AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

Old 2011-10-08, 13:02   Link #801
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
... the people here seem to be portrayed as having rather severe problems.
This.

At the moment (yes, I know it is only one ep and not much to go on, having not read the baka-tsuki LN translations) it seems that for me the show will sink or swim for me based on how convincingly it portrays the growth process of the main characters in growing out of their problems through interacting with one another.

At least I hope this is what it focuses on.

PLEASE let it be what the series will focus on....
Old 2011-10-08, 15:56   Link #802
potchip

It's a rom-com..when the characters 'grow up', the comedy stops. Don't expect much growth this season at least.
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 16:02   Link #803
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
This.

At the moment (yes, I know it is only one ep and not much to go on, having not read the baka-tsuki LN translations) it seems that for me the show will sink or swim for me based on how convincingly it portrays the growth process of the main characters in growing out of their problems through interacting with one another.

At least I hope this is what it focuses on.

PLEASE let it be what the series will focus on....
most of the time, you're supposed to laugh until you sides hurt and relieve your stress. don't overthink things. I laugh more than baka test, but baka test has more development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potchip View Post
It's a rom-com..when the characters 'grow up', the comedy stops. Don't expect much growth this season at least.
that's really not much romance imo, compared to other things I would classify as rabucon. I won't even classify baka test as rabucon, and I think haganai has as much romance as baka test.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 16:05   Link #804
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Not a bad first episode. Clearly everyone has their issues that have put them here. Though seems like the male lead is more connected to bad timing and appearance. Of course the fact that his old friends have not kept in touch shows he probably didn't have an easy time making true friends from the beginning. Though for now seems like he'll have to play ref between the two girls.

Only read a couple chapters of the manga so going in pretty fresh here. Should be interesting to see how things go for this club.
Old 2011-10-08, 16:43   Link #805
Itlandm
Porcupine

What a cute and innocent story about lonely young people reaching out for friendship! And set in a religious school, at that. This looks like it could become my anime of the season. I don't have time to watch lots of movies these days, so I am glad I found one that is suitable for all ages.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 16:45   Link #806
demonkevy666

the little bit of pink on Yozora's lips can make a man wild

the animation quality is really good too.
demonkevy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 18:32   Link #807
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
while the people here seem to be portrayed as having rather severe problems.
A funny little trivia:

Yozora was described as "Except for her looks, everything about her is terrible."

Sena was described as "Except for her personality, everything about her is perfect."

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
the little bit of pink on Yozora's lips can make a man wild
All of Buriki's girls have that
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 18:32   Link #808
LC
Shocking Pink

<----Here to claim this Yozora avvy.

Haven't watched the episode yet, but glad to see that it's been well-received. The OP is too fanservice-y for my taste so I hope that isn't an indicator of things to come.
Old 2011-10-08, 19:11   Link #809
potchip

Seen various ways to translate zennan, which is the common theme for this show. It's hard to capture it in english but I think unfortunate is probably the closest. It implies a meaning of 'could've been, too bad, if only' etc. So it's all about appearance being deceiving and those rather unfortunate and unexplained trait of the characters that made them what they are. And looks like these traits will quickly be established in no time. So the OP and ED are also trolling in a way, like the PV in 00 (which, is not aimed at new comers to begin with given it's bundled with the LN vol 7, and given the LN is topping charts they don't even need to make a generic PV as the LN fanbase is big enough).

To get an idea of the popularity of this show, which without doubt many elitist will dismiss the series for this reason alone, it is dominating the blue-ray disk sales on Amazon Japan.
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 20:04   Link #810
Shimapan
Try me! <3

I can say I enjoyed the first episode. Being forewarned about the OP, I simply muted it, and it couldn't annoy me

The Denpa-like artwork is very well done. Story-wise, it's a little reminiscent of Haruhi, but not too much.

Now we have three members who all are in the same boat, for various reasons:

- Kodaka is a "Half" with blonde hair, which already leads to some prejudice. Then he takes the wrong bus and comes too late the first day. Finally, he stumbles in class, panting heavily, making it look as if he wanted to assault the teacher. Strike three - you're out. With that, his reputation as a delinquent was finally settled.

- Yozora always makes an angry, unhappy face in class, which is probably why she's avoided by others. However, she probably only makes an angry face because she is being avoided by others. Nasty vicious circle there.

- Sena finally is always swarmed by guys, but is annoyed by that because all those guys are doormats who like it when she steps on then. She's avoided by the other girls because they're envious of her being swarmed by guys.

So they all have no friends for various reasons. Seems to me they fit together pretty well. Especially Yozora and Sena with their constant bickering fit together just fine

Overall, very nice episode. From that cacophony of an OP, I had expected worse.
I'm already curious for ep. 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Some freebies

Could you change it so that there's a 20 second pause between the loops?
Old 2011-10-08, 22:38   Link #811
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I wonder if this will inspire a social group for people with 0 friends?
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 00:29   Link #812
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Saw the first episode. While the idea of what constitutes friendship is interesting, there are a few things that I am really confused about. I find it very hard to believe that none of these characters, including the male, wouldn't have anyone who at least talks to them in real life. Also the idea of hot girls only having shallow friends and wanting to make real ones is an interesting concept, but unless the show continues to flesh that out throughout its run, it just looks like an excuse to not have any ugly people in this club, as this episode didn't touch on that all that much. And I'm not against girls making a majority of the cast, but there isn't one other guy in that club. And I really hate when someone takes an interesting idea and turns it into a generic harem (*cough*ToLoveRu*cough*). I don't know if it will, but I'll find out as I continue watching this.

Edit: Okay, according to what I've read, one of the things I wrote is actually wrong. I won't say what I got wrong, but I will say "are you kidding me"?

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck

Last edited by Flawfinder; 2011-10-09 at 02:17.
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 03:31   Link #813
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
If you do both her and Yozora would be mine for the taking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Welcome aboard, comrade.
Wait a minute, I was joking about her voice! I'm not saying I'm willing to actualy die for her, since she's not that violent. ....Right?
Quote:
Woah didn't know you had a fetish for green-haired girls too. *high fives midoritron*
I say green-haired girls are so few in number. And even if one did come along, I get heavily trolled as it would usually be a short haired girl
Quote:
ahahaha, trying to get some fellow member banned? though i shouldn't talk with my current sig
But Rika is wagging her butt on her own accord! But... this must be a hint, as I haven't seen anyone use this avatar yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
By the way, just for the record in case anyone's wondering, the Blu-Ray solicitations say that this show will have 12 episodes. Of course, this doesn't bar future seasons if it does well.
I was about to mention that, I guess it confirms the TV guide which also listed 12 eps, with the final one airin just before xmas day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
I can say I enjoyed the first episode. Being forewarned about the OP, I simply muted it, and it couldn't annoy me
I must be missing something here, but what is it about the OP some don't seem to like? But then again I didn't really watch K-on, so maybe I wouldn't know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
Saw the first episode. While the idea of what constitutes friendship is interesting, there are a few things that I am really confused about. I find it very hard to believe that none of these characters, including the male, wouldn't have anyone who at least talks to them in real life. Also the idea of hot girls only having shallow friends and wanting to make real ones is an interesting concept, but unless the show continues to flesh that out throughout its run, it just looks like an excuse to not have any ugly people in this club, as this episode didn't touch on that all that much. And I'm not against girls making a majority of the cast, but there isn't one other guy in that club. And I really hate when someone takes an interesting idea and turns it into a generic harem (*cough*ToLoveRu*cough*). I don't know if it will, but I'll find out as I continue watching this.

You bring up some interesting points, although I think comparing this series to a harem is a bit of a stretch. For one one thing, one of them is still a little child, the other happens to be his sister, and one of them wants to be a "man like him", I would go on but really, I truly believe later on most, if not all of your above concerns will be explained in due time, at least I think it would.

For example why none of them really have friends to talk to, these characters aren't exactly sane people But I wanted to touch on something in particular, when you note how there's only 1 male in the club. You know, that recruitment poster. Either this is some stealthy hint that guys aren't smart enough to figure out it's true meaning, or there really is no guy who will figure it out. Remember when Kodaka read it? He had to be told of it. I bring this up because I will note throughout the episode whenever Yozora was talking about friendships, most of the focus was on girls doing things with their girl friends, and in a way one can see this series as Yozora really looking for a female friend to talk to. Of course I think too much, but I'm a manga reader and anything regarding the novel is off limits in my brain.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 06:08   Link #814
ookamigirl

Kodaka & that Yozora girl weird sure are a good pair ^^"
Those two just fit together 'cause they're kinda similar.
Poor Kodaka, just a misunderstood nice guy...
Will be watching this one! It's pretty interesting.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 08:36   Link #815
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Ah... that was pretty fun. This should meet my guilty pleasure quota for the season.
Old 2011-10-09, 11:26   Link #816
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Finally got round to watching this, I tell ya Battlefield 3 is gonna suck the life outta me >__<

First thing, is a little niggle I've had from before is whether or not Marina Inoue suits the role or Yozora and well tbh verdict is still out on this matter.
I can't say she's bad at the role cause she's not, just her voice doesn;t quite seem to suit Yozora as I imagined(maybe something I just need to get over with the coming eps)
Still this doesn't take anything away from the series atm so all good I guess.

As for the ep itself, great fun stuff. Can't argue with anything so far.

Now something thats totally caught me off is the little pink ribbons in Yozora's hair, I totally didn;t know she had em before
I have no idea how that passed me by, she seems alot cuter to me now cause of it lol.

But the Meat is still my fav

can't wait for next ep!
Old 2011-10-09, 11:44   Link #817
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

I just read some of the manga, and I can safely say I think I get why these people don't have friends. They're not just insane. They're really insane.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 11:45   Link #818
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Hmm. The character design came nicely for me, so I guess it's best for me to turn my eyes away from the manga right now, as it is what which bothers me the most. Anyway, a single glance and I guess AIC's borrowing from SHAFT Denpa Onna's character designer, guess it's to stay true to Buriki's style eh.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 13:12   Link #819
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Ah... that was pretty fun. This should meet my guilty pleasure quota for the season.
I know right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
I just read some of the manga, and I can safely say I think I get why these people don't have friends. They're not just insane. They're really insane.
Sold!
Old 2011-10-09, 14:01   Link #820
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Is this not because both the anime and the manga are adaptations of the light novels (the original source material), and the original character designs are by the same artist who did Erio/Meme/etc.?
I suppose I just prefer the manga's art style. I just never got the whole 'cutesy' / 'cupie doll' / moe vibe from the manga. The fan service stayed with the chapter openers / covers, which just lead their crazy antics / personalities do the rest. That's the real strength of the show, but then I guess pushing the 'moe' angle isn't something I should be surprised about, it's clearly a bonus to many people watching.

Quote:
Comparing the manga to the anime is like comparing one deviation to another, whereas I guess the more insightful question (if there is to be one) is which of the two more closely adapt the source. In other words, I wonder if the light novels also push this same angle you dislike (and it's clear there that the characters will look absolutely like descendants of Erio and Meme, given the artist). I guess it's still totally legitimate to like the manga more than the anime, but I'm not sure if it's totally fair to criticize the anime's direction too harshly if it's following the source more faithfully. Of course, I'm not familiar with either the novel or manga myself, so I'm just throwing that out there as an idea/concept.
Yeah, the novel could also push the same angle, I have yet to read it. I'll still watch and all that, it won't deter me from enjoying it I'm sure. Just a slight little nitpick is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Jeeze, why all the foreplay? Isn't it simpler to just come out straight and say that you dislike Buriki's design?
What foreplay? I like Buriki's design, I just don't entirely think it fits / works here.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, light novel adaptation, romance, shounen