AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-02-28, 03:39   Link #101
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
I'm glad someone else pointed this out. I've been watching Kyoto Animation works for years, and while, initially, the first thing that attracted me to their work is the high-quality animation (as drew me in with certain episodes of Tenshi ni Narumon and the Munto OAV), I realized pretty soon, especially after Fumoffu, that, in my opinion, the primary strength of this company is in excellent storyboarding throughout all stages of the animation process. You won't find many shows that "flow" better from scene to scene with planned out transitions and the like than you will with a Kyoto production, which I think bodes well for something like Lucky Star which will rely on good storyboarding much more than something taken from a manga or novel. Attention to detail on the storyboarding reflects in the comic timing that you mentioned earlier.

Reading this thread is reminiscent of the discussions that took place just before KareKano was released, with many unwilling (or unable) to view the series on its own merits without looking at it through the lens of the production studio or aforesaid production studio's previous big hit. Personally, I'm very much looking forward to it.
That's exactly my problem, now that Kyoto Animation has made Haruhi, people can't judge their individual series by their own merits anymore, it always has to be auto-awesome since Haruhi was popular.

That kind of mentality among viewers never leads to anything good, believe me. As an example, if you want to know why the Playstation brand has dropped in quality, its that Sony realized they could get away with anything because of their bases unconditional support. Kaz Hirai's "The consumer's are ready speech", the idea that they have the right to dictact what the consumer's are willing to accept and the arrogance and contempt for the consumers desires they show now wouldn't exist now, as they'd still be trying to win over support if people hadn't given them carte blanche to do and say, whatever the hell they want.

At this point in time the studio could easily do a lackluster job, slap its name on it and it would be phenomenally successful. Thankfully they haven't done it which shows that Kyoto Animation has some integrity at least, but they very very easily could if they wanted too and thats what worries me.

It's exactly as you said, people must be able to view the series on their own merit rather than by what the studio may have done right in the past and no matter how much they may support them. Otherwise it won't be the viewers that hold influence and weight in the anime industry with their dollars to be won over by competing anime productions, but the companies who can essentially take the dollars and simply use their brand sticker as a reason for why they are taking the dollars. That's not the anime market any of us would want to see I'm sure.

I am looking forward to Lucky Star because its a funny 4Koma, but let's be honest, how many people think the ratio of viewers watching for the company that did Haruhi's next project versus the viewers watching for zany antics isn't lopsided toward the former. Now how many people think the ratio of people watching to see Aya Hirano play a character versus the people watching to see the Lucky Star cast animated is also lopsided towards the former. If I am wrong and I hope to god I am wrong because that means I'll never have to worry again, I will be happier than if I'm right believe me.

I'm just a small fish in the sea so I don't have much influence on the market, but the large bloc of fans out their who would be willing to give carte blanche to a company for creating one particularly successful franchise scares the hell out of me, because they have the power to ruin the market for an entire generation of viewers with that mentality.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-02-28 at 04:32.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 17:44   Link #102
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I sometimes wonder if we talk about a studio when we should be talking about specific staff. Air, Suzumiya Haruhi, and Kanon were directed by Ishihara Tatsuya. The FMP shows were directed by Takemoto Yasuhiro. And the lead writers differ between the two sets of shows, too -- although you can see some of the same names involved here and there in writing, storyboarding, or directing specific episodes of the two sets of shows. In fact, the two directors did those jobs on episodes of the other series. So I guess (to partially contradict myself) it is reasonable to think that there will be something of a KyoAni style and quality that is common to all their shows -- while at the same time realizing that actual individuals are involved, not just some amorphous "studio."

Lucky Star is directed by Yamamoto Hiroshi, who is assuming full responsibility for the first time, although he was credited as "series director" (シリーズ演出) of SHnY, while Ishihara was the "director" (監督). Yamamoto also shows up as scriptwriter, storyboarder, or episode director for episodes of all the shows I've mentioned. So I think it's reasonable to have high hopes. The lead writer, Machida Douko, was the lead writer on Muteki Kanban Musume, and wrote Boku wa Imouto wo Koi Suru. I'm not sure what that tells us. She was also involved in writing Saiyuki Gunlock and Wolf's Rain (though just one of several writers on those two).

I agree with Kaioshin to the extent that I think nothing is "key" and nothing can be taken for granted. And yet I think that we have to grasp at whatever info we have, and we are justified in giving shows a chance when they have the same staff or cast as other shows we have enjoyed. And I'm one who thought SHnY was an actual masterpiece. But the proof of the pudding, as always, is in the eating, so we shall see.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 19:16   Link #103
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
It's exactly as you said, people must be able to view the series on their own merit rather than by what the studio may have done right in the past and no matter how much they may support them. Otherwise it won't be the viewers that hold influence and weight in the anime industry with their dollars to be won over by competing anime productions, but the companies who can essentially take the dollars and simply use their brand sticker as a reason for why they are taking the dollars. That's not the anime market any of us would want to see I'm sure.

I am looking forward to Lucky Star because its a funny 4Koma, but let's be honest, how many people think the ratio of viewers watching for the company that did Haruhi's next project versus the viewers watching for zany antics isn't lopsided toward the former. Now how many people think the ratio of people watching to see Aya Hirano play a character versus the people watching to see the Lucky Star cast animated is also lopsided towards the former. If I am wrong and I hope to god I am wrong because that means I'll never have to worry again, I will be happier than if I'm right believe me.
You make a very valid point here - people certainly do need to judge a production on its own merit. The fact that KyoAni has so far - in my opinion - consistantly turned out a superior quality product means that I am at least going to take a look at whatever series they put out next. And I will probably give them a bit more leeway than I might otherwise if my initial impression is not entirely favorable, because their past performance has earned them that much. But if that unfavorable impression does not improve after a few episodes then all the past kudos in the world are not going to make me keep watching, and I will be much less likely to cut them any slack the next time around. And I need to clarify that when I say "unfavorable impression" I mean "poorly done/presented", not "simply does not appeal to me".

As far as the seiyuu are concerned having someone like Hirano Ayu in the cast is a plus for me, but it won't make the difference between watching and not watching because I can listen to Hirano-san voice characers in several other series if I don't care for this one. Same goes for most of the other popular and well-known seiyuu. I'm actually more interested in hearing the rookies, because you never know when lightning might strike. After all, Sasaki Nozomi (who will also be in Lucky Star) was absolutely stellar in her debut as Takahashi Nanami in Bokura ga Ita. (Nana-chan, banzai!)
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 23:53   Link #104
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I don't think that Kyo-Ani will slack off. They have to keep up the good work because they are also a brand name, just like Madhouse, Gonzo and Studio Ghibli. Any blemishes potentially decreases the selling ability of their name.

Putting some seiyuus that they work well with and are popular on the cast isn't a problem to me either as long as they can do the job properly. They have to maximally sell this show. Same thing happens in R1. It's a business too after all.
Old 2007-03-01, 11:31   Link #105
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Gonzo
That's the worst example for "keeping up the good work".

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-01, 15:06   Link #106
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Frankly, BONES is the only other studio I can think of that always puts out series that look high-quality & are generally very solid productions, even if they don't appeal to everyone (KyoAni is on the whole more superlative in the visual department, but they've also produced fewer works total).

Madhouse, GONZO etc. may be well-known, but they make as much crap (visually speaking, although of course you could argue that at least some of such shows are crap in general) as they do gold. They've spread themselves really thin, whereas KyoAni hasn't shown any indication of moving toward making more than one show per season. Neither way is necessarily better than the other--even GONZO puts out absolutely stunning work from time to time, and if bottom-barrel material is what it takes to fund stuff like Gankutsuou, I can't say I mind. Meanwhile, fans of KyoAni's Full Metal Panic, Haruhi and KEY productions will have to wait ages for new series/seasons, since they're all coming one at a time. I do think that BONES does the best job of striking a balance between good animation & putting out a good number of shows.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 10:07   Link #107
herbert

After knowing it is next project Kyo-Ani will work on, I find a way to read the manga, and I think it is a adorable manga having some interesting characters. Although I still have some doubt how can it put into anime, I look forward to see Kagami and Konata on TV screen (or laptop screen for me).

BTW I coloured a couple pics from manga vol 2, here they are.

Spoiler for original B&W pics:
Old 2007-03-02, 10:18   Link #108
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

Kaioshin: Hm... I think you're missing the point here. By no means does Kyoani doing the series make it a one-hit wonder; however, given that their past works have been very successful, it is NOT indecent to assume that this one will be a similar case.

There's a large difference between watching a series and liking a series based solely on the company behind it. It's like genre - say you're a fan of mecha, and a decent-looking series comes about. Because it's mecha, you'd at least give it a try.

The same case applies here: because Kyoani's known for producing great series with a bit of something for everybody, it's at least worth giving a try. Don't you think?
Sai the Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 10:32   Link #109
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Although I still have some doubt how can it put into anime,
Two words: Azumanga Daioh.

I have no doubt that Lucky Star will probably turn out to be very similiar to Azumanga Daioh in terms of execution - an episode containing several short skits.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 11:16   Link #110
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
OT: @Sai the Dreamer: Isn't your avatar a bit too fast? You should try lowering its speed and cutting a bit of the blank part.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 11:33   Link #111
herbert

@ houkoholic
Thank for your opinion. Having this doubt is probably my own problem since I am among the very few ppl who werent satisfied with the way Azumanga anime telling stories. To me, the eps were felt inconsistent if they are sum up of handful not-close-connected small stories. I like much better the way Paniponi does - each ep focus on an individual story filled with some laughable randomness. This made me feel the wholeness that Azumanga anime somehow lacks. But as much as I want to see sth similiar to Paniponi, I am not sure if Lucky Star can be done that way.

Whatever, I watched Azumanga quite long ago, perhaps my taste has changed and I might like Lucky Star even if it pulls out as Azumanga did
Old 2007-03-02, 15:18   Link #112
FireChick

Maybe my feeling of Lucky Star being licensed by ADV might be true. If it is, then I kinda want Cynthia Martinez (haven't heard voice yet) to do Konata, Jessica Boone to do Tsukasa or Kira Vincent-Davis to do Kagami. It's just a feeling but I hope it'll be true. I definitely think Jessica Boone is good for Tsukasa. Hmmm...maybe Hilary Haag should do Miyuki. Nyah?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 11:14   Link #113
Rion
Ramune~

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
BTW I coloured a couple pics from manga vol 2, here they are.
Oh, your colorations are great! It makes me want to color some manga pictures too... (I never did it before though).
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 11:46   Link #114
NeoSam

Lucky☆Star official anime site has opened:

http://www.lucky-ch.com/

Broadcast: April 9, 2007
Old 2007-03-05, 11:52   Link #115
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07

They're playing with the Wii-mote.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 13:44   Link #116
Skane
Anime Snark

I am really curious to find out what sort of animation style they will be using for this series.

Hmm...
Old 2007-03-05, 15:12   Link #117
FireChick

Wheeee! April 9 is three days after Kamichama Karin! Cool! I better see this! Oh and Kagami and Konata look cute playing with those Wii remotes on the website! Heh heh.
Old 2007-03-05, 15:25   Link #118
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

W00t for Wii-use. Just as a completely irrelevant note... I may find I'm liking this show because it provides examples of girls to girls that gameplay, anime, and manga are all right ((starts thinking of targets to transmit this viral meme to....)).
Old 2007-03-05, 15:34   Link #119
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
W00t for Wii-use. Just as a completely irrelevant note... I may find I'm liking this show because it provides examples of girls to girls that gameplay, anime, and manga are all right ((starts thinking of targets to transmit this viral meme to....)).
Suggest it to 4-Chan if you want it to spread like wildfire.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 16:03   Link #120
FireChick

I'm a girl and I read manga and watch anime.

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen