Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2016-08-02, 14:11   Link #1
bakato

Sword Art Online Live-Action American TV Series

Sword Art Online Gets Live-Action American TV Series

Quote:
American independent production company Skydance Television announced on Tuesday that it has acquired the global live-action television rights for the Sword Art Online (SAO) franchise from Kadokawa.

The company plans to fast-track the launch of a live-action television series. Laeta Kalogridis (Avatar, Terminator Genisys) is writing the script and executive producing along with David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross of Skydance. Kalogridis, who also penned drafts for the live-action Alita: Battle Angel and Ghost in the Shell films, mentioned that she has "for years... been inspired by the inventive and masterful storytelling of the SAO franchise."

Skydance Interactive is also planning a Sword Art Online virtual reality experience after the television series. Skydance Media CEO Ellison said the company is planning "a full-scale and wide-ranging set of live action franchise extensions across our business verticals."
God is dead.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2016-08-02 at 16:33.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-02, 18:07   Link #2
Kazu-kun

Quote:
"for years... been inspired by the inventive and masterful storytelling of the SAO franchise."
Now that's what I call a real load of bullshit.
Old 2016-08-02, 18:09   Link #3
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Now that's what I call a real load of bullshit.
I know right? I did a spitake on that one. I could get "inventive," but "masterful"? If it was just a live action I wouldn't have bothered, but an American? I can't even imagine the horror.
Old 2016-08-02, 18:23   Link #4
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

I was hoping the live action fad was dead after the Last Airbender movie and Dragon Ball Evolution but unfortunately I was wrong.
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-02, 18:37   Link #5
Kazu-kun

To be honest, if the budget is good, I think it could work. As an American live-action tv show, they might have to remove the worst parts of SAO, like the harem bullcrap, the incest, the whole of Fairy Dance, and so on. And then they could expand on the rest. For example, they could give more attention to the non-Kirito male characters for a more balanced cast (and add more male characters if necessary), develop the world building further (they could take some material from Progressive). If you remove the harem shit, you can also develop more relationships among the cast not involving Kirito, which would be pretty cool.

I don't know. For me SAO is a very popular but very mediocre product, so it could be improved a lot if they know what they doing.
Old 2016-08-02, 19:26   Link #6
IceHism

Take out gun gale and caliber.

Then just have the live action do aincrad, mother's rosario, and alicization.
I'd be down with that.

Or they could just extend aincrad and do their own original stuff. I'd be fine with that as well.

also

Quote:
Kalogridis, who also penned drafts for the live-action Alita: Battle Angel and Ghost in the Shell films, mentioned that she has "for years... been inspired by the inventive and masterful storytelling of the SAO franchise."
awesome. It would be so great if she is actually being serious so i hope she is.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-02, 19:29   Link #7
bakato

If they can take the potential of SAO and make it their own, then this might actually be worth looking forward to.
Old 2016-08-02, 20:00   Link #8
MCAL

Yes, but will they keep in the truly masterful sex scene?!
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-02, 20:11   Link #9
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
This is America.
Old 2016-08-02, 20:45   Link #10
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post

If anything, they will add more

Im only concerned about how white washed this will be. It would be nice if they let Asians at least play the main role.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-02, 23:22   Link #11
Frontier

Y'know, with SAO's popularity, I was wondering if they would ever adapt it into live-action, but this...is still pretty shocking and unexpected .

I mean, even as someone who's actually a fan of the franchise, I can see many ways for this to go off the rails .

Are they going to actually adapt the Light Novel or are they just going to take the basic concept of people stuck in a VR game and completely reinvent it? Is it even going to look and feel like SAO? I guess so long as you have the elements of people being trapped in a game with permanent death, explore the effects that has on the populace, the blending of virtual reality with true reality, and the central romance between Kirito and Asuna, it'll basically be SAO .

Will they even use the actual SAO cast, and if so, how many will be race-changed or whitewashed? Will they change races while still using the same avatar names? Are we going to get something like the Death Note adaption Netflix is doing with "Light Turner" and such? Are Bryce Papenbrook and Cherami Leigh going to be allowed cameos ?

At least Progressive gives them material to help expand on the story of Aincraid instead of just adapting the first novel and side-stories (if they plan on doing that all) like the anime did. I'm also curious if Kawahara is involved with this at all .

Accel World would also be a fun TV show. Just saying .
Old 2016-08-02, 23:49   Link #12
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Ok first, WHY!?
SAO works as a manga, anime and video game not a Live action show/film.
Old 2016-08-02, 23:57   Link #13
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Guy look the positive side this is Murrica
The biggest issue in SAO was it adopted every generic troupes you could found at every anime/manga industry now with western will adapt the series they certainly will convert SAO into their own show like they did to DB. We will say Bon Voyage to Generic SAO at last!
I am not saying i am fond with Dragon Ball Evolution ( i hate western for what they did to DB) But SAO is different case, SAO problem is very heavy with japan cliches now what will happen if we get a Western Sao?
Kirito will not be your handsome bishie boy, we going to have a typical average western highschool boy who either being buliied or bullying
and Asuna is going to be total hotter than her anime version. Their online marriage going to be absolute blissful sexlife
also we not going have annoying harem instead some tough-ass jock, instead having a passive big bro Klein we will have a black klein with hipersex humor (no-offense) also Western Sugaha certainly not another brocon Sugaha

I think SAO become murrica live action maybe the awesome things to anime industry ever.
But let's admit if western adapt the harem part it's not like going to be worse than japan version, it will be a fapp i mean hot things to see in the screen.

EDIT: BTW wasn't The Last Airbender is Nickelodeon property? TLA not even anime or manga,why people complains for TLA bad adaptation?

Last edited by Diluc; 2016-08-03 at 00:14.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-03, 00:26   Link #14
judasmartel
*Author

I am about 90% sure they will whitewash this one, unless of course they cast an Asian as any of Kirito, Suguha, Kayaba, Sugou, Silica, Lisbeth, or Sinon.

Just in case, I'll leave my own version of Americanized names here:

Spoiler for americanized names:

Enjoy!~

Last edited by judasmartel; 2016-08-03 at 04:55.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-03, 05:05   Link #15
judasmartel
*Author

Crazy cast predictions here:

Spoiler for oh you, murrica:
Old 2016-08-03, 10:31   Link #16
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

As someone who LOVES the Kirigaya Family and their Friends (ESPECIALLY Yuuki the Absolute Sword) as Strong Positive Asian Characters who act as wonderful anti-venom to fans of "joe-pee-pee-maltin's play-of-chairs" screaming vile-crap about how "Asians have no place in Heroic Fantasy", ALL I can say to this evil white-washing disaster is:

Old 2016-08-03, 10:53   Link #17
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
-snip-
Caucasian barbarians. Insecure bigoted bastards since time immemorial. They now rule over the world by iron, fire, and blood.
Old 2016-08-03, 16:48   Link #18
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

people are so goddamn mad.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-03, 23:07   Link #19
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

The idea of a Westernized live-action adaptation is a load of shite as far as I'm concerned. Why don't you go look somewhere else for adapting anime-based stuff?
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-03, 23:12   Link #20
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
I am actually want to see if this does work out or not. Sure the West has a very bad record when it comes down to Anime adaptions but it takes time and patience to find one that is going to hit it off.

Besides, they are going have a SAO type of movie coming out in a few year in Ready: Player One (my personal recommendation is read this book because it is very enjoyable read)