AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2011-05-03, 19:01   Link #8081
AnimeFangirl

Right, but where did that idea that kissing is a sign of affection come from on A-tan's part?
Old 2011-05-03, 22:43   Link #8082
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
Right, but where did that idea that kissing is a sign of affection come from on A-tan's part?
She took a degree on human relationship at Havard...

... No seriously, is it really that shocking for a kid to know that kissing equals affection? The whole world isn't exactly trying to keep it a secret
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 02:43   Link #8083
Used Can

You've simply got to see your parents kissing to realise it's a form of affection. I'm sure any kid understands that much. I swear, it's not rocket science.
Old 2011-05-04, 08:01   Link #8084
AnimeFangirl

Exactly, but where are Athena's parents? No parents, no TV, no magazines, where did she get all those ideas from?
Old 2011-05-04, 13:01   Link #8085
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Exactly, but where are Athena's parents? No parents, no TV, no magazines, where did she get all those ideas from?
but she does have her pool which allows her to look outside.

Also just because we don't see her parents then doesn't really mean much. Unless she grew entirely alone in the Castle. She at least had some contact with her parents before they died/disappear.
Old 2011-05-04, 13:27   Link #8086
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
You might as well ask how she learned to talk. She knows things that most kids her age would know, and a lot they wouldn't. Kisses are the former, so why don't you spend your time wondering how she knows magic? Or swordfighting?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 18:19   Link #8087
AnimeFangirl

I've been wondering all those things as well, this just happened to come up earlier.
Old 2011-05-04, 22:11   Link #8088
Used Can

Quote:
Exactly, but where are Athena's parents?
This is something we don't know. Yet, we do know that parents are (or were, back then) a touchy subject for Athena.

She does have a family though, since at some point during the EotW arc (I think by the time Hayate was trying to get that ring for Athena), a newspaper was shown and in it there was an article that said something like "The whereabouts of the daughter of the Tennōsu remain unknown." So, she's not some magical girl born from the force. She does have a family - or used to have one.
Old 2011-05-05, 07:15   Link #8089
AnimeFangirl

What the... I don't remember that! Which chapter? Which page?
Old 2011-05-05, 12:01   Link #8090
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
What the... I don't remember that! Which chapter? Which page?
beginning of the greek island arc.
Old 2011-05-05, 12:35   Link #8091
AnimeFangirl

I was hoping for something a little more specific...
Old 2011-05-05, 14:16   Link #8092
Used Can

Quote:
I was hoping for something a little more specific...
Chapter 184, page 12, panel #4.
"天王洲家ご令嬢、いまだ行方不明"
TL: "The daughter of the Tennōsu is still missing."
Old 2011-05-05, 14:17   Link #8093
AnimeFangirl

Excellent, thanks.
Old 2011-05-08, 02:11   Link #8094
Sol Falling

Just began reading Hayate for a couple weeks now...damn, that whole Golden Week arc really bludgeoned me over the head with this manga's awesomeness. I never thought such an absurd moe comedy manga could manage to pull out such an amount of GAR, drama, and tragedy, with so many goddamned likeable characters that I can't help rooting for every one of them. Seriously impressive stuff.

Anyway, yeah the latest chapter drew me over here to see people's impressions. I gotta agree, I'm kinda sad that Wataru looks like he's given up on Isumi. He never took the chance to voice his feelings--Saki's important, sure, but Isumi was really the first impetus which made him decide to try hard and become a better man. He had that determination. Now, it just seems really tragic to me that it is that same goal and determination which has to force him away from her. Like on the journey, along the way, he lost grasp on what he wanted in the first place.

At the same time though, on the other hand, Wataru quitting school is just another example of the awesome capacity for drama and upping the ante that Hata-sensei's writing seems to so often demonstrate. So yeah, still damn impressed here. I've really been hooked on this manga (I like the random moe comedy too).
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 03:03   Link #8095
Mentar
Banned

Color me a bit surprised, Sol Falling. Usually you're not one to easily adopt a very positive position towards a show ^_^; ... so is this really your first time with HnG? In any case, welcome to the board!
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 05:50   Link #8096
Sol Falling

Ah, heh. I guess I do tend to be a sceptic pretty often, but effusive gushing is actually my favourite thing to do in terms of discussing manga/anime. I guess manga seems to have a better track record for me though...something about consistency of vision with a smaller team of creators, or such. The same sort of reasoning might generally hold for why Shaft tends to be the one anime studio whose works I'm consistently in love with--manga-wise, though, I'd say my praise and enthusiasm is probably not uncommon at all.

As for Hayate no Gotoku, actually, I do seem to remember reading 4-5? chapters a long time ago...idle curiousity due to Hata being a former assistant of Kumeta Koji, incidentally enough. Must've been years, really. It seems I didn't get hooked on it back then, but I came back to check it out again after being randomly linked to the recent chapter of Hayate crossdressing at the karaoke joint (+Luca and Maria)--the moe must've got to me, lol. For both time reasons and the aforementioned scepticism, I haven't checked out the anime--based on opinions in this subforum, their reception seemed fairly mixed, unfortunately.

In any case, many thanks for the welcome. I do see that my enthusiasm seems to be somewhat unique against the tone of some of the regular readers here--it wasn't quite what I'd expected, speaking honestly. Speeding through the manga, I was constantly surprised by the meaningful ways it kept developing--from the way Ayumu caught me off guard with her genuine charm, to the stunning conclusion of Hina's birthday, the touching bond Nagi and Hayate formed over Yukariko's anniversary, and how End of the World built up to Golden Week which offered amazing development for nearly everybody. Nagi moving out of her mansion next was a genuinely exciting development and I find the question of how her manga initiative will uncover the path to her future (especially from a financial perspective, given their current income) fascinating. Having experienced the story in this manner, it has been fully ingrained in me that I can expect this manga to keep moving forward with both heart and hilarity towards conclusions which will definitely be worthwhile. So, as I've come to join you guys in the weekly wait for every chapter, I'm carrying a strong feeling that the hasty anticipation we bring to each short new chapter will turn into patience rewarded over the long haul. Seeing how things are around here, I felt somewhat compelled to express my enthusiasm. As the story keeps moving forward, I want to share that sense of enjoyment as each new exciting development arrives.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2011-05-10 at 06:02.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 06:32   Link #8097
madmac

Quote:
In any case, many thanks for the welcome. I do see that my enthusiasm seems to be somewhat unique against the tone of some of the regular readers here--it wasn't quite what I'd expected, speaking honestly. Speeding through the manga, I was constantly surprised by the meaningful ways it kept developing--from the way Ayumu caught me off guard with her genuine charm, to the stunning conclusion of Hina's birthday, the touching bond Nagi and Hayate formed over Yukariko's anniversary, and how End of the World built up to Golden Week which offered amazing development for nearly everybody. Nagi moving out of her mansion next was a genuinely exciting development and I find the question of how her manga initiative will uncover the path to her future (especially from a financial perspective, given their current income) fascinating. Having experienced the story in this manner, it has been fully ingrained in me that I can expect this manga to keep moving forward with both heart and hilarity towards conclusions which will definitely be worthwhile. So, as I've come to join you guys in the weekly wait for every chapter, I'm carrying a strong feeling that the hasty anticipation we bring to each short new chapter will turn into patience rewarded over the long haul. Seeing how things are around here, I felt somewhat compelled to express my enthusiasm. As the story keeps moving forward, I want to share that sense of enjoyment as each new exciting development arrives.
Thanks for posting that.

I think you'll find that while the regulars grumble sometimes, it's mostly just impatience. This manga reads very well over long stretches because of how interconnected everything is, (among other things) but the pacing can seem glacial week to week.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 07:18   Link #8098
Mentar
Banned

The main gripe I have with the show at the moment is that it has too many characters. It went on for too long, and instead of retiring "spent" secondary characters, Hata insists on keeping everyone "alive". And in result, whenever he feels like adding another "okay, we need to revisit everyone" round, it means that for 2-3 months there is no significant progress. Like there is now (though I hope that we'll finally enter another "real" arc).

Example: I think that everyone will agree that the Greek arc was the highlight of the show so far. It was awesome in every way, exciting, touching, tragic... you name it. But it was that way because it concentrated on the main characters and had only touches of the most important secondaries. Nagi, Hina, Athena, Ayumu and Isumi, with some traces of Maria (was a bit neglected), Sakuya, the terrible trio... and that was pretty much it. The focus was on the _storytelling_, not "time to unearth another character".

Which is why I want Hata to end the story, and to start a new storyline from scratch. He's good enough to do that, but at the moment, I worry about the lack of direction with the myriad of characters. And YES, they ARE likable. That's exactly the problem, actually. He doesn't feel like culling some of them, but he HAS to...
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 12:05   Link #8099
Shadow5YA

I agree that the Greece/Athena arc was the highlight of the series, but I think everyone has also been spoiled by it. Before it, Hayate never really had an overarching plot to it. It was always about the over-the-top, 4th wall breaking slice of life comedy. Now that there is a direction and a destination, people can't go back.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 12:43   Link #8100
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
The main gripe I have with the show at the moment is that it has too many characters. It went on for too long, and instead of retiring "spent" secondary characters, Hata insists on keeping everyone "alive". And in result, whenever he feels like adding another "okay, we need to revisit everyone" round, it means that for 2-3 months there is no significant progress. Like there is now (though I hope that we'll finally enter another "real" arc).
Agreed. If we must get secondary/tertiary character files, at least give us characters that are popular despite their lack of general appearance. Izumi (#6), Ayumu (#7), Saki (#9) and Isumi (#10), and I'm even going to include Maria (#5) here. She's a main character, but has almost no development. Not putting Chiharu (#8) in there, since she's been getting a good amount lately.

Also, for chapter 319:
Spoiler for Ch 319:
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen