AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-22, 14:22   Link #1
Shenmue

Anime Suggestions

I am relatively new to watching anime. Looking for something that is quite thought provoking with an air of mystery. I don't mind what genre it is, even if it has dashes of comedy thats fine.

Anime Ive liked.

Neon Genesis Evangelion-Not a huge mecha fan, but I liked how this anime had realistic characterisations and the abstract overtones of the story were pretty good.

Cowboy Bebop-Loved how it took things from different genres and it meshed well.
Kenshin Trust and Betrayal-I liked how the anime was quite cinematic, the characters and the historical setting were very authentic and its gritty tone. (Some of it made squeamish though, lol)

Ghost In a Shell: SAC-Very stylish, has great production values, up there with any hollywood movie.

Mushi-shi-Like the laidback nature of it all, its a breath of fresh air.

Full Metal Alchemist-Perfect, in regards for what I look for.

Haibane Renmei-Going to watch this, seems to be good.

Wolf's Rain-Tried to get into this, it had eveything going for it, but there was something missing from it that it made it abit hollow, still need time to make up my mind on this.

Trigun-Hilarious adventure of Vash.

Akira-Nothing much needs to be said, lol.

Kenshin: Reflections-Abit of skewed ending to the Tv series, but not bad.

Can't make my mind up on Elfen Lied. Chobits I didn't really like, the Persicons seemed devoid of personality..

In terms of romance anime, if anyone could help me there aswell. The ones Ive liked are..

Maison Ikkoku & Honey and Clover, Nodame Cantabile- Especially loved the first two, both are great pieces of slice of life, romance and comedy. There's true character growth in there aswell. Being a university student, I liked these three. Lastly but not least Kimagure Orange Road series which I found quite authentic and touching.

I am not into the harem genre that Love Hina popularised. Love triangles, etc are fine though.

Thanking everyone in advance for taking the time to help me out.

Last edited by Shenmue; 2008-09-22 at 15:23.
Old 2008-09-22, 14:23   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Death Note, has as you say an "air of mystery".
Claymore fits well with what you're saying you like.
Old 2008-09-22, 15:28   Link #3
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Seems to me your looking for stuff that's deep, but put into a relatable package too...

Just plain deep and mind-screwing:

Paranoia Agent

Serial Experiments Lain

BoogiePop Phantom

Ergo Proxy

Big-O

Noien

Air of mystery in a relatable package with romance elements:

Beck

Paradise Kiss

Gankutsuou

xxxholic

Not sure how Claymore fits his desire though...But Claymore bored the hell outta me so maybe I'm not the best on the subject...
Old 2008-09-22, 19:04   Link #4
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Eureka 7 (mecha) - Great 50 series with same animation production as Fma (Bones)
Xam'd Lost Memories- Similar as the above
Full Metal Panic- Hilarious plus pretty nice action. (mecha though)
Samurai Champloo- Have not watched but similar directors as Bebop (I believe
Higurashi- Mystery, killer lolis
Baccano- Pretty gory, but very unique characters and some mecha
Bokura ga Ita
Darker than Black
I second
Ergo Proxy
xxxHolic

Higurashi and Baccano are pretty deep, and very gory so I will not recommend this for a breather

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu (Second Season) and xxxHolic for more of a breather (though xxxholic can get pretty freaky at times)
Old 2008-09-22, 19:43   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenmue View Post
I am relatively new to watching anime. Looking for something that is quite thought provoking with an air of mystery.
If you thinik you can hang in for 74 episodes, there's no better example of a show that is "thought provoking with an air of mystery" than Monster.

I liked watching shows like Boogiepop Phantom, Paranoia Agent, and Ergo Proxy, but I found myself wondering at the end what the point of the show really was. Neon Genesis Evangelion evoked the same reaction from me. I still think these shows are worth watching, but they tend to be overrated.

Noein and Dennou Coil are both thought-provoking science-fiction dramas with young protagonists. Noein attempts to wrap its story in quantum physics, but it's still pretty fantastical. Dennou Coil posits a more believable future where children co-exist in both physical and virtual realities. Both shows are thought-provoking and well produced, and both have that touch of mystery you're seeking. The sci-fi drama Planetes describes the lives of space "trash collectors," but includes a nice romance and a subplot about imperialism and terrorism.

Finally for a few less mainstream choices you might look at
Ghost Hound, a mix of psychology, brain science, and mysticism
Oh! Edo Rocket, a surreal, satirical show with historical personages and anachronistic segments
Narutaru, young teens get enormous powers from strange beings with unfortunate and disturbing consequences
Kure-nai, by the producers of Baccano!, a high-school student with an unusual after-school job becomes the bodyguard of a young heiress

Enjoy!
Old 2008-09-22, 21:10   Link #6
Fevvers
a regular van veen

You might want to try Texhnolyze, one of the most moving and ambitious series I've ever come across. Despite its dialogue-less first two episodes or so (which I honestly thought was a powerful, not to mention fitting, introduction for the show's people and city), Texhnolyze has a straightforward thematic drive, unlike Lain (another Konaka work) which is more ambiguous and less linear, not that that's anything against the latter series though.

It's very slow and highly symbolical, typical of Hirotsugu Hamazaki direction, but once you reach episodes 7 or 8, it makes for one hell of a ride.
Old 2008-09-22, 21:18   Link #7
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
You might want to try Texhnolyze, one of the most moving and ambitious series I've ever come across. Despite its dialogue-less first two episodes or so (which I honestly thought was a powerful, not to mention fitting, introduction for the show's people and city), Texhnolyze has a straightforward thematic drive, unlike Lain (another Konaka work) which is more ambiguous and less linear, not that that's anything against the latter series though.

It's very slow and highly symbolical, typical of Hirotsugu Hamazaki direction, but once you reach episodes 7 or 8, it makes for one hell of a ride.
Oh yes, a great way to describe the show!

I'd also suggest Ergo Proxy.
Old 2008-09-23, 00:24   Link #8
Aquillion

Aha! I recommend Twelve Kingdoms (aka Juuni Kokki.) It's thought provoking with an air of mystery, like you said; it has an interesting setting and fairly deep plots. Most importantly, it has a lot of character growth, which you seem to like.

For romance, you could try Kare Kano if you don't mind the fact that it eventually sort of falls apart. Again, a lot of character growth.

Infinite Ryvius -- again, a lot of character growth, and thought provoking at times.
Old 2008-09-23, 07:24   Link #9
Shenmue

Everyone put a lot of effort into these suggestions, Cats, Rawgers, SeijiSensei, kafka, Reckoner, Aquillion, thanks for your help. I was pretty confused as to what to watch now, after those anime, so there's plenty to see now. A lot of my choices previously have been in the well known variety, with the one or two comparatively overlooked old gems like Maison Ikkoku or Kimagure Orange Road. So its cool, that my breadth of anime viewing will become more refined. Death Note, Monster, hmm these choices definantly seem to fit the bill, they're also pretty well known.

In terms of the plain deep that WingedDarkness suggested seems pretty interesting. Ergo Proxy, xxxholic have seconded by Rawgers. SenjiSensei and Reckoner. So will be one of the first of those I watch. SeijiSensei you say Boogiepop Phantom, Paranoia Agent, and Ergo Proxy are like NGE. NGE hmmm, when I watched it, I wasn't really acquainted with its pervasive hype in the anime community, which was a good thing probably. I think thats the best way to watch these ones mentioned, keep a neutral view and may end up enjoying them. Your suggestion of Noein is cool, heard about Ghost Hound and Denno Coil, seems to be getting a lot of word of mouth recently.

Kafka, Reckoner suggest besides Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze aswell, if its slow paced, its not really that much of concern to me. If anyone has heard of Shenmue, one of my favourite games, it was put down often for its lack of action, but its ambitious move to replicate Yokosuka was for its time well worth it.

Rawgers, you have suggested quite a few anime. I thought Eureka 7 was reminding me of something in terms of animation, lol. Something about the main protaganist was too irritating for me, so was put off by it. Baccano should be fine, sounds interesting, though Higurashi might be too much for me as you say lol. Ill have a look at the anime suggested.

Aquillion you have suggested Twelve Kingdoms which I'll try to watch aswell. Kare Kano is the one where the main couple are actually in a relationship from the beginning right? Which would make an intriguing change from other romantic anime. .

Spoiler for Maison Ikkoku:

Spoiler for Kimagure Orange Road TV to Shin:

I'll have a look at Paradise Kiss, FMP aswell.

Last edited by Shenmue; 2008-09-23 at 08:43.
Old 2008-09-24, 07:24   Link #10
blewin

I second Eureka Seven, not only is it similar to FMA in many ways, but it's an excellent anime in its own right.

Others:

Zegapain - as you said, an air of mystery. A bit slow at first, but picks up after. Must at least watch till ep 4 to get an idea of what's happening. What I like besides the mysterious feel about Zegapain are its *revelations: each revelation brings new information in, and they're unexpected. *characters: great character development. *thought-provoking: not too confusing as to render the show confounding. *emotionally evocative: don't wanna spoil too much here, but you get this suppressed feeling bursting to come out and can't. uh, a bit like the feeling you get from Mushishi, but somewhat different.

If you decide to give this a try, be aware that the flashing mecha (which unfortunately has put some people off) is just the surface hiding the gem inside.

And if you like Zegapain, I'd also recommend: PERSONA trinity soul.

As you like Mushishi, you might also like Natsume Yuujinchou. Somewhat different in story, but it's the only anime that exudes the same type of feeling (atmosphere) as Mushishi.
Closed Thread