Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2013-05-15, 04:06   Link #1
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Ryonea's Digital and Pencil Artworks

I've been considering to open my own creations thread since I joined here, but I worry it'll be neglected instead.
Thanks to a push from a friend over here, well... here's the thread.

Just like the thread's name, my creations will revolve mostly around forum signatures and also drawings. Hopefully I can keep bringing updates.

Anyway, here are the works I did:

Spoiler for Signatures:

Spoiler for Drawings:

Most of my drawings can be found in my deviantArt account
Opinions are welcome, and thanks for visiting!
Old 2013-05-15, 06:06   Link #2
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quite a few good stuff here. You are improving steadily with each drawing, and I'd imagine when the latest Love-Live drawing gets colored it'd look great. My favorite is probably the wallpaper of your original character. Very cute. Also that rabbit.

On your drawing in general; first of all, I'm envious of how nice those hands look. Its the right size and everything. There are no problems with your anatomy and clothing either. The next stage in my opinion would be to make your drawings less "stiff" looking and more flowy and natural. So keep drawing and look at more professional illustrations.

You know how to pick your colors well. It's a bit similar to how I color in that you prefer them vibrant rather than muted.

Now, shadows. In cloth fabrics, I think you could try to use more solid brushes and less soft brushes to give the clothing more definition. In the Party drawing, a bit more shadows, wrinkles and creases on clothing can help in defining the girl's backbone and bottom or the pecs on the guy.
Soft brushes can be used to define depth where hard shadows can't, but they sometimes have the effect of making things look "cloudy", which I noticed in the hair coloring of your original character.
But this gradient-ed style you have going on their clothing is quite nice as well. Reminds me of chocolate bars and sport cars.

Overall, you're doing great. Keep it up!

(Oh, if you still want me to color a drawing for you, post a lineart and I'll get to it.)

(Also, to answer your question in my thread, I use a 4 by 6 inches Bamboo Pen & Touch)
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 20:30   Link #3
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Quite a few good stuff here. You are improving steadily with each drawing, and I'd imagine when the latest Love-Live drawing gets colored it'd look great. My favorite is probably the wallpaper of your original character. Very cute. Also that rabbit.
Thanks, glad you liked her. I designed her based on the rabbit, actually (notice the gray colors on her clothing) but using my own take of personification.

Quote:
On your drawing in general; first of all, I'm envious of how nice those hands look. Its the right size and everything. There are no problems with your anatomy and clothing either. The next stage in my opinion would be to make your drawings less "stiff" looking and more flowy and natural. So keep drawing and look at more professional illustrations.
Well, actually I personally feel that it's the hands that needs more work still can't get the fingers look like what I want. You can see in the paper drawings that there are most traces of erasers around the fingers. As for the anatomy... I use my own measures for proportions. I use the head as the measuring tool (The body is around 1-2 heads length, so does the arms, etc.).

I see... will try to alter my lines then is it the pencil drawings or the digital ones that you find rather stiff? or both?

Quote:
You know how to pick your colors well. It's a bit similar to how I color in that you prefer them vibrant rather than muted.

Now, shadows. In cloth fabrics, I think you could try to use more solid brushes and less soft brushes to give the clothing more definition. In the Party drawing, a bit more shadows, wrinkles and creases on clothing can help in defining the girl's backbone and bottom or the pecs on the guy.
Soft brushes can be used to define depth where hard shadows can't, but they sometimes have the effect of making things look "cloudy", which I noticed in the hair coloring of your original character.
But this gradient-ed style you have going on their clothing is quite nice as well. Reminds me of chocolate bars and sport cars.
I see... my friends also suggested me to use more solid brushes and darker colors. I guess I was too afraid to try. As for the soft brushes and gradients, I use them to "fill" the empty areas, especially skins. But it's difficult to get it right for sure...

And to be honest though, I don't know what I'm doing with the colors hence why they look so random.
Coloring has always been difficult for me, not only I still don't get the sense, I lack the tool (and consequently, time) as well. I don't have a tablet and I always need to borrow my friend's. That's why how it's been around 3 years since the first time I tried digital coloring, but I only colored 4 drawings. So whenever I can borrow a tablet, I have to cram on it :eh:
This is also part of a reason why I need someone else to do the colors.

Quote:
Overall, you're doing great. Keep it up!

(Oh, if you still want me to color a drawing for you, post a lineart and I'll get to it.)

(Also, to answer your question in my thread, I use a 4 by 6 inches Bamboo Pen & Touch)
Thanks a lot, that's a lot of useful feedback from you
Yeah, I'm considering whether I want you to color that Alisa fanart or should I create a new drawing instead. I'll notify you when I can finally decide.

I see, Bamboo pen & touch. All of my friends are intuos4 (medium sized) users, they told me that it has better pressure control over Bamboo. But since I'm still a newbie in digital drawings and still can't get used to tablets (hence why I always draw on paper, scan, and trace on SAI) I'm wondering if Bamboo should be more than enough since it's far more affordable. Too bad there are no shops which could provide the tablets for testing. I want to compare the feel on Bamboo and Intuos, if there's only slight difference between them, then I'd go for Bamboo.
Old 2013-05-16, 09:34   Link #4
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
I see... will try to alter my lines then is it the pencil drawings or the digital ones that you find rather stiff? or both?
The pencil, which in turn affects the digital ones if you trace directly. In my opinion, I'd like to see the bodies flex and bend more, make bolder poses.

Quote:
And to be honest though, I don't know what I'm doing with the colors hence why they look so random.
Coloring has always been difficult for me, not only I still don't get the sense, I lack the tool (and consequently, time) as well.
The main thing about coloring for me is the sense. This is why I think looking at and studying drawings done by good Japanese illustrators is very important. It's not something that you practice on your own and hope it will come to you. Look at good drawings from your favorite illustrators and see what colors go together, what kind of shapes are made to form a shadow or highlights and where are they being placed. Illustrators usually have rules they follow for this. Then try to replicate what they're doing (this is where it'd be good to have a tablet).

The Bamboo series in my opinion is more than good enough for anime-style drawings. It takes a few months to get used to, but after that one should start to feel the creative liberty in their pen.
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2013-05-16, 20:44   Link #5
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
The pencil, which in turn affects the digital ones if you trace directly. In my opinion, I'd like to see the bodies flex and bend more, make bolder poses.
I see... if that's the case I guess It is rooted from my lining habits.
As for bolder poses, honestly it's one of my weaknesses.

Quote:
The main thing about coloring for me is the sense. This is why I think looking at and studying drawings done by good Japanese illustrators is very important. It's not something that you practice on your own and hope it will come to you. Look at good drawings from your favorite illustrators and see what colors go together, what kind of shapes are made to form a shadow or highlights and where are they being placed. Illustrators usually have rules they follow for this. Then try to replicate what they're doing (this is where it'd be good to have a tablet).

The Bamboo series in my opinion is more than good enough for anime-style drawings. It takes a few months to get used to, but after that one should start to feel the creative liberty in their pen.
Actually, I have the same view as you. It's all about the sense gained through training. But like what I said before, I'm limited to the tool so there's very limited chance to learn and experiment unless I have it myself. I also use references every time I feel I need them, but mostly the executions are far from I wanted to... But despite all of those though, I learned new things every time I trained hopefully I can make use them properly in the future.

Very true, I always feel that tablet pen is too slippery since I'm used to draw with pencils and papers
Old 2013-05-22, 10:05   Link #6
Assort Dis

I also can't wait to see your Ayase's drawing in color

And it's true that tablet pen can feel uncomfortable at first but it's amazing how you can get used to it in a short time. It took me only a week of playing around to be able to draw like on paper.

I also share your point about reference and execution. The result always seem completely different from what I had in mind.
Old 2013-05-27, 07:12   Link #7
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assort Dis View Post
I also can't wait to see your Ayase's drawing in color

And it's true that tablet pen can feel uncomfortable at first but it's amazing how you can get used to it in a short time. It took me only a week of playing around to be able to draw like on paper.

I also share your point about reference and execution. The result always seem completely different from what I had in mind.
Let's see what I can do with that... hopefully I can lend a tablet again

Really? that's very quick IMO. I've been using it for... maybe around 2 weeks (total time that I was lent) and still can't get the hang of it. Feels very slippery to me, but maybe that's quite connected with how I draw (I tend to press the pencil/pen to have more grip).

Haha, yeah. We simply need more practice

Thanks for dropping by, btw.
Old 2013-06-01, 09:11   Link #8
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Have some free time in the last 2 days, so I managed to finish this:

Images
Alisa Ayase
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-06-01, 21:01   Link #9
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

That came out very clean and nice. Very impressed with how thin and concise your lines are.

Once again, I like the color scheme used here. It's like a strawberry shortcake, and the way the hair is colored makes it look like gingerbread.
I also thought the mp3 player and that hair accessory looked great.

I think you're coming along nicely. By looking at more drawings you'll start to remember things like to make sure the waistband of the skirt should look like its under the hoodie. Just wondering, are there any particular illustrators or anime/manga character designs you consider inspirations for your drawing?
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2013-06-01, 21:28   Link #10
Assort Dis

That's really nice job you did there!

I like your color choice, very soft and nice to the eyes. It looks like you are also progressing well with shading. I also agree that the mp3 player looks good, you managed to make it feel like it has weight. Not to mention the string's shadow on her clothes, nice attention to details there.

I also like that soft pink under her lip, it strengthens her cuteness.

Overall, great job and looking forward to more from you ^^
Old 2013-06-02, 23:35   Link #11
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
That came out very clean and nice. Very impressed with how thin and concise your lines are.

Once again, I like the color scheme used here. It's like a strawberry shortcake, and the way the hair is colored makes it look like gingerbread.
I also thought the mp3 player and that hair accessory looked great.

I think you're coming along nicely. By looking at more drawings you'll start to remember things like to make sure the waistband of the skirt should look like its under the hoodie. Just wondering, are there any particular illustrators or anime/manga character designs you consider inspirations for your drawing?
Your food analogies really crack me up, lol
but yeah, since the last drawing (new year) I was experimenting by adding more shading types: dark gradient, light gradient, and highlights. I'm sticking with them for a while since I think they solved my "empty area" problem quite well (at least for me). They're also the reason why I'm able to put more feel of depth to the hairpin and iPod.

As for the skirt, I intended the hoodie to be worn a bit leaning forward (that's why there's a tiny shadow on around the back area on her skirt) but I can see why it might not seem that way

Hmm.. I do have many favorite illustrators and series but I don't use any of them as a role model for my drawings. Surely, though, there are some new elements and tid bits in everything I've seen that I incorporated to my drawings.
There are people who told me that my drawings look a bit similar to certain series, but that's expected.
But maybe there's one for coloring. I want my coloring to be able to at least look like Tsunako's (Choujigen Game Neptune, Date A Live, Fairy Fencer F)

Spoiler for example:

^ Don't really know the name of that kind of coloring style.

Thanks for the comment, btw.

Quote:
That's really nice job you did there!

I like your color choice, very soft and nice to the eyes. It looks like you are also progressing well with shading. I also agree that the mp3 player looks good, you managed to make it feel like it has weight. Not to mention the string's shadow on her clothes, nice attention to details there.

I also like that soft pink under her lip, it strengthens her cuteness.

Overall, great job and looking forward to more from you ^^
Thank you glad that you noticed those minor details. I tried to put everything I noticed, but in the end I'm still missing some for example, that earphone cable should be partially shaded, but in the end I overlooked it since it's difficult to do, lol XD

as for the lip shade, that's how it is from the anime, I'm just imitating it

Spoiler for reference:

--------------------------

This morning I did a quick drawing for my ID in deviantArt
Spoiler for for the lolz:
Old 2013-06-04, 06:32   Link #12
Assort Dis

Pretty good for a quick drawing. Seeing as it's anime, I hope that it'd look somewhat similar to the real person, though

Btw, what a coincidence that I also aim to draw like Tsunako. I've been using her arts as the source of motivation and reference
Old 2013-06-04, 08:02   Link #13
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Pretty good for a quick drawing. Seeing as it's anime, I hope that it'd look somewhat similar to the real person, though

Btw, what a coincidence that I also aim to draw like Tsunako. I've been using her arts as the source of motivation and reference
Color-wise (skin tone, eyes, and hair), it's pretty accurate I think it's quite similar to me in my 17... when I'm still slender.

That's a good example, then I discovered her works from the 1st Neptune game. I'm not really interested with the game, only the artworks the best charm of her artworks are being simple yet wonderful IMO.
Old 2013-06-05, 05:52   Link #14
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

It's cute and all...but you forgot to add sparkles!!!

And thanks for the attention to Tsunako. Never really paid her drawings a second glance before, but now I'm really loving the work on the Neptune series!
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2013-06-05, 20:56   Link #15
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
It's cute and all...but you forgot to add sparkles!!!

And thanks for the attention to Tsunako. Never really paid her drawings a second glance before, but now I'm really loving the work on the Neptune series!
Err.. "cute"? and adding sparkles would definitely just make people puke on the spot

It seems Tsunako's been working on several projects before Neptune game, but I think the Neptune series is the start of her rising popularity now it's like she's the main artist for Compile Heart games.

----

I'm thinking to do another drawing (but don't expect it to be soon ), anyone can suggest me on the pose? please don't suggest the really difficult ones
Old 2013-06-06, 20:40   Link #16
Assort Dis

Is it going to be a fan art? Well, how about whoever that character is in a "just woke up" pose? Yawning and preferably half naked ^^
Old 2013-06-07, 01:23   Link #17
Suomi
Kaiba

Your stuff is absolutely stunning. I'm not a digi-artist so I can't critique it at all, but the lineart is amazing and so is the coloring. It all honestly looks beautiful to me, especially the latest colored one with the blue-white colored hair...GORGEOUS. <3 I want to learn to do digital painting. Oh no. A tablet. Yet another thing I want to spend my money on. NOOOO. *runs far away*
*recovers* sorry. Anyawy, keep up the great work. I would agree with Assort Dis on the half naked part...just woke up is nice too.
Old 2013-06-08, 21:22   Link #18
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Is it going to be a fan art? Well, how about whoever that character is in a "just woke up" pose? Yawning and preferably half naked ^^
Why do I sense that you're trying to "kill" me with your idea
It'll be difficult but I think I could do it if I can find a good reference. Still haven't decided who the character will be, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suomi View Post
Your stuff is absolutely stunning. I'm not a digi-artist so I can't critique it at all, but the lineart is amazing and so is the coloring. It all honestly looks beautiful to me, especially the latest colored one with the blue-white colored hair...GORGEOUS. <3 I want to learn to do digital painting. Oh no. A tablet. Yet another thing I want to spend my money on. NOOOO. *runs far away*
*recovers* sorry. Anyawy, keep up the great work. I would agree with Assort Dis on the half naked part...just woke up is nice too.
Thanks for the visit and the comment
I'm glad that you like my works, although I still have much to learn for sure.

You can do digital drawings with only a mouse, just like my first 2 digital drawings (Mirai and Demon Girl), but it'll be very time and energy consuming IMO... so having a tablet would definitely be a great help.

About the half-naked thingy... well, let's just see whether I can make it or not
Old 2013-06-09, 00:08   Link #19
Suomi
Kaiba

(she (or he I guess...if it's gonna be half naked) should also have neko ears)
Old 2013-06-09, 21:32   Link #20
Assort Dis

Quote:
Why do I sense that you're trying to "kill" me with your idea
What!? No such thing! I am not purposefully making it hard for you! *looks away while speaking*

Quote:
About the half-naked thingy... well, let's just see whether I can make it or not
Well, I was only suggesting to draw a girl with only the shirt on, though...