AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2009-06-01, 15:57   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - General Character Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss the One Piece characters who are not fortunate enough to have a thread of their own.

To keep the discussion enjoyable for all One Piece fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

BTW, here are the other existing character discussion threads. Please use these threads if you wish to discuss any of the following characters.
One Piece - Character Discussion - Luffy
One Piece - Character Discussion - Zoro
One Piece - Character Discussion - Nami
One Piece - Character Discussion - Usopp
One Piece - Character Discussion - Sanji
One Piece - Character Discussion - Chopper
One Piece - Character Discussion - Robin
One Piece - Character Discussion - Franky
One Piece - Character Discussion - Brook
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 16:13   Link #2
james0246

Not to overlap with the Marine thread too much, but I would really like to know more about Captain Attachan. This photographer is arguably the greatest spy in the entire One Piece world, and I would really like some more info about this silly, but mysterious, figure.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 16:49   Link #3
Rainbowman

This thread may not have anything to do with threat levels, but here are the following characters who's threat levels I have estimated:

Foxy (Threat level: 3-5 as he's a mischief maker)
Bleuno (Threat level: 6)
Fukkurou (Threat level: 6)
Jyabura (Threat level: 7)
Kalifa (Threat level: 8)
Kaku (Threat level: 8)
Spandam (Threat level: 9-10; although he's physically weak, his ambition is dangerously threatening)
Lucci (Threat level: 9-10; moslty because of his strength, skill, and motives)
Saint Charloss (Threat level: 8; as seen at that auction house)
Magellan (Threat level: 9)
Shiryuu (Threat level 10)
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 23:25   Link #4
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Shiryuu > Magellan?

How'd you calculate this?

Lucci > Magellan?!

Kaku = Kalifa

Kalifa > Jyabura??

what?...
Old 2009-06-01, 23:33   Link #5
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Shiryuu > Magellan?

How'd you calculate this?
Probably because Shiryuu is a lot more ruthless than Magellan. The guy killed so many prisoners just for the sheer pleasure and thrill, which warranted him being imprisoned on death row. Ivankov also stated that Shiryuu was the more dangerous of the two wardens due to the fact that Magellan is in the toilet for so many hours and thus works less hours (Chapter 538 - Page 11).
Old 2009-06-02, 00:58   Link #6
paradox13
zzz

Fair enough.

How would you explain the others though?
Old 2009-06-02, 01:15   Link #7
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Fair enough.

How would you explain the others though?
I can't explain the others because they make absolutely no sense .
Old 2009-06-02, 05:55   Link #8
holyalexander
holy alexander

that's actually a nice theory....
holyalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 14:35   Link #9
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Not sure on how Kalifa could be considered a high threat level, sure she's smart and strong for a women but she would be no where near Lucci or even Kaku for that matter....unless we take her using her "womanly charms" into consideration

well for a dynamic duo, Buggy and Mr 3 have proved quite the threat to the marines

Gotta love the band of bandits that have come to together atm in the manga, its pretty damn cool
Old 2009-06-03, 13:09   Link #10
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I can't explain the others because they make absolutely no sense .
Care to tell me why they made no sense?
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 13:49   Link #11
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Care to tell me why they made no sense?
Magellan beat Luffy effortlessly, whereas Lucci struggled to defeat Luffy and eventually lost in the end by a close call. Magellan's DF ability is also more dangerous than Lucci's. Poison is just more efficient and lethal when dealing with an opponent (as we've seen already). It can potentially harm anyone. Also, Lucci would have to make actual physical contact to hurt Magellan, and by doing so, he would get himself poisoned just like what happened to Luffy. Brawlers in general (like Luffy and Lucci) are at a disadvantage against Magellan's poison.

Kaku = Kalifa makes no sense just by going on their dourikis alone. Kaku's douriki is 2200 and Kalifa's is 610. She doesn't stand a chance against him. Kaku was also amongst the 3 strongest CP9 agents (Lucci, Kaku, and Jyabura), and he happened to fight against Zoro who is a part of the monster trio (Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji - the 3 strongest SH's). These factors make it clearly evident that Kaku is a good deal stronger and more dangerous than Kalifa.

As for Kalifa > Jyabura, the concept is the same as the above paragraph. Jyabura's dourki is 2180 (which is much greater than Kalifa's 610) and he fought against Sanji (3rd strongest SH). It goes without saying that Jyabura>Kalifa in power and threat.

Last edited by Blackbeard D. Kuma; 2009-06-03 at 18:03.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 20:47   Link #12
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
I gotta bring up Kuro now that I have a good thread where I could reasonably talk about him.

I'm upset that he's been out of the loop so long, for me this guy was the reason I stuck with One Piece up to the Arlong Arc and I really wanna know what he's up to.

I can imagine being forced back into a life of piracy was the last thing this grand schemer ever expected and the situation itself couldn't be any worse. I mean can you imagine the tension between the man and his crew after he'd just atempted to slaughter them without remorse? And then of course the fact that Jango is gone. It honestly wouldn't surprise me at all if, should Oda have us happen upon him again, he was either sailing off alone or running with a new crowd.

And you really have to wonder, if Kuro does return, what's his motivation? We had one with Buggy,he wants to become King of the Pirates. We have one with Crocodile, he wanted to pursue the title of King and now has his chance with recent events. But what of Kuro? The only real thing I could see of him would be meeting Luffy again and, while acceptable it does seem too... simple for such a character. Honestly it's this argument that leans me towards him not returning...

But at the same time he's got such great potential. Kuro is entitled as one of the three smartest characters in the East Blue, perhaps in the entire One Piece continuality thus far but don't quote me on that, and it gts me thinking to just what kind of mischief he's been capable of in his long absence. Who knows, the next time we see him he might have made his way into the New World.

Look at his abilities, we have a veritable precurser to CP9's Soru. If he has been on the Grand Line, it would be foolish to think he hasn't improved on it, even Buggy impressed me quite a bit with his progress regardless of its... quality. I'd imagine his own techniques may have even surpassed those of Soru simply due his over-speciallization. I mean could you imagine his Shakushi if he actually knew where he was going?

And then of course, I'd like to see how he reacts to Jango. Much the same way I'd like to see Coby's reaction to Alvida, Fullbody's reaction to seeing Gin again. Hell a lot of the East Blue's gallery have conections in the Grand Line, I think it's about time for a reunion.

"It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.

"Your playing small does not serve the world, there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

"We were all meant to shine as children do.

"It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone.

"And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same.

"As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
BlackNhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 16:34   Link #13
ellifeedn
Thinker

There's something I've been thinking about. The Shichibukai are notorious pirates who had large bounties. People often associate having a larger bounty (or in this case former bounty) with being powerful. Because of this people would assume Crocodile as being one of the weaker Shichibukai. But consider this: the other Shichibukai had to develop very large bounties in order to be considered for the position while Crocodile and Blackbeard got in with much smaller, by comparison, bounties. As we saw with Blackbeard, he got the postion with no bounty because he did something worth the position. You have to wonder what Crocodile did to be offered the position with his bounty worth what it was.

EDIT: I just realized that maybe the reason why Blackbeard didn't get a bounty was because he, technically, didn't do anything against WG.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 18:30   Link #14
Kona
Banned

Why do people keep laughing at buggy? He is odas favorite pirate just remember that..
Kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 20:52   Link #15
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post
Why do people keep laughing at buggy? He is odas favorite pirate just remember that..
because he's funny as hell and in a good way

He's def one of the better characters in OP, gotta love how he goes about stuff.

@ellifeedn: I always thought its rather simple reason he was a Shichibukai, is simply cause he's smart, probably the smartest Shichibukai there is.
Altho like everyone else, he had trouble dealing with the SH's total unpredictability, which lead to his downfall.
Still tho Crocodile is still my fav badass villian.
Old 2009-06-09, 17:08   Link #16
Kona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
because he's funny as hell and in a good way

He's def one of the better characters in OP, gotta love how he goes about stuff.

@ellifeedn: I always thought its rather simple reason he was a Shichibukai, is simply cause he's smart, probably the smartest Shichibukai there is.
Altho like everyone else, he had trouble dealing with the SH's total unpredictability, which lead to his downfall.
Still tho Crocodile is still my fav badass villian.
I meant he is going to have a important role later in the series. He was on rogers ship with rayleigh floating around, how does he not know haki? That really irks me because he should know it. His df i can imagine will be haxxxed, that super spinning move was impressive, even more with if haki is infused with it. He was even with shanks back in the day so if hes in the NW (after all the current manga events.) he will be a serious threat and his crew (alvida, cabaji, mohji all want revenge on SH crew), it would be great to see them fight against SH crew and will be very epic.
Kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 20:56   Link #17
paradox13
zzz

Dude.

Just coz A and B start at the same level doesn't mean they'll always stay at the same level.

Buggy sucks. Accept it.
Old 2009-06-10, 05:31   Link #18
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Telling people to accept doesn't work.

Buggy is great. Accept it.

I'm sure you'll accept it, right?

Everyone has Haki, its just whether they can bring it out and use it and whether their will is strong enough to feed that Haki. If Buggy is to bring out his Haki, he must be at some point serious enough and really wants to get something done.

But when is a time for a clown to get so serious? Buggy loves treasure the most, could he bring out his Haki if he sees someone is going to snatch his treasure in front of his eyes? Does he have the will to bring out his Haki?
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 06:18   Link #19
paradox13
zzz

Haki again.

Why do you keep bringing haki up?

Its pretty obvious that it isn't an ability thats commonplace even in the new world, and you think of all ppl BUGGY can use it?

HAHAHA

ok.
Old 2009-06-10, 06:44   Link #20
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I always mention Haki because sadly people in the West really have no idea what Haki is.

In my Asian perspective and my understanding of the word Haki, and how its applied in both real life and manga, from what I see, the Western world is still clueless about what Haki is. I may not be completely right, but I certainly know he word better than what most westerners do. I may not be Oda, but the way Oda applies Haki in One Piece is similar to what I read in other manga. Haki is common in many old school manga, but in this new generation of manga readers, especially the West, don't seem to know anything about it at all.

My original intention when I made my first posts in this One Piece sub forum is to try and get people to understand Haki. Do read up the Haki Thread from page 3 onwards, you probably need to know what Haki means a little better.

Haki is in everyone, just that people have to know how to bring it out, or have the conditions to bring it out. Some people can bring it out better than others, some just have stronger Haki. And Amazon Lily already showed us that Haki can be so common, that everyone practices it. They live in an environment where Haki is part of their daily life. Anyone can bring out their Haki if they know how to do it.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote