old 2010-03-07, 23:04   Link #59
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

That was an ok start . Some part was hilarious .
Taneshima was cute yeah ^^ She must be about 140 cm tall
Kyoko is "like thoses old bitchs" ahah
Inami's falcon punch !!! An androphobia , wow this is rare . Dunno how she can avoid so much men in the street etc ..
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 23:12   Link #60
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Seems like an interesting series. Funny in places. Has potential. Male cast is dynamite.
I wish more from the characters, so I hope they have development. I don't want this to turn in to "Hi, I'm quirky character. I have a quirk. Wow you sure are quirky with your quirk quirky character".
The highlight for this episode would be Taneshima's ponytail. Due to obsessive Kyonko and Haruhi exposure, I love ponytails. I would watch this show just for the promise of more ponytail fanservice.
So Working!!. If you give me more ponytails, character development, and male cast awesomeness we have a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho-
Inami's falcon punch !!! An androphobia , wow this is rare . Dunno how she can avoid so much men in the street etc ..
So why did she become a waitress, one of the most personable jobs available where she sees men everyday? That just seems a disaster waiting to happen. And rightly so if that punch is judged correctly.

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
swtrooper42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, seinen