AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-03-26, 20:07   Link #1
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Anime Hair Colour/Length/Personality Theory (tm)

I turned this bizarre thought over in my head one day about whether a characters hair colour can be used to determine there personality prior to viewing a show and knowing nothing about it. I came up with a sort of matrix for applying this theory to anime:

Short Brown Female:

Often self confident, can be violent sometimes, and tends to be somewhat athletic.

examples: Sakura Kinomoto, Suzumiya Haruhi, Kirie Kojima

Short Brown Male:

Often the opposite of the female counterpart, practical to a fault and usually is very awkard initially social situations with other characters. Tends to be the template for main harem characters.

examples: Kyon, Amuro Ray, Many Harem Leads

Short Blue Female:

Extremely quite, withdrawn and shy. Often booksmart and compassionate, willing to lend a helping hand to those in need, but often dains to speak.

examples: Ami Mizuno, Yuki Nagato, Tabitha, Rei Ayanami

Short Blue Male:

This one is actually all over the place, usually the character is a bit unstable and indecisive, flip-flopping through a number of personalities.

examples: Kamille Bidan, Athrun Zala, K9999

Long Blue Hair Female:

Often has a secret hidden power of some kind that they wish they didn't have or don't know about.

examples: Kaname Chidori, Dizzy, Rika Furude

Long Blond Hair Period:

Narcisstic and Self-absorbed, or just a general bishounen/bishoujo for the most part. The typical bishounen or school idol, also used to show a character is foreign in a lot of shows, if that rule fails they often fill the role of the ditzy character.

examples: Usagi Tsukino (Rule 2), Guiche, Lisa Fukuyama, Zechs Merquise, Erika Kiriya

Long Pink Hair Female Only (I hope):

Your pink princess who usually gets everybody to follow along with her wishes either by charm or force.

examples: Chibi-Usa (When hair is let down), Lacus Clyne, Euphemia La Britannia, Louise Françoise le Blanc de la Vallière

Long Red Hair Female:

The firey my way or the highway hot-blooded girl with an often outrageously explosive temper, always seems to be fighting someone or something.

examples: Shana, Aoi (Dancouga Nova), Asuna Kagurazuka, Asuka Soryu Langely, Etna

Long Green Female:

Often hyperactive character who seems to never ever shut-up when the time is necessary and is usually fairly good at sports and good friends with one of the main characters.

examples: Asa Shigure, Tsuruya, Mion Sonozaki, C.C (Counter-example although she never does shut up she isn't very hyperactive)

Short Purple Female:

The Ruri, no examples are really necessary

Long Silver Male:

Evil Bishounen Villain and a favourite of Tetsuya Nomura

examples: Sephiroth, Ansem, Xemnas, Weiss, Ilparazzo

and that's all I can think of right now. The other variations aren't really pinned down to any type of character. I tried to draw a correlation between orange and maybe a few more between males, but they are just random and unassigned. This isn't meant to be a general list, but my observation of patterns I have found in anime. Feel free to comment, deny it, support it, add to it, or whatever.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 23:16   Link #2
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Humm... interesting but that isn't always so. You are using typical examples for your hair color analysis. While due to popular belief that the hair color shows or represent the person personality it's not always so (and i really doubt peoples [meaning the majority] know what each color means). It makes good sense to use it when you're writing a story or some epic poems or even anime storyline. People use it all the time in real life for simplistic things like correct paint or their interior designs, their cars, their shoes. From what i've read and seen, it's to personalize personal items of yours to distinguish yourself from a colorful world. But that doesn't mean wearing red will automatically mean people around you will say that your a hot-tempered person walking down the street.

Colors
and their description. (it's a lot of work to color code 5 already ^_^)

Spoiler:

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 00:16   Link #3
wontaek

For some reason, I am attracted to long black hair.

She Walks in Beauty

She walks in beauty like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies,
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes;
Thus mellowed to the tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One ray the more, one shade the less
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress
Or softly lightens o'er her face,
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling place.

And on that cheek and o'er that brow
So soft, so calm yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow
But tell of days in goodness spent
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent.

-- Lord Byron, (George Gordon)

Last edited by wontaek; 2007-03-28 at 13:18.
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 18:23   Link #4
The Lord of Dark
feel of .. nothing ..

Cool

hi ..
why not , it's usualy right , and maybe the color of cuticle has a big effect + eye's color + the type of eye (broad , or drawn)

for me, I favor the brown hair (like my hair color )

thanks ..

your faithful 4 ever
The Lord of Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 21:12   Link #5
AnbuItachi

meyrin is long red hair and shes not violent or hot blooded
AnbuItachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 01:17   Link #6
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Aye, the Long, red haired girl has examples of the opposite personality - Meyrin, Sia, Kotori
Old 2007-03-30, 03:41   Link #7
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Soooo... if I had a girl with long red hair that is usually quiet/shy/lonely ^_^, then that means she's really quite rambunctious, friendly, and talkative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
For some reason, I am attracted to long black hair.

She Walks in Beauty

She walks in beauty like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies,
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes;
Thus mellowed to the tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One ray the more, one shade the less
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress
Or softly lightens o'er her face,
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling place.

And on that cheek and o'er that brow
So soft, so calm yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow
But tell of days in goodness spent
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent.

-- Lord Byron, (George Gordon)
I've never really gotten poems. I mean this by, I can't really decipher what it's suppose to mean. It's just like Literature class. I've never gotten or understood why this is so. She gives me a poem and expect me to extrapolate some kind of info from it. If I read correctly, poems of meant to be understood in many different ways. But I suppose that even though they can be read and understood in different ways, from reading you should be able to find these facts and points from that poem.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2007-03-30, 04:07   Link #8
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

How did we get to Lord Byron and Haiku. Ah well.
Old 2007-03-30, 05:13   Link #9
shinn_asagiri
HEY MAN!!!

shiori misaka of kanon is short brown haired and she's not violent...

er...mind explaining
shinn_asagiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 12:29   Link #10
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinn_asagiri View Post
shiori misaka of kanon is short brown haired and she's not violent...

er...mind explaining
Cause its more of a greyish-brown, and even still among generalizations I stated that they [i]might[/b] be prone to violence. Also this is the first topic I think I've ever created that has laster more than 3 posts.
Old 2007-04-01, 18:05   Link #11
KaWaitress
Waitress Fetish ♥

Send a message via AIM to KaWaitress
Quote:
Long Blond Hair Period:

Narcisstic and Self-absorbed, or just a general bishounen/bishoujo for the most part. The typical bishounen or school idol, also used to show a character is foreign in a lot of shows, if that rule fails they often fill the role of the ditzy character.
Saber anyone, Saber? She's got long hair rolled up there, but she ain't narcisistic
T.T

Other than that, its nice to see how you put so much thought into this. Interesting read all in all.
KaWaitress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 19:00   Link #12
darkjester
Desu Desu Desu!!!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to darkjester Send a message via MSN to darkjester Send a message via Yahoo to darkjester
interesting, to say the least...

reading a lot of the descriptions, some seem to be right on the money when i picture a few characters...

course obviously its not gonna be accurate for all characters, but a nice thought indeed... and with examples to back it up...

good show....
darkjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 06:20   Link #13
Black_Rose
Black_Rose

Id be a prety ishbalin gal off of FMA because im that color and i like there red eyes with long brown haif but i would actually have prety glosy pink lips to go with my tan face.And, i would look around fifteen or sixteen.
Black_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 09:56   Link #14
Echoes

An interesting read, there are certainly some stereotypical features associated with certain hair colors and lengths. The long blue-haired female traits seem to be pretty accurate. You might add Asakura Ryōko to your list. She has a secret power, though it's not really that she doesn't want it (more like she wants more of it), but heck, it's pretty close. Glad to see you included Dizzy.

On a totally, not completely, but really kind of off-topic note, I really have a thing for long green hair. Except for Tsuruya (I still like her, mind you) those characters you used as examples are basically my favorite character from their respective shows. Maybe I'd swap Mion for Shion, but still.

Last edited by Echoes; 2007-08-25 at 10:11.
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 10:10   Link #15
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

What about characters that no hair? I think they are like underling like Nappa and Ikkaku
Old 2007-08-25, 10:32   Link #16
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HairColors

Quote:
A quick Google search will turn up at least several dozen pages discussing the topic, with most of them disagreeing in varying degrees with each other. Basically, anything found on this topic -- especially the notes below -- is nothing more than a broad generalization that can be contradicted freely by any given show.

In general, though, brown, black or (rarely) naturalistic auburn hair tends to indicate The Ordinary High School Student or some other "grounded", "normal" (Japanese) person. In some anime, green hair can serve as an additional "standard" hair color (for instance, Midori in Midori No Hibi).

Blondes are often either The Ditz or a callous, selfish manipulator. (Female blonde Japanese characters, particularly very tan ones, also evoke the "kogal" and "yamamba" youth subcultures, which while more or less harmless are considered extreme almost to the point of delinquency.) There are frequent exceptions, though, such as Kaolla Suu from Love Hina. Often, blondes also have some kind of foreign ancestry, typically American or European. (For instance, Rebecca Miyamoto from Pani Poni Dash, and Kaolla Suu, who is herself from a fictional island nation.)

Blonde hair on a male character may imply that he is a trickster. Alternately, it may symbolize that this character is a focus of chaos, and trouble follows him wherever he goes, such as Vash the Stampede from Trigun. It is also not uncommon for anime males with long blonde hair to be portrayed as Casanova-types. (Examples: Kurz from Full Metal Panic, Allen Schezar from Vision Of Escaflowne, Kyle from Suikoden V among others...)

Red hair often corresponds either to spirit possession and/or enchantment (as in Ranma's red-headed "curse form"), or to the more Western "hot head" stereotype (such as Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion, or Lina Inverse from The Slayers).

Old 2007-09-01, 02:36   Link #17
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlion View Post
What about characters that no hair? I think they are like underling like Nappa and Ikkaku
Generally powerful warriors or monks. Tenshinhan, Kuririn and Sagat come to mind.
Old 2007-09-01, 03:31   Link #18
Drakarst
Dark Star Rising

Girls with twin ponytails are often tsundere. For example: Sohryu Asuka Langley (NGE), Rin Tohsaka (Fate//stay night), Sawachika Eri (School Rumble), Sanzenin Nagi (Hayate no Gotoku), and Kagami (Lucky Star).
Drakarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 13:50   Link #19
innominate
hiatus almost permanent

Ohohoh I was really thinking of this topic sometime ago, about whether the hair colour of an anime character actually matters.

Personally I only see this applied to female characters, though: bizarre hair colours and characteristic traits that follow. As I see it, male characters tend to have more subtle shades, with more 'real' colours like brown, blond, black, etc. White is an exception though.

Anyway, I believe the following generalisations apply to both genders:

Generally the less saturated, and the darker the hair colour, the more mature the character is. Perhaps light and bright colours indicate a level of excitement while darker colours wrap the character with a more sinister demeanor.

Also, I feel that black/brown haired characters tend to be more conservative as compared to blond/red hair characters. Perhaps this is quite stereotypical of me, but I would draw that connection with the fact that black and brown hair are typical asian features, while blond hair is generally a western trait.

But with regards to others hues... I will think about them later. But I do seem to prefer female characters with blue hair, and male characters with brown hair, in general.

Hmm...
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 21:09   Link #20
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

And so this thread comes back . Personally, I think color is of a great importance, appearance and what not too.