AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-20, 23:54   Link #1
box-chan

Get Ride! AMDriver

Couldn't find a thread on this so...

Just saw "enough" of the first episode to make it painfully obvious that I'm too old for this show; that is also taking into account that I'm currently following Aishiteruze Baby.

Dunno why, but this one started to really grind on me. The characters seemed recycled, the OP was screechy and I kept trying to decipher wether two of the characters were actually male or female. Now don't get me wrong, I like a little bit of androgynous shenanigans now and again but this was way too much.

I could envision maybe an eight-year old really taking the plunge on this one, but at this rate I'm getting pretty jaded when it comes to story/ characters and art and for some reason it didn't cut it compared to say, monster. Hell, Panda Z was volumes superior if the first episode of AM driver is any indication. The quality of the sub itself seemed quite nice, but I just can't understand why someone picked this up (no offense, just not my bag baby.)

I guess it looked like transformers/ voltron/ and who knows what else all rolled into a typical "save earth from robot/ alien/ alien robot" story.

Is there something I'm missing here? Does it get real deep later or have I pegged it? this show just hurts my head.
Old 2004-04-21, 00:12   Link #2
Tima
Konichiwa

Not being able to decifer whether a character is a boy or a girl is my third pet peev next to mocho acting male characters that look and dress feminine. From the way you describe it i prollly won't like it either, but i'll still get it anyway just to see for myself.
Old 2004-04-21, 00:15   Link #3
box-chan

Yeah, grab it and be the judge. I usually try to find one nice thing to say if something stinks but I just came up short this time. Its worth a laugh at least (until the grinding starts!)
Old 2004-04-21, 00:53   Link #4
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

it got better near the end of the episode, but its nothing new and does, indeed, seem to be something that kids could go far. I'll watch an ep or 2 more to see if it does anything interesting.
Old 2004-04-21, 02:22   Link #5
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Well I haven't watched it yet but I did translate the synopsis of the series off its tv-tokyo website. I put it up here at http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/m...content&id=841.

Maybe you can comment if I got it right (or perhaps it will give you a better insight on whether to continue on with the show, pop a review once you decided)...

From what I saw on the tv-tokyo official site and the synopsis I did, I had come off thinking this was a sentai show (you know those costumed super heroes Power Rangers, Kamen Rider, etc) done in anime.
Old 2004-04-21, 02:38   Link #6
foxdie

Only with surfboards. I just watched it. It doesn't live up to the high standards of most shows I'm watching right now, but it has that saturdaymorning feel I used to love. So here's a tip, I watched it during breakfast. This isn't an evening anime. I enjoyed it like this. Made me feel like I was 8 years old again.
Old 2004-04-21, 02:58   Link #7
box-chan

I'll try that tomorrow and see if it makes a difference, but it most definitely shares similarities with other "costume fighter" shows. Yebyosh, that synopsis seems pretty spot on based on what I've seen in ep 1. I'll watch this thing again tomorrow AM with some cinnamon toast crunch and see if its any better.

Last edited by box-chan; 2004-04-21 at 03:32.
Old 2004-04-21, 03:20   Link #8
marin

Isn't this a Korean show like Bastoff Lemon?
Old 2004-04-21, 03:41   Link #9
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Just saw first episode, it's a light show, no deep plot or emotional stuffs, great to watch in the morning just woke up and eating breakfast. ^^

I like the ending song. ^^
Old 2004-04-21, 03:43   Link #10
Sledeau

Three strikes...

1) The girly boys in the op.
2) The heroes kicking everyone's ass in the beginning of the episode.
3) The ceremony announcing that the fate of the world was in the hands of a bunch of 14 year olds.

I stopped watching after strike 3. Maybe I'll give it another chance tommorrow. :P
Old 2004-04-21, 07:32   Link #11
Tima
Konichiwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledeau
Three strikes...

3) The ceremony announcing that the fate of the world was in the hands of a bunch of 14 year olds.

I stopped watching after strike 3. Maybe I'll give it another chance tommorrow. :P
LOL! I do the three strikes thing to.
Old 2004-04-21, 08:48   Link #12
Suikun

*shrugs*
I'm sorry, but... I really enjoyed it.

Yes, it's clearly a children's TV series, but it's also just the type of anime I like; No, it's not very deep or complex or dark or mature, but I thought it was just plain fun to watch. Mindless action shows that aim at nothing more than providing the viewer some fun are great things to watch every once in a while - I'm definitely going to follow this one.
Old 2004-04-21, 10:55   Link #13
frowndog
Poof... time warp

I saw on the animenfo review section that myco would be doing one of the voices here... Not that it means much but, is this true?

myco is btw, the singer of Changin' My Life and she was also the seiyuu of Mitsuki in Full Moon wo Sagashite
Old 2004-04-21, 11:49   Link #14
scingram

Downloaded it last night. Watched the intro before work, none too impressed.
I have so many other good series to watch that this will be removed from the HD.
Old 2004-04-21, 12:54   Link #15
Tima
Konichiwa

It's not to bad. It's a little saturday morning cartoonish, but i'll keep up with it. It seems like it might have some potential in further episodes.
Old 2004-04-21, 16:34   Link #16
box-chan

this is indeed breakfast fodder, more like background noise. I had to turn it way the hell up though since cinnamon toast crunch is well, crunchy. aside from that you can casually watch and get the whole thing which is nice i guess. I still say Bugs or Tom and Jerry is where its at for my breakfast-time mazuma.

Anyway, kudos to foxdie for the suggestion though, a stroke of genius suggesting it as early morning fare. <just avoid the mimosas or you might get belligerent :P >
Old 2004-10-03, 23:16   Link #17
insomnia

Send a message via ICQ to insomnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by frowndog
I saw on the animenfo review section that myco would be doing one of the voices here... Not that it means much but, is this true?

myco is btw, the singer of Changin' My Life and she was also the seiyuu of Mitsuki in Full Moon wo Sagashite

Thats the same reason I want to watch this anime to!
Old 2004-10-03, 23:58   Link #18
Ed1

Damn, since L33t raw is gone, i can't watch this anime anymore
Old 2004-10-12, 00:05   Link #19
Zero_Blazer

Send a message via AIM to Zero_Blazer Send a message via MSN to Zero_Blazer Send a message via Yahoo to Zero_Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledeau
Three strikes...

That strangely reminds me of Evangelion.

Anyways, I'm new here, so don't go too hard on me. I've seen this, and personally, I think it's awesome. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper, it doesn't matter. It's all the same to me. I actually enjoy this even more than normal people, seeing that I am a semi-otaku, since I haven't seen a lot of animes. Another reason is probably because I've already played the game for the GBA too, which was also awesome.
Old 2004-10-12, 01:34   Link #20
Thelastguardian

When I saw the name, my immediate reaction was " Oh my god I know AMD's cpus are good, but they don't have to make an anime just for showing AMD saving the world."
XD

I used to many computer.

Is it a childish show? I haven't downloaded it yet.