AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-03-22, 14:50   Link #1
4sostrander
The Demon of the Desert

Post-Anime Depression?

Hi, all! I haven't posted in a while, sadly...But! I wanted to post about a topic that has been bugging me ever since I finished both Clannad and ToraDora! this morning. It's that empty feeling you get at the end of a great anime (or in Clannad's case, Visual Novel). This only happens rarely, though. I'd say it's just romances that do it for me, but not even all of those do it. Like Elfen Lied did it, and it's an action. But Spice and Wolf, although not really a romance, did not give me this depression. I usually actually cry at the end of series, and I cried so hard at the end of ToraDora!'s, although it was such a happy ending. Same thing happened with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Azumanga Daioh (I haven't seen the anime yet, is it good? I've only read the manga sixteen times.) I guess the objective of this post is to really just ask you guys if you get the same feeling when an anime so great just..ends?

To expand a bit, actually, this only happens with animes. Not television shows or movies. Not even cartoons that I like. Not video games that have a phenomenal story, or book series (except for one, which was the Night Angel Trilogy). For me, it's strictly anime, it seems. Does this happen to you as well, or are there other things that bring about this depression when they end?

(Sorry if this isn't in the right section, I felt that it was, so I posted it here.)
Old 2012-03-22, 14:57   Link #2
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

I do tend to be left with empty but satisfied feeling when I'm done watching a great anime or reading a great novel. I definitely felt sad and empty when I was done watching Akage no An or reading War and Peace.
Old 2012-03-22, 15:29   Link #3
4sostrander
The Demon of the Desert

huh, okay. See, my feeling is almost akin to that of the great heartbreak that you get when you're rejected by a girl/boy you've liked for months or years.
Old 2012-03-22, 15:35   Link #4
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
It all depends upon the execution of the end... no matter how it ends, unless there's the announcement of a second season or whatnot, it's a case of you've watched the show and unless you re-watch it, you're not going to see these characters again in new situation. If the ending has wrapped up all loose ties, then it's a very satisfying feeling. If not... well, then it's mostly frustration, no matter how good the rest of the series was.

Actually, I've only been truly depressed after finishing one series: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. If you ask most fans about it, they'll tell you it's an awesome, kick-ass show. I agree with this... up till the ending (which is why I will never be able to watch this series again)

Spoiler for MAJOR spoilers for how TTGL Ends:

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 16:31   Link #5
Eragon
Still Alive

The first time I got depressed after seeing an anime was Fate/Stay Night's last episode
Spoiler for Fate/Stay Night last episode:

But after watching 4-5 shows where the romance remains unfulfilled I became used to it. The other anime that really got me depressed was Elfen Lied - no need to explain why. And the third and final time that I got depressed was after watching Grave of the Fireflies - man that was the most depressing thing I've ever seen.
Old 2012-03-22, 16:37   Link #6
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
That depression is nothing but proof of your love towards a particular anime/manga. And the sudden realization that it simply is no more.

The feeling is in no way exclusive to anime. But people usually stumble upon anime in their teens. It's new so the emotions aren't dulled yet, but it happens eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sostrander View Post
..., and Azumanga Daioh (I haven't seen the anime yet, is it good? I've only read the manga sixteen times.)
That's some dedication.

I've only seen the anime. However, as a Yotsuba fan, I feel the animated series did a nice job of expressing the manga's overall mood and atmosphere. The soundtrack compliments whatever happens on screen, VAs were carefully picked and the animation is non-intrusive. Give it a try.
Old 2012-03-22, 16:38   Link #7
Drob_QB7
AYE SIR!

Thought i was just weird for felling this way but i guess not. This is why i am picky when it comes to anime's and mangas i dont really read/watch it if it is completed and if i do i usually even if it does ruin it see if the ending is at least conclusive to a certain extent. I find nothing worse then a unconclusive open-like ending that at least does not have a manga running or sequel.

But maybe it's just me who acts like that.
Drob_QB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 16:40   Link #8
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
The feeling is in no way exclusive to anime. But people usually stumble upon anime in their teens. It's new so the emotions aren't dulled yet, but it happens eventually.
As a much older person, it still exists; but yea, it's certainly not as strong as it used to be. When there's "nothing better" to watch at a given moment, I just watch some old favorites, that I haven't watched in a while. If I am really up to it, I'd just clean up some episode summaries in Wikipedia.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 16:42   Link #9
Echoes

Quote:
I usually actually cry at the end of series, and I cried so hard at the end of ToraDora!'s, although it was such a happy ending.
I think that's wonderful. It takes something very emotionally evocative to move me to tears, but it does happen, and that always makes the series very memorable in my mind. I'm past the point where every series I watch affects me greatly, but the ones who make an impact, I'm always very sad to see to, and that might leave me a little depressed afterwards, pining for more.

When I watch something amazing, something engrossing and sublime, I often find that I need a little break from anime afterwards. In the aftermath of viewing something of that magnitude, I tend to get the feeling that nothing I'll watch can live up to what I just saw. As a nice side effect, it gives me some time to reflect and think about what I just watched, cementing it in my mind.

Quote:
Azumanga Daioh (I haven't seen the anime yet, is it good?
I've only read a little bit of the manga, but the anime I find to be absolutely delightful. One of my absolutely favorite comedies, with charm, warm characters, pleasant visuals and unforgettable humor. It's generally highly regarded and viewed as somewhat of a classic by the anime community at large, so I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Old 2012-03-22, 16:47   Link #10
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Azumanga Daioh (I haven't seen the anime yet, is it good? I've only read the manga sixteen times.)
It's good, but it makes you sleepy. It's somehow simultaneously a very mellow, very high-energy anime.
Old 2012-03-22, 17:10   Link #11
Dr. Casey

Definitely know how you feel, I've certainly felt a bit sad many times whenever a good anime's come to an end. Thanks to the fresh supply of new series each season the bittersweetness is lessened, though, it would be a lot worse if I didn't have new animes to serve as a rebound. Don't feel bad about finishing Clannad though, since it's a Visual Novel there should still be other paths to go down. Unless you've finished every route in the game anyway, in which case you can go back to being sad.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 17:16   Link #12
warita
Dai-Youkai

This used to happen to me more often, when I was a kid and teenager. Back then with books and now... hmmm, with anime.

I felt the worst with Inuyasha. It was the first anime I seriously watched and after I was done with the 167 episodes from the old series, I was not only hooked on anime, I was an Inuyasha junkie. It was a hard time back then.

I have had a few similar fits after finishing another great series, but never as bad as with Inuyasha. At some point I learned, that the feeling of emptyness or even depression wont last forever and I will recover..... so I dont take it so seriously anymore.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 17:29   Link #13
4sostrander
The Demon of the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
That's some dedication.
Yeah, I am definitely devoted to Azumanga. The manga is just so amazingly awesome. I can't stop reading it...whenever I buy a new novel, regardless of if it's full sized or graphic or light, I read my Azumanga Ultimate Edition twice. I don't even mean to, it just happens.

As to the rest of you, you are all living proof that this forum is the best. Within an hour, there are over a dozen responses. That, my friends, is awesome

It's great to know I'm not the only one who suffers from the PAD, as I've come to call it. I'm now going to watch the second Eden of the East movie. Hopefully, it won't send me into tears. Tchus!
Old 2012-03-22, 17:53   Link #14
Forsaken_Infinity

Yeah, the void left by the absence of an awesome anime after it ends is really something else. It drives me crazy and makes me play video games or try anime that I would never otherwise try (such as really cheap ecchi and fanservice ones) for a short while.

But I have gotten a heck lot better at dealing with this. You could say I have become truly seasoned.
Old 2012-03-22, 17:54   Link #15
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Yes I get it all of the time.

The hardest its ever hit me was Welcome to the NHK.

Those characters felt like true humans, in a way that no other anime has ever gotten to me.

I watched it before I started college and the week before I would leave I walked around the neighborhood, sighing at the fall leaves while listening to the NHK OST on my ipod.

I still suffer from it all the time, steins;gate was something that I really love that I just can't get enough.
SRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 18:01   Link #16
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
It's great to know I'm not the only one who suffers from the PAD, as I've come to call it. I'm now going to watch the second Eden of the East movie. Hopefully, it won't send me into tears. Tchus!
I wouldn't call it suffering. Whenever it happens, I know I've watched something beautiful and that it was a nicely spent time of my life.

As all manner of art should be...
Old 2012-03-22, 18:16   Link #17
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Yosuga no Sora and Clannad AS in very good way.
School Days in very, very, very, very bad way.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 18:21   Link #18
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
School Days in very, very, very, very bad way.
Yeah, I totally get what you mean. With most anime I feel sad in a way that makes me appreciate the time I spent with the characters more deeply, wheras School Days just left me so sad that I was finished with the greatest masterpiece of our time that I couldn't bring myself to eat or bathe for weeks.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 18:49   Link #19
Anime-fan10

I can relate to what you're saying about being emotionally connected to the anime. I think many of us on this forum can relate to that; we become interested, connected, and sometimes live vicariously through these characters. That's totally natural and it's a good catharsis for you to release all that emotion through tears or by talking about it. Personally, I don't cry, but I do feel sadness when an anime I really liked has ended. However, as time goes on and I think about those anime, I smile and it makes me feel happy to have experienced something so great. Also, I know I can go back and watch that anime whenever I want and relive some of those emotions.

You mentioned that you don't feel that way towards video games, movies,etc, but I feel that way after reading a good book, watching a movie, and playing a great video game. Sometimes I'll listen to music from the movie, video game, or anime and it takes me back to that particular scene or episode of the experience and nostalgia kicks in; it's a nice feeling. Like I said before, knowing that I can go back and re-watch/re-play/re-read those things helps comfort me.
Anime-fan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 19:16   Link #20
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Minami-ke....but that might be more withdrawl syndrome.