AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-07-10, 14:23   Link #61
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotsuMaboroshi View Post
Not really. The episode is Yuki's perspective. The other characters wouldn't act the same without Yuki around, as they don't see the same thing, so the show can't just drop hints if Yuki isn't the current perspective (seen when we shift to Miki's perspective at the end).
They could have made the situation more interesting and involve the other characters while keeping Yuki's perspective just fine.
Old 2015-07-10, 14:51   Link #62
Hmm....

I agree. While this episode is all about Yuki perspective, so she will always be there. They could involve more of other characters, not just Yuki and Miki doing the chasing. It will make an episode less boring and better as introductory episode.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 15:04   Link #63
ookamigirl

All girls..
Takeya sure is an unusual girl.
All of them are unusual..
This anime kinda sucks you in even when nothing special is happening.
Things got intriguing near the end.
Will give it one more episode before I decide.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 15:06   Link #64
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

alot of plp are missing the point of the first episode, i personally think they wanted to show all the characters together for the first episode to catch the viewers attention, rather than having them guess when is that girl gonna appear.
Im guessing the next one will follow from the actual start of the manga, though they will have to re order the dog appearance.
Still though this series have grabbed me, i feel really sorry for these girls and im hoping they will all make it through without too much damage, but judging by current zombie series....not one has ever ended....
Old 2015-07-10, 15:35   Link #65
YotsuMaboroshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
They could have made the situation more interesting and involve the other characters while keeping Yuki's perspective just fine.
As odd as this sounds, I think they were trying to keep as close to the first manga chapter as possible, even with the additions of Miki and Taromaru. This establishes that Kurumi and Rii don't interact with Yuki during 'class' very often, as they're doing other things. Their primary interaction with Yuki is as 'club members', and Miki is the only one that steps outside of that.

It sets the dynamic of Yuki in 'class', Kurumi and Rii working together, and Miki acting independently.

Also, from a narrative point of view, it becomes harder to present a single person's delusions as reality the more real people are present in the scene. They could have come up with some excuse to have Yuki run into the members independently, but I think it would have come off as a bit contrived.
YotsuMaboroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 15:43   Link #66
HandofFate

Okay premise but I'm pretty cautious about getting really into it.

Not a fan when it seems like the entire point of the story is to milk "man, doesn't this situation suck? lets have a pity party for these people"
Old 2015-07-10, 15:44   Link #67
c933103
FTNR

I believe the series is fot those who are into SoL, and quite a large portion of it is revolving around SoL, despite the series surely differ from general SoL. It is still a [SoL + something else] mode. Those who follow the series with only that "something else" in their mind would miss the fun from the key SoL part of the series.
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 15:55   Link #68
TheRealWinston

Very Interresting series.
Have never heard of a series like that before, where the mainchar lives in a zombieapocalypse and actually has problems to face reality...
But not sure if I keep watching it, cause reasons...
TheRealWinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 16:01   Link #69
ices
Working Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
I believe the series is for those who are into SoL, and quite a large portion of it is revolving around SoL, despite the series surely differ from general SoL. It is still a [SoL + something else] mode. Those who follow the series with only that "something else" in their mind would miss the fun from the key SoL part of the series.
Definitely agree with this. Although there are some twists, this is still a SoL anime. Gakkou Gurashi! is that kind of thing. The one where you'll love the SoL bits because... they're really healing. No kidding... I hope people appreciate the SoL bits more in the future.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 16:05   Link #70
Kazu-kun

Quote:
As odd as this sounds, I think they were trying to keep as close to the first manga chapter as possible, even with the additions of Miki and Taromaru. This establishes that Kurumi and Rii don't interact with Yuki during 'class' very often, as they're doing other things.
Not doing it very often doesn't mean they never do, and from a narrative stand point, you'd want to show off all your main characters in the first episode as much as possible, because one episode is all the chance a lot of viewers are gonna give you. You can set their given dynamics later on. That's really not that important for the first episode.

Quote:
Also, from a narrative point of view, it becomes harder to present a single person's delusions as reality the more real people are present in the scene. They could have come up with some excuse to have Yuki run into the members independently, but I think it would have come off as a bit contrived.
I don't think it's necessarily harder to present her delusions while having more characters involved, and whether it feels contrived depends more on the execution imo.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2015-07-10 at 16:20.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 17:21   Link #71
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
I believe the series is fot those who are into SoL, and quite a large portion of it is revolving around SoL, despite the series surely differ from general SoL. It is still a [SoL + something else] mode. Those who follow the series with only that "something else" in their mind would miss the fun from the key SoL part of the series.
Sorry, it's kind of hard for me to see a schizophrenic little girl's delusion as "fun". I'll just be thinking "Godamn, this is sooo fucked up." during the entire series. Which is fine, actually.
Chichiryuushintei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 17:35   Link #72
YotsuMaboroshi

Quote:
Not doing it very often doesn't mean they never do, and from a narrative stand point, you'd want to show off all your main characters in the first episode as much as possible, because one episode is all the chance a lot of viewers are gonna give you. You can set their given dynamics later on. That's really not that important for the first episode.
Well, they did interact with Yuki during class time, didn't they? That's one of the points of the scene on the roof.

That said, I disagree with you on group dynamics vs showing off characters. Group dynamics are important for characterization, and I think it's better for that to be consistent than to 'show off' the characters. Just showing off the characters doesn't do much for the narrative, it's more of a marketing gimmick. I think the way it was handled was better for the story, possibly worse for marketing, which you pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichiryuushintei View Post
Sorry, it's kind of hard for me to see a schizophrenic little girl's delusion as "fun". I'll just be thinking "Godamn, this is sooo fucked up." during the entire series. Which is fine, actually.
That only holds true if we continue to see the events primarily from Yuki's point of view, including all the extras.
Old 2015-07-10, 17:53   Link #73
monir
cho~ kakkoii

A typical cute-girl show doing cute things. Yawwwn. And then.......

HOLY CRAP... WHAT'S WITH THE ZOMBIES WALKING OUTSIDE AND WHY IS THE HEROINE OF THE SHOW OUT OF HER cute MIND???!!!!!! AND DID THEY EAT THE DOG AT SOME POINT BEFORE THEY STARTED GROWING THEIR FOOD? I SURE HOPE SO. THE OTHER POSSIBILITY OF A HERO-DOG HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE.

This is a clever way to inject interest in a cute-girls-doing-cute-thing show which is otherwise is BORING. Will be back for more next week that's for sure.....!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 17:59   Link #74
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Well, they did interact with Yuki during class time, didn't they? That's one of the points of the scene on the roof.
Most people who didn't read the manga couldn't even remember their names after this episode from what I could see in other boards. That's not a good thing when you only have four main characters to deal with.

Quote:
That said, I disagree with you on group dynamics vs showing off characters. Group dynamics are important for characterization, and I think it's better for that to be consistent than to 'show off' the characters. Just showing off the characters doesn't do much for the narrative, it's more of a marketing gimmick. I think the way it was handled was better for the story, possibly worse for marketing, which you pointed out.
There can be a happy medium. To begin with, character dynamics aren't something 100% rigid. Characters can act outside of their usual habits and roles without coming across as inconsistent depending on how the situation is presented. Besides, just one episode is not enough to set the group dynamics anyway.
Old 2015-07-10, 18:04   Link #75
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Such as shame I've already read pretty much the entire manga. Still, it's fun watching the youtube review and live reaction scene explode from this episode.

EDIT: Oh wait, the manga's not over yet!! YES!

Last edited by Newprimus; 2015-07-10 at 19:11.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 18:04   Link #76
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:

That only holds true if we continue to see the events primarily from Yuki's point of view, including all the extras.
By the preview of episode two It'll be altering between these middle-schoolers fighting zombies and her mind distorting that stuff up to be something cute. I don't see the part that is not fucked up in here. And I think you may have misunderstood this as a negative criticezement. I'm probably going to love this show for exactly this reason.
Chichiryuushintei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 19:18   Link #77
YotsuMaboroshi

Quote:
Most people who didn't read the manga couldn't even remember their names after this episode from what I could see in other boards. That's not a good thing when you only have four main characters to deal with.
I don't think it's that big of an issue. The show got its premise across fine. If people are interested, they'll eventually learn the characters.

Quote:
There can be a happy medium. To begin with, character dynamics aren't something 100% rigid. Characters can act outside of their usual habits and roles without coming across as inconsistent depending on how the situation is presented. Besides, just one episode is not enough to set the group dynamics anyway.
I think the amount of character exposure was fine. It already had more character interaction than the original did, due to shuffling events around. I'm not trying to argue that character dynamics never change. I'm arguing that establishing characters and relationships should be consistent, and I don't think that forcing more screentime for Kurumi and Rii would have been (this is admittedly with knowledge of the manga).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichiryuushintei View Post
By the preview of episode two It'll be altering between these middle-schoolers fighting zombies and her mind distorting that stuff up to be something cute. I don't see the part that is not fucked up in here. And I think you may have misunderstood this as a negative criticezement. I'm probably going to love this show for exactly this reason.
Wasn't really responding to it as a negative criticism. Probably came off that way unintentionally.
Old 2015-07-10, 19:35   Link #78
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Is this show 12 eps or 24 eps? MAL lists 12 but someone else mentioned 24.
Old 2015-07-10, 20:27   Link #79
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Is it just me or they cut out some of Megu-nee part?

Like in the manga, I think she was fully introduced 2nd after Yuki (she also reminded Yuki of the club, but on screen). But here, she's just sorta like a side character.

Hope that they will not lessen her role (just to fit in the 4-girls trope). I actually really like Megu-nee
Old 2015-07-10, 20:30   Link #80
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I don't think it's that big of an issue. The show got its premise across fine. If people are interested, they'll eventually learn the characters.
The show has to make people interested in the first place. Clearly these guys put all their eggs in the twist at the end, and indeed some viewers will keep watching only because of that twist. But others won't, and that's because they didn't put any effort to make the other 20 minutes more interesting. That includes properly introducing all the main characters.

Quote:
I think the amount of character exposure was fine. It already had more character interaction than the original did, due to shuffling events around.
In manga you only have 20+ pages per chapter. Just enough to properly introduce one main character and a conflict if you're lucky. Anime demands more because each episode can include more content than one manga chapter, and there are only 12 episodes in total.

Quote:
I'm not trying to argue that character dynamics never change. I'm arguing that establishing characters and relationships should be consistent, and I don't think that forcing more screentime for Kurumi and Rii would have been (this is admittedly with knowledge of the manga).
We can't talk about the manga here, and the anime has to stand on its own anyway. And I disagree that involving Rii and Kurumi some more in the first episode would force any inconstancy.

Tags
manga time kirara, read the manga, seinen, slice of life, zombie apocalypse